Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday November 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
klaus_b2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318411
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: North Carolina
Default XXR 531 fitment? 17x9

hey guys, first off, im new to having a wide wheel so just bare with me. I just got some 17x9 xxr 531 and i think im gonna have a problem fitting them to my car. I test fitted them on my car today and they are about a fingernail from hitting the strut. I was thinking im going to have to run spacers but whats the smallest spacer i could run? The wheels are now flush with the fender and i dont want too much pokeage. Help anyone?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
klaus_b2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
20lgt05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 237444
Join Date: Feb 2010
Vehicle:
2005 LGT limited
BSM

Default

you can probably run a 3mm spacer and be fine. are they that close in all four cormers?
20lgt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
klaus_b2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318411
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: North Carolina
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20lgt05 View Post
you can probably run a 3mm spacer and be fine. are they that close in all four cormers?
alright sweet i really wanna rock these wheels lol and no. the fronts are good. its just the rears that are tight

Last edited by klaus_b2; 04-18-2013 at 06:10 PM.
klaus_b2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
20lgt05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 237444
Join Date: Feb 2010
Vehicle:
2005 LGT limited
BSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus_b2 View Post
alright sweet i really wanna rock these wheels lol and no. the fronts are good. its just the rears that are tight
you might be able to get away with 5mm spacers. do you have any other pictures? i was looking into these wheels but was unsure how they looked on a subaru
20lgt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
rmarchigiani
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 164584
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: North Liberty, IA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STi
SSM

Default

Whats the offset right now on those wheels? BTW...love the look of those! Nice pick up.

I do agree, you could probably get away with something small, 3-5 mm.
rmarchigiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

thats MORE than enough room.....

the distance between the wheel/tire and the strut is a constant distance. it doesn't change. if you want to run an extra wide tire, then yes, you might want some small spacers depending on your camber.

and lol @ ccw knockoffs.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
rmarchigiani
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 164584
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: North Liberty, IA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STi
SSM

Default

^^^I agree with him, it is a constant distance, which is why you might need nothing at all. But you wont know that until you properly set the car up...ie - mount tires/wheels, camber, alignment....drive the car.

As far as knock offs....yes they are, doesn't change the fact that they look good and are more affordable.

To each their own....enjoy them.
rmarchigiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
klaus_b2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318411
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: North Carolina
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarchigiani View Post
Whats the offset right now on those wheels? BTW...love the look of those! Nice pick up.

I do agree, you could probably get away with something small, 3-5 mm.
thanks man, and they are +35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
thats MORE than enough room.....

the distance between the wheel/tire and the strut is a constant distance. it doesn't change. if you want to run an extra wide tire, then yes, you might want some small spacers depending on your camber.

and lol @ ccw knockoffs.
thanks for the info. and i drive a 2.5i which means i dont go fast, so no need for real ccw lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarchigiani View Post
^^^I agree with him, it is a constant distance, which is why you might need nothing at all. But you wont know that until you properly set the car up...ie - mount tires/wheels, camber, alignment....drive the car.

As far as knock offs....yes they are, doesn't change the fact that they look good and are more affordable.

To each their own....enjoy them.
hopefully i wont but well see once i get tires mounted, thanks for the help guys!
klaus_b2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #9
rmarchigiani
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 164584
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: North Liberty, IA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STi
SSM

Default

If I were you I would get the wheels on and get the car set up to where you want it. Then drive it a little before your alignment this you can see if it rubs. This way you don't have to align it twice if you end u needing spacers.

GL man

Rafe
rmarchigiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #10
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarchigiani View Post
If I were you I would get the wheels on and get the car set up to where you want it. Then drive it a little before your alignment this you can see if it rubs. This way you don't have to align it twice if you end u needing spacers.

GL man

Rafe
you dont need an alignment for spacers...
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
rmarchigiani
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 164584
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: North Liberty, IA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STi
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
you dont need an alignment for spacers...
Although I agree with you.....if you push a wheel further out from the hub....even 3 mm.... You may have to run additional camber to fit the wheel and avoid rubbing on the fender or to avoid the "poke" look, which in turn can mess with toe. So in theory, you may need an alignment after the addition of a spacer, indirectly related to the spacer, to fix camber/toe.

