Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday October 31, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Konrad.Prz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 291224
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
PPB

Default Clutch Replacment

Hey,
I have a 2004 2.5rs with 87,000 miles on it. I drove down to the Bay area and i noticed at lower elevation that it seemed like my clutch was slipping in 3rd 4th and 5th. When i drive back up to Tahoe which is like 4500FT i didnt notice it anymore. Is that even possible? Anyway i believe that i need a new clutch and i wanted to do the work myself, i have never replaced a clutch before. I couldn't find any write ups on the topic and was wondering if this a bad way to go. Im not sure what clutch kit i should go with ive looked at the ACT clutch kit and just the OEM Wrx clutch (Don't think it fits but not sure). Does anyone have any experience with ACT? Should i just get the flywheel resurfaced or buy a new so that i don't have to worry about it.I would like a stiffer clutch feel but still want the car to be forgiving because my little brother will be buying the car soon.
Thanks in Advance
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Konrad.Prz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
mod maniac
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 300551
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2&4 fxt & fxt sti
Fullers Garage

Go for it! Buy a manual and follow directions. A stock clutch will be fine. If you get a performance clutch you will have a hard time driving it. First gear is way to high and you need to slip the clutch often on a subaru. A performance clutch is hard to do that with.
mod maniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
775WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 348189
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Midnight Blue

I just put a ACT streetlite in my 03 wrx. I love it. I can tell the difference in acceleration. There were a lot of threads i read before doing mine about a marble bouncing sound when decel. I have not personally had this at all. The other thing i read is it being too aggressive and such but again no issues at all and i also used a stock clutch disc pressure plate with this setup. Well over 1,000 miles into the new clutch now and i have zero complaints but love the performance.

I used a Exedy clutch kit (amazon) and a ACT flywheel (amazon). Also i live down the hill from you so if you have any questions that i could answer please feel free to PM me. I just did my clutch last month by my self. Not to hard of a job but it is time consuming so if you plan to do it make sure you dont need the car for a couple of days or so just to be safe.

P.S. Get 2 cans of PB blaster and a 1/2" drive breaker bar with deep sockets.
775WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Konrad.Prz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 291224
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
PPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 775WRX View Post
I just put a ACT streetlite in my 03 wrx. I love it. I can tell the difference in acceleration. There were a lot of threads i read before doing mine about a marble bouncing sound when decel. I have not personally had this at all. The other thing i read is it being too aggressive and such but again no issues at all and i also used a stock clutch disc pressure plate with this setup. Well over 1,000 miles into the new clutch now and i have zero complaints but love the performance.

I used a Exedy clutch kit (amazon) and a ACT flywheel (amazon). Also i live down the hill from you so if you have any questions that i could answer please feel free to PM me. I just did my clutch last month by my self. Not to hard of a job but it is time consuming so if you plan to do it make sure you dont need the car for a couple of days or so just to be safe.

P.S. Get 2 cans of PB blaster and a 1/2" drive breaker bar with deep sockets.
Thanks for the advice I will PM you soon when I will be doing it.
Konrad.Prz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Ruhh-Roh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 349889
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2007 STi

Just my .02, if I've never done something before, but I find a good write up on how to do and am confident I can do it, I will. If you're weary about it then I would just take it to a shop (taking into account my car is my DD, not much room for error if I do eff up). With that being said, there actually is a pretty decent write up on how to do it, I believe it was done on a sti but you can read through it. I'll pm it to you.
Ruhh-Roh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
Unabomber
Big Ron

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Read the sticky threads at the top of the forum BEFORE posting.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?p=9878792
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:26 AM   #7
775WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 348189
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Midnight Blue

If you got the extra cash ($1500) i would do a shop less stress on your self and a warranty. I called around for a few days for shops from gardnerville to sparks. Cheapest quote was from Mario's in Carson for 1500, then the dealer for 2100.
775WRX is offline   Reply With Quote