Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
ShadowBoxer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 355583
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza Coupe
Green

Subaru Stars '98 Impreza L Coupe: Progress Report - Speaker swap + Supertones + more..!

Vehicle- 1998 Subaru Impreza L Coupe
Current system - stock front speakers, aftermarket rear speakers, no tweeters, aftermarket head unit, amplifier kit installed, no amp or sub installed at the moment
Music Choice- Hip Hop & Jazz
Music Style - Def
Installer - Just me until I hire someone with more skills than I.
Installer experience - I can install speakers with a clear line of sight... running cables into the frame of a car, not so much. I know how to solder, and I am learning to use a multimeter.
Budget - "Low budget, high quality"
Future Goals - Install the sub and the amp, custom make a sub box, add tweeters, something to keep level during sharp turns, tint, alarm, new tires, and simple performance upgrades in the engine (TBD)
Reference - I like bass notes rumbling my solar plexus. I demand more of that feeling.

Now that that is out of the way - I am going to share my latest updates with my speaker swap... its totally incomplete and always a work in progress.

I got the car with a basic aftermarket Pioneer head unit and a nice old set of stock speakers. I was surprised to see how 1998 sound systems looked.. all vintage and cheap like its from 1973. And I extracted a Dual set (pun intended) of 6.5" speakers that came with my previous car for possible use later. Down the line, my Shadowbox and I met and I was quick to slap those new speakers on her rear (deck). Crappy speakers, but when you don't pay for anything in that situation, you don't complain.

Now I have ordered a couple new things to use.
-A pair of SoundStream SF-652T
-A pair of Hella Supertones (anxiously waiting on a package to be delivered right now (COME ON USPS!))

My amplifier is in the local shop and I am anxious about that too, but I'm happy to have a LOCAL "electronic surgeon". I am not so happy to only have ONE, but if I didn't have the one, I'd probably be out of a SoundStream Rubicon 302 for a very long time.

Anywho, here are the stages of progress I photographed in the middle of my install yesterday. I realized about halfway through it all that I might want to document what I'm doing to share with folks.

If I were to pose a question, I'd ask this: What's the best way to put new holes into the rear deck for the speakers I'm installing? They have 4 holes for the installation, but the factory equipped the car with three holes. So for now, I have screwed the one screw in very tight (not at the breaking point though) and added some cheap foam for temporary(!) padding. It looks piss poor, but I'll be darned if the connections I soldered aren't clean. Hence why it's a work-in-progress at the time.
The answers that I'm toying with are to get self tapping screws, but since it's metal, I think I need a good ole power drill or something.. Drill small hole, insert screw to fill in? Advice on this, anyone?

I didn't get all the way to the front door speakers yet, but I'd like to know if I should be removing the entire plastic door panel from the metal door for this operation, or is that overkill? Perhaps a surgical method of opening the bottom flap of the door panel and finagling up in the goods of the doors would be more preferable?

Thanks in advance for browsing my post
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by ShadowBoxer; 05-13-2013 at 04:59 AM.
ShadowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
ShadowBoxer
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Impreza Coupe
Green

Photos fo' yo' eyes to look at.

Printed out fresh from the internet.

SoundStream 6.5" Tarantulas

Looking at the top of the box, they've had a little bit of unnecessary compression in there

And you can see how much compression affected that tweeter cover there... It was already off when I opened it up because of the already loose condition it was in plus the angle I was holding it in... But this is what came in the box.

No real damage to fret about..

Add some superglue on to the contact points, and I think I should be fine here.

Last edited by ShadowBoxer; 05-13-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
ShadowBoxer
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Impreza Coupe
Green

This is my temporary workstation where I will be doing other technical tinkering.

This is my empty trunk and the underside view of the rear speaker deck.
You see a soundstream sitting in its slot on the left, cables hanging down.
A soldering iron is also present, hanging down thru the hole on the right.
That happened because the iron's power cord isn't long enough to reach the trunk from where it is plugged into the wall, so I had to use a power converter which plugs into my cigarette lighter socket. Not to mention, I had to solder the power connections back together in that lil tool before I could use it in the car. So that was a brief setback for that day, only starting the exchange from my noob soldering skills for learned craftsmanship techniques.. All good though.

Look at the cig lighter and the connections all the way down for a visual of how much cable stretch was involved. No extension cords were used, because I did not have a grounded extension cord to use for the iron. I'm also thinking it might be a slightly bad idea to use a soldering iron in an extension cord. But is it a worse idea than using it in a car socket thru a power converter? I kinda doubt it altogether. Electricians or anyone with knowledge, can you relate?

Closer view of the SoundStream sitting (not screwed in) and the exposed soldered connections (I taped those up later with electrical tape.) This is not a permanent job here. But I intend for it to be as close to it as possible each time...This one was just a long shot, that's all.

And the other side with some prepped factory connections and the hanging iron

Lastly, this is what the topside view looks like.. without the cheap foam padding I put under there with the one screw... (looks hella bootleg. perhaps a theft deterrent? wait til u see it)
Old 05-15-2013, 03:12 AM   #4
ShadowBoxer
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Impreza Coupe
Green

News

Hello people. Update for you.

I am in the workshop again in the middle of the process... this time, installing the Supertones! I'm hella excited to have these things. I grabbed 14 gauge wire for the operation, I plan on using the relay and whatnot... I just had to really look through the innards of my car before I made any drastic moves. I took out the battery so I could really see what wiring was done, and there are a few wires that have been left.. just, unplugged. Like- what were you about to connect to the car that probably needed that connection??? But something nearby it and taped together in a bunch of wires completed the possible connection it went to..So it could be valid.

