Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
North West Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
BiNiaRiS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 108358
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
1991 Legacy SS/257

Default Currently catless and failed emissions...easiest option?

I went in for DEQ in Portland yesterday and failed the visual inspection. On the first run my CO levels were 1.0098 and they need to be under 1. On the second run they were .979. I passed everything else but then they got the mirrors out and failed me since I'm catless.

I'm thinking my easiest option is to just throw a stock exhaust on just to pass?

The other issue I have is that my downpipe ends in a 3 bolt flange, not the standard 2 bolt that subarus should have. I'd have to get some welding done to put anything else on.

Is the visual inspection always done? If i try my luck at another DEQ station is there any chance I might get lucky and have them not look under the car?

Thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
BiNiaRiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
tobigforhisshoes
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251434
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
04 WRX
WRB 319/285 bobby tuned!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiNiaRiS View Post
I went in for DEQ in Portland yesterday and failed the visual inspection. On the first run my CO levels were 1.0098 and they need to be under 1. On the second run they were .979. I passed everything else but then they got the mirrors out and failed me since I'm catless.

I'm thinking my easiest option is to just throw a stock exhaust on just to pass?

The other issue I have is that my downpipe ends in a 3 bolt flange, not the standard 2 bolt that subarus should have. I'd have to get some welding done to put anything else on.

Is the visual inspection always done? If i try my luck at another DEQ station is there any chance I might get lucky and have them not look under the car?

Thanks.
Last time i went didn't have any issue being catless. But I'm due again the fifth month of this year.
tobigforhisshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
BiNiaRiS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 108358
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
1991 Legacy SS/257

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobigforhisshoes View Post
Last time i went didn't have any issue being catless. But I'm due again the fifth month of this year.
And you're in an 04? I'm in a 91. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Or I wonder if the fact that my first idle test I just narrowly failed made them suspicious.

I'm gonna roll over to another DEQ station, or 2 tomorrow and see if I can get lucky Would save me a ton of hassle...my tags are 6 months expired and I need new plates and can't fix them until I get through DEQ.
BiNiaRiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
tobigforhisshoes
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251434
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
04 WRX
WRB 319/285 bobby tuned!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiNiaRiS View Post

And you're in an 04? I'm in a 91. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Or I wonder if the fact that my first idle test I just narrowly failed made them suspicious.

I'm gonna roll over to another DEQ station, or 2 tomorrow and see if I can get lucky Would save me a ton of hassle...my tags are 6 months expired and I need new plates and can't fix them until I get through DEQ.
Keep us updated. A mirror fail would be my worst enemy.
Did you have to rev it up to 2000rpms?
tobigforhisshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
BiNiaRiS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 108358
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
1991 Legacy SS/257

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobigforhisshoes View Post
Keep us updated. A mirror fail would be my worst enemy.
Did you have to rev it up to 2000rpms?
Yeah, he said keep it at 2500rpms but his screen said 2300. Maybe I'll keep it at 2000rpms haha.

I'll keep you updated.
BiNiaRiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
tobigforhisshoes
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251434
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
04 WRX
WRB 319/285 bobby tuned!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiNiaRiS View Post

Yeah, he said keep it at 2500rpms but his screen said 2300. Maybe I'll keep it at 2000rpms haha.

I'll keep you updated.
If they say 2500 and you drop they will ask you to raise your rpm. Did the above in my Mazda p/u not to long ago.
tobigforhisshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
JamesBernard
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 180038
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Tigard, OR
Vehicle:
IB You dont even
own a subaru!

Default

I've been catless for years. Accessport FTW :]
JamesBernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
hillsboro
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84823
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: PDX
Vehicle:
11 STI
05 Outback XT

Default

You don't have an OBD II port. I am assuming they put a sniffer on your tailpipe. Your readings probably raised a red flag do the ran a mirror under your car. I have ran through DEQ at least 6 times catless with no problems. I do foresee them cracking down though because there are so many catless Subaru's around.
hillsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #9
tobigforhisshoes
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251434
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
04 WRX
WRB 319/285 bobby tuned!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsboro View Post
You don't have an OBD II port. I am assuming they put a sniffer on your tailpipe. I have ran through DEQ at least 6 times catless with no problems. I do foresee them cracking down though because there are so many catless Subaru's around.
From my understanding they are going to do away with deq period here in the near future due to all the extremely low emission vehicles on the road

And thanks for easing my mind. Almost had a melt down!
tobigforhisshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #10
hillsboro
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84823
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: PDX
Vehicle:
11 STI
05 Outback XT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobigforhisshoes View Post

From my understanding they are going to do away with deq period here in the near future due to all the extremely low emission vehicles on the road
That would be awesome! Salem doesn't have to go through DEQ. Only is lucky Portland-metro people.
hillsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #11
tobigforhisshoes
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251434
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
04 WRX
WRB 319/285 bobby tuned!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsboro View Post

That would be awesome! Salem doesn't have to go through DEQ. Only is lucky Portland-metro people.
Should be soon. But I have no factual basis. Just word of mouth. You know zombie apocalypse type talk. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiNiaRiS View Post

Yeah, he said keep it at 2500rpms but his screen said 2300. Maybe I'll keep it at 2000rpms haha.

