Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > NASIOC Official News, Articles and Polls

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #251
fourmicah
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 128760
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Over there>
Vehicle:
2012 Ruckus/WRX
Red&White/Gray

Default

The worst thing Subaru can do is change this to make it look a little more mainstream. This is the best looking WRX they've made in years. Usually I see what they are coming out with and have to learn to like it. This one I loved from the beginning. It's about time they took a step back from what they've been doing and create something new.

I really hope that all of the spy shots with the test mule covered in camo are just that, a test mule. If they water this down and make it look like the Impreza as many of the spy shots would indicate, then this will be the last Subaru I buy.

Thankfully other companies like Mercedes Benz have decided to some out with some decent looking vehicles that are AWD and Turbo like the CLA45 AMG. At the current price point of the STI, with very little reason for why they increased the price, I am more than willing to spend the extra $10,000 for the CLA45 AMG.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
fourmicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #252
explicithero
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 15893
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: P-Burgh
Vehicle:
2004 STi
The color of the burgh

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourmicah View Post
The worst thing Subaru can do is change this to make it look a little more mainstream. This is the best looking WRX they've made in years. Usually I see what they are coming out with and have to learn to like it. This one I loved from the beginning. It's about time they took a step back from what they've been doing and create something new.

I really hope that all of the spy shots with the test mule covered in camo are just that, a test mule. If they water this down and make it look like the Impreza as many of the spy shots would indicate, then this will be the last Subaru I buy.

Thankfully other companies like Mercedes Benz have decided to some out with some decent looking vehicles that are AWD and Turbo like the CLA45 AMG. At the current price point of the STI, with very little reason for why they increased the price, I am more than willing to spend the extra $10,000 for the CLA45 AMG.
I was serious about my boss seeing it. It is almost exactly like the test mule.
explicithero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #253
fourmicah
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 128760
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Over there>
Vehicle:
2012 Ruckus/WRX
Red&White/Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by explicithero View Post
I was serious about my boss seeing it. It is almost exactly like the test mule.
Than this is an epic failure on Subaru's part. Sadly not only do they fail to make a good looking car anymore, but they're also far behind in what they offer on their vehicles. They have become far too over priced for what you are actually getting.
fourmicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #254
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
WRB

Default

The wrx and sti have barely increased in price since 2002 and 2004. No one even offers a true competitor for the wrx. Its nice to have an awd turbo car for 25k and its also nice to have a car that isn't overflowing with electronic nannies in this day and age. If you want something with a great interior and feature content you are looking in the wrong place and if you want it with awd and turbo you are looking at the wrong price range.
Celery GT-5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #255
StiRallyRunner
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318708
Join Date: May 2012
Default

@fourmicah i have to disagree with you all the cars Subaru has to offer are great looking which is something only a few auto makers can say. also the price you pay for what you get is a good value i mean they come with awd standard on all models except the Brz of corse and the performance and usability is great if you have a 5 door. i am in an agreement with celery its great that they don't spend all their money on the latest tech and features and that what they do spend that time on works well. don't get me wrong its nice to have all those extras from time to time but that is not what Subaru is all about and i am fine with that
StiRallyRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #256
fourmicah
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 128760
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Over there>
Vehicle:
2012 Ruckus/WRX
Red&White/Gray

Default

On some points I do agree with you, and some I don't. If you look at Subaru over the last 10 years it's pretty obvious that they have become complacent and it will bite them in the ass shortly. Look at the 2004 STI and tell me what has changed in the last 10 years? The car still comes with 305 HP, 6 Speed tranny, Brembo brakes, etc. When it came out the price tag was just over $32K. The only thing they have added is the SI Drive. You can't tell me that Navigation, Sunroof, and heated Seats are worth $8K to $9K? So what's changed?

During this time period was the recession where Subaru was one of the only car manufacturers that didn't decrease it's sales. So naturally they took this to mean that they had a loyal customer base that liked what they had to offer. Here is the problem though, they have done very little to provide increased value to the customer during that same time period. At my local dealership there are a bunch of STI's loaded with extra's like the SPT Exhaust and STS. But here's the interesting thing, they are charging you full MSRP for the extra crap, which in itself would be fine if you were getting the stock exhaust and shifter mechanism from the factory, but your not. So they are charging the customer full retail for parts and not giving you the OEM parts that should come on the vehicle or discounting it because your not getting them. That boarderlines on dishonest in my book.

