Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
subi-T
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348082
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Downey CA
Vehicle:
2002 impreza
World Rally Blue

Default E85 Help

Hey guys!
There may be a thread on this already but can't seem to find it or a answer I'm looking for.
I wanted to know if I can use E85 on my 2002 WRX, if I can run my car on E85 safely and what would happen besides as I heard power gains.
Can I use E85 then switch back to 91 and then use E85 againbor will I need to stay on E85?

My engine mods are: Perrin up pipe, Perrin down pipe, ARC cold air intake, Injen turbo back exhaust, turboxs blow off valve.

Thanks guys. And again sorry if I posted a thread already started just looking for help. :-)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
subi-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
Shortpersonbk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319017
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
12 sti 68mm turBRO
10.48 @134 (6266)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-T View Post
Hey guys!
There may be a thread on this already but can't seem to find it or a answer I'm looking for.
I wanted to know if I can use E85 on my 2002 WRX, if I can run my car on E85 safely and what would happen besides as I heard power gains.
Can I use E85 then switch back to 91 and then use E85 againbor will I need to stay on E85?

My engine mods are: Perrin up pipe, Perrin down pipe, ARC cold air intake, Injen turbo back exhaust, turboxs blow off valve.

Thanks guys. And again sorry if I posted a thread already started just looking for help. :-)
On your stock wrx turbo e-85 would be a waste of money. You will need a tune and larger injectors at the very least if your for some reason dead set on it.
Shortpersonbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Scooby2002
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 291441
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Black

Default

The thread in question is:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1729586

A tune, bigger injectors and a fuel pump are things that are needed for E85, maybe more.

I would read the thread to help decide if its something you actually want to do.
Scooby2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
subi-T
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348082
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Downey CA
Vehicle:
2002 impreza
World Rally Blue

Default

Thanks guys.
What kind of fuel pump do u recomend.
Do u think E85 is worth it?
subi-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Shortpersonbk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319017
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
12 sti 68mm turBRO
10.48 @134 (6266)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-T View Post
Thanks guys.
What kind of fuel pump do u recomend.
Do u think E85 is worth it?
On the stock turbo you would probably not even see more then 10-15hp difference

Just get a wally 255 or dw200, i am using a wally 255 with 750cc injectors on e--85 and a much bigger turbo then your stocker
Shortpersonbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
encryptedballa
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 122189
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Lake Zurich, IL
Vehicle:
02 WRX Wagon
PSM

Default

You def. want the DW300 pump. Drops right in and big enough to support future mods. I'm using it on my td04 on e-85 along with PE 800cc injectors at about a 50% IDC. I'm right around 250whp with a mildly-aggressive tune. You wont get much more than that out of a td04.

Here in IL we have e85 all over, so its really worth it for me.
encryptedballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Shortpersonbk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319017
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
12 sti 68mm turBRO
10.48 @134 (6266)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by encryptedballa View Post
You def. want the DW300 pump. Drops right in and big enough to support future mods. I'm using it on my td04 on e-85 along with PE 800cc injectors at about a 50% IDC. I'm right around 250whp with a mildly-aggressive tune. You wont get much more than that out of a td04.

Here in IL we have e85 all over, so its really worth it for me.
There is no way he needs a dw300, i know multiple guys on 18gs and walbro 255 shoot mine is the size of a small 20g and i am not running into fueling issues. There is no need to waste the $50 difference and get a dw300, unless he has plans for a large 20g or 30r sized turbo in the future.
Shortpersonbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
encryptedballa
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 122189
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Lake Zurich, IL
Vehicle:
02 WRX Wagon
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk View Post
There is no way he needs a dw300, i know multiple guys on 18gs and walbro 255 shoot mine is the size of a small 20g and i am not running into fueling issues. There is no need to waste the $50 difference and get a dw300, unless he has plans for a large 20g or 30r sized turbo in the future.
Just curious, what's your IDC with the setup?

OP: as for your Q regarding switching back and forth from e85 to 91: You will still need 2 maps, yes. You will need to do this anyway since its recommended you run a tank full of reg. gas for every 4-5 e85 tanks you put in. This is done to clean out the buildup that comes with e85.

