Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday November 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
ortag49
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 206899
Vehicle:
2009 wrx
pearl white

Default Check Engine Light.....need some advice here.

Hey Everyone, I have 2009 WRX running an AEM CAI with Accessport Stage 1+ tune. I was on holidays and fueled up at gas station in a small town, I was a little apprehensive about the 91 octane seeing as it probably doesnt get much use, but I needed gas. I got back onto the highway, sped up to merge and the CEL comes on. Thought ****!! Bad gas, gas cap not tightened? Checked the code on my AP and it read PO304 PO303 PO302 and PFFFE. I tightened the gas cap reset the ecu and drove home, roughly 500 miles, no issues. That was 4 days ago. Tonight, get into my car, start it and bang, CEL comes on. Same codes. Can someone please help me out here. Is it Spark Plugs? Coil Packs? MAF? The fuel from the gas station is out of the tank so it cant be that. I could see there being one code from a bad coil pack but 3? Is that possible? Any help is appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ortag49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #2
Phatron
Scooby Guru

Member#: 36033
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

misfire codes. it could really be any of the things you listed.

leak, 02 sensor going bad, spark plugs, coil packs....start troubleshooting with the least expensive things. leak test...free, if you have a compressor. then spark plugs, then 02 sensor...then coil packs.
Phatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortag49 View Post
Hey Everyone, I have 2009 WRX running an AEM CAI with Accessport Stage 1+ tune. I was on holidays and fueled up at gas station in a small town, I was a little apprehensive about the 91 octane seeing as it probably doesnt get much use, but I needed gas. I got back onto the highway, sped up to merge and the CEL comes on. Thought ****!! Bad gas, gas cap not tightened? Checked the code on my AP and it read PO304 PO303 PO302 and PFFFE. I tightened the gas cap reset the ecu and drove home, roughly 500 miles, no issues. That was 4 days ago. Tonight, get into my car, start it and bang, CEL comes on. Same codes. Can someone please help me out here. Is it Spark Plugs? Coil Packs? MAF? The fuel from the gas station is out of the tank so it cant be that. I could see there being one code from a bad coil pack but 3? Is that possible? Any help is appreciated.
Pull up your A/F Learning 1 A,B,C,D monitors via the live data function on the Accessport (connected to car with ignition ON) and report back each value. Each individual value should be within around +/- 5%. If any one or more is way outside of that, a mechanical fueling issue could be ruled in as possibly a contributing factor. Make sure you've driven at least through a full tank of gas before relying on these values - that might be a good idea anyway as you might have had some bad gas and although you filled up again, depending on how empty the tank was when you filled up, it might still be a problem.

After you reset the ECU, were the codes that came back exactly the same as previously listed? Can you list all the mods that you have? Some, like a lightweight flywheel or crank pulley can cause false misfire reporting.

Problems with coil packs or injectors can certainly cause misfires, but it would be unusual for you to get multiple cylinder misfires for that to be the case (usually a single cylinder problem - not 3 at once). That would generally point to issues that effect all cylinders rather than individual cylinders.

If you have any neglected maintenance (or bought the car used and don't know when it was last done) - spark plugs, fuel filter, etc., I would take care of that now. It would need to be done anyway so best to do it now and rule it out as a cause.

I wouldn't do any aggressive driving until you figure out the problem.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
ortag49
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 wrx
pearl white

Hey thanks for the responses back, So I had to do a bit of a long drive to do today (120 miles) and did the A/F learning values, I know that you said to wait a tank of fuel but I'm a bit puzzled to the readings in one of my cylinders. Not sure if its running lean or what.

here where the values.

A 1.1%
B -0.4%
C -8.4% <---------------Thats whats concerning me
D -1.5%

These numbers were very consistent through the whole drive, I stopped a few times for lunch etc. and the numbers were all around the same values. what would that reading be, possibilities?

The codes the first time were not the same, it cylinder 2 and 3 the first time and the second time 2 3 and 4, but the second time was right on start up, no heavy accelerating whatsoever. Could this be a dirty injector, not sure if the negative value means its running too lean. Again, any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
Phatron
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

Those aren't per cylinder learnings....they are for different airflow ranges. The c range basically covers 10-40 g/s (grams/second)
Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
ortag49
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 wrx
pearl white

super new to all the readings and levels. So I really have no clue as to what is what and/or what im looking at. Its all japanese to me, lol.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Phatron
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

the AF learnings tell you the learned AF correction over certain mass air flow ranges.

A = 0 to 5 g/s (idle)
B = 5-10 g/s (kinda a tip in area)
C = 10-40 g/s (cruising)
D = 40+ g/s (wot)
Old 04-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
ortag49
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 wrx
pearl white

oh, haha. I thought it was A/F mixture per cylinder. so is that 8.4% normal you think on the C value?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
Phatron
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

No. Bill already told you that above.

Anything out of the +-5 range can be an issue.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
ortag49
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 wrx
pearl white

So what are my options to get that into normal range then
Old 04-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
Phatron