Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Legion303
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 209554
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
1995 Impreza L sedan
blue-ish

Default 4EAT no reverse, everything else fine

I searched, but couldn't find specific answers as to what the problem might be. I'm hoping someone with solid transmission knowledge can tell me.

This is a 95 4EAT for a FWD vehicle. Recently I had some hard 1-2 shifting. ATF was light brownish but didn't smell burned, so I planned to do a drop & replace after I solved my engine stalling issues (separate thread). Last Thursday the car took a couple of seconds longer than usual to engage in R in a parking lot, then was fine. By the time I got it home (3-5 miles), R was no longer engaging. I managed to back into my driveway after a few attempts, but it required high revs and it felt like there was barely any power

I immediately walked to the auto place and got ATF and a filter, and did the change. Owner's manual says ~3.5Q, but I had more like 5 after the pan drop in addition to whatever wound up on the ground when I pulled the long pipe out to remove the old filter...so I put a bit more than 5Q back in, but the dipstick is pretty hard to get a good reading on. Old filter was pretty clogged, but the pan magnet looked decent with just a bit of metal fuzz on it.

After the change, still no R.

All forward gears work fine, no noise, smooth shifting etc. No issues at town or highway speeds. Engine braking is applied when in D and downshifting to 1. I hear no clunks or other transmission noise, and nothing abnormal on slowing down or stopping (no downshift thud). No CEL or codes. After the car sat in the driveway all night, R engaged and had plenty of power until the ATF warmed up.

Local tranny shop is going to try to squeeze a quick diagnostic in on Monday, but I'd like to see if it's something I can fix before then, or at least get some ideas.

I've never used any transmission additive, but I don't have any idea whether or not the first owner did. As far as I know, this is the original tranny to match the 175K mileage engine.

Any help would be appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Legion303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Legion303
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 209554
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
1995 Impreza L sedan
blue-ish

Tranny shop wants $3K for a rebuild. Time to find another car.
Legion303 is offline   Reply With Quote