I just make sure I have a conservative 93octane map ready on my laptop for when I need to switch.
encryptedballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default

"worth it" is a crap question. If you don't have E85 near you, or willing to spend the money on the needed parts to benefit from it, then no it's not worth it. It also limits the travel you can do in a vehicle. In addition, you need to be Protuned just to run E-85. And you'll want to test the fuel before every fill up to insure proper Ethanol blend.

-No, you cannot just put E85 in your stock WRX.
-You will not benefit enough from it with your setup
-Are you even tuned?
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
Shortpersonbk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319017
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
12 sti 68mm turBRO
10.48 @134 (6266)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by encryptedballa View Post
Just curious, what's your IDC with the setup?

OP: as for your Q regarding switching back and forth from e85 to 91: You will still need 2 maps, yes. You will need to do this anyway since its recommended you run a tank full of reg. gas for every 4-5 e85 tanks you put in. This is done to clean out the buildup that comes with e85.

I just make sure I have a conservative 93octane map ready on my laptop for when I need to switch.
just under %90 at 23psi pushing it on these injectors but pretty much got all out of this turbo that i can for now, i have a walbaro 460 e-85 compatible on my desk just saving up for some id1000s to make sure of that but i am overall unimpressed with this turbo.
Shortpersonbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
wrxlaunch
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 181298
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
99 SF

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk View Post

On the stock turbo you would probably not even see more then 10-15hp difference

Just get a wally 255 or dw200, i am using a wally 255 with 750cc injectors on e--85 and a much bigger turbo then your stocker
Are u smoking crack? He will see 10-15 just By switching to 93 oct and a good tune. Op check e85 thread posted above
wrxlaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
paulpat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 237145
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: 562
Vehicle:
02 WRX
12 FXT

Default

No one has mentioned that every time you switch gas you need to switch the tune. So after ur mods, you need to get the car to a tuner and ask for two maps one for each fuel type.
paulpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #13
encryptedballa
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 122189
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Lake Zurich, IL
Vehicle:
02 WRX Wagon
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpat View Post
No one has mentioned that every time you switch gas you need to switch the tune. So after ur mods, you need to get the car to a tuner and ask for two maps one for each fuel type.
i believe i did...
encryptedballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #14
Concillian
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 4414
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Dublin, CA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Midnight Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk View Post
On the stock turbo you would probably not even see more then 10-15hp difference
Bullspit. Stop talking out your ass.

I gained about 45 HP from E85 on the stock turbo coming from 91 octane. There is plenty gain to be had on the stock turbo.

Here is what you need to go E85:
- Fuel pump (DW300 or Walbro 255)
- Fuel injectors (stock turbo I'd go at least 750cc/min to have headroom)
- a tune
- a device to switch that tune back and forth when you fuel up on a different fuel

So there are several ways to do the tuning, but I recommend talking to someone local who will be doing the tuning to find what they recommend, then do that. You'll get the best results listening to the tuner vs. showing up with something they don't recommend and them working with that.

The basic options are Accessport + carry it around to switch maps or Tactrix + laptop and carry that around to switch maps. The 02-03 ECU can be programmed with the Carberry ROM which can be wired with a physical switch to flip between maps without an external device, but this uses a different way of tuning than the stock ROM and it is highly recommended to move your air temperature sensor to the intake manifold to use that.



Also you absolutely do not need to run a tank of regular gas every 4-5 tanks of E85. My car spent over 2 years on E85 exclusively at ~12k miles a year. When I pulled my engine and swapped to the JDM version 8 engine, I moved my injectors over and they were in great shape. Deposits from E85 is rare these days. I won't go into the details, but the deposits weren't from E85, but due to issues with sharing transport and storage equipment between 91 and E85. E85 distribution is mature enough these days that there is very little dual purpose transport equipment anymore, so there are very rarely issues with those deposits.

Last edited by Concillian; 06-14-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Concillian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #15
projectQWKSLVR
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 285270
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
03 WRX
PSM

Default

I think it's bullspit that I don't have e85 up here in Maine! An e85 fueled td04 setup would be a fantastic street car, even better with a 19t variant.