I'll keep you updated.
Some one on Facebook said just bolt a factory cat heat shield on there and hang an o2 censor wire out of it. And shabang!

Last edited by tobigforhisshoes; 03-22-2013 at 12:23 AM.
tobigforhisshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
RedMonkey999
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 191476
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Olympia, WA
Vehicle:
2002 2.5RS AW
2007 FXT OBP

Default

Why are you running a catless setup on a street-driven vehicle?
RedMonkey999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
BiNiaRiS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 108358
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
1991 Legacy SS/257

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMonkey999 View Post
Why are you running a catless setup on a street-driven vehicle?
Car came that way. And even catless I'm still clean enough to pass so why does it matter?
BiNiaRiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
BiNiaRiS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 108358
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
1991 Legacy SS/257

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobigforhisshoes View Post
Should be soon. But I have no factual basis. Just word of mouth. You know zombie apocalypse type talk. ;-)


Some one on Facebook said just bolt a factory cat heat shield on there and hang an o2 censor wire out of it. And shabang!
Haha, that is what my buddy said last night. He was like time to break out the super glue.
BiNiaRiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
silverton
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331131
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Burien, WA
Vehicle:
2001 2.5RS
STM

Default

catless and still able to pass a sniffer test? tell me your secrets! Tuning probably?

Easiest way, without having to modify your vehicle any would be to get a cat pipe and a three bolt flange that would work with your current set up, take it to a muffler shop and have them swap the flanges.
silverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
Rootus
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89821
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: A Series Of Toobs
Vehicle:
2015 STI LE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiNiaRiS View Post
Car came that way. And even catless I'm still clean enough to pass so why does it matter?
Clean enough by what they measure. Catless cars still stink and shouldn't be on public roads.

FWIW, I've had the mirror check pretty much every time, so I assume it's policy. Maybe if you try a few times you may get a slacker who skips it. Might have to explain it later if you sell the car, but that's easy enough.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
BiNiaRiS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 108358
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
1991 Legacy SS/257

Default

Failed visual at Clackamas then went to Sherwood. Got this older lady that was super nice. Car passed and she didn't bother using the mirror.

Yay for me.
BiNiaRiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #18
tobigforhisshoes
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251434
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
04 WRX
WRB 319/285 bobby tuned!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiNiaRiS View Post
Failed visual at Clackamas then went to Sherwood. Got this older lady that was super nice. Car passed and she didn't bother using the mirror.

Yay for me.
What a trek.
tobigforhisshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #19
BiNiaRiS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 108358
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
1991 Legacy SS/257

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobigforhisshoes View Post
What a trek.
Haha, saved me the hassle of changing it now. Gives me 2.5 years to change it to something else. I can wait for the perfect exhaust setup
BiNiaRiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #20
Big_Hitter
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 10831
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Boise, ID
Vehicle:
2011 Ferd Ranger 4x4
2009 FXT Stage2

Default

easiest option imo would be to get a newer car, preferably one with a turbo
Big_Hitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #21
BiNiaRiS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 108358
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
1991 Legacy SS/257

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
easiest option imo would be to get a newer car, preferably one with a turbo
Just noticed I haven't updated my profile yet. My Impreza is out of commission. I'm driving a 91 Legacy Turbo with an Sti shortblock/18G and a 6 speed now. Its plenty fast for the time being. Maybe I should have specified that in my original post.
BiNiaRiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #22
SoobieNoobie89
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 202326
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Vancouver, WA
Vehicle:
2014 Subaru BRZ LTD
07 WRX-Sold 05 LGT-Sold

Default

Cat as exhaust tip. Problem solved.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/subyspawn/SLiMu...0/IMG_1195.JPG
SoobieNoobie89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #23
2011WRXMT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 270426
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Belgrade Montana
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Premium
Satin Pearl White

Default

Rootus if it stinks then plug your nose. To the Op move to Mt no emissions here=o) I will be catless in both subies eventually.
2011WRXMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.