Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 3, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
wrxnetherlands
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 351132
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2003 Blobeye(europe)
Black

Question Hi, and WRX oil questions + tips??

Hello evryone,

I bought my Subaru WRX with 130.000km 2 days ago its a 2003 (in europe) so in america the 2004 blobeye model!

So far i love the car. I drove a audi TT before, but this thing handles alot better! So far i dont have any mods except a remus exhaust (its not verry loud so i think just the muffler) and a forge BoV (wich doesn't seems to be set up right but thats another story..

Anyway here are some questions about the oil of the wrx.
When i recently checked my oil level it was at the bottom of the oil dipstick..
I'm not shure how long the car drove with this but did this damage my car? or is it possible its damaged? (no oil checklight on so far)

So i checked some of the maintenance records and i managed to see the oil the previous owner was using was 5w40 synthetic oil.
i bought the 5w40 and refilled it.

The owners manual tells me it needs to be 5w30.
Is it better to run 5w40 or can i switch back to 5w30 on my next oil change?
never did this before but i want to do this myself, heard its not too hard.

Hopefully it wasn't too bad for my car

cya
wrxnetherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Gmfergione
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338461
Chapter/Region: E. Canada

0. CONGRATS ON THE NEW WRX!

1. older WRX's like to consume oil. When I bought mine, I found it drinking about a quart every 1500-2000 miles. A couple things to check to make sure your car isn't drinking too much oil
----remove the oil cap while the car is running, see if you see white puffs of smoke coming out, that is known for a bad seal that can be devastating. A little positive pressure is a normal thing, just no smoke.
----Check to see if you have oil in your downpipe/throttle body, that can be a sign of a wearing turbo that may go out soon.

2. keep track of how much oil you have in there AT ALL TIMES. Our cars are notorious for spinning rods due to lack of oil, see #1...

3. 5W-40 is pretty popular for these engines as well. "Rotella T6" is revered as gods oil on this fourm. It can do no wrong. However, you will get both sides of that here - people who love it, and people who hate it. Personally, I use it and like it - this doesnt need to be another oil debate thread tho. Anyways, It's "Rotella T6 5W-40"

4. Get an oil pressure gauge and oil temperature gauge to keep track of everything, and your car will love you forever.

Hope that helps a bit, and welcome to the subaru family! Keep lurking and your learn a lot here!
Gmfergione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Gmfergione
Scooby Newbie

Id imagine that your car is not damaged tho if its just down at the bottom of the line. Do you hear any rod knock sounds? The fuel injectors can make a pretty loud clicking sound compared to most cars, so dont get it confused, but that would really be the only worry as far as I know.

***also, check out the BOV thread - they arnt really reccomended to have on the WRX, your bypass valve does the job perfectly up until 18+ PSI.

***get a compression test too, that is a great place to start with a new car.
***inspect all vacuum lines and check for leaks
***SEAFOAM! search for the thread, I use it and love it

***Changing the oil
1. Lift car
2. Jack stands
3. 17mm socket
4. Take off bolt on oil pan with said socket, drain oil, replace with new plug and crush washer
5. Take off oil filter, and replace with new filter - filling the filter and rubbing some oil on the filter o ring before replace
6. refill with oil - says 4.7qt, I generally go with an even 5qt

***There are quite literally tutorials around for ANYTHING you can think of too, Search function is your friend as well as "Scoobymods" website
Old 03-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
wrxnetherlands
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 351132
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2003 Blobeye(europe)
Black

Thanks for the fast replys!

I'll check the rotella t6 oil out, hopefully it will be available where i live (nl).

As far as the BoV goes, yea i know its running rich between shifts and i want to get rid of it. Will have to buy a new stock one, But the money goes to some fresh maintenance first :P

I don't think i have the rod knock sounds checked it up on youtube and my car sounds no where like that.
The oil wasnt at the bottom of the line tho, it was like 2/3milimeter at the end of the stick..

The seafoam, saw a video of it once. All that smoke from the exhaust looked pretty funny lol. Its for cleaning the engine right? wont this hurt anything? heard some people say it can be bad for your car.

Another quick question if you dont mind, if i just want to make my remus exhaust sound louder and hearable on the inside of the car, whats the cheapest way to do that? midpipe?

Thanks alot for your awnsers and help so far!!
wrxnetherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Gmfergione
Scooby Newbie

Regarding Oil:
Just recently getting my WRX in October, I had a learning curve with it as well. I had my oil not even register on the stick for a while - filling it up and almost thinking that I had a bigger resivour oil pan. Id put 4.7 in and it wouldnt even register on my dipstick, so if its registering at all - Id say its a safe bet, just watch it and keep it on the stick from here out - a compression test, and searching for oil leaks (tips above) will be a good bet to see if damage is already done too by the previous owner.

When you change your oil, look for metallic flakes in your oil. That will be a good sign of rod bearings scraping/wearing - meaning that there is damage done (as I mentioned, rod bearings seem to be the most prominent short block killer for our 2.0L from what I've seen here).

Regarding Seafoam:
Yeah it cleans out all the carbon deposits in your engine that cause a rough idle. From my knowledge, it basically just cleans the inside of your engine to help with the combustion cycle in general. It doesn't hurt anything, but if you have a boost gauge - disconnect it first before doing it. read the directions and do it right = all good.

Regarding exhaust:
I just got a new turboback exhaust New downpipe, midpipe, and muffler. If you car still has the stock downpipe, get a new one to increase the loudness. The stock DP has a catalytic converter in it that filters/slows/muffles the exhaust, and its right behind the turbo so basically muffling it from the start! I went the cheap route and got a catback from ebay (M2 performance) which fit beautifully and looks great! (highly reccomended!!) However, I wouldnt cheap out on a downpipe - mine fit like **** and I returned it to get an Invidia. However, its a good chance your car wont pass emissions with a catless DP - but it sounds like sex. Youll most likely need to do a CEL fix as well for the rear O2 sensor..."CEL mechanical fix" is a good term to start with a search

One last thing - the size of the piping as well. Stock WRX is like 2.5in piping I think. If your aftermarket exhaust is 2.5in, a 3in will be louder - and is pretty standard of what new downpipes come with. Youll need to do some research on your exhaust kit and see whats necessary. Catless downpipes, and 3in piping is a good bet for a loud exhaust tho.

***check local laws....where I live, no cats violates the clean air act, and is kinda illegal, havent been pulled over yet tho. the M2 and bellmouth downpipe by invidia makes it loud, but tasteful in my opinion. I dont like a loud fartcan style exhaust.

Regarding BOV:
check the classifieds of the forms/vendors - they can be a great help sometimes! I bet someone has a BPV cheap in there....

Best of luck man!

Last edited by Gmfergione; 03-23-2013 at 09:22 PM.