And I'm learning that I have an alarm system in the car, but it's not connected at all. I can unlock and lock the doors with the remote/fob but I am not able to have any type of alarm activate. But there is a box near the pedals that has something dedicated and labeled with "Subaru" and "Alarm"... so...... >.< I need that fixed now. Any tips?

But I'm here to post that I have found a decent home for the supertones in the engine bay. And the original horn that came with the car.. will stay with the *'in car. I need to express some of the negativity that has bonded that bolt holding the horn from 98 on the car from 98... fair game, 1998. I will give in to that. But thankfully there is an open space on the opposite side of the engine bay... (I hope I'm using that term correctly..) So I am going to mount one to the side of the inside and the bottom of the inside.. and instead of having a sound blast directed forward at the target, I will have more of an echoing proximity explosion of sound erupting from the hood.

I can dig it.

ALSO: I have actually seen the torn covers for something very critical on my axles (i think)... and now I really believe the mechanics recommending the operation.. I don't always trust mechanics unless I can see what they're talking about....
And... I cleaned off some of the dirty plastic connected to/around the engine. Looks better. I am excited to have this car and I look forward to making it perform better. Now about to look at the air filter.. Did not occur. Somehow seems more difficult to open and view than the one on my Corolla.. Odd. Anyway, I'm on to measuring out the wires I'm going to connect. I also may need some wire shielding after I'm done.

More later.

Last edited by ShadowBoxer; 05-15-2013 at 03:23 AM. Reason: 411
Old 05-15-2013, 04:59 AM   #5
ShadowBoxer
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Impreza Coupe
Green

Exclamation

Just hit my roadblock for the night... I'm missing the screws/bolts for the Hellas. They weren't supposed to come with the horns, I was supposed to come prepared. So I will have to take a Hella in to get fitted for bolts/screws. Also, I need to come up on a power drill, because I don't have enough torque to dismantle certain car parts.

Disgruntled now. I was really about to go in on these horns... Now I have to reconnect everything. I still haven't figured out where to secure the relay. I have some potential places, but no properly sized screws to mount it.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
ShadowBoxer
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Impreza Coupe
Green

After some dialog and research, I'm going to alter a few of my original plans.
1. The sub box will be created by a guy who seems to know the math behind making a box specific for the car its in along with the sub specs... And I do not know calculus, so I'm going to shell out $100 for a custom box for my 10" Alpine 1042. It's a good deal to me, so I'm going with that.

2. My Soundstream Rubicon 302 has reached its last leg... the one repair guy in my city is not able to fix it because he's missing a piece that has not been made in years... So if anybody has a Rubicon 302 they want to part out, I'll have to have a conversation with you.

3. I'm not going to have rear speakers. Heard enough people say that they don't really matter in the sound system if you're trying to hear the sound coming from in front of you..Plus it WILL get drowned the F out by my subwoofer once its reconnected. I will be moving the Soundstream speakers from the rear to the front.

4. I figured out how to remove the door panels! I needed a power tool for one of the screws, that was all. Gotta love complex machines.
4a. I will not be using tweeters in the system. No sense in getting them to put on the door panel when the Soundstream speakers I have are full range speakers...

5. I need to find a good monoblock/class D amplifier that is stable at 2ohms for my Alpine 1042. Any recommendations?

6. Hella Supertones have been mounted! They are going to go in the front where my extra lights could go. I have light covers that can be popped out, and there's a beautiful chamber to hold the Supertones. I went to my homeboy's car shop to use a lift on the car and got a good look under Shadowbox's engine area. I know where I'm going to run the wires. All I need to get (and I'm glad I remember this as I'm typing) is a length of wire cover to protect it from the elements. Shoot, I also need to figure out how to hook the wire I have to the battery terminal... That will come as well.
I got all the right screws for the operation, and I should have this completed by the end of the week.

7. I will be going to my local Subaru shop to have them reactivate the alarm, fix the axle boots and probably replace the axle.

PROGRESS!
(Someone else contribute already...I know you're glancing at these posts..)
Old 05-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
ShadowBoxer
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Impreza Coupe
Green

Supertones are now installed! I did it all by myself, and I am hella proud. I wired everything according to the instructions, negative ground and all. Disabled the old horn, and added wire loom tubing to every stretch of wire I hooked up except for the ground coming off of the Hellas. Everything works well, and LOUDLY at that...

Also I switched the front door speakers out for the SoundStreams... they don't sound as good as I was hoping, but they work and I installed them, so it's cool for now til I upgrade. (EDIT: I also have to let you know that I punched a hole in the left speaker while trying to drill the screws in to the cover harness... But then I used a very thin smear of Gorilla Glue. I think it's doing alright, but I know it might be broken. I haven't taken a look at it since I applied the glue because I'm not going to break down the door panel unless I have to. Keeping the Lows on -7 is great for the health of those speakers, especially since this subwoofer is about to blast all get out from my car.) That being said, I think they're fixed. But I don't know (and don't want to look yet).)

Next question is regarding which amplifier to get. EDIT: I got it solved...now getting the box built for my car and the sub. Going to be B.A..... MF

Last edited by ShadowBoxer; 05-29-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
ShadowBoxer
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Impreza Coupe
Green

Quick update and I'm out:

Sub box built, obtained, mathematically sharp for what I've got...
Amplifier obtained. (A nice old SSL f1500d )

Going to install them later today. OTW!