Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #26
Gallo2011
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 268310
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Kali
Vehicle:
2011 SSM STI saloon
Church!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckdoutwrx View Post
feed back is REALLY appreciated guys.

so after all responses i think my FIRST purchase should be either a AP or a pro tune along with some gauges so i can properly monitor my cars behavior.

-COBB AP/PROTUNE

-BOOST GUAGE http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Defi...al-52mm-30-PSI (30 reviews and average of 5 stars)

-DP http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Invi...rced-Wastegate (also alot of great reviews)

these are going to be my first couple of upgrades. i will most likely get the AP and Boost gauge together. flash to stage 1 and drive it for a bit while saving more toy money for the DP and once i get the DP i will head over to AMS and get the car tuned. i think the AP would be good to have regardless since it also has other functions

ill also be smoking my taillights, powder coating my calipers and possibly some other bits and ends red, and probably removing my rain guards.

so again thank you everybody!

i will update as i go
You're getting the hang of this. Just got your order a little...out of order.

Wait for the protune until you're ready to install the down pipe. Stock with a protune is not going to get you where you want to be. The down pipe is the key. Buy one, install it, IMMEDIATELY flash to the off-the-shelf stage 2 map, then drive to your favorite tuner, at your convenience, and let him have at it.

Edit: Ignore me. Didn't read your paragraph thoroughly. You've got it right.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Gallo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #27
blckdoutwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 361779
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: chicagos northwest burbs
Vehicle:
2011 subaru wrx
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo2011 View Post

You're getting the hang of this. Just got your order a little...out of order.

Wait for the protune until you're ready to install the down pipe. Stock with a protune is not going to get you where you want to be. The down pipe is the key. Buy one, install it, IMMEDIATELY flash to the off-the-shelf stage 2 map, then drive to your favorite tuner, at your convenience, and let him have at it.

Edit: Ignore me. Didn't read your paragraph thoroughly. You've got it right.
For sure man no worries!
blckdoutwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #28
jdmda9noke
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 323876
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: roanoke virginia
Vehicle:
2005 wrx
rally blue

Default

im looking forward to a build thread
jdmda9noke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #29
blckdoutwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 361779
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: chicagos northwest burbs
Vehicle:
2011 subaru wrx
black

Default

hard to tell buy i painted my calipers red and smoked my lights, i also just ordered a turbo smart 52mm boost guage and smy cluster maker dual guage pod! so im pretty excited for that to come. ill then be ordering the AP in about a week or two and flashing a stage 1 map for a while before i order a dp and get a tune!



BTW i was at a carshow yesterday and someone backed into my car when i was away from it damage isnt bad a but a little scuff and crack in my paint..
blckdoutwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #30
Hashtag
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 360155
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
2010 Subaru WRX STi
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Congrats on your purchase!
Hashtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #31
Vella22
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 360582
Join Date: Jun 2013
Vehicle:
2011 Wrx
DGM

Default

Congrats on the car man. I picked up my first subie (2011) on 1 July. Ordered AP the same day along with Kartboy SS. I didn't see it in your list of mods but I highly recommend it as the stock shifter is crazy tall. I combined it with a Cobb Knob and its a nice throw and feel now.
Vella22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #32
blckdoutwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 361779
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: chicagos northwest burbs
Vehicle:
2011 subaru wrx
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vella22 View Post
Congrats on the car man. I picked up my first subie (2011) on 1 July. Ordered AP the same day along with Kartboy SS. I didn't see it in your list of mods but I highly recommend it as the stock shifter is crazy tall. I combined it with a Cobb Knob and its a nice throw and feel now.

ya i forgot to mention that the car does have a short shifter and actually a cobb knobb as well lol

i will be ordering the AP within the next week or so and then ill start saving for my down pipe
blckdoutwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #33
blckdoutwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 361779
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: chicagos northwest burbs
Vehicle:
2011 subaru wrx
black

Default

ok guys so i installed my smy cluster maker (only have 1 guage (boost) atm though) for now anyways and purchased a used cobb AP newest version unmarried from a user on the forums thats on its way should be here thursday


so i knowwww people advised me its not worth it and harp on me if you wish but i reallly desire the sound that an intake will give my car and i want this to be my next purchase before my DP.

so please what would you guys recommend

the Cobb SF

or the AEM cold air

thanks!
blckdoutwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #34
besthaticouldo
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 279660
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: STL
Default

i have the AEM and i like it a lot.

also if you want to trade exhausts i'd be interested. I'm down in STL and have an invidia q300 (quad tips)
besthaticouldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #35
blckdoutwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 361779
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: chicagos northwest burbs
Vehicle:
2011 subaru wrx
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
i have the AEM and i like it a lot.

also if you want to trade exhausts i'd be interested. I'm down in STL and have an invidia q300 (quad tips)
thats def a possibilty what do you prefer in the single exit over the quads
blckdoutwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #36
blckdoutwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 361779
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: chicagos northwest burbs
Vehicle:
2011 subaru wrx
black