Then let's look at the BRZ/FRS. Explain to me why you can get a 6 speed tranny on that car but you can't get one on the WRX? I'm not talking about the one for the STI, but just one that has 6 speeds. It's the dumbest thing I can think of, and they wonder why they aren't getting better fuel economy. Then let's look at the other features you can get on that car, like auto up/down on both front windows and push button start on the BRZ or limited edition Scion FRS.

Bottom line is that they have seen that they can put minimal into their cars and people are still buying them. Five years ago that would have been fine but when you can get many of these features on less expensive cars and in some cases down right crappy cars, it makes Subaru look like they could care less about what's important to their customers.

You can claim the whole AWD and Turbo thing all day long but in the end, it doesn't cost them anymore to build a WRX than it does Toyota to build a V6 SE Camry and I guarantee that it will give the WRX a run for it's money and it does it with more features for the same price. The only thing it doesn't have is AWD. Having worked in the auto industry, I know it doesn't cost them that much to put something in a car that they have been doing for the last 30 years. It's laziness and complacency, simple as that.
fourmicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #257
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
WRB

Default

What 8 or 9k? A 2013 sti sedan is ~34k

Also the brz needs a 6 speed because of it's lack of torque, the wrx has a mountain of torque, it doesn't need 6 gears for street driving. The 5 speed is part of the reason it's slightly faster than an sti stock for stock. If you want to go to the track where the ratios are going to hurt you, pony up for an sti.
Celery GT-5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #258
fourmicah
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 128760
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Over there>
Vehicle:
2012 Ruckus/WRX
Red&White/Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celery GT-5 View Post
What 8 or 9k? A 2013 sti sedan is ~34k

Also the brz needs a 6 speed because of it's lack of torque, the wrx has a mountain of torque, it doesn't need 6 gears for street driving. The 5 speed is part of the reason it's slightly faster than an sti stock for stock. If you want to go to the track where the ratios are going to hurt you, pony up for an sti.
A base STI is $35,065, but good luck finding one for that amount. You'll probably have to order it. So ask yourself this, why is the WRX only for street driving? Even if that were the case, they built a car that goes 150 MPH, yet runs just over 3000 rpm's at 80 mph in 5th gear. Its like saying here's you car but you can't fully realize the potential of the car because we skimped in certain areas. If the BRZ/FRS needed it because of the torque alone then why does the automatic have longer gears than the manual? The automatic almost has the exact same gear ratio as the STI.

Why is it that Hyundai offers a 6 speed in the Elantra and an 8 speed in the genesis? Why does Nissan offer 6 speeds in the Sentra? It's not for performance on the track, it's for efficiency and fuel economy on the highway. I'm as big a Subaru fan as anyone, but people need to stop being such fanboys and defending them and start thinking on their own and asking these types of questions. Defend them as much as you want but eventually your going to be paying even more while getting the same old car and other manufacturers will have come up with better products. A lot of the people that have been on here for a while have already started to see this and lookin at other products. Look at what Mercedes is going to be bringing out with the CLA45 AMG. That will be worth the $10k more you will spend over a fully loaded STI.
fourmicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #259
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
WRB

Default

I'm not a fanboy at all. The wrx is a very flawed car, but you are being unfair to it. The sti has 6 gears and 6th is shorter than the wrxs 5th...part of the reason it gets worse mpg. The brz's 6 speed auto has longer gears because it's less performance orientated and the acceleration numbers show that.

Also I've seen multiple base sti sedans at my local dealer over the past few years..I had a much harder time finding my car.

It's not that the wrx doesn't belong on the track, it's just not prepped for it like the sti..nothing under 26k is... It's a watered down sti that is more for someone who wants good performance but isn't going to go nuts or someone that is going to upgrade everything beyond what the sti has and doesn't want to waste money on sti parts that are all going to be replaced anyway.

No other automaker is willing to put out something like the wrx, that is what I like about Subaru...I just don't think they needed to make the interior quite so cheap feeling and skimp on the sound deadening so much which is why I doubt I will buy another wrx but I don't really like buying the same car twice anyway.
Celery GT-5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:25 AM   #260
cobaltorange
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 346302
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourmicah View Post
On some points I do agree with you, and some I don't. If you look at Subaru over the last 10 years it's pretty obvious that they have become complacent and it will bite them in the ass shortly. Look at the 2004 STI and tell me what has changed in the last 10 years? The car still comes with 305 HP, 6 Speed tranny, Brembo brakes, etc. When it came out the price tag was just over $32K. The only thing they have added is the SI Drive. You can't tell me that Navigation, Sunroof, and heated Seats are worth $8K to $9K? So what's changed?

