Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday January 28, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #51
ogboot
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170906
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
psm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Adam View Post
ok as Ezil started this with a question of what turbo to use, me I'm going with the Blouch td05h 16gxt, got the STi TMIC, PE 850cc injectors, walbro 255, Cobb 3port EBCS. Already rebuilt heads, engine, trans(4EAT[bad back can't shift a stick anymore]), Tanabe bellmouth 3" TBE, Cobb SF intake with box, Cobb AP, and will have it tuned when I install the 3port. if I did my homework right I should hit 350chp with ease and keep it a semi-safe DD. Just really hoping to have something fun and stock looking, don't want anyone to know what I have under the hood.

any suggestions on what else I may need would help.
It's not a requirement per se, but while you're installing you might as well take care of the uppipe if you still have the original. The stocker is catted, eliminating the cat will help with flow. More importantly, with the age of our bugeyes there can be some concern with the possibility of the cat deteriorating and giving your turbo a nice snack. It's happened before.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ogboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #52
jack klompus
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152885
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2014 Malibu LTZ
silver

Default

16G XTR would be my choice if I were to do it again. The XTR didn't exist when it got the XT, or I would have gotten it. I am more than happy with the XT however.

BTW these threads are pointless. Everyone will just recommend what they have without any objective data. My advice is to go with the e-85 is it a option. It's like running race gas everyday. Only better.
jack klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #53
vinwrx28
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243836
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

Default

By the way, what's the different btw 16g vs 16g XT vs 16g XTR ?
vinwrx28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:36 AM   #54
Irish Adam
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353785
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Naples, FL
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Yeah ogboot I did get the matching up pipe for the exhaust, I am sacrificing some power by keeping the factory exhaust manifold because I love the sound, plus in my experience with my old 300zx turbo the aftermarket helped with low end torque but sacrificed the spool. deciding to go with a set of Deatschwerks 650cc so I can keep it in the realms of 20mpg on the way to whatever track I decide to race at. Plus when I do race I don't want to land in the heavily modified category and get my ass handed to me by a crx with 20k invested by a pro sponsor.

Jack In southwest FL we don't have to many places that have E-85 pumps/stations. I would love to use it, due to the fact that it is bordering on pure race Alcohol and is legal for street use. E-85 having the equivalent to 116 octane and I can get my hands on AV gas all day long(250+ gallons at a time).

Vin I don't know the difference other than I have read that there are alot of companies that produce 16g's now and the quality isn't as good but it is getting better, I got the Blouch because it is a direct bolt-on for my REX and it keeps the spool in the same range for my driving style, But hits its peak faster in the same time as the factory TD04L. Which I found out after putting the car back together that the coolant seals failed, so it was a small excuse to get the 16gXT.

and when my Leggy Dies, there is an excuse to do another Hybrid build!!!

Last edited by Irish Adam; 04-20-2013 at 01:45 AM. Reason: adding another response
Irish Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:21 AM   #55
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Adam View Post
Yeah ogboot I did get the matching up pipe for the exhaust, I am sacrificing some power by keeping the factory exhaust manifold because I love the sound, plus in my experience with my old 300zx turbo the aftermarket helped with low end torque but sacrificed the spool. deciding to go with a set of Deatschwerks 650cc so I can keep it in the realms of 20mpg on the way to whatever track I decide to race at. Plus when I do race I don't want to land in the heavily modified category and get my ass handed to me by a crx with 20k invested by a pro sponsor.

Jack In southwest FL we don't have to many places that have E-85 pumps/stations. I would love to use it, due to the fact that it is bordering on pure race Alcohol and is legal for street use. E-85 having the equivalent to 116 octane and I can get my hands on AV gas all day long(250+ gallons at a time).

Vin I don't know the difference other than I have read that there are alot of companies that produce 16g's now and the quality isn't as good but it is getting better, I got the Blouch because it is a direct bolt-on for my REX and it keeps the spool in the same range for my driving style, But hits its peak faster in the same time as the factory TD04L. Which I found out after putting the car back together that the coolant seals failed, so it was a small excuse to get the 16gXT.

and when my Leggy Dies, there is an excuse to do another Hybrid build!!!

d00000000000000000d...my 16g on my 2.0 got 27-28mpg on the road if i kept it under 80mph

its ALL in the tune
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:37 AM   #56
Irish Adam
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353785
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Naples, FL
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Thanx Uncle Scotty, what size injectors are you using to keep it there. I started to get an avg 32.7 on the hwy when I flashed cobb stage 2 before my oem turbo failed. so I'm using it as an excuse to build it to what I feel the wrx is really capable of doing.
Irish Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #57
rexblake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 178426
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FoCo
Vehicle:
2010 Audi S4
Black

Default

Double
rexblake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #58
rexblake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 178426
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FoCo
Vehicle:
2010 Audi S4
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinwrx28 View Post
By the way, what's the different btw 16g vs 16g XT vs 16g XTR ?
The 16g was 35lb/min. The 16gxt is 41 lb/min (better flow because if better aero), the xtr is 37lb/min and is ball bearing.

