Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 6, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #76
White Bugeye Trooper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268822
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Buckhannon, WV
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grzydj View Post

Pastrana is doing pretty well in NASCAR, but he's footing some the bill now and his fame is starting to fade a bit. I wouldn't look for him being there much longer, not unless he gets some major sponsorship soon.
I agree 100% his name in NASCAR means nothing. But he is doing really well with little experience. He has had some bad breaks resulting in bad finishes. He drives for Roush-Fenway so he has top knotch stuff. My guess he will be there a couple more years, then if he doesn't do any better he will be done
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
White Bugeye Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #77
grzydj
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84984
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i 5D
'04 Toyota Tacoma TRD

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Bugeye Trooper View Post
I agree 100% his name in NASCAR means nothing. But he is doing really well with little experience. He has had some bad breaks resulting in bad finishes. He drives for Roush-Fenway so he has top knotch stuff. My guess he will be there a couple more years, then if he doesn't do any better he will be done
I don't care much for oval stock car racing, but the learning curve is pretty difficult and takes years to become a seasoned, well rounded driver. I'm not sure how much his bike/rally experience is going to pay off even if he is doing reasonably well as of now.

He got married, has a kid on the way and the whole Pastrana-Waltrip racing team that NASCAR was banking so heavily on to get NASCAR fans back into seats fell apart after Travis broke his foot at X-Games over a year ago. There's a glimmer of hope left, but millions and millions of dollars to keep his name in the limelight to keep non and NASCAR fans alike interested in him. I think he's a bit past that stage already.
grzydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #78
White Bugeye Trooper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268822
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Buckhannon, WV
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grzydj View Post

I don't care much for oval stock car racing, but the learning curve is pretty difficult and takes years to become a seasoned, well rounded driver. I'm not sure how much his bike/rally experience is going to pay off even if he is doing reasonably well as of now.

He got married, has a kid on the way and the whole Pastrana-Waltrip racing team that NASCAR was banking so heavily on to get NASCAR fans back into seats fell apart after Travis broke his foot at X-Games over a year ago. There's a glimmer of hope left, but millions and millions of dollars to keep his name in the limelight to keep non and NASCAR fans alike interested in him. I think he's a bit past that stage already.
NASCAR doesn't use him at all, and Travis isn't even in the limelight anymore in NASCAR. All they care about now is the non driving b.tch Danica Patrick. All that girl does is bring in sponsor dollars. But that's a whole other topic lol. Also Travis drives for RoushFeneway anyway. He quit with waltrip a couple years ago. What alot of people don't know is he raced lower series for a while, so they just didn't throw him into NASCAR. He has worked his way up.
White Bugeye Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #79
grzydj
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84984
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i 5D
'04 Toyota Tacoma TRD

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Bugeye Trooper View Post
NASCAR doesn't use him at all, and Travis isn't even in the limelight anymore in NASCAR. All they care about now is the non driving b.tch Danica Patrick. All that girl does is bring in sponsor dollars. But that's a whole other topic lol. Also Travis drives for RoushFeneway anyway. He quit with waltrip a couple years ago. What alot of people don't know is he raced lower series for a while, so they just didn't throw him into NASCAR. He has worked his way up.
Well, you're right about a few things, but Pastrana-Waltrip racing fell apart due to all of his sponsors bailing on him when he was left with a broken foot and couldn't drive for over a year. He was at the peak of his career at that point. He was doing well in Rally America, Nitro Circus was still popular etc.

NASCAR was suffering from plummeting ratings and thought he and Patrick would be a good fit for bringing in new fans and they were right, about Patrick anyway.

I still see his image being used in promotional footage for upcoming races, but Pastrana can't even bankroll racing a full season in the Nationwide series. I doubt he'll be racing in Sprint Cup any time soon, but we're getting off topic here. Unless of course you want to talk about his part time ride driving a Dodge Dart in the GRC.
grzydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #80
a2cpc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10139
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indy/Broad Ripple
Vehicle:
WRX 09 Outback 15
Miata 93

Default

I got called to work the GRC in Atlanta for ESPN. An hour later they said nevermind, but then asked if I was available for a race in September. Fortunately, I a working every weekend but the one they wanted from August 1 thru the end of the Final Four so I am not too upset, just would have been fun.
a2cpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #81
Vinnie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 7869
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: MPLS, MN
Vehicle:
2011 STi
TheUrbanRallyProject.com

Default

Yeah, his agent or whoever is in charge of him should have been smacked hard for ever letting him get close to the x-games last year. That broken foot killed him!

ESPN was promoting him like crazy for the Nationwide events
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #82
White Bugeye Trooper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268822
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Buckhannon, WV
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI
PSM

Default

Yea I don't think he will be in Cup anytime soon, if at all. And danica will die off soon enough. But yes off topic lol
White Bugeye Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #83
DannyLerch
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353235
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
World Rally Blue

Default

Let's face it, Subaru left WRC in 2008. We've been waiting for their return to WRC in 2014. So what we get is a nearly 6 year gap where they are not developing cars for world motorsport. This means not as much competitive bench marking.