During this time period was the recession where Subaru was one of the only car manufacturers that didn't decrease it's sales. So naturally they took this to mean that they had a loyal customer base that liked what they had to offer. Here is the problem though, they have done very little to provide increased value to the customer during that same time period. At my local dealership there are a bunch of STI's loaded with extra's like the SPT Exhaust and STS. But here's the interesting thing, they are charging you full MSRP for the extra crap, which in itself would be fine if you were getting the stock exhaust and shifter mechanism from the factory, but your not. So they are charging the customer full retail for parts and not giving you the OEM parts that should come on the vehicle or discounting it because your not getting them. That boarderlines on dishonest in my book.

Then let's look at the BRZ/FRS. Explain to me why you can get a 6 speed tranny on that car but you can't get one on the WRX? I'm not talking about the one for the STI, but just one that has 6 speeds. It's the dumbest thing I can think of, and they wonder why they aren't getting better fuel economy. Then let's look at the other features you can get on that car, like auto up/down on both front windows and push button start on the BRZ or limited edition Scion FRS.

Bottom line is that they have seen that they can put minimal into their cars and people are still buying them. Five years ago that would have been fine but when you can get many of these features on less expensive cars and in some cases down right crappy cars, it makes Subaru look like they could care less about what's important to their customers.

You can claim the whole AWD and Turbo thing all day long but in the end, it doesn't cost them anymore to build a WRX than it does Toyota to build a V6 SE Camry and I guarantee that it will give the WRX a run for it's money and it does it with more features for the same price. The only thing it doesn't have is AWD. Having worked in the auto industry, I know it doesn't cost them that much to put something in a car that they have been doing for the last 30 years. It's laziness and complacency, simple as that.
I couldn't care less about HP. Sure, Camry is up there in speed, but sheer fun? Not all. Great people mover though.
cobaltorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #261
fourmicah
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 128760
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Over there>
Vehicle:
2012 Ruckus/WRX
Red&White/Gray

Default

I can definitely see where you are both coming from. I guess I'm just disappointed that they have moved forward very little in the 10 years that the WRX/STI has been in the US. During which time many of the "competitors" have made huge advancements in what thy are willing to offer the consumer base at no or very little increase in price.

I think Subaru needs to realize that they'be created a bunch of performance monsters out of their consumers. Now that some of us are growing up, we want more than just performance out of our cars. I'm not asking for a lot, I would just like auto up/down and push button start to be standard on the STI and WRX. I don't think it's too much to ask. I also which they would quit adding their SPT junk to cars. Especially when they are going to charge full price and you're not even getting the OEM stuff that you are paying for in the cost of the vehicle.
fourmicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #262
texascanuck
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317045
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: texas
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatchback
SWP

Default lose weight & gain mpg

I would like to see the production version lose weight and get better miles per gallon (MPG) than the outgoing WRX. From a performance standpoint, a 3000 lb WRX with 270 hp would make a nice power to weight ratio jump over the current base WRX. If they can do that while increasing MPG then that would be a great start for the next generation of WRX. It seems that horsepower was never a weakness of the WRX for its class of vehicles, but MPG was.
texascanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #263
Tucci139
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336953
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza 2.5RS
Regal Blue Pearl

Default

The new 2015 concept is nice - but I would like to see a racing version for autocross/rallycross fans - basically be able to buy the car in a trim designed for rallycross or autocross. Also design bumpers that actually stay on the car and don't fall off with the slightest tap.
Tucci139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #264
StiRallyRunner
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318708
Join Date: May 2012
Default

What i would really like to see is car makers offer a special trim package that makes the car look exactly like the concept because i want a new Subaru that looks exactly like the NYIAS pictures in a 2 door
StiRallyRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #265
Gro Harlem
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 165782
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NoVA & MD
Vehicle:
2012 JSW TDI Stage 2
02' Graphite Grey Bugeye

Default

i wanna see the 5-door version dammit! And I hope they up the interior quality a bit with the redesign. Going from soft-touch dash/door panels on my GD to garbage hard plastics everywhere on the GE/GH/GR models was a disappointment with the current gen model and I'd be willing to spend the extra 2 g's to have a nicer quieter interior
Gro Harlem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:43 PM   #266
StiRallyRunner
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318708
Join Date: May 2012
Default

