Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
gto65racer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 224070
Default 2004 Sti motor locked up. Help!

I have a 2004 Sti and i was driving it the other day when it died. I was going about 60 and down shiffted to pas a car. When i did i heard a pop and the motor died. I coasted off to the side of the road and tried to restart it and it started and then died. I had it towed home and found that the exhaust side wheel of the trubo broke. There was alot of oil in the intercooler and throttle body. I got a new turbo from the dealer and put it in. Then pulled the plugs and pit new ones in. I tried to start it and i jad to crank it for a while to get it to fire over. When it did fire over (for about 10 sec) it died and then i couldnt crank it any more. I tried to rotate the motor with a ratchet o. The crank bolt and it wont move. I pulled the plugs and tried to rotate it again and it is still stuck.

Any ideas what it could be?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
gto65racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
the suicidal eggroll
Scooby Guru

Member#: 51961
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Sounds like you ran out of oil.

The oil deprivation caused the turbo to seize and the exhaust wheel to snap off, and then later caused the crank to seize.

You haven't been hearing any "clunking" or "knocking" recently have you? The low oil pressure light on the dash hasn't been illuminated has it?

Either way, you're in for a new short block at the minimum, possibly a new long block, depending on if the cams have seized as well.

If you want to verify:
1) check your oil level
2) drain the oil and look for metal shavings

And by the way, buying a new turbo at the dealership is one of the biggest wastes of money imaginable. You can pick up a used vf39 for <$400 on the classifieds any day of the week...

edit: "running out of oil" makes it sounds like it's entirely your fault for not keeping up with maintenance, but the damage could also have been caused by a snapped oil pickup, which is a well known problem on all Subaru models. If this was the problem it should be very obvious if you drop the oil pan and inspect the pickup.

Last edited by the suicidal eggroll; 05-22-2013 at 10:51 PM.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
gto65racer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 224070

I had just done an oil change the week before and checked the level two days before this. The turbo still spun free when i removed it. I think the oil got pumped through the turbo into the intake system when i restarted it.
gto65racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #4
jrodm12
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 296705
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
05 STI
Black

seized motor. Did the oil light flash? Cracked pickup tube will cause oil starvation even with oil in it and is common thing to happen. Pull the pan and check the pickup tube.
jrodm12 is offline   Reply With Quote