Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
AIDRIIAN
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 350104
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
OBP

Default 07 wrx turbo help?

Hey guys. So i just recently bought an 07 wrx, and it has to go for inspection soon because it came from out of state. I found it that it has a catless invidia dp with some kind of straight pipe exhaust. i need to buy a stock dp and exhaust to pass inspection, obviously. im not sure if the turbo is the stock td04. it looks like it but im not sure and i really dont want to take it out. if i do buy the stock dp, it should just bolt right on and not have problems right? what should i be looking for if it doesnt fit properly?

Thanks for looking.

Adrian
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AIDRIIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
Mr.02
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 140697

Your invidia down pipe was designed to fit the stock turbo, therefore if you buy a stock down pipe it will fit the turbo in the car. My guess is the turbo is stock. 100% sure a stock dp with fit with no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIDRIIAN View Post
Hey guys. So i just recently bought an 07 wrx, and it has to go for inspection soon because it came from out of state. I found it that it has a catless invidia dp with some kind of straight pipe exhaust. i need to buy a stock dp and exhaust to pass inspection, obviously. im not sure if the turbo is the stock td04. it looks like it but im not sure and i really dont want to take it out. if i do buy the stock dp, it should just bolt right on and not have problems right? what should i be looking for if it doesnt fit properly?

Thanks for looking.

Adrian
Mr.02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
AIDRIIAN
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX
OBP

Okay thats great. Thanks for the reply. Kinda new to Subaru mods if you couldnt tell.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
art@grimmspeed
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 301037
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Aspen White

Darn inspections! You should be able to find a oem DP pretty cheap. Even if the turbo is not stock most of the popular upgrades as far as turbo goes will mate up with the oem DP.
art@grimmspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
ewrx05
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 71158
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2007 WRX Limited
SWP - VF48

Quote:

Thanks for looking.

Adrian
What type of engine management are you running?? Accessport or other?
Are you trying to put the car back to stock permanently?
If not, try to borrow a stock exhaust locally instead of buying.
ewrx05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
AIDRIIAN
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX
OBP

No I've just got the stock EM. i probably will add an AP later down the road but i just want to get the exhaust back to stock mainly to pass inspection and then ill look into getting a Blitz Nur. That way i can keep the oem dp on but still be a nice loud sound.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
UGM_hawkeye
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 238245
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
WRX 07-Mayhem Tuned
280whp/295wtq - VF34

Just popping in here with a quick 2 cents...
If a downpipe and straightpipe were installed, how safe are you in assuming that the ECU hasn't been tuned?
While it may not be an aggressive tune, having a tuned ECU and going back to stock parts may not be the healthiest thing down the road if your car is expecting a lot more. If I were you, I would get in touch with a local tuner. They should be able to see what kind of tuning was done. I know in the Subaru world, most of the time that you put a downpipe on a tune is required.
UGM_hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
AIDRIIAN
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX
OBP

[quote=UGM_hawkeye;39631574]Just popping in here with a quick 2 cents...
If a downpipe and straightpipe were installed, how safe are you in assuming that the ECU hasn't been tuned?
While it may not be an aggressive tune, having a tuned ECU and going back to stock parts may not be the healthiest thing down the road if your car is expecting a lot more. If I were you, I would get in touch with a local tuner. They should be able to see what kind of tuning was done. I know in the Subaru world, most of the time that you put a downpipe on a tune is required.[/QU

Would i still expect a tune if the only engine mods are a dp and aftermarket exhaust?
And would there be anything noticeable at idle or cruise?

Last edited by AIDRIIAN; 04-19-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
ewrx05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX Limited
SWP - VF48

Yes, an 07 wrx with an aftermarket downpipe needs a tune.

I would make figuring this out a priority. With no tune, your motor is at risk of damage, if it's not damaged already. I think it would be overboosting - not sure if you have a gauge. And you could have issues if you put a stock downpipe on there, but there is in fact a tune. Maybe you can contact the previous owner and find out. Or post in your local forum for some help. Someone with a tactrix cable and a laptop could probably figure this out for you, or go to a tuner.

After you get all that figured out, i think you'll be wanting to put your downpipe back on, with the appropriate tune. Unless you're happy with stock power levels. But the car is much nicer at stage 2, IMO.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
ewrx05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX Limited
SWP - VF48

... and you have an aftermarket BOV? and no tune? is that all the mods?
i see you have a bunch of threads going....
Old 04-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
UGM_hawkeye
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 238245
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
WRX 07-Mayhem Tuned
280whp/295wtq - VF34

Like ewrx05 is saying, it's best to find out what exactly is going on with the car. In the meantime, drive it softly.
Get a phone number or two of some local (reputable) tuners. Tell them you just picked up this car and you want to get a quick look at what's going on. If they help you now, they're securing business in the future if you have future plans and mods. I can't imagine this would even be that expensive anyway.
Once they can see what's been changed, ask what you should do for the cars benefit if you're serious about changing parts around right now. They should be able to answer any question you have, even passing smog, etc.
UGM_hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
AIDRIIAN
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX
OBP