Frankly i Want a 2 door or maybe a 3 door if it looks good i hated that they never offered an impreza 2 door in america loved the look of the 22B but it was japan only unless you exported one
StiRallyRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:41 PM   #267
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
WRB

Default

get a brz
Celery GT-5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #268
reddoak
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 147628
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Columbia, MD
Vehicle:
2013 Beep beep
it's a Jeep.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiRallyRunner View Post
Frankly i Want a 2 door or maybe a 3 door if it looks good i hated that they never offered an impreza 2 door in america loved the look of the 22B but it was japan only unless you exported one
They sold Impreza 2 doors here. They didn't sell one with a turbo, though.
reddoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #269
StiRallyRunner
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318708
Join Date: May 2012
Default

@Celery when i first saw the brz i really wanted one but then i saw the WRX concept and was completely blown away and besides if the new WRX is going to be as performance oriented as they are claiming they should offer an all business 2 door at least as an option besides the 2 door picture i saw of it was amazing

@reddoak really i have never seen any and i was doing some reading online and it only mentioned that they were available in Japan and Europe
StiRallyRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #270
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
WRB

Default

Wasn't the two door pic just a photoshop?
Celery GT-5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #271
StiRallyRunner
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318708
Join Date: May 2012
Default



Yes but that still looks amazing if you ask me especially if it looks anything close to this at production but the only problem i am seeing as far as major changes from the concept to the test mule is that the roof is taller and the wing on the back which i could go with out
StiRallyRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #272
worldsubaru688
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 358582
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Tinton Falls, NJ
Default

love it!
worldsubaru688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #273
StiRallyRunner
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318708
Join Date: May 2012
Default

yea so i had an idea about the engine. I was thinking they should bring the 3.6 flat 6 from the legacy shoot for about 300 hp NA. Then for the STI version turbo charge it to about 400 hp it would be just the power update this car needs.
StiRallyRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #274
dREX85
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 354400
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Westchester, NY
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
DGM

Default

Unfortunately, the new WRX will look nothing like this concept. I saw the concept in person at the NY Auto Show and fell in love, I literally stood there for 30 minutes just watching it spin around. Then I took part in some research studies done by Subaru for the new WRX and was completely disappointed... The new one, or the one I saw, seemed very close to production ready, and it looked very similar albeit slightly more aggressive then the Impreza. It obviously gets wider fenders and the hood scoop, with a flat nose. They did put on a rear diffuser and you get the quad exhaust still. One thing in particular I disliked was the side mirrors mounted on the actual doors and the front quarter windows that make it look like a Prius. It did have nice looking headlights and tail lights in my opinion, nothing like the concept, but it did have led's that surrounded 3/4 of the head light housing.

On the plus side, interior fit and finish is much much better, with soft touch materials on and around the dash. I guess you would consider it leatherette. I also liked the turbo boost gauge built in where the clocks are on the 2011+ models and they used carbon fiber trim around the electronics...
dREX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:54 AM   #275
legacy_gt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 110270
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: H-Town
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
WR BLUE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourmicah View Post
A base STI is $35,065, but good luck finding one for that amount. You'll probably have to order it. So ask yourself this, why is the WRX only for street driving? Even if that were the case, they built a car that goes 150 MPH, yet runs just over 3000 rpm's at 80 mph in 5th gear. Its like saying here's you car but you can't fully realize the potential of the car because we skimped in certain areas. If the BRZ/FRS needed it because of the torque alone then why does the automatic have longer gears than the manual? The automatic almost has the exact same gear ratio as the STI.

Why is it that Hyundai offers a 6 speed in the Elantra and an 8 speed in the genesis? Why does Nissan offer 6 speeds in the Sentra? It's not for performance on the track, it's for efficiency and fuel economy on the highway. I'm as big a Subaru fan as anyone, but people need to stop being such fanboys and defending them and start thinking on their own and asking these types of questions. Defend them as much as you want but eventually your going to be paying even more while getting the same old car and other manufacturers will have come up with better products. A lot of the people that have been on here for a while have already started to see this and lookin at other products. Look at what Mercedes is going to be bringing out with the CLA45 AMG. That will be worth the $10k more you will spend over a fully loaded STI.
the 5 speed helps faster 1/4 and 0-60 numbers to sell, can compete with any car at this range and even more (motor trend has it beat the m3), great for a daily driver that doesn't want to shift too much especially in traffic cities.

really if they put a 6 speed, there would be even less sales on the sti. I think the latest wrx can be argued a better deal for many than the sti.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.