Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday April 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Alaskan Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Alaskan Impreza Club Forum -- AKIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
SchmittyUSAF
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 354831
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anchorage
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Blue

Default Any AF sf or Army mp?

Just trying to figure out if there's any difference between local exhaust modification laws and jber laws. And if I would get messed with for a louder exhaust with or without a cat. I can already see the staring eyes when I drive past some of the guys driving around on patrols, not trying to get pulled over every twenty feet for cat or Db checks. Thanks in advance.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SchmittyUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
cosseywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276443
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Abilene, TX
Vehicle:
2005 2.1 stroker WRX
OBP

Default

Im stationed at eielson. Tbe. No cats. One rez and my muff can. Mine is pretty loud and no one has said a thing in 4yrs.

Idk if that helps. Ive driven mine on jber a few times and nothing was said.
cosseywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
Luc r
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 332784
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
06 wrx, fp green
sgm

Default

those are the most bored human beings in the world when stateside. if their bored, theyll light you up for anything
Luc r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
jerseyjessi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267224
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Vehicle:
2012 Lexus CT200H

Default

Even if they did hassle you if its not in the AFI there isn't much they can do. AKREXAk is AF Security forces he might be able to help you further.

Edit: i've never had them say anything to me (cobb catback)

Last edited by jerseyjessi; 04-28-2013 at 04:54 PM.
jerseyjessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Luc r
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 332784
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
06 wrx, fp green
sgm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjessi View Post
Even if they did hassle you if its not in the AFI there isn't much they can do. AKREXAk is AF Security forces he might be able to help you further.
wrong. they go based off of state law for that stuff. just like registrations and inspections here in texas. most of those cops anyways have either chargers or cameros with exhausts etc and really dont care
Luc r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
jerseyjessi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267224
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Vehicle:
2012 Lexus CT200H

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc r View Post
wrong. they go based off of state law for that stuff. just like registrations and inspections here in texas. most of those cops anyways have either chargers or cameros with exhausts etc and really dont care
I'm guessing you've never read an AFI

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/pr...3wgi31-204.pdf
jerseyjessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
Luc r
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 332784
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
06 wrx, fp green
sgm

Default

4 years in, i beg to differ. all those afi "laws" are state laws. if your exhaust is too loud according to alaska state law, then yes, you will be pulled over and cited.
example: radar detectors are illegal here in the state of texas, which is why i got a ticket for it on base. when i was in california at travis, i was allowed to have it on base due to CA state law.
youll get it young buck
Luc r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
JCharron2005
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 180365
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Vehicle:
2011 Lexus IS250
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjessi View Post

I'm guessing you've never read an AFI

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/pr...3wgi31-204.pdf
It's understandable that you think only the AFI applies because it's a military installation. However, JBER has concurrent jurisdiction with the state of alaska (because we technically lease the land from the state), therefore both the AFI and state laws apply. They recently started a program that is supposed to change the writing of all armed forces tickets to the writing of 1805s to all personell on base (mil and civ).
JCharron2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
jerseyjessi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267224
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Vehicle:
2012 Lexus CT200H

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc r View Post
4 years in, i beg to differ. all those afi "laws" are state laws. if your exhaust is too loud according to alaska state law, then yes, you will be pulled over and cited.
example: radar detectors are illegal here in the state of texas, which is why i got a ticket for it on base. when i was in california at travis, i was allowed to have it on base due to CA state law.
youll get it young buck
I joined the air force when you were in middle school. If actually read, 1.1. Program Management. To provide the safe and efficient movement of traffic, and use of vehicle parking spaces on Elmendorf AFB. Only situations and rules unique to Elmendorf AFB are explained below. All statutes under Title 13, Public Safety, Alaska Administrative Code Title 28, Motor Vehicle Laws of Alaska, and Municipality of Anchorage Traffic Code are applicable to traffic on Elmendorf AFB, except as noted in this instruction.
jerseyjessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
ChesterWRX
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 328794
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: N. Shore, MA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Premium
Ice Silver Metal

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc r View Post
4 years in, i beg to differ. all those afi "laws" are state laws. if your exhaust is too loud according to alaska state law, then yes, you will be pulled over and cited.
example: radar detectors are illegal here in the state of texas, which is why i got a ticket for it on base. when i was in california at travis, i was allowed to have it on base due to CA state law.
youll get it young buck
yes.

however, the instillation commander CAN impose regulations.

for example: if your state does NOT have a mandatory seat-belt law, you still have to wear it on base.

helmet laws? reflective vests ect.



as for the exhaust, in 17 years, i've never seen an MP/SP or PMO... "DoD police" , rent-a-cops bust balls over it so long as the car was registered and insured appropriately.
ChesterWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
jerseyjessi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267224
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Vehicle:
2012 Lexus CT200H

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCharron2005 View Post

It's understandable that you think only the AFI applies because it's a military installation. However, JBER has concurrent jurisdiction with the state of alaska (because we technically lease the land from the state), therefore both the AFI and state laws apply. They recently started a program that is supposed to change the writing of all armed forces tickets to the writing of 1805s to all personell on base (mil and civ).
I was implying the afi encompassed state law
jerseyjessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
Luc r
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 332784
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
06 wrx, fp green
sgm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterWRX View Post

yes.

however, the instillation commander CAN impose regulations.

for example: if your state does NOT have a mandatory seat-belt law, you still have to wear it on base.

helmet laws? reflective vests ect.



