Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 31, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
BeBop86
Scooby Guru

Member#: 147776
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
'02 Impreza WRX
'85 Toyota Corolla

Default My ESP Legal Engine Swap (2007 WRX TR EJ255 into 02 WRX)

BeBop86's Engine Swap

A little background: I've been autoXing in the "Street Prepared" catagory with my local car club (Chuckanut Sports Car Club) for some time and had been wanting to be fully class prepped to be a bit more competitive and gain some needed low end torque.

I found an awesome deal on a 2007 WRX TR EJ255, so this post will be my log of the project.

The engine swap is allowed in Street Prepared due to the update/backdate allowance, but parts have to be swapped in whole (That means I you can't do a hybrid setup, and would have to use the whole EJ255 AVCS motor). That also means I need wiring, ECU, immobilizer, etc, etc. in order for everything to work as it should.

I can't swap in an STI motor under Street Prepared, as it is not in the same class level (BSP vs ESP). Doing so would put me in Street Mod, and I don't want to go there... yet.

You basically need anything that makes the motor run, so the 06/07 parts needed are:
  • EJ255 complete engine.
  • All wiring harnesses, bumper to bumper, and both fuse boxes.
  • ECU & all immobilizer equipment.
  • Gauge cluster (optional, but will make a few things easier).
  • Steering wheel, clock spring, & signal/wiper block (optional, but makes wiring easier)
  • DBW accelerator pedal & bracket.
  • ABS pump & engine bay lines.
  • Airbag control unit and all related sensors (optional, only needed if keeping airbags).
  • Steering column + ignition cylinder (optional, but makes things easier).
  • Chipped Keys.
  • Door & trunk lock cylinders (optional, but will prevent you front needing two keys).
  • Fuel pump controller.
  • Power relays for fuel Pump, DBW, & ECU.
  • TD04 (The 06/07 TD04 is different than the 02-05, this matters if you autoX)

I'm pretty excited to get started, but I will more than likely have to wait until September to start. The motor only has 46,000 miles on it (my 2002 EJ205 has 153,xxx miles)

I'll be performing the swap at Johann's place (Girodisc) so he'll be there to give me some guidance (He's partially done this swap on his old wagon before)

7/15/2011 - New engine on stand before tear down (going to replace head gaskets and check condition):

7/15/2011 - Just a small portion of the required complete wiring harness:

9/2/2011 - My last odometer reading on the old motor in this car (I'll miss the yellow needles):

8/30/2011 - Began stripping the interior before heading over to Johanns:

Another angle:

9/3/2011 - Picture taken from Saturday afternoon after the first full day of working on project. Most everything removed from engine bay:

Removed fenders to prevent scratching and to get to wiring:

9/6/11 - Worked Tuesday night and Wednesday morning further on preping the engine bay for paint and then the interior for welding the DBW pedal bracket to firewall. I cut off the bracket for the old windsheild washer bottle, as it won't fit with the new fusebox:

Scrubbed down engine bay. Taped opening under windshield to prevent me from spraying water in the interior:

Last edited by BeBop86; 11-11-2011 at 04:56 AM.
BeBop86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
BeBop86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'02 Impreza WRX
'85 Toyota Corolla

9/6/11 - I cut a section of the firewall that had the DBW bracket off of doner car to have for compairson to weld onto my firewall. I spray painted the original bracket to have an outline when I drill out the spot welds:

Said old DBC bracket:

New bracket and chuck of doner car firewall:

9/15/2011 - Bracket welded and POR15'd:

9/15/2011 - I forgot to re-tape the holes after washing the engine bay, so my firewall looks a bit emo, but the sound deadener mat and dash cover it anyways. Also got most of the wiring in back in the car, just need to route everything and attach the fasteners:

Began reinstalling new wiring harness:

9/16/2011 - Started installing items back in the engine bay as well. The Passenger front 07 brake line's hose was stripped and fused to the hard line, so I just reused my 02 line with a little bending.

Engine bay after one coat of POR15:

Installed my Killer B oil pick-up tube and Baffle / Windage Tray... amazingly well built pieces:

Last edited by BeBop86; 11-11-2011 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
poly_poly-man
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 262988
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WRB

funny, this thread looks awfully familiar...

if you swap TB's, you need to swap ECU's (and then you can take advantage of AVCS). If you don't, you can keep your ECU, and you won't be able to run AVCS, but the heads will still work.
poly_poly-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
BeBop86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'02 Impreza WRX
'85 Toyota Corolla

That thread is more so along the lines of "What would be required to be ESP legal"...

This is, what would be required to fully swap over to an 07 WRX engine. a log of my project.

Some PM's i've sent/received:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccanixx
Gauge cluster is nice but not necassary.

Airbag module only if concerned (I wasn't)

It's best just to get the whole steering column, engine, wiring harness.

