Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 27, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
locozildjiangodx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 355323
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Limited HB
WR Blue

Default Downpipe Volume Questions

Hey all,

I have a 2013 stock hatch with SPT exhaust and it already is rather loud, but only annoyingly so at 70+mph for long distances. I am contemplating going stage 2 this spring, but I am concerned about the volume the downpipe may add. The goal is to get the stage 2 benefits without adding volume. I am okay with the pitch/tone change with the downpipe, though.

Has anyone tested DB levels for a 2011+ with SPT exhaust vs with a catted downpipe? I'd like to know the volume difference between the two.

That all being said, I will likely also look into getting sound deadening installed and think a resonator may help with the drone. Thoughts?

Thanks!
locozildjiangodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
Ryandc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 35475
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2013 STi
Black

I have the Spt on a 2013 Sti sedan. It was painfully loud in the cabin. I used dynamat pretty much on the entire trunk, spare well, rear qtr panels. An entire bulk pack of the dynamat. It lowered levels to an acceptable level. I just went stage two with a catted invidia dp. The tone did change a lot. It was more of a deep drone with just spt. Much more throaty with downpipe. But the tone change actually lowered some volume in the cabin. But noticeably louder outside the car. Especially at wot. Now I can hear a difference with windows up vs down. Louder when down. Where before it almost seemed louder with the windows up. Pm me and I can send a video of what it sounds like to you. I know that some say the spt is on the quieter side but not in my case. It's louder than my buddy's sti with the full nameless setup. But even with dynamat and me now not thinking it's too loud. ( I'm a 42 yr old doctor with two kids) my wife still complains it's too loud for her and can't hear me on Bluetooth over the exhaust noise.

Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
Ryandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
Ryandc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 35475
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2013 STi
Black

Oh to be clear too. I'm on a sedan where the muffler setup is different so I'm not sure how that relates to your setup completely. But yes dynamat helped a lot. And the sound change from stock do to catted invidia is awesome. She sounds so mean now. I get comments almost daily from random people telling me how good it sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
Ryandc is offline   Reply With Quote