Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
OctaneMatt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 360764
Default ECU options for Cosworth engine with dual AVCS

I’m helping a friend that has a Cosworth 2.6L longblock that he’s transplanting into a kit car. The engine has dual AVCS and 1000cc (he believes) injectors. Electronic throttle. Not sure yet about the turbo.

The car has a USDM 2006 harness. As the exhaust AVCS wasn’t available until 2008 something has to be done.

It would be nice to control both cams but it seems engine management options are limited. There is also the potential that it has some bad cams: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2392133

If he wants to keep the exhaust AVCS, what options are available? I spoke to AEM about their Infinity box and it doesn’t support Subaru cam/crank signal timing out of the box but they sounded receptive to making one that would work. Their Series 2 box could potentially work but he said there are 3 magnetic inputs and 4 hall, and he thought that the cams have magnetic pickups so it wouldn’t easily work. Can someone confirm what sensors it would have?

The car will be driven on the street (but emissions are not a concern) and on the track.

If we wanted to simplify things and just use the 2006 harness and control only the intake cams, what would need to be done with the exhaust AVCS? Could it just be left disconnected or would new cam gears be required?

I’m new to the Subaru world so please bear with me…

Cheers,
Matt
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
OctaneMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:00 AM   #2
kellygnsd
Scooby Guru

Member#: 32669
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2007 2.34LR, EFR7670
LINK G4 hybrid STi

Link/Vipec or Pectel ECU will do what you need. You can either get the correct model year engine harness or wire the added CPS and solenoids into the ECU to make it work. Use twisted shielded pair wire if you plan on running your own though.
kellygnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
OctaneMatt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 360764

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygnsd View Post
Link/Vipec or Pectel ECU will do what you need. You can either get the correct model year engine harness or wire the added CPS and solenoids into the ECU to make it work. Use twisted shielded pair wire if you plan on running your own though.
Thanks for the leads. It would be nice to keep the '04 harness that's in the car is it would be a lot of work to swap out. I did some digging and found that the crank sensor is magnetic and the cams are hall effect.

Are there any other stand alone EFI systems that we should investigate? I found an '04 STi ECU. I assume there aren't any unused I/O channels to handle the additional cam sensors/controls?

Cheers,
Matt
OctaneMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
kellygnsd
Scooby Guru

Member#: 32669
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2007 2.34LR, EFR7670
LINK G4 hybrid STi

If you want to use quad AVCS you either have to add the necessary wires for the exhaust cams or use the correct model year engine harness. There aren't any spares in your current harness that you could use.

I run a link ecu myself and know it will acceppt hall effect or reluctor type sensors and can control quad AVCS engines.

Last edited by kellygnsd; 06-28-2013 at 08:20 PM.
kellygnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
jura11
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 255146
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2001 2002 WRX Wagon
WR BLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneMatt View Post
Thanks for the leads. It would be nice to keep the '04 harness that's in the car is it would be a lot of work to swap out. I did some digging and found that the crank sensor is magnetic and the cams are hall effect.

Are there any other stand alone EFI systems that we should investigate? I found an '04 STi ECU. I assume there aren't any unused I/O channels to handle the additional cam sensors/controls?

Cheers,
Matt
Hi Matt

Have look on the Syvecs S6PnP which should be great ECU for yours needs
This ECU can control AVCS plus on board Lambda,EGT,datalooging etc

Running this ECU and must admit,its my best investment

Jura
jura11 is offline   Reply With Quote