I believe those are the correct numbers. I don't have time currently to double check Blouch's numbers.

Edit: 1lb/min flow is roughly equivalent to 10hp.

Last edited by rexblake; 04-20-2013 at 12:54 PM.
rexblake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #59
Irish Adam
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353785
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Naples, FL
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Yeah rex the XTR is a ball bearing but the price tag is a lil higher than I am willing to spend to get my baby back running, plus that spool would catch me off guard really fast. but it would be fun. when I get another or break something again, it might be in my range of financial abilities to purchase and I'll already have everything. Plus for fun I'm gonna get another 205 long block and do a full forged build over the time that I have her running. when and if something happens I'll have an immediate drop in ready for fun.
Irish Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #60
rexblake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 178426
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FoCo
Vehicle:
2010 Audi S4
Black

Default

I think you'll like the 16gxt. It's actually a little bit bigger than the old school 18g.
rexblake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #61
Irish Adam
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353785
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Naples, FL
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

yeah I hope/know I will. A lot of friends are asking my why I'm going with larger injectors, I have to keep reminding them that I don't want to air dry my pistons and run lean to the point that I kill my pistons. but the XT is the closest I have found to keep my driving style the way it is without having to prepare for the massive boost kick associated with larger turbos.
Irish Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:25 AM   #62
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Adam View Post
Thanx Uncle Scotty, what size injectors are you using to keep it there. I started to get an avg 32.7 on the hwy when I flashed cobb stage 2 before my oem turbo failed. so I'm using it as an excuse to build it to what I feel the wrx is really capable of doing.
injectors are, really, irrelevant....unless ya go 1100's or some stupid **** lile that

its ALL in the tune
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #63
Irish Adam
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353785
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Naples, FL
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Ok so I'll just keep the one's that I have in there. but I am going with the 16GXT that is on its way, need a replacement and might as well have something that is already pro built, balanced and has the ability to add more if I decide to do more. plus you get what your pay for. thanx Uncle Scotty.
Irish Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #64
vinwrx28
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243836
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

Default

Talking about the 16gXT, will a 750cc get to 300whp with AP, up pipe, dp, STI exhaust, STi ic , ebc, turbo inlet, & 255 walbro pump. And pro-tune ?
vinwrx28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #65
207STi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 197062
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vermont
Vehicle:
1998 Swapped Impreza
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinwrx28 View Post
Talking about the 16gXT, will a 750cc get to 300whp with AP, up pipe, dp, STI exhaust, STi ic , ebc, turbo inlet, & 255 walbro pump. And pro-tune ?
Depends on the fuel, dyno, and tune. For simplicity's sake yes it will most likely get you there on 93.
207STi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #66
acqui
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 153235
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero
Black

Default

I was in the same situation as you were 6 months ago with regards to upgrading my turbo to something that was a bit better power wise than the stock one. After quite a bit of research and speaking to a few different people, I went with a low mileage VF34 with all of the supporting mods . After getting it tuned, it put down 285 whp @ 19 psi on 93 octane on a Mustang AWD dyno. I wanted to dial it back a bit so we went to 17.5. It's now putting down 266whp/240tq. It's a great spooling turbo and very good as a daily driver with very good mid range and upper end pull. If you can find one, I think it's also worth consideration.
acqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #67
vinwrx28
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243836
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

Default

Thanks..
vinwrx28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #68
azscooby
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 115297
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Mesa, AZ
Vehicle:
2002 ej207 vf34
WRB

Default

I'd have to agree with the vf34....I've run a td04, a td04 with 19T wheel upgrade from Blouch, a 16g and a vf34.
BY FAR the vf34 was the best "feeling" turbo. Quickest spool by far.
Sorry, no hard numbers, all road tunes by the same tuner.

Just my opinion.
azscooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #69
Piperporsche180944
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306000
Join Date: Jan 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezil71 View Post
Before anyone flames, yes I have done my research, but I need some more help and input.

If it were still around, I'd get an evo III 16g. From what I've read, the xt isn't as responsive, and the xt-r may be a bit much for my 03 tranny.

An 18g with a 7cm hotside is an option, but I'm not sure how the low end/spool factor would be annoying for a DD.

The 16g is phased out by blouche, and a vf48 may be my best bet for my goals.

My main goal is a fast spooling, smooth powerband up to DD/highway speeds (I don't track or autox). Torque is more of what I'm after.