I know that everyone hates the US rally team, but it takes years to get a car developed for motorsport. The hayday were the Colin Mcrae years. it is embarrassing to see a Dodge Dart beat a Subaru in the X-Games. it is embarrassing to see our beloved cars in a non competitive state. Lets only hope that with a 2014 year of WRC we can see some improvement.

You can blame the drivers all you want, but the STI/WRX/WRC car is just too heavy now to compete against a fiesta. Subaru needs to get some weight off their cars to compete.

If you want to see Subaru competitive, they need to release a small 2 door 22b style car again. Or at least a 2 door hatch.

Last edited by DannyLerch; 07-08-2013 at 08:03 PM.
DannyLerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #84
dburgoon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310366
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ft Myers, FL
Vehicle:
03 vf37'd WRB
Bugeye

Default

^^ this guy speaks the truth! I agree with every point said. A 22b style car would be awesome, but I feel Subaru could still be competitive with a 4 door, just needs a weight reduction!
dburgoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #85
White Bugeye Trooper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268822
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Buckhannon, WV
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI
PSM

Default

All this talk about weight... Are there not weight rules in these competitions?? And yes 22b style all the way
White Bugeye Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #86
424wrx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 171948
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: new york
Vehicle:
08 wrx vf52 swap
best et,12.6@108.7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLerch View Post
Let's face it, Subaru left WRC in 2008. We've been waiting for their return to WRC in 2014. So what we get is a nearly 6 year gap where they are not developing cars for world motorsport. This means not as much competitive bench marking.

I know that everyone hates the US rally team, but it takes years to get a car developed for motorsport. The hayday were the Colin Mcrae years. it is embarrassing to see a Dodge Dart beat a Subaru in the X-Games. it is embarrassing to see our beloved cars in a non competitive state. Lets only hope that with a 2014 year of WRC we can see some improvement.

You can blame the drivers all you want, but the STI/WRX/WRC car is just too heavy now to compete against a fiesta. Subaru needs to get some weight of their cars to compete.

If you want to see Subaru competitive, they need to release a small 2 door 22b style car again. Or at least a 2 door hatch.
have you seen how well the subaru usa rally team have doen the last few years? not too shabby. david higgins is an amazing driver. give some credit at least.
424wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #87
dburgoon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310366
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ft Myers, FL
Vehicle:
03 vf37'd WRB
Bugeye

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Bugeye Trooper View Post
All this talk about weight... Are there not weight rules in these competitions?? And yes 22b style all the way
There are weight rules in almost every type of competition...
dburgoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #88
DannyLerch
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353235
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 424wrx View Post
have you seen how well the subaru usa rally team have doen the last few years? not too shabby. david higgins is an amazing driver. give some credit at least.
If anything I am defending the drivers. The cars just need to go on the atkins diet. Plus I really really really want to see a 2door WRX/STI style sedan again. Yes we all love the BRZ but I want an AWD subie with 2 doors. I always wanted a 22b, since they were never released in the USA I stand no chance to obtain one. Unless i do an RS swap and that's the closest I'll ever get.

I guarantee you if you take the same motor and drivetrain but put it on a 2 door chassis, you'd see subies take the podium. With Mini's making a comeback in Rally(they took it back in the 1960's too), Fords getting Tiny, VW is here to play, CitroŽn has had it for a while, Peugeot 206's are tiny, Lancia even back in the day had small cars, Audi Quattro S1 anybody??!!! Thinking smaller is the way to go. Even with the economy, society is wanting/demanding smaller more efficient cars.

SUBARU, if you are reading this, please re-release the 22b style chassis with your modern super futuristic motor/drive train. Us USA subaru fanatics will buy it, oh and you'll start winning WRC/Rally Cross again.
DannyLerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #89
skimobile
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 92114
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Westerly, RI
Vehicle:
03 WRX (NAVY Camo)
in"Special Ed." Run Group

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugby9 View Post
Yeah, his agent or whoever is in charge of him should have been smacked hard for ever letting him get close to the x-games last year. That broken foot killed him!

ESPN was promoting him like crazy for the Nationwide events
Back in his MX days he also lost his factory MX sponsorship by horsing around and getting hurt jumping his bike over a fence at the top of a hillclimb. His father was furious at the time. Some things don"t change.
skimobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #90
White Bugeye Trooper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268822
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Buckhannon, WV
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI
PSM

Default

I want the return of the 22b, sadly with the car that seems to he released, no where near it
White Bugeye Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #91
DannyLerch
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353235
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Bugeye Trooper View Post
I want the return of the 22b, sadly with the car that seems to he released, no where near it
Nope, it's gonna be too heavy.