as for the exhaust, in 17 years, i've never seen an MP/SP or PMO... "DoD police" , rent-a-cops bust balls over it so long as the car was registered and insured appropriately.
Right, thats basically what I was saying. It's just the opposite with mandated laws. Base will uphold them, not get rid of them or go against them. The commander can impose regulations, but they will abide by state law. So if theres a state law with an exhaust being to loud, then it's mandated to be cited on base
I appreciate your service and time btw
Luc r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
Luc r
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 332784
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
06 wrx, fp green
sgm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjessi View Post

I joined the air force when you were in middle school. If actually read, 1.1. Program Management. To provide the safe and efficient movement of traffic, and use of vehicle parking spaces on Elmendorf AFB. Only situations and rules unique to Elmendorf AFB are explained below. All statutes under Title 13, Public Safety, Alaska Administrative Code Title 28, Motor Vehicle Laws of Alaska, and Municipality of Anchorage Traffic Code are applicable to traffic on Elmendorf AFB, except as noted in this instruction.
Theres nothing noted about exhaust regulations, therefore it's upheld based on state law
I appreciate your service and time as well
Luc r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #14
ChesterWRX
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 328794
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: N. Shore, MA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Premium
Ice Silver Metal

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc r View Post
Right, thats basically what I was saying. It's just the opposite with mandated laws. Base will uphold them, not get rid of them or go against them. The commander can impose regulations, but they will abide by state law. So if theres a state law with an exhaust being to loud, then it's mandated to be cited on base
I appreciate your service and time btw
i'm trackin' as we army guys say.

ETA: thanks..
ChesterWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
jerseyjessi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267224
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Vehicle:
2012 Lexus CT200H

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterWRX View Post



as for the exhaust, in 17 years, i've never seen an MP/SP or PMO... "DoD police" , rent-a-cops bust balls over it so long as the car was registered and insured appropriately.
Truth! Plus there are way more loud ass bro trucks and dependopatmuses calling cops on each other to be worried about your exhaust lol
jerseyjessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #16
JCharron2005
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 180365
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Vehicle:
2011 Lexus IS250
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjessi View Post
Truth! Plus there are way more loud ass bro trucks and dependopatmuses calling cops on each other to be worried about your exhaust lol
That's a fact! Lol
JCharron2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #17
Frmrbob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 290921
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Eagle River, AK
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza WRX prm
WR Blue

Default

I'd say if your just driving around on base revin your engine for no reason I'm sure they would say something about it. I've been in 7 years haven't heard anyone getting cited for a loud exhaust, i think you should be fine. I'm getting ready to throw on the Tomei equal length header and switch out my Cobb Dp with the Invidia Catless DP. I'm sporting the Q300 on my 2010 wrx I'm sure it will be pretty loud. :-p
Frmrbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #18
ChesterWRX
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 328794
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: N. Shore, MA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Premium
Ice Silver Metal

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frmrbob View Post
I'd say if your just driving around on base revin your engine for no reason I'm sure they would say something about it. I've been in 7 years haven't heard anyone getting cited for a loud exhaust, i think you should be fine. I'm getting ready to throw on the Tomei equal length header and switch out my Cobb Dp with the Invidia Catless DP. I'm sporting the Q300 on my 2010 wrx I'm sure it will be pretty loud. :-p
HOLY CRAP.
ChesterWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #19
USAF Harris
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 285953
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: JBER, AK
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Is nobody else hung up on a guy with 4 years in speaking from the cuff and finishing with "You'll get it young buck"? People making E-9 at 5 years now? Please, never make rank.

My buddy whose a separated marine got hassled by an MP for his exhaust. He was driving a white hawkeye I believe. Stationed somewhere near socal.

More locally, I'm rolling stock with muffler delete. The only time mine sounds loud is if I'm doing 40 in second or when I pass the guard shack after showing my ID. I'm way more concerned about my tints then exhaust. I got pulled over on base to take off my liscence plate smoked covers. I also recieced my second warning about my tints from APD. Wierd APD is on base now.
USAF Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #20
LiLpNoY
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 94836
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage
Vehicle:
2oo5 STi Aspen
2o12 PiLoT CherrY

Default

Lol about the "young buck" comment. 12 years in and never got hassled with the exhaust on Jber. However, studs off by May 1st or you will get a warning/ticket. (I think this year jber is giving everyone a 1 week grace period.)
LiLpNoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #21
Ethan_Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 264930
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Elmendorf AFB, AK
Vehicle:
2013 F-150 SCREW
White

Default

I had an 04 WRX with 3" TBE straight pipe. No muffler, resonator, or cat and never got hassled.
Ethan_Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #22
Nomadgene
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22923
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: International
Location: above 8000 rpm!
Vehicle:
2002 EJ207 V8 1.5xtr
TWIN-SCROLL Black Bugeye

Default

Never had a single issue on base in over 5 months of coming and going at all hours, at either the boniface or the muldoon gate.
Nomadgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #23
Akrexak
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 100607
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage, AK
Vehicle:
2007 Black swirl STi
'14 FXT Touring-Hers

Default

I've never heard of anyone coming into CA saying they pulled someone over for exhaust. I don't think half of them even know theres laws about exhausts. If I worked flight I know I wouldn't, would be pulling tons and tons of cars/trucks/SUV's over for exhaust.
Akrexak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #24
SchmittyUSAF
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 354831
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anchorage
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Blue

Default

Forgot to check on this thread..You guys sound like your going to rip each other's throats out lol.

But thanks for the info, I ended up chancing it with the invidia catted dp and a invidia race catback with no probs. Fits good, sounds amazing, and no problems getting on our driving around base..couldn't ask for anything else.
SchmittyUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.