Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday September 28, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
junkboxer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 102873
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default Is installing new struts/shocks easy DIY?

i have an 06 wrx. just bought tockico d-spec shocks, swift springs and a rear sway bay. my friend is a general mechanic at Mavis. he offered that i come to his house one day to install the new struts and shocks.

my question is...will this be easy? does a general guy at mavis know how to do this? for example, i had to buy the TiC strut spacers for the rear struts because i have an 06. I have no idea what to do with these when installing...will he? is this an easy job to do in somebody's driveway? How long will the job take?
junkboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru

Member#: 97135
Chapter/Region: NWIC

Yes, its easy. How long it takes has a bunch of variables....experience, if you run into trouble (frozen nuts, etc). Generally, if you know what you are doing, it shouldn't take longer than 2-3 hours. I'm able to do them in about ~20minutes per corner, including jacking the car up and taking wheels off, etc.

The spacer should go at the top of the piston underneath tophat and top nut. like so:
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
424wrx
Scooby Guru

Member#: 171948
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
08 wrx stg3 vf52
14 legacy, 11 fozzy

not hard to do. ive had mine apart twice. will be a 3rd time next month to install camber plates. its all just bolts. probably a few hours to complete the job. an airgun is much easier. i struggled with bolts with hand tools my first go round. not again. bought a compressor and a kick ass ir 700ft lb 1/2 impact. make sure to watch the direction for the front camber bolts for reinstallation too.
424wrx is offline   Reply With Quote