Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday June 29, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #1
XanderTheGoober
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 403167
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
blue

Default New clutch, less feedback

So the clutch on my 08 impreza 2.5i just went out last weekend at 115K
I was on my way to the mechanic to drop off my girlfriend 05 impreza to look at a different issue and a half mile away from the shop my clutch gets really loose and goes all the way down to the floor before disengaging.
If it weren't for the burning smell I would have thought slave cylinder but we figured out it was actually the throw out bearing that went bad. the bearing literally burned up and melted.
Fortunately for me that means no flywheel machining was needed as the friction plate itself was still good, worn but still good so no damage was done.

After I get the car back the clutch feels much better as far as where it engages and disengages but there was much less feedback, not as stiff as it was.
Any ideas on why that might be?
The mechanic said the bearing was a different design, assumed to just be updated from the factory design.

Any one else experience this? Do I just need to do a proper break in and it should provide more feedback? I can get used to the lighter feeling clutch if need be but it just feels so foreign right now... I have been driving the car since Monday night when the repair was finished. Any feedback appreciated. thanks!
XanderTheGoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2016, 07:05 PM   #2
XanderTheGoober
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 403167
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
blue

anyone have any ideas?
XanderTheGoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:46 PM   #3
CP911
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 437617

I say drive it for a thousand miles and report back. I recently went through the same thing going from a Porsche 997.1 to my '16 WRX. Clutch pedal on the 911 was much stiffer and when I started driving the WRX it was so light that I could hardly tell what was going on. Had no "feel" as you say. After 2500 miles I now am totally adjusted to it and can feather it perfectly even with the radio blasting (at first I needed to hear what was going on with the revs). I can't imagine going back to a stiffer clutch that tires the lower leg that much faster. I just needed to get used to the softer clutch feel and less pronounced bite. I suspect you do too.
CP911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
Stevo12
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 438561
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
WRB

When I replaced the original clutch in my Miata last year w/ a new OEM Exedy kit, the pedal was a lot lighter than it had been. It hardened up over the next 2K or so miles as the parts wore in. Check back in a month or so after you've got some mileage under its belt.
Stevo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
MikeSomething
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 259376

Had my clutch and entire clutch assembly changed on my '08 WRX from the dealership... Clutch is a lot lighter, 50k miles later, no problems and I love it....
MikeSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #6
JaQuan15
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 436181
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX
WR Blue

I bought my 08' WRX two and a half weeks ago and didn't end up getting it until 5 days after I purchased it because the dealership had to do something with the power steering rack. So Wednesday finally comes and I have the car and I start smelling some type of burning scent. I didn't think anything of it until Sunday came when i started loosing power going into gears. So i contacted them back and brought it in.. Some how some way the clutch was slipping, mind you I did not burn the clutch or anything so it had to be the previous owner. Make a long story short I was on my way to VERY important meeting and my car totally lost all power on the highway... We'll just say I was not a very happy camper that day. So they replaced the clutch and flywheel and now I have a brand new clutch that i'm totally getting used to considering the fact I had never driven a car with a brand new clutch ... It's been 4 days since and i'm still stalling out once or twice a day or getting shaky starts but I'm getting there. Little fun story on my clutch problems ...
JaQuan15 is offline   Reply With Quote