Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:15 AM   #51
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 249130
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRken View Post
Dude!!!!! Absolutely loving the build! I'm planning on doing the same thing. Right now I'm living in Japan, got a 98 v5 STi when I first got here and having been playing with it ever since. I've got another 2.5 years here and then I'm heading to Florida an doing my swap over there... Can't wait see your finished build, good luck.
That's awesome bro! How's J-Pan so far? I've made it a life goal to travel out there. Idk what's stopping me besides learning some words and finding a travel buddy. You are so lucky to be able to have such a huge selection of JDM cars. Of course ID get a nice GC8, but ID also look for a fresh GT-R R32! 99' STi RA and 90' BNR32 are my all time favorite Cars, maybe a Hakosuka, but from what I've heard, they are scarce even over there.
Thanx for tuning in, and I'll try to keep u entertained.

Later,

Weldon
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
WelDun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #52
CBRken
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 343049
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza WRX STi
Steel Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelDun1 View Post

That's awesome bro! How's J-Pan so far? I've made it a life goal to travel out there. Idk what's stopping me besides learning some words and finding a travel buddy. You are so lucky to be able to have such a huge selection of JDM cars. Of course ID get a nice GC8, but ID also look for a fresh GT-R R32! 99' STi RA and 90' BNR32 are my all time favorite Cars, maybe a Hakosuka, but from what I've heard, they are scarce even over there.
Thanx for tuning in, and I'll try to keep u entertained.

Later,

Weldon
A bunch of guys I drive with have GTR's... I didn't really get sucked into that fanboy seen. They're great cars an all, but for the amount of money you have to pay for them and mod and fix... Just not worth it, especially since I can pull on most on them up to 180 kph, and on the touge we are neck and neck.
CBRken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #53
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

Quote:

A bunch of guys I drive with have GTR's... I didn't really get sucked into that fanboy seen. They're great cars an all, but for the amount of money you have to pay for them and mod and fix... Just not worth it, especially since I can pull on most on them up to 180 kph, and on the touge we are neck and neck.
That's what's up! Yeah, my favorite all time car is basically what I'm building, Ver5 STi RA. I'm trying my hardest to make it as authentic as I can. I guess you cane be the judge of that once I get it up to par. The only thing that won't be authentic will be the chassis itself. Everything else is getting swapped out for its JDM counterpart.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #54
CBRken
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 343049
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza WRX STi
Steel Blue

How's the RHD conversion going?
CBRken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:43 AM   #55
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

Quote:
How's the RHD conversion going?
Its almost done. I'm welding all the holes up Tmrw, and then welding the RHD sub-panel on, then re drill out the holes needed. Brake booster, Clutch MC hole, and after those 2 are done, the job basically is too. The other holes are all for harnesses. The only obstacle in my way is the welding part. I just bought a Lincoln Weld Pak HD, but the problem is that I don't know how to weld. Lol.. Ima teach myself real quick. My buddy can weld pretty good, I would try, but sheet metal is easy to burn through, and I can't afford to Fu*cK up. But... It should be done in a day or 2.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #56
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

I'm looking for this metal piece that is needed for a roof vent installation. Its located under the headliner right where the roof vent would be.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #57
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

Just picked up the last few things to complete my Exterior, as well as my interior.

JDM RA Tails

Smooth Rear Bumper

RA Sun Visors & Rear View Mirror

GC8 Roof Vent Assembly

And guess what? To my surprise, Joe over @JDM Advance Motor Imports came through AGAIN, and surprised me with this...

I gotta say, I've dealt with A Lot of these Vendors, and the BEST by Far is JOE over @ JDM Advance Motor Imports! He is always on top of finding the parts you need, and they are ALWAYS in Excellent condition.(Excluding this Bracket^^^^that had to be drilled out and removed from the body of another car) I Highly recommend going through Joe.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited by WelDun1; 09-30-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:38 AM   #58
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

Got the rear bumper today.. It was wrapped in a sheet..Lol i'd expect that from a private seller, but not an actual shop. JDM Place BTW is where the bumper came from.. All the other parts(The EXCELLENT condition parts) I get are from JDM Advance Motors..

This is what it looks like after a good wash.

I guess this will have to get buffed out.

And the left side front clip thing is broken. Should be fine, but the fact that they didn't tell me about it is Shady.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Peep The RA Build RS25 Journal or Type-RA Journal

Last edited by WelDun1; 09-30-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:41 AM   #59
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

Couple Parts came in today! Let's see what's in the boxes...
Fu*cK Xmas, this is What every Subie Lover wants to wake up to

I put the Bumper on that I got yesterday..

How you may ask....

Holy Sh*iT is this thing lighter than the stock beam!!! like 35lbs lighter!