I'm no expert, but that's my understanding. And if it were me and I changed my setup to fit after placing a spacer, I would realign my car to make sure my toe is in check.
rmarchigiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
klaus_b2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318411
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: North Carolina
Default

yeah but the thing im not understanding is, wont the tire hit my strut when i hit bumps and stuff?
klaus_b2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
rmarchigiani
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 164584
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: North Liberty, IA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STi
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus_b2 View Post
yeah but the thing im not understanding is, wont the tire hit my strut when i hit bumps and stuff?
No it shouldn't. Once the wheels is bolted to the hub, it shouldnt shift toward the strut. If it did, something would be seriously wrong.
rmarchigiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #14
klaus_b2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318411
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: North Carolina
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarchigiani View Post
No it shouldn't. Once the wheels is bolted to the hub, it should shift toward the strut. If it did, something would be seriously wrong.
haha yeah, hopefully thats not the case
klaus_b2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:53 AM   #15
20lgt05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 237444
Join Date: Feb 2010
Vehicle:
2005 LGT limited
BSM

Default

Post up some more pics
20lgt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #16
klaus_b2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318411
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: North Carolina
At the Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20lgt05 View Post
Post up some more pics
Of what? Just the rim on the car? Or with the tires? Cause I wasn't planning on getting tires til about 2 more weeks
klaus_b2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #17
20lgt05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 237444
Join Date: Feb 2010
Vehicle:
2005 LGT limited
BSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus_b2 View Post
Of what? Just the rim on the car? Or with the tires? Cause I wasn't planning on getting tires til about 2 more weeks
Yea I want to see how they look on the car
20lgt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
klaus_b2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318411
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: North Carolina
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20lgt05 View Post
Yea I want to see how they look on the car
I'll post up a pic once I get some tires on em
klaus_b2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #19
besthaticouldo
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 279660
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: STL
Default

just because you dont go fast doesn't mean you don't want real wheels



just saying....
besthaticouldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
klaus_b2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318411
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: North Carolina
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
just because you dont go fast doesn't mean you don't want real wheels



just saying....
damn that sucks, howd you do it?
klaus_b2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #21
besthaticouldo
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 279660
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: STL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus_b2 View Post
damn that sucks, howd you do it?
it wasn't me. but the car was in an accident.
besthaticouldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #22
klaus_b2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318411
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: North Carolina
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
it wasn't me. but the car was in an accident.
then im sure real wheels wouldve had the same result haha
klaus_b2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #23
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarchigiani View Post

Although I agree with you.....if you push a wheel further out from the hub....even 3 mm.... You may have to run additional camber to fit the wheel and avoid rubbing on the fender or to avoid the "poke" look, which in turn can mess with toe. So in theory, you may need an alignment after the addition of a spacer, indirectly related to the spacer, to fix camber/toe.

I'm no expert, but that's my understanding. And if it were me and I changed my setup to fit after placing a spacer, I would realign my car to make sure my toe is in check.
Having to run additional camber to fit spacers doesn't mean spacers require an alignment.

Spacers have nothing to do with needing an alignment.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #24
rmarchigiani
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 164584
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: North Liberty, IA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STi
SSM

Default

We can agree to disagree.....Im not going to be an internet tough guy and pretend I know it all, cause I don't.....but in my humble opinion, if you put spacers on and you need to adjust your set up to fit the wheels properly because of the spacers, ie dial in negative camber.....then you need an alignment afterwards.

Therefore, spacers indirectly affect the need for an alignment.

However if you put spacers on to clear brakes or struts, and do nothing else besides put the spacers on, then I agree, you do not need an alignment since you did not change camber/caster/toe. So Spacers do not always need an alignment, I agree, but then can indirectly lead to one, if other suspension mods are done.

Last edited by rmarchigiani; 04-20-2013 at 10:23 PM.
rmarchigiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #25
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarchigiani View Post
We can agree to disagree.....Im not going to be an internet tough guy and pretend I know it all, cause I don't.....but in my humble opinion, if you put spacers on and you need to adjust your set up to fit the wheels properly because of the spacers, ie dial in negative camber.....then you need an alignment afterwards.
This would be needing an alignment because you are doing something stupid. You require an alignment because you are messing with the camber, not necessarily because you are using spacers.

Quote:
However if you put spacers on to clear brakes or struts, and do nothing else besides put the spacers on, then I agree, you do not need an alignment since you did not change camber/caster/toe. So Spacers do not always need an alignment, I agree, but then can indirectly lead to one, if other suspension mods are done.
Correct. Spacers do not and will never directly require an alignment.

its not about being a "tough guy", its about posting correct information in a technical forum.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.