Get the crossmember for a quicker rack.

Good Luck,

Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBop86
Do you know if I can use my steering wheel with that column?

Is the rack really that much quicker, or only slightly?

I'm pulling all the parts off the doner car and it's not local to me, so I need to grab all I need when I can... hopefully I can get everything I need.

Thanks!

-Nick
Quote:
Yes the 02 momo works. ABS plug would need to be modified.

Yes the rack is night and day quicker. Do it.

Also grab the front wheel speed sensor. The engine bay connector plugs are different on them. The 02 ones wont mate up.

You'll really want the factory service manuals for each year your messing with. Like the windsheild wiper motor plug is the same but pinned differently.

Also the power windows etc are pinned differently. You can either pull each door harness from the donor car or repin the 02's.

Lot's of little things like that.

Cheers

Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBop86
So, the 02 abs pump will work, or easier just to get 07 pump?

I plan on pulling ALL wiring, want this to be almost 100% plug and play.

Do you know if the wrx fuel tank wiring is the same (i know sti wiring isn't)
Quote:
You will need the abs pump, the ecu will flake and the 02 abs will not work.

Even though I changed out the fuel pump wiring I think I remember it being the same after I was done.

But yeah get everything you can it will make it easier.

Last edited by BeBop86; 09-24-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
BeBop86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'02 Impreza WRX
'85 Toyota Corolla

9/16/2011 - Engine bay coming together. Mounted fuse box base and added brake lines:

9/21/2011 -> 9/23/2011 - Got alot done over my three day weekend. The car is around 90% completed to run, and about 70% completely finished.

Previous owner of the engine/wiring painted the fusebox WRB... will eventually repaint it:

Almost all of the electrical and mechanical items are all installed in the interior:

The engine is in!! I deleted the TGV motors and am waiting for the holes to be welded and gaskets to come in, which is why the intake manifold isn't installed.

9/29/2011 - Today I installed more interior pieces, and finished installing everything needed in the engine bay, which made the motor ready for it's first start in it's new home......

New gauge cluster mileage (Picture for reference, need to add about 106,415 miles to show to chassis mileage.)

Last edited by BeBop86; 11-11-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
BeBop86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'02 Impreza WRX
'85 Toyota Corolla

9/30/2011 - Pictures taken before I mounted the intake manifold (last piece needed to start car).

9/30/2011 - So... first engine start attempt didn't go so well:

Turned the engine over a couple times (pulled ignition fuse so I could get the engine oiled up a bit first) and everything sounded fine.

Grabbed Johann to listen while I turned it over again (put ignition fuse back in), but this time it stopped turning over... story continued here

Long store short, had fuel lines connected wrong... Doh!

10/5/2011 - After removing the spark plugs then blowing out all the fuel that was in the engine
cylinders / fuel evap lines, and changing the oil, it was ready to try again... and it worked!

10/15/2011 - As of today, it seems to be running fine. However I sometimes have an lopy idle and will get a P0301.

I changed spark plugs, swapped coils, and next on the list is to check for the AVCS oil filters in the banjo bolts (just learned about), and then a compression test. As soon as the car is 100% and washed, I'll get some better photos taken.

Side note, drove a fellow CSCC member's 2006 WRX TR (D-stock) at the last local autoX in September and finally our last event this last weekend and both times I won my class and ended up 4th over-all out of about 60 participants! Was pretty stoked about that... too bad it wasn't in my own car.

11/11/2011 - Update: I'm still hunting for a few parts before I go in for a tune.

Installed my gauges:

Tutorial here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...7#post35610177

I also received my special order Spec-C Type-RA part in the mail!
Since the mirror controller wiring is no longer in the regular location, I bought this to cover up the hole.

Last edited by BeBop86; 11-11-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:27 AM   #7
BeBop86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'02 Impreza WRX
'85 Toyota Corolla

There are a few '02 items with different connectors than what are found on the new 07 harness. Luckily, ALOT of the wire colors remain the same and just use a different plug.

I highly advise using "marine" or weather proof butt-connectors for any and all re-terming. After you crimp them, you use a heat gun which makes the insulation not only shrink but there is a sealant on the inside to prevent any moisture from penetrating. I used to use soldering all the time, but after reading up on the subject, close to nothing can beat a 'good' mechanical connector (BUT, this requires you to use quality tools, and with that previous statement, not just any crimper will do.) Plus, the time it takes to make a 'good' solder joint, I can finish terming the wires together with a 'better' crimp connector.

Something that made things 10,000% nicer and easier was having a scrap wiring harness (in this case, an automatic bugeye WRX one Johann had laying around). It gave me access to all the plugs I needed PLUS huge lengths of the correct wire colors which allowed me to not only extend things when I needed, but to keep the wiring color scheme the same!

