Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Alaskan Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Alaskan Impreza Club Forum -- AKIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #76
kayetealynn
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 253304
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Eagle River, AK
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza 2.5RS
Plus MOAR

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadgene View Post
Really not trying to stir the pot here, but this is a great illustrative point. The intolerance you mention Davin, of Calebs' view (loosing all respect for him for expressing himself), how is it any more tolerant than someone being a homophobe? Where is the compassion for his upbringing and perception? Doesn't the blade cut both ways?

No matter how PC this world has become, people are still allowed their convictions and opinions, the breadth of choices out there are wide and varied, we meet somewhere in the middle. The spaces
in-between leave room, for you and I to grow.
Really Mike?

Stating your views is COMPLETELY different than implying that there is something WRONG with people that think differently than you (IE: Implying that the reason transsexuals/homosexuals/gays/lesbians/bisexuals/whatever subcategorypeopleseethemselvesin exist is because they were dropped on their heads as babies by their mothers). Simply stating your view point is fine - but Caleb crossed the line and in all reality the issue should have been addressed 6 months ago by the moderators because coming out and stating something like that is completely ignorant, distasteful and is OBVIOUSLY offensive. It shouldn't have needed to be reported - that statement spoke for itself and the moderators should have had enough common sense to take that off our PUBLIC forum. BECAUSE they failed to address this issue, and in a sense failed in their duties to uphold the rules of this board - it has caused tensions between certain AKIC members and Caleb to leave the boards and pass into real life.

I am not offended when people say they don't believe in gay marriage, and I'm know Davin feels the same way - I think everyone should have a voice, even if it's different than mine. What I am offended by is statements that support the idea that people who think differently than you are somehow less human, that there is something wrong with them, and that they don't deserve the same respect as anyone else. And yes, people who come out or "express" that idea tend to lose my respect. This has NOTHING to do with the way Caleb was raised, his age, or anything else to do with his background and has everything to do with the fact that what he said was completely inappropriate and offensive. Respect is something that needs to be earned, and Caleb coming out and apologizing that he was wrong for making that particular statement about transsexuals goes a long way in repairing the damage that was done and maybe one day everything will be able to go back to where it was before.

You however, and a completely lost cause - and I'm sure you feel the same way about me. Which is fine with me by the way, until you come out and tell my friends to "be compassionate" towards ignorant bull****.

Back on my ignore list you go.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kayetealynn is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #77
Dominator
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 156712
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Vehicle:
1991 Legacy SS
Pearl White

Default

Agree to disagree and move on. Don't talk to certain people, don't preach religion or politics. That stuff has no business being in this forum.

I'm just here for the cars. Let's talk about cars.
Dominator is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #78
AKSubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 6214
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Wasilly
Vehicle:
92 Corrado SLC
01.5 S4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayetealynn View Post
Stating your views is COMPLETELY different than implying that there is something WRONG with people that think differently than you.

Until you come out and tell my friends to "be compassionate" towards ignorant bull****.
So essentially, stating ones opinion is fine, unless that persons views are so different that they become offensive to you? Perhaps those WERE his beliefs.

Not to drag this into a huge pissing match, the FACT still remains respect (tolerance?) is a 2 way street, no matter how you try an skew it. Granny shared his views on life a few months ago which apparently ruffled feathers. I agree he should not have used the word "FACT" in his post he quoted, but you must also realize he was sharing HIS viewpoint. Whether you find that view wrong or right, that is his view which he is entitled to have. (including the dropped babies) If you are a tolerant person, you would respect that those are his views, you would share your views if different, and BOTH would find some sort of common ground, a mutual respect if you will. Hence Mike saying "compassion" (at least how I interpreted it), and that "ignorant bull****" is someones opinion.

The "losing my respect" bit shows, in part.. you are intolerant of those that disagree strongly with certain convictions of yours. While you claim respect must be earned by you, so must it be earned of you. You must show tolerance and respect before you can gain either.
AKSubie is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #79
chanomatik
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggie 907 View Post
mods discriminate hippie images..lol
Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

I like what Ben said. You go Ben. So much growth potential is lost when people get caught up in the petty, passive things. It's hard to stay mad at someone that's young, too, since they're still figuring out themselves and the world. Hell, we're all young in my book, except maybe Kiwi and Dubya.
chanomatik is online now  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #80
Mavrik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 90347
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage AK
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ & Imp 2.5RS
Yamaha FZ8

Default

Maybe its time for a beer party. big cases of cold beer in a circle with chairs around it. Everyone sit in a circle and get drunk, smoke a fat one and talk. If you still disagree after it all... thats your problem.

I'll host the party, everyone bring some beer and lets work this all out.

If you don't drink beer, well... not going to apologize because I do

And Dalvin I lost all respect for you not texting me the last time you went to the bush. Seriously... heh
Mavrik is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #81
Shaggie 907
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 256102
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

ya know a few of us old timers where talking ablout re-hashing the old knik party scene
Shaggie 907 is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #82
AKSubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 6214
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Wasilly
Vehicle:
92 Corrado SLC
01.5 S4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggie 907 View Post
ya know a few of us old timers where talking ablout re-hashing the old knik party scene
That we were. I still think it would be a good idea to re-establish them.
AKSubie is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #83
Shaggie 907
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 256102
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

i know todd was itching for this as well
Shaggie 907 is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #84
_davin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 260501
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5dr SWP Ltd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrik View Post
Maybe its time for a beer party. big cases of cold beer in a circle with chairs around it. Everyone sit in a circle and get drunk, smoke a fat one and talk. If you still disagree after it all... thats your problem.
If nothing else, this is all making me regret having yet to meet most people on here. Unfortunately between school and work I have very little free time right now. I'm not usually a very social person at all, but I hope this summer can be a very social one full of new friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrik View Post
I'll host the party, everyone bring some beer and lets work this all out.
If you don't drink beer, well... not going to apologize because I do
Phil if you make this happen and I'm able to attend I will bring some Twisted Tea or Jeremiah Weed for myself and any other weirdos. It should also be an install party, I need to swap my suspension again... among other things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrik View Post
And Dalvin I lost all respect for you not texting me the last time you went to the bush. Seriously... heh
That is my bad, but it wasn't planned and it was very uneventful.

I would also like to apologizes for not just PMing my reply to Caleb as he had requested, I was tired and in the spirit of sharing.
_davin is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #85
LiLpNoY
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 94836
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage
Vehicle:
2oo5 STi Aspen
2o12 PiLoT CherrY

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrik View Post
Maybe its time for a beer party. big cases of cold beer in a circle with chairs around it. Everyone sit in a circle and get drunk, smoke a fat one and talk. If you still disagree after it all... thats your problem.

I'll host the party, everyone bring some beer and lets work this all out.

If you don't drink beer, well... not going to apologize because I do

And Dalvin I lost all respect for you not texting me the last time you went to the bush. Seriously... heh
When? Its been too long!
LiLpNoY is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.