Also in the Subaru box was this bad boy! Can't be an authentic RA w/o deleting the AC!

And replacing the AC is......

As you can see, I didn't waste any time starting the install process!

Another Freebie from my buddy Joe! Thanx pal..

I was stoked to get these!

You know I had to see what they looked like!

Sent From My Nexus 7
Old 09-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #60
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

So apparently this is what I have on my plate, after Paint, and before it goes to Track Forged for the engine swap:

First of all, I'm going to Harbor Freight & picking up the Mig 170 they have on sale for $160 so that I can do the following....

Weld up the following on the firewall:
  • - RH side A/C hole
    - RH side harness hole
    - LH Brake booster hole
    - LH throttle cable hole
    - LH clutch master hole
    - Both RHD sub-panels spot welded to the firewall
    - Pedal box bracket welded to RH side
    - Throttle pedal bracket welded to RH side wheel well
  • 2 1/2" hole saw and drill hole for steering column
  • 2 1/2" hole saw for brake booster, drill mounting holes
  • 1 1/2" hole saw for clutch master cylinder, drill mounting holes

Measure everything out very carefully before welding and drilling anything. Use my old clip as a measuring guide.

Test fit:
- Pedals
- Clutch master cylinder
- Brake booster/MC
- Crash beam
- Steering column

Things to Drill & Cut back Out:
  • - Drill out the spots and weld the RHD windshield wiper linkage bracket inside the cowl. (Not looking forward to this. I know I asked Backslider to help me, but there's only so much someone can help another with over the phone & Internet.)
    - Spot weld a metal plate under the cowl where the LHD blower motor used to pull air from. Make an opening on the opposite side for the RHD blower motor. Seal.
    - Drill a hole for the throttle cable. This is just a 3/4" hole with 2 notches adjacent from each other.
    - AC will be deleted, but do I re-drill the hole out on the left side for future use?
    - Drill 2 holes about a 1/2" diameter & plug with gromett for Random Wires in future
    - Drill hole out for Harness. There are 2 harness holes. One is a 2" hole stretched out long, but for the other I will probably use a 2" hole saw and 1" hole saw, and drill the 2 holes about 2" apart, & then use a dremel and cut lines to connect them to make that oblong shape that the harness requires. Or I can just cut that rubber grommet off of the harness and make it round?

Got a lot on my plate for the next week and a half, wouldn't ya say!?!

Thank you RYAN23 For all the help

Sent From My Nexus 7

Last edited by WelDun1; 10-06-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #61
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

Went and got a new toy...

Its not a Lincoln, but it will Definitely do the job. I still need to get a Regulator, a Bottle, get it filled, and then I have to figure out how I'm going to power it. My generator has 110/240 outlets, but the MIg Welder has the 3 prong cord, and my Generator has the 4 prong twist lock receptacle, so I think all I have to do is either go buy a pre made Pigtail extention cord, or make my own and convert the Welder cord to a 4 prong and Víolá... Firewall Welding time! All i know is that I need to do it quick so I can get started on this Firewall.

Sent From My Nexus 7

Last edited by WelDun1; 09-30-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #62
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

***By NO means is this a "How To", its more like a "How I did it" Post. The only thing that makes this post more authentic, is that I messed up a few times and had to fix it.***

So I started to install my Roof Vent this evening after work, but unfortunately it started to get a little too dark to finish, but this is what I accomplished....
I mounted the Front Roof Vent Bracket to the Map Bracket and positioned it where it looked even and also lined up with the rear bracket & Trim.

After that, I connected the trim to the Rear Bracket and marked where the four mounting holes would go, and also traced out where the Vent hole would go. This can be a little bit tricky, Atleast it was for me.. Then after I had the outline marked on the interior side of the roof, I drilled out the mount holes, and then drilled a bunch of pilot holes around the Vent hole line...

Make sure the trim is lined up with the front mounting bracket holes.

I didn't drill these holes with the trim up like this, I forgot to take a pic of just the lines that I traced, but this is how i had to hold it to trace the line for the Vent hole. This was just the next best pic that I had.
So then I was left with this...

You wanna make sure you stay in the lines and not let the drill hole go outside. Its not the end of the world if it does,especially with small drill holes, but to make sure the template lines you make on the exterior are straight, ur Guna want to get them as even as possible.

The mounting holes I made had to be filed bigger on one side because even tho they wer straight on the inside, when I mounted the Vent lid it looked crooked, so I just filed the one side a bit bigger until it lined up straight.. As you can see here, the holes are bigger in the pic above compared to below

Another look at the entire set of pilot holes, notice how I had to file the mounting holes to be bigger on the bottom.

So with the same template i made with the rear bracket and trim attached for the interior, I used for the exterior. Just lined up to the mounting holes, and the pilot holes we're somewhat inline as well, and I traced the lines for the vent which "SHOULD" match up with the interior line I traced..