Rear Fuel Tank Harness - If you don't want to drop your fuel tank and want to use your
existing wiring (like I did), you'll have to swap the 02's two plugs for the 07's single plug:

Here it is after wraping it in electrical tape and my neato 'euro' fleece tape:

Here is my modified wiring diagram to attach the '07 pigtail to the '02 wiring harness:

Side Airbag impact Sensors - The '07 plug is circled, and the old '02 sensor pictured below. I'm
not sure if all the sensors would work or not with the '07 airbag ecu, so for now, i'm not going to
re-wire any SRS stuff just to be safe... (Update: installed the '07 side impact sensors, they
look exactly the same, but with different plugs).

A/C pressure sensor - This uses the same plug and wiring, but the '02 sensor is back near the
strut tower, where I guess the '07's sensor is right next to the headlamp. extended it to reach.

Headlamps / Turn Signals / Clearance Markers / Fog Lamps - This one is kinda obvious in
my case. The '07's have everything pinned to one plug, so I had to trim the plug off and
separate them accordingly. The wire coloring is all the same, so if you have the
pinouts from the FSM, it's pretty easy:

ABS G Sensor - This is right in front of the e-brake, both years use different plugs

Radiator Fans - I decided to term the old plugs on and use the old fans. The new connector
uses 4 pins vs 3 pin, but that extra pin is only a ground, which you can tie them together

Windshield Wiper Motor - Uses the same connector, but just had to re-pin it

Rear Window Defroster - The 02 has two separate
plugs for positive and negative for the rear windows defogger, where the 07 has a single plug
with both leads. I used some female spade connectors and extended the positive lead from
the 07 plug and left the 02 chassis ground:

Rear Door Wiring - need to do this one still

Air Pump Delete - I cut the barometric pressure sensor off the secondary air pump, so I
could delete the pumps:

TGVs - Picture of them after being welded. Still need to grind the welds flush and paint:

Last edited by BeBop86; 11-05-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
BeBop86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'02 Impreza WRX
'85 Toyota Corolla

Side Markers - I've been meaning to wire these up nicely and found some time to do so. The drivers side is connected directly off the the main wiring harness leading to inside the cabin. The passenger side has a bit more wiring, extending from the headlamp back. That spare wiring harness came in handy again, giving me some plugs that fit and wiring color that is color accurate:

Windshield Washer Bottle - The 07 bottle fits in the driver sider bumper/fender well, but I had to cut a hole in order for the filler neck to fit through. None of the existing bolt holes line up to the mounting points, so I will need to add some (might look into a nutzert riveter). This is actually a nice piece to add, as it puts the weight lower to the ground if it's full. You could also do this to add a second bottle for meth on 02-05:

Here, circled in yellow, are the two new main attachment points for the washer bottle (The top one hasn't been added yet). I picked up a nutsert rivet gun at harbor freight, unfortunately it's in SAE. Not too big of a deal though as I shouldn't be needing to remove it often, nor is it in the way of anything.

Here is the bottle bolted in place. I painted the three bolts with red plastidip so I know they are SAE.

It fits through nicely, althought a bit higher than it would normally on the 06/07. I drilled a small hole on the radiator fan shroud and attached the filler next mounting point to that.

Mounting point.

Last edited by BeBop86; 11-11-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
BeBop86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'02 Impreza WRX
'85 Toyota Corolla

Rear Door Wiring - I didn't get the door wiring as part of the purchase, so the easiest fix was to just re-term the 07 wiring with my old 02 pigtails. My old wiring harness will be going into another one of Johann's project cars (girodisc) so we will be changing the connectors anyways:

Last edited by BeBop86; 11-11-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
BeBop86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'02 Impreza WRX
'85 Toyota Corolla

All TD04's Are Not The Same - Just to help clarify things, these photos are showing the differences between an '02 TD04 and an '07 TD04. Though the differences are minor, they are different, and because the turbo is considered part of the engine, to be ESP legal you have to use the newer turbo:

Last edited by BeBop86; 11-11-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
WR Boxer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 171395
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Java Black Pearl

Good luck. I'm excited to see progress. Sub'd.
WR Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #12
BeBop86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'02 Impreza WRX
'85 Toyota Corolla

Thanks man!

Added a bunch of new pictures to the above posts.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #13
sense of nature
Scooby Guru

Member#: 112759
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 STi Mikey Tuned
SexyRP

Looks great, is there a certain weight your shooting for ?
sense of nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #14
BeBop86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'02 Impreza WRX
'85 Toyota Corolla

I think Greg (mccanixx) was around 29xxlbs, so that would be nice... just need to find a scale.

Also, the engine is in and I have more pictures to come (i'm editing my posts to put stuff in better order and because of the 10 pictures limit per post)
Old 09-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #15
BeBop86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'02 Impreza WRX
'85 Toyota Corolla

My new work schedule has me working late Monday / Tuesday, so I hope to start her up on Wednesday.