MMMM so sexy^^^^



Mirra and Bucky could sell tons of these.
DannyLerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #92
White Bugeye Trooper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268822
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Buckhannon, WV
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI
PSM

Default

Hell with Mirra and Bucky, they will wreck them too haha. But unfortunately the day of the 22b is long long gone...
White Bugeye Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #93
DannyLerch
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353235
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
World Rally Blue

Default

It's not just weight either, a smaller chassis gives you better handling, cornering, weight to power transfer. I'm no racecar driver, but the closer your rally car is to a gocart, the better.
DannyLerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #94
White Bugeye Trooper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268822
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Buckhannon, WV
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI
PSM

Default

Yea that makes sense. When is the release gonna be for the new wrx and Sti? Late this year?
White Bugeye Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #95
dburgoon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310366
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ft Myers, FL
Vehicle:
03 vf37'd WRB
Bugeye

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLerch View Post
It's not just weight either, a smaller chassis gives you better handling, cornering, weight to power transfer. I'm no racecar driver, but the closer your rally car is to a gocart, the better.
The problem with a short car is that it will over rotate too quickly and you can't catch it. If this weren't true, formula one cars would be short, and they are not! That's why the darts have more forgiveness through the turns then say the pollo, but the pollo CAN be quicker through the turns with the right driver.

I'm curious what the power distribution is on most rallyX cars, is it 50/50 or?
dburgoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #96
DannyLerch
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353235
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Bugeye Trooper View Post
Hell with Mirra and Bucky, they will wreck them too haha. But unfortunately the day of the 22b is long long gone...
Maybe not though, with the introduction of the BRZ, a 2door coupe, we may see an interest in the future to a 2door wrx/impreza. There should be an open dialogue to subaru about what the fanbase/owners want.

I've always been into subarus. My first car was a subaru. Every car I've owned has been a subaru. My whole family drives a subaru. If there is three things they've muffed up on it is not releasing the 22b in the US, dropping out of wrc, and discontinuing the impreza in the UK.

By doing so they've been over passed by 6 years of R&D with all the other major players in motorsport. It will take some time before they are major players again if ever. Again the fiesta in WRC is a 2 door, Mini 2 door, CitroŽn 2 door, VW 2 door, do I even need to go on?
DannyLerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #97
dburgoon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310366
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ft Myers, FL
Vehicle:
03 vf37'd WRB
Bugeye

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLerch View Post
by 6 years of R&D with all the other major players in motorsport. It will take some time before they are major players again if ever. Again the fiesta in WRC is a 2 door, Mini 2 door, CitroŽn 2 door, VW 2 door, do I even need to go on?
Pretty sure the mini was the 4 door version...atleast in rallyX it was. But everything else is a 2 door in both WRC and GRC.
dburgoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #98
DannyLerch
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353235
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburgoon View Post
The problem with a short car is that it will over rotate too quickly and you can't catch it. If this weren't true, formula one cars would be short, and they are not! That's why the darts have more forgiveness through the turns then say the pollo, but the pollo CAN be quicker through the turns with the right driver.

I'm curious what the power distribution is on most rallyX cars, is it 50/50 or?
F1 cars also travel at 100mph faster than rally cars. They have to be longer for aerodynamics to take effect on the fairings. Rally cars do not travel at speeds that cause such pains. The speeds that rally cars travel make shorter/wider cars better.

Also f1 cars race on tracks with perfect tarmac conditions. Races are often canceled for rain etc. Put a f1 car in the snow, oh wait that never happens.

The problem with heavier/longer cars is understeer. The key is a perfectly 50/50 balanced short car. Again, audi quattro s1 anyone. Take a look back man, most of the revolutionary machines in WRC were smaller, faster, and more agile.
DannyLerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #99
DannyLerch
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353235
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburgoon View Post
Pretty sure the mini was the 4 door version...atleast in rallyX it was. But everything else is a 2 door in both WRC and GRC.
You're right the mini was a 4 door, but still it is a mini. It is still tiny compared to the others.
DannyLerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #100
dburgoon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310366
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ft Myers, FL
Vehicle:
03 vf37'd WRB
Bugeye

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLerch View Post

F1 cars also travel at 100mph faster than rally cars. They have to be longer for aerodynamics to take effect on the fairings. Rally cars do not travel at speeds that cause such pains. The speeds that rally cars travel make shorter/wider cars better.

Also f1 cars race on tracks with perfect tarmac conditions. Races are often canceled for rain etc. Put a f1 car in the snow, oh wait that never happens.

The problem with heavier/longer cars is understeer. The key is a perfectly 50/50 balanced short car. Again, audi quattro s1 anyone. Take a look back man, most of the revolutionary machines in WRC were smaller, faster, and more agile.
This is true. I am not a dirt/gravel/snow expert and will not claim it. I am however very knowledgeable on tarmac (i set up suspension for a local race team) so I guess I'm trying to take concept I know for tarmac too dirt. I guess they are not the same and I have a lot of learning to do for off-road racing which I am now getting into.
dburgoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2015, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.