And since my So Called "Friend" took his Dremel back after letting me borrow it for this VERY reason, I had to use some cut off disc's and be VERY VERY careful. But i went to work and cut away..As you can see in the top right corner of the hole, its not evenly lined up, so I put the bracket & trim etc. all back together inside and saw that it was about a 1/4-1/2" off so I retraced and started grinding. Even after grinding it down, the hole wasn't big enough to fit the seal, so I still have to take more off, mm at a time just so I don't get it too big and the seal doesn't fit at all. When it comes to the hole, BETTER TOO SMALL THAN TOO BIG!

But then it started getting dark and that's where I left off. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. It may have been if I had that damn Dremel, but I've always made due with what I had, and I always seem to get the job done.

Stay tuned for ROUND 2 Tmrw.....

Sent From My Nexus 7
Old 09-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #63
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

Okay, so I Royally eFF'd up today. I got the hole for my Roof Vent Completely to spec, and when it came time to install the weather stripping seal, it just WOULD NOT fit. I kept grinding the hole back a tiny bit at a time, and the stripping was too big. So I didn't want to keep making the hole bigger because I knew I was to spec, so I decided to cut the stripping. I saw someone else do it on their DIY, so I did it too. Word of advice to whoever is doing this install...

Whatever you do, DO NOT CUT THE WEATHER STRIPPING SEAL!!!! Even if the seal appears too big, just keep working it on there, and I guarantee you that it will eventually sit perfect.

Cutting it was a bad idea. First of all. I must have tried to get that damn thing on there Atleast 10-15 times with the same outcome, the seal seemed to be too big. So then I cut it, and I put it on to see how much needed to be cut off. When I put it on, it was about a half inch too big, so I took it off and cut just about a half inch off. Well... When I put it back on this time, it magically shrunk, and it was now a half inch too small!!! WTF right!?! I even have 2 witnesses to this whole thing. So the piece that I cut off, was now how much it was short. What happened was that It wasn't sitting right those first initial times because of the "sealant" type glue that's inside of it, and it had the seal pinched shut and was only allowing it to sit half way back giving it the illusion of being too big. So now I have it all installed, the seal is cut, but seems to be doing the job. I just ordered another one, and it should be here in about 5 days.

Also, to the guy who made the DIY thread and cut his seal, I bet you anything that when he cut it, he had the same outcome. Thers no way that he could of had the hole to spec and needed to cut the seal. He prolly just wasn't man enough to admit his mistakes, and now others will make the same mistake if they go off of his thread, and this happens to them.

It still turned out great, just another learning experience (that's costing me $60)...its all installed, looks good to me, i think its straight for the most part...Idk... Tell me what you think. Looks okay..right?

Sent From My Nexus 7
Old 09-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #64
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

So my car goes in for Paint Tmrw! My buddy Jeremy owns a Race Trailer that he uses to haul his Taxi Cab Volvo Rally car to events, so hopefully he can help me take it to the shop, which just so happens to be pretty close to me. If Jeremy can't help me, then ima have to call a tow truck or something. I don't even care at this point. I just want it Painted so that I can finish the interior, and as soon as I do that it goes to Track Forged for the final process! As always Thers something preventing me from getting everything done that I need done, and this time its Mother Nature Again! It rained 3"- 4" Saturday, and that was just the First storm. Apparently there are 3 headed our way. Oh how I wish I had a Garage. I'd prolly be done by now.

Sent From My Nexus 7
Old 09-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #65
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

I started to cover my Pillars in the Alcantara that I bought from JPM Coachworks. After cutting out the Material needed for the Headliner and Rear Speaker shelf, I only had enough Black Alcantara left to do the Rear C Pillars, so looks like I have to order 2 more yards. This sh*it isn't cheap either. $105 per Running yard! They don't make White Alcantara, so I went to Fabric Depot to buy some White Ultrasuede, which was only a measly $25/yrd, and its actually pretty close in Feel and appearance. So I bought a yrd of White, and a yrd of Charcoal and another 1 1/2 of Black to finish the A&B pillars as well as the center console.
At some point in the future I will send my dash to JPM to have it covered only like they can do. They wanted $125 just to do the Roof Vent trim! I'm still thinking about that one. My budget is a few Grand over my initial initial set limit, so I have to watch myself. Spending money on my cars has always been the easiest thing to do for me. Lol
Here a couple pics of what the C Pillars look like....

I tried to plug the hole where the seatbelt went through the C pillar, but it still shows. I think if I wouldn't have sprayed the adhesive to the piece of plastic I covered it with, it wouldn't of showed as much, but Whadaya guna do!?! They still turned out pretty good. Wait until u see the headliner and rear speaker deck! All i can say is....Diamond tucked pleats!