Everything that has been said makes a ton of sense. but the problem is, the car is not registered because it was bought from out of state and in order for it to get registered it needs to pass smog...which i obviously cant do with no cats or muffler. And there is a boost gauge, but its not hooked up. I have started the car, listened to it run and it runs very smooth except for some black smoke from the BOV. Would it be okay if put the stock exhaust on for a day or two, then put my aftermarket parts on and go to a tuner?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
ewrx05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX Limited
SWP - VF48

have you posted to your local forum to see if someone with a tactrix cable can help you out? If you don't have a check engine light, you could have a tune. I think a downpipe would throw a CEL eventually unless another mod was done.

If you're out of optoins, put the stock parts back on, including a stock BOV if you can get one, and get through inspection, then get it checked out. I would try and stay out of boost on your dirve.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
xanthus29
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 118313
Vehicle:
2007 WRX Wagon
WRB

I inadvertently ran a DP without EM (thought it was the proper tune) for a couple weeks on my 07 WRX and now I need a new short block. As others have stated, figuring out your EM should be your immediate priority. Mine didn't throw a CEL, just ran terrible.
xanthus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
AIDRIIAN
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX
OBP

ok ive looked into Tactrix and im going to get the Openport 2.0. so if i can find a stock 2007 wrx base map which i have, unchanged, would reflashing the stock map allow me to put the stock parts back on?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #16
MakeItRoar
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 284844
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited
Obsidian Black Pearl

Quote:
it runs very smooth except for some black smoke from the BOV.
.....did this not jump out at anyone else?
MakeItRoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #17
ewrx05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX Limited
SWP - VF48

Quote:
ok ive looked into Tactrix and im going to get the Openport 2.0. so if i can find a stock 2007 wrx base map which i have, unchanged, would reflashing the stock map allow me to put the stock parts back on?
Yes, flash the stock 07 wrx map and install all of the stock parts, including a stock BOV, at the same time. Are you able to verify that you have a stock boost control solenoid, and not a manual controller or GM solenoid or other? I'd try and confirm that as well.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #18
sc00ter
Scooby Guru

Member#: 117767
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2011 STI Sedan
DGM

Once you get all the stock parts back on and pass inspection, your very next stop should be to get a compression and leak down test. I'll be very surprised to see that your motor is healthy, at this point . But I'm hoping for the best.

Good luck!

Also, ewrx05, I coppied your Vehicle description because the layout is much cleaner than mine was.

Last edited by sc00ter; 04-25-2013 at 05:06 PM.
sc00ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #19
ewrx05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 WRX Limited
SWP - VF48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post

Also, ewrx05, I coppied your Vehicle description because the layout is much cleaner than mine was.

how are you liking the vf-48? my only regret is not doing it 100k miles ago!
car is night and day better and i've only tuned it up to 16 psi tapering to 14.5.
still have headroom but the trans is always in the back of my mind.

good luck aidriian, keep us posted.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #20
sc00ter
Scooby Guru

Member#: 117767
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2011 STI Sedan
DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewrx05 View Post

how are you liking the vf-48? my only regret is not doing it 100k miles ago!
car is night and day better and i've only tuned it up to 16 psi tapering to 14.5.
still have headroom but the trans is always in the back of my mind.

good luck aidriian, keep us posted.
Absolutely loving it. Tuned for 17psi tapering to about 15.5. My tuner also made me a higher performance map at 19psi tapering to 17.5psi but I don't use it often at all since he said it wasn't safe for daily driving.

I've been on this setup for almost exactly a year now and have had no issues (knock on wood). The power difference from stage 2 on the TD04 is just not even comparable. I'd do the upgrade again in a heart beat.

With the hot weather right around the corner I just installed the Perrin DP blanket, PTP turbo blanket and installed the SPT heat shield to help combat the heat soak a bit. I've already noticed a decrease in spool time with the blankets installed, which I love.

I thought about getting an e85 tune this summer, but like you, I'm pretty scared of blowing the transmission (even though I never launch it). I think I'll leave it as is since I'm extremely happy with it anyway.

Sorry for the thread jack OP.

Last edited by sc00ter; 04-25-2013 at 07:16 PM.
sc00ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #21
coalslaw
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 324808
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2006 IWL Stg2
OBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthus29 View Post
I inadvertently ran a DP without EM (thought it was the proper tune) for a couple weeks on my 07 WRX and now I need a new short block. As others have stated, figuring out your EM should be your immediate priority. Mine didn't throw a CEL, just ran terrible.
i AM VERY SORRY TO HEAR THIS...MARK THIS MAN'S WORDS...MARK THEM WELL.
coalslaw is offline   Reply With Quote