:-/ sadly I'm stuck on 91
projectQWKSLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #16
Groundup
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 294682
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
02 wrx
Sedona Red

Default

Pretty hard to even find 93 in Maine!
Groundup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:38 AM   #17
subi-T
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348082
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Downey CA
Vehicle:
2002 impreza
World Rally Blue

Default

Yup. This is to confusing. Lmao.
Ill stick to 91 for now haha
No need to argue guys we are here to have fun
subi-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #18
Shortpersonbk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319017
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
12 sti 68mm turBRO
10.48 @134 (6266)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concillian View Post
Bullspit. Stop talking out your ass.

I gained about 45 HP from E85 on the stock turbo coming from 91 octane. There is plenty gain to be had on the stock turbo.

Here is what you need to go E85:
- Fuel pump (DW300 or Walbro 255)
- Fuel injectors (stock turbo I'd go at least 750cc/min to have headroom)
- a tune
- a device to switch that tune back and forth when you fuel up on a different fuel
yeah your right he should spend $300 on injectors, $100 fuelpump, $500 on a tune to gain 45whp, i missed the fact that he was moving from 91 not 93 but either way why not spend $300 and get a vf39 at least then he doesn't waste a ton of money on a protune only to be screwed and instantly maxed out

also a DW300 is not comparable to the 255 the DW200 is in both price and flow
Shortpersonbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #19
Concillian
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 4414
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Dublin, CA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Midnight Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk View Post
yeah your right he should spend $300 on injectors, $100 fuelpump, $500 on a tune to gain 45whp, i missed the fact that he was moving from 91 not 93 but either way why not spend $300 and get a vf39 at least then he doesn't waste a ton of money on a protune only to be screwed and instantly maxed out
I didn't state what he should or should not do, but I did not given him misleading or incorrect information like some people did. Why did he say it was confusing? Because some people gave him false information

I gave him what he would need. I gave him numbers from my own foray down the path. You gave him incorrect information and continue to mislead him by trying to compare a vf39 as if it's a comparable path... E85 is a gain across all RPMs, there is no spool penalty like a vf39.

How is being maxed out a concern? a vf39 swap that's tuned for is just as maxed out, isn't it? Anything done right should be maxed out or you overpaid. If you think you'll go bigger later, than buy bigger injectors than you think you'll need. Anything under about 1200-1250 is reasonable to tune reliably and deal with the 1.0ms low limit in the ECU.

Re-tuning also is a pretty small cost if you do it right. get a wideband so you can use an e-tuner and you can get pretty cheap custom tunes for new setups.
Concillian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #20
super_usdm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 286211
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Sacramento, CA
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
1993 Legacy SS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-T View Post
Yup. This is to confusing. Lmao.
Ill stick to 91 for now haha
No need to argue guys we are here to have fun
Don't let all the arguing in this thread deter you from going e85!! Its amazing stuff and well worth the switch if its easily accessable to you. A fuel pump and larger injectors will be necessary later down the road anyway if you decide to upgrade to a larger turbo.
super_usdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #21
jack klompus
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152885
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2014 Malibu LTZ
silver

Default

Go with the DW300 pump or a pump designed for e85. My Walbro 255 got loud and gave me starting trouble after running e85 in less than a year.
jack klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #22
Shortpersonbk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319017
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
12 sti 68mm turBRO
10.48 @134 (6266)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_usdm View Post

Don't let all the arguing in this thread deter you from going e85!! Its amazing stuff and well worth the switch if its easily accessable to you. A fuel pump and larger injectors will be necessary later down the road anyway if you decide to upgrade to a larger turbo.
This! E-85 is great
Shortpersonbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #23
DeatschWerks
NASIOC Manufacturer
 
Member#: 87358
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Oklahoma City
Default

Don't forget that ALL our pumps and injectors are ethanol compatible and come with 3-year warranties as well.
DeatschWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #24
subi-T
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348082
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Downey CA
Vehicle:
2002 impreza
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeatschWerks View Post
Don't forget that ALL our pumps and injectors are ethanol compatible and come with 3-year warranties as well.
How mauch are those? Where can I find one??
subi-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #25
DeatschWerks
NASIOC Manufacturer
 
Member#: 87358
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Oklahoma City
Default

www.deatschwerks.com

If you have any questions about what would work best for your application feel free to PM me or reply in this thread.
DeatschWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.