Also, as per Greg's thread: Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccanixx View Post
Vehicle Weight at Lincoln in May 2008 was 2933lbs.

Side question, are the pictures working for everyone?

Last edited by BeBop86; 10-15-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:57 AM   #16
KpT KiM
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 242422

They are working for me! This is really cool. I wanted to do this, but decided to wait a little longer before going for a full swap, being a freshman in college. So, I went with a hybrid and a new 18G haha. Can't wait to start autocrossing again to see how I fare in SM. Good luck with this though. I'll be rooting for you at nationals!
KpT KiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:05 AM   #17
BeBop86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'02 Impreza WRX
'85 Toyota Corolla

Thanks alot

I'd love to go to nationals, but tires are so damn expensive! I'd have to buy 18x10s and then buy Hoosiers for them which those tires run $1400 alone (and they only "last" a good 60 runs).

This is mainly for local club sports, but my goal is once I feel like I've improved my driving skills enough, to try out for them. In the process though, I'd like to have a fully class prepped car... which I'm not too far from.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #18
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

couldn't you pop on the VF52 and call it an 08 EJ255?
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #19
girodisc
Former Vendor

Member#: 177674

The 08 WRX setup will bump him to the same class as the STi. He was telling me a guy did the swap into his 03 and then they changed the rules.

Johann @ Girodisc
girodisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #20
UWMechEngr
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 193756
Vehicle:
2014 BRZ
#75 STX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBop86 View Post
Thanks alot

I'd love to go to nationals, but tires are so damn expensive! I'd have to buy 18x10s and then buy Hoosiers for them which those tires run $1400 alone (and they only "last" a good 60 runs).

This is mainly for local club sports, but my goal is once I feel like I've improved my driving skills enough, to try out for them. In the process though, I'd like to have a fully class prepped car... which I'm not too far from.

You should at least try and do the Packwood NT next year, it'd be worth it just to get the experience.

Also, as my payment for letting you co-drive these last two events, I'll take a co-drive in that thing sometime next year.
UWMechEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #21
BeBop86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'02 Impreza WRX
'85 Toyota Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by girodisc View Post
The 08 WRX setup will bump him to the same class as the STi. He was telling me a guy did the swap into his 03 and then they changed the rules.
Johann @ Girodisc
Johann's on the right track: they put the 08+ WRX into BSP, and you can't jump "letter" classes, e.g. from ESP to BSP. That turbo would end up bumping me one "catagory" class higher e.g. ESP into SM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMechEngr View Post
You should at least try and do the Packwood NT next year, it'd be worth it just to get the experience.

Also, as my payment for letting you co-drive these last two events, I'll take a co-drive in that thing sometime next year.
Ok deal. Thanks again for letting me drive your car

Last edited by BeBop86; 10-15-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #22
BeBop86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'02 Impreza WRX
'85 Toyota Corolla

Sorry for the lack of updates.

I finished and started the car on 5th and have been driving it ever since.

I have to say, the stock tune 2.5L is WAY faster than my stage two 2.0L (with a leaky up-pipe). Loads more torque!

I would have been finished sooner, but I connected the fuel lines up wrong and was actually feeding fuel into my evap lines Cleaned that all out, changed the oil and spark plugs, and she fired right up!

I'll post some updated pictures.

-Nick
Old 10-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #23
25rsti
Scooby Guru

Member#: 166324
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
3 turbos &n NA
@DBlockSTi

Awesome work!
25rsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #24
BeBop86
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'02 Impreza WRX
'85 Toyota Corolla

Thank you

Another added bonus to having access to that scrap wiring harness... I found plugs that fit my SGP side markers (w00t! no more butt connector ends for me).

I'm still deciding if I should get the airbags to be fully functional, but that means buying more things... I've already installed the 2007's airbag ecu, front bumper impact sensors, side impact sensors, both front airbags, and I think my '02 seat airbags should work fine (the plugs fit), but I still would need the passenger detection bladder for the seat, both seat postion sensors, and both front seatbelts and buckles (06/07 uses different size clips than previous years).

It's getting cold out though, need to figure out that rear window defroster wiring ('02 wiring plugged straight into the window, but according to the '07 wiring diagram I need some kind of "choke coil" that goes inbetween... time to bust out the multimeter.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:28 AM   #25
Dori Ninja
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 73974
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
04 RSTi
PSM

nice write up!!! if anyone here has the knowlage...i assume the same is true in components needed for the same swap into a GC??? i am getting the complete chassis harness from the donar car, and should be able to make everything else work with splicing connectors and such too...but yeah...just want to be sure...lol

also, could you hook a brother up with a FSM for the 06/07 WRX???
Dori Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote