Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #26
Len
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 39937
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2011 328i 6MT
LMB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
I just do not get the fascination.
I guess if you drive a lot then I can see it, but I get 20 mpg in pure city light to light driving in my R. A plain GTI would best that. Not sure how much I would be willing to give that wonderful 2.0 for a oil burner.

Somebody give me an example of the diesel's awesomeness so I can understand your point of view.
I think this diesel fascination among enthusiasts is sort of misplaced. Diesels are generally heavier and low revving, and sound worse. As an alternative to a hybrid, it may be a decent choice, but as an alternative to a gas engine in a performance/fun oriented vehicle, especially with the diesel price in the US, I just don't see it.

The only reason that diesel fun cars exist in the first place is because of the peculiar fuel tax structure in Europe, which does not apply to the US. But the US enthusiast community generally has a romantic idea about performance cars that are available in Europe but not in the US, and that cool factor of the forbidden fruit is I think what makes the idea of oil burning performance cars so attractive. But really, the GTI already gets a decent gas mileage. With the diesel price being what it is, you'll have to drive A LOT to recover the difference in purchase price. And for that, you get a nose heavier car with less power and an impressive torque number that hides the fact that the torque curve falls like a rock.

I would happily own a diesel family howler, especially if it's a big SUV where the MPG for the gas version is just too abysmal. But for a hot hatch that already gets well above 30MPG with a gas engine, in a country where the diesel costs as much or more than premium, not really.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #27
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

I can see it I guess, but as mentioned, the TFSI is already so darned good to me I do not see myself ever converting...I like to see the tach swing north of 6500 rpm every now and then. It sounds awesome as well.

I hope they do bring it. It would be interesting at the very least.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #28
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: utah
Vehicle:
.... OT Supplement
Testing Division.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
I just do not get the fascination.
I guess if you drive a lot then I can see it, but I get 20 mpg in pure city light to light driving in my R. A plain GTI would best that. Not sure how much I would be willing to give that wonderful 2.0 for a oil burner.

Somebody give me an example of the diesel's awesomeness so I can understand your point of view.

Yep, I tend to get mid to high 20's city driving (not driving like an ass), and around 35 on the highway. I once averaged 39mpg on my drive to the airport mid March.
godfather2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #29
neg_matnik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132389
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon SGM
2003 SV1000S, 2014 DL650

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
Sounds fun!

Since I have a Golf TDI, the chip or APR (whomever makes it) flash makes more sense. But having the DSG, that needs reprogrammed for a different shift pattern, this option is roughly $1,000. And then, it will still handle like a GOLF, not a GTD.
Or you can spend some more money on suspension bits to get closer to GTI handling.
I imagine there must be quite a few spring/strut/coilover solutions out there for the gasoline-powered Golf that will fit the Golf TDI as well. Maybe GTI parts bolt up as well.
neg_matnik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #30
neg_matnik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132389
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon SGM
2003 SV1000S, 2014 DL650

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len View Post
I think this diesel fascination among enthusiasts is sort of misplaced. Diesels are generally heavier and low revving, and sound worse. As an alternative to a hybrid, it may be a decent choice, but as an alternative to a gas engine in a performance/fun oriented vehicle, especially with the diesel price in the US, I just don't see it.

The only reason that diesel fun cars exist in the first place is because of the peculiar fuel tax structure in Europe, which does not apply to the US. But the US enthusiast community generally has a romantic idea about performance cars that are available in Europe but not in the US, and that cool factor of the forbidden fruit is I think what makes the idea of oil burning performance cars so attractive. But really, the GTI already gets a decent gas mileage. With the diesel price being what it is, you'll have to drive A LOT to recover the difference in purchase price. And for that, you get a nose heavier car with less power and an impressive torque number that hides the fact that the torque curve falls like a rock.

I would happily own a diesel family howler, especially if it's a big SUV where the MPG for the gas version is just too abysmal. But for a hot hatch that already gets well above 30MPG with a gas engine, in a country where the diesel costs as much or more than premium, not really.
Completely agree with you. Although, regarding purchase price, a Golf TDI is just slightly more expensive than a Golf GTI. There's only a large price difference if you look at a base trim 2.5L N/A gasser. But, then again, the TDI models are pretty well equipped and should not really be compared to base trim n/a gassers.
For instance, Golf TDI comes standard with heated front seats, leather wrapped multi-function steering wheel, touchscreen soundsystem + HD Radio, lowered sport suspension, fog lamps, nice looking 17" alloy wheels. Definitely not a base trim 2.5 gasser.
neg_matnik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #31
C4RBON_F1BER
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 208507
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cedar Falls, IA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5-door
PBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len View Post
I think this diesel fascination among enthusiasts is sort of misplaced. Diesels are generally heavier and low revving, and sound worse. As an alternative to a hybrid, it may be a decent choice, but as an alternative to a gas engine in a performance/fun oriented vehicle, especially with the diesel price in the US, I just don't see it.

The only reason that diesel fun cars exist in the first place is because of the peculiar fuel tax structure in Europe, which does not apply to the US. But the US enthusiast community generally has a romantic idea about performance cars that are available in Europe but not in the US, and that cool factor of the forbidden fruit is I think what makes the idea of oil burning performance cars so attractive. But really, the GTI already gets a decent gas mileage. With the diesel price being what it is, you'll have to drive A LOT to recover the difference in purchase price. And for that, you get a nose heavier car with less power and an impressive torque number that hides the fact that the torque curve falls like a rock.

I would happily own a diesel family howler, especially if it's a big SUV where the MPG for the gas version is just too abysmal. But for a hot hatch that already gets well above 30MPG with a gas engine, in a country where the diesel costs as much or more than premium, not really.
I agree with this. I wish more diesel cars were sold here, but would I actually get one in my only car? No. However, if I was getting a small SUV, minivan, sedan, etc for the sole purpose of transportation I wouldn't hesitate to buy diesel.
C4RBON_F1BER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #32
Bryan T
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 17948
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

I e-mailed vw and asked them to bring it here.
Bryan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #33
woody06967
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 110330
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Canandaigua, NY
Vehicle:
2007 STI Limited
2012 MDX & Golf TDI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
I just do not get the fascination.
I guess if you drive a lot then I can see it, but I get 20 mpg in pure city light to light driving in my R. A plain GTI would best that. Not sure how much I would be willing to give that wonderful 2.0 for a oil burner.

Somebody give me an example of the diesel's awesomeness so I can understand your point of view.
95% of the mileage I put on mine is for work, which is entirely highway mileage and typically 4-5 hour trips. 35k miles a year at $0.565 per mile for reimbursement, and it costs me ~$.09 per mile to operate at 45 mpg. Driving it 35k miles a year for work is a chunk of extra change. It also generates more torque than a GTI and for casual driving is very satisfying. They suck if you flog them, but that's what the 400+ hp STI is for. Diesel is ideal for a larger vehicle like an SUV too.
woody06967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #34
torquemada
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 128484
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Germany
Vehicle:
2006 EDM WRX STI
WRB

Default

torquemada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:40 AM   #35
Bryan T
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 17948
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

"Coming to the U.S." is what I wanted to hear!
Bryan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:40 AM   #36
Balantz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 101457
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
Czar of Sweet Dance
Moves

Default

And will be sadly overpriced, I am sure.
Balantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #37
Integra96
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 64196
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2010 Family Sedan

Default

Looks like a great car! I hope it's priced very close to the GTI.
Integra96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #38
Bryan T
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 17948
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balantz View Post
And will be sadly overpriced, I am sure.
Their cars seem aggressively priced to me.
Bryan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.