Ideally I'd go to a 2.5, but I don't have the resources for that right now.

Mod are:

Turboxs TMIC
Turboxs cat’d stealthback
Grimmspeed uppipe
Maddad Whisper Dual tip Axle Back
Cobb SF Short Ram intake
Perrin Pulley
Gimmick Turbo Inlet
Gimmick after MAF hose
Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS
Mishimoto Radiator
Walbro FP

My current map has me at 218whp (which according to my tuner in nasioc terms is about 270whp .

To quote my tuner "one of the strongest td04's he's seen"

1st gear sucks - which I know is mainly the 2.0. 2nd and 3rd gear pull is great, with 4th and 5th dropping off.

When I was in VA on 93 oct, my 1st gear response was much better, but I'm in Oregon with 92 now, so I need something that will account for that.

I had a test map with the kind of response in 1st that I want, but the fuel and turbo were unhappy, largely thanks to the crappy gas. Stock injectors are maxed.

From what I've read perhaps a vf22 or vf34 would fit the bill, but it sounds like the vf48 beats those?


Any input on other mods, or turbo options appreciated.

Thanks
HX35
Piperporsche180944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #70
Irish Adam
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353785
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Naples, FL
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Ok so I got my 16GXT in the other day, installed it with along with the STi TMIC. it is running fine, but doesn't have that same boost kick like it did, which I am grateful for. I don't see it as lacking power, its more of a smooth roll on whether its from take off or when I downshift and raise the RPM level, Guessing the added volume of the TMIC is making it have to build more pressure before it has the same effect of the stock TMIC and OEM turbo? Plus I know I have to get my 3port EBCS installed and have it ProTuned so I can get the benifit of the 3port and get rid of the boost lag. That XT does kick in at around 3150rpm and runs smoothly, I really like the progressive power it creates.
Irish Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #71
shano
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 223839
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Java black

Default

I hope your not driving in boost un-tuned with that new turbo.
shano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #72
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Adam View Post
Ok so I got my 16GXT in the other day, installed it with along with the STi TMIC. it is running fine, but doesn't have that same boost kick like it did, which I am grateful for. I don't see it as lacking power, its more of a smooth roll on whether its from take off or when I downshift and raise the RPM level, Guessing the added volume of the TMIC is making it have to build more pressure before it has the same effect of the stock TMIC and OEM turbo? Plus I know I have to get my 3port EBCS installed and have it ProTuned so I can get the benifit of the 3port and get rid of the boost lag. That XT does kick in at around 3150rpm and runs smoothly, I really like the progressive power it creates.

you NEEEED a t00000000n
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #73
The Phenx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 95823
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2003 Imprezza Wrx
WRC BLUE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezil71 View Post
My main goal is a fast spooling, smooth powerband up to DD/highway speeds (I don't track or autox). Torque is more of what I'm after.
259.1hp 242tq avg 244/238 using TD04 Prodrive parts + w/Prodrive tune + a few other mods.
19.1psi @2650 rpm.

Spoolup is insane when your hovering around 3500rpm.

1st gear hits like a rocket. Esentially Prodrive changed how the boost comes on and has it start WAY early in the pedal, so the throttle plate is still mostly closed when the wastegate closes, allows it to come on way early in the pedal and rpm, and really fast. Their engineer was a genius.

Not hitting it at max here.. but you get an idea. 2nd gear 25mph to redline pull at around 1 min... 3rd gear 55-redline pull @ 1:19sec... 25-75 pull @ 2:53

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLSDbRvgj0o

I know you cant buy their parts here anymore but maybe you can use some of the theory in your tune.
The Phenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #74
ezil71
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207118
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: West Linn, OR
Vehicle:
2003 Wrx Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phenx View Post
259.1hp 242tq avg 244/238 using TD04 Prodrive parts + w/Prodrive tune + a few other mods.
19.1psi @2650 rpm.

Spoolup is insane when your hovering around 3500rpm.

1st gear hits like a rocket. Esentially Prodrive changed how the boost comes on and has it start WAY early in the pedal, so the throttle plate is still mostly closed when the wastegate closes, allows it to come on way early in the pedal and rpm, and really fast. Their engineer was a genius.

Not hitting it at max here.. but you get an idea. 2nd gear 25mph to redline pull at around 1 min... 3rd gear 55-redline pull @ 1:19sec... 25-75 pull @ 2:53

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLSDbRvgj0o

I know you cant buy their parts here anymore but maybe you can use some of the theory in your tune.
How is the mpg?

As a daily driver, that kind of tune might get expensive!
ezil71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:17 AM   #75
John__Gotti
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 70598
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Vehicle:
The Oil patch, as
fun as it sounds

Default

^you are driving the wrong car if MPG are a concern.
John__Gotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.