I should prolly get a better camera! My EX took the Cannon that I bought last year. BITCH!

This is the adhesive that I used. Its 3M Super 77. Its the only 3M adhesive that I could find that specifically said that it worked on Plastic, as well as everything else that the other ones work on.

As you can see with this last one, It turned out descent in the tight spots. Definitely more to come tho, just for the fact that it is raining so damn hard here in the NorthWest , we are expected to get hit with 7-10mm of rain over night tonight, and another 5mm on Sunday. A total of 3 different tropical storms lasting till Thursday or Friday! So i have nothing better to do....Oh Joy!

Sent From My Nexus 7

Last edited by WelDun1; 09-30-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #66
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

The RA went in for Paint on Tuesday! I put the Hood and Trunk on for the first time the night before. I'll be honest, it got me a little excited seeing that Wing on there! :drool

Before it left my house...

At the shop. Last time ill see it before it looks like a True Ver5 STi RA!

When I get it back I have to do the Firewall, and install the Dash/Interior Harness. Then its off to Track Forged for the final install. The Engine gets dropped off in a couple days for them to start the build process so by the time I get it back from paint and install the interior etc... It will be ready to drop in. Every time I watch a video of an STi now, I get pissed and turn it off because I'm so damn anxious to get mine on the road.

Stay Tuned.....

Sent From My Nexus 7

Last edited by WelDun1; 10-06-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #67
Devilteg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 127545
Vehicle:
2013 XV
Dark Gray Metallic

Dude great work man!!! your doing awesome
Devilteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #68
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilteg View Post
Dude great work man!!! your doing awesome
Thanx Aaron. I'm seriously just ready to drive it. I've been w/o a car for TOO LONG now. I'm ready for DCCD and a gtx30r puttin' out 20psi with the sounds of the BOV & Dump Tube screamin' up the block!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #69
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

Some updated pics of the "Pre Paint" Prep stage

Dents Be GONE!

Had some holes "Soldadura" (Translation =Welded)^^^vvv

Sent From My Nexus 7
Old 10-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #70
IA Performance
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 25194
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2008 Forester XT 5mt
Dark Gray

getting closer every day. I look forward to the updates and eagerly await to see this build on the road!

Stephen
www.facebook.com/iaperformance
IA Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #71
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

So after I went and checked out the RA, I went to pick out the paint as well. I knew that Subaru had "Pure White"(51E) and "Arctic White"(51E) and "Aspen White" 51E, & then Thers the White that has the 230 paint code. What I didn't know is that there is about 15 variation's of 51E that have like 10 different colors mixed into them. The White that I picked out was a variation of Aspen White. It had the least amount of other colors in it. Some of the other 51E variations had Blue, Canary Yellow, Black, Green and a few others that I can't remember, but the Aspen White that I picked out was 96.3% White & 3.7% black I think. It was the brightest White out of the 51E variation's.

One thing that was cool is that I got an aerosol can filled with the paint so that I could use it for scratches or aftermarket parts to match the car. They charged me $25 for an 11oz can.

Sent From My Nexus 7
Old 10-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #72
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA Performance View Post
getting closer every day. I look forward to the updates and eagerly await to see this build on the road!

Stephen
www.facebook.com/iaperformance
Thank you. Just imagine how eager I am! Haha
I haven't had a vehicle in about 5-6 months now, and haven't driven a Boosted car in over 3 years! Let alone a boosted car with a rotated gtx3071r.. Lol
It can't happen fast enough. I still have to do the firewall before the engine gets swapped...... Ughh
Old 10-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #73
Devilteg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 127545
Vehicle:
2013 XV
Dark Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelDun1 View Post
Thanx Aaron. I'm seriously just ready to drive it. I've been w/o a car for TOO LONG now. I'm ready for DCCD and a gtx30r puttin' out 20psi with the sounds of the BOV & Dump Tube screamin' up the block!
Its going to be a Monster !! Keep Banging away!!
Devilteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #74
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

So I went to the shop to put in some work on the RA. Its Painted, Clear Coat Is on, Now all that is left is to Cut & Buff, then its done! Here's a couple pics to hold you over till its finished.

Some dumb ass went in there and changed their tranny oil while my Door was drying in the paint room and I swear that the fans sucked in some of the tranny fluid bcuz the door has oily spots on it. If it doesn't come out with the Cut & Buff, then its gunna have to be repainted.

Sent From My Nexus 7
Old 10-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #75
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Ver5 STi RA
Aspen White

Here we go..RA is Done in the Paint Department! I definitely need a new Camera, crappy pics, but nonetheless, Enjoy

Its Guna look pretty decent once its dropped a few inches and these Goldies are on.

I think it turned out Super Clean. First thing I did was go buy a Car Cover!