Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
echardcore
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 260638
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
Spark Silver Metallic

Default 2011 Clarion Base Chassis Ground Loose

I just installed the Helix PP50 to the OEM base system in my 2011 WRX. It shounds excellent BTW.

I believe the chassis ground is loose. When I hit a bump the radio goes off and wont turn on again. I removed the radio and checked each plug and this is the loose one. I can get it to work. Then if I shake it, it goes off and wont come on again until this plug is reseated.

Anyone out there know any tricks that would help maintain this connectivity? Maybe electric grease? Tin foil? I cant really get into the plug itself in order to bend any clips to tighten the connection.

Anyone experience this issue?

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
echardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
bobditts
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 392683
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2014 LS hatch
quartz blue

is the connect between the wire and the unit loose? or is it the inside of the unit has a loose connection?
bobditts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
echardcore
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
Spark Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobditts View Post
is the connect between the wire and the unit loose? or is it the inside of the unit has a loose connection?
I am fairly certain that it is simply the connection from the lug on the radio to the plug. I don't think its the little plug or the wires themselves. This is based on the fact that I am gently unplugging it and plugging it in again and not really pulling it out further like from behind the dash.

This is an odd little problem that wasn't an issue until now. This is not the first amp install either. This is the second time I had the head unit out. The first time was about a year ago. That amp was faulty so it was disconnected and I never had any issues with the radio since then and before.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
bobditts
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 LS hatch
quartz blue

well you could take some pliers and squeeze down the female connector so its a tighter fit. Or you could solder it on for a more secure, yet permanent, solution.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
echardcore
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
Spark Silver Metallic

Quote:
well you could take some pliers and squeeze down the female connector so its a tighter fit. Or you could solder it on for a more secure, yet permanent, solution.
Thanks I'll give that a shot. The female end is a plastic mini harness type connector. The insides of it seem rather tight and im not sure I can get in there. Maybe tweezers. I'm not good at soldering yet so thats out for me. I will play around more and post more about it if I find anything helpful.

I imagine that I could cut the female end off and crimp on a new connector but I'd rather not cut anything.

I wish that I could just increase the thickness of the lug sticking out of the back of the head unit so that it will stick on more firmly.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
bobditts
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 LS hatch
quartz blue

another idea would be to bend the male connector slightly so it has a very shallow V shape.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
echardcore
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
Spark Silver Metallic

Quote:
another idea would be to bend the male connector slightly so it has a very shallow V shape.
aaahhhh! Yes that seems like a good option. Thank you. WIll let you know.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
bobditts
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 LS hatch
quartz blue

highly recommend you use 2 sets of needle nose pliers. One to hold the male connector in place and the other to bend the tip up or down. This will ensure you bend it towards the middle of the male connector and not at the base where it connects to the chassis. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
echardcore
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
Spark Silver Metallic

Quote:
highly recommend you use 2 sets of needle nose pliers. One to hold the male connector in place and the other to bend the tip up or down. This will ensure you bend it towards the middle of the male connector and not at the base where it connects to the chassis. Good luck!
You. You're good.

This is exactly what I was thinking also to prevent it from breaking and to give more control. Definitely want to bend it slightly in the middle. This should work...
Old 07-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
bobditts
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 LS hatch
quartz blue

Thanks bud. I try to be an asset where I can. Hope it works out for you. If not, you may just have to cut and crimp your own connectors on. That would be the next easiest.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
echardcore
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
Spark Silver Metallic

Welp. I feel dumb.

That wire doesn't do anything! The radio works fine without it. To be helpful anyway I took pics of it to add to the Infernets.

Female plug

Male ground lug straight

Male ground lug bent, she is definitely tight now!

Everything seems to work fine with the Helix harness and Subaru adapter removed. I did notice one of the wires and contacts were pulled out of one of the many harness clips in the setup. I pushed it back in and will retest.

I know this is so elementary. Its good to document it though. I really hope I dont have to replace either of the harnesses. It is a dicontinued product...
Old 07-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #12
bobditts
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 LS hatch
quartz blue

good deal. Glad all is well!
Old 07-21-2014, 01:24 AM   #13
echardcore
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
Spark Silver Metallic

loose wire in the harness. feeling good.