Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
B16ars
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 328655
Default WRX to STi swap idea

I have a 05 WRX and am getting all of this stuff out of an 05 STi. I am buying an STi long block that also comes with a ton of extra things. Ill have the ECU, engine harness, cluster, turbo, intercooler,drive by wire pedal, etc
I have read and rear and read. Seems like there is only 2 choices everyone talks about. Either swapping the whole cars harness or swapping my intake manifold, cam gears, throttle body, and losing the ACV.

Here is what i want to do and i cant figure out why no one else has tried this or suggested it. By doing an STI swap i want EVERYTHING!!!! I am stingy like that and when i put my mind to something thats what i want.

So what if i buy the STI 32 bit ECU plugs and depin my 16 bit ECU plugs. I could repin everything to work into the STI ECU and just run the additional wires that i do not have. Everyone already says that the harnesses are pretty much the same minus little things.

For the drive by wire there is 8 wires. 2 that go to the ECU, 2 that go to the throttle body, and then a power and ground.
After i get all that wired up all i would have to wire up is the ACVs. I really doubt that could be that hard.

Now for my question. Why hasnt anyone else tried to do it this way? IS there something that i am missing or a good reason why this wouldnt work?

Thanks Tim
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
B16ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
rustyg23
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 277681
Vehicle:
05 sti
graphite metallic black

I have done this changing out the wiring harness isn't that bad if u can get one or already have it . 04 is best but I done the 05 with the chipped key and all that wasn't that bad can do it in two days pretty easy I have never done anything like that ethier first time pulling dash I done it out side in about four hours had most everything out .. u can pm if u have any questions good luck
rustyg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
B16ars
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the insight. I actually finished the swap already and everything went pretty smooth.
I used an 05 harness, immobilizer, key, ignition, and engine. Buying a harness and swapping that in was way easier than trying to merge things.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
rustyg23
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
05 sti
graphite metallic black

Yea its not that bad lol just seems like it would be
Old 07-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Vlad
Scooby Guru

Member#: 46135
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
Sti V9 Spec C

Quote:
Originally Posted by B16ars View Post
Thanks for the insight. I actually finished the swap already and everything went pretty smooth.
I used an 05 harness, immobilizer, key, ignition, and engine. Buying a harness and swapping that in was way easier than trying to merge things.
How about the immobilizer antenna in the illuminated key ring, did you have to swap that in as well, or no? And you had the matching ECU, keys and immobilizer, right?
How about the Sti cluster, I thought that there is an immobilizer pass-through and if you don't have the cluster, you have to connect something directly?
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
B16ars
Scooby Newbie

I had the key, ignition, immobilizer brain, ignition ring, ECU, and the cluster. Sorry, I forgot that all of that stuff was relevant. My buddy bought a wrecked STi so I got a good pick of all these parts. Everything besides for my body harness came out of the same 05 STi
Old 07-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Vlad
Scooby Guru

Member#: 46135
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
Sti V9 Spec C

great, thanks.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
rustyg23
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
05 sti
graphite metallic black

I havnt put a cluster in mine and I didn't bypass anything works fine
Old 12-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
misfitsfreak81
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 346751

B16ars, so you have fully functioning avcs and everything else in the car? any weird issues? im planning to do a similar swap soon. did you do the 6sp swap too? if so, did you keep the dccd?

Mike
misfitsfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
B16ars
Scooby Newbie

Everything is fully functioning from the AVCs to the outside temperature gauge on the cluster. I did the full body harness swap out of an 05 sti and that is by far the easiest way to do it.
As of right now I just have the 5 speed but will be upgrading soon to the 6 speed. I have all my DCCD stuff hooked up and readily waiting for the 6 speed.
If you have any other questions let me know. I know the swap like the back of my hand.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
Itsawagon37
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 303384
Vehicle:
04 Impreza WRX
Silver

I am in my planning stages of a sti swap for my 04. Ive been reading and reading but I dont seem to have the luck you did. Where did your friend find a wrecked sti to part rob? I feel this is my best course of action also. I want it to go smoothly too, so not needing to muck about with soldering or things like that I would likely swap harnesses as well.
Itsawagon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
B16ars
Scooby Newbie

Him and a buddy buy them off a crashed car auction site and part them out.
What year is your car? With some info I can tell you everything you are going to need.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
Itsawagon37
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 Impreza WRX
Silver

i have an 04 wagon
Old 12-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
B16ars
Scooby Newbie

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271294602928?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true
You'll need that. All of that!!!
A walbro 255 fuel pump
A gang of tools
The motor with engine harness. Preferably an 05

You'll also need a body harness. That's really the biggest part you will have to figure out. Idk which body harness you'll want to use.
You have to switch body harnesses cause the sti uses a 32 bit ecu when the wrx uses a 16 bit ecu. The plugs are entirely different.
If you have any more questions or anything let me know.
Tim
Old 12-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #15
Itsawagon37
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 Impreza WRX
Silver

sounds good. Ill check it out. Im trying to locate a front clip via body shop that a friend works for. so I will likely go 05.