Default

also, will the aem give me the desired sound im looking for? or do i need a short ram for that?
blckdoutwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #37
Dale2011WRX
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 304299
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Nor'East
Vehicle:
2011 WRX, white
2014 Crosstrek, tangerine

Default

I have an AEM and I'm very happy with it. SRI will be louder. Impossible to know which you'll prefer until you hear them yourself.
Dale2011WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #38
imaginos
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 359870
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Northern CA
Vehicle:
2015 base WRX 6MT
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckdoutwrx View Post
car has 25000 on it and came with an invidia cat back (which is single not dual) exhaust which i dont prefer but owell. also came with rally armor mud flaps hids and green fog lights, so basically car is bone stock
just a nitpick but it's not "bone stock"... that means nothing has been modified at all.

I know, not a helpful post
imaginos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #39
mbhammerbro
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 344521
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 STi
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginos View Post
just a nitpick but it's not "bone stock"... that means nothing has been modified at all.

I know, not a helpful post
And "basically bone stock" is different than bone stock.
mbhammerbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #40
imaginos
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 359870
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Northern CA
Vehicle:
2015 base WRX 6MT
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhammerbro View Post
And "basically bone stock" is different than bone stock.
basically racecar
imaginos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #41
grizbone
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 360526
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Premium
Plasma Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhammerbro View Post
And "basically bone stock" is different than bone stock.
There's stock and there's modified. Not really an inbetween. Regardless of which, nice ride. Good luck with the build.
grizbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #42
rockyraccoon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 260965
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Katy, TX
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Silver

Default

I would definitely pass on any cai unless you are going big turbo/E-85. Id rather take the $275 of the Intake and buy a 255lph fuel pump and a used Downpipe (depending on brand can run from $150-350 for a good one). You can do an E tune and flash your car through your AP on a torqued performance tune or a Clark Turner tune.

The fuel pump is roughly $80 and will allow your tuner to squeeze out a little bit more power without overwhelming your fuel system. And then If you decide to step up to bigger injectors and an even bigger fuel pump to run E-85, then id consider a cai.
rockyraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #43
mbhammerbro
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 344521
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 STi
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizbone View Post
There's stock and there's modified. Not really an inbetween. Regardless of which, nice ride. Good luck with the build.
Yea I get that, but if all I had was a CBE and someone asked if the car was stock I would say yea basically. Not that it is modified. I guess its just a choice of words.
mbhammerbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #44
blckdoutwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 361779
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: chicagos northwest burbs
Vehicle:
2011 subaru wrx
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyraccoon View Post
I would definitely pass on any cai unless you are going big turbo/E-85. Id rather take the $275 of the Intake and buy a 255lph fuel pump and a used Downpipe (depending on brand can run from $150-350 for a good one). You can do an E tune and flash your car through your AP on a torqued performance tune or a Clark Turner tune.

The fuel pump is roughly $80 and will allow your tuner to squeeze out a little bit more power without overwhelming your fuel system. And then If you decide to step up to bigger injectors and an even bigger fuel pump to run E-85, then id consider a cai.
gotchya man, well i just recieve my AP today and flashed to stage 1, theres def a differance and im happy with it.

and IF you had the extra cash, because i will be purchasing a DP sooner than later, then would you get a CAI? my original plan was to get AP go stage one the get a a DP followed by running cobbs stage 2 for a bit THEN getting a protune since im about 30 mins from a solid shop (ams) but i worked some over time last week and came into some more cash than i normally would so i want to splurge on an intake just because i love the sound
blckdoutwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #45
rockyraccoon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 260965
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Katy, TX
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckdoutwrx View Post
gotchya man, well i just recieve my AP today and flashed to stage 1, theres def a differance and im happy with it. and IF you had the extra cash, because i will be purchasing a DP sooner than later, then would you get a CAI? my original plan was to get AP go stage one the get a a DP followed by running cobbs stage 2 for a bit THEN getting a protune since im about 30 mins from a solid shop (ams) but i worked some over time last week and came into some more cash than i normally would so i want to splurge on an intake just because i love the sound
If I had extra cash I'd rather do suspension work. To pay $200+ dollars for noise you will get tired of is a waste. IN MY OPINION, of course. In the end it's your money. But since 90% of the forum has the same mentality regarding intakes, it's definitely something to consider that we might have some validity to our train of thought.

The best mod you can do as far as best bang for your buck is the driver mod. I don't know about any local tracks around you, but I'm pretty sure within a few hours from your location you can find a local track that might have a driving school.

There is one a few hours from me that for $250, you get 4 lessons. The first is a 4 hour class. Second is a ride along with instructor. Third is hot laps with you driving and the instructor in your passenger seat. Fourth is you alone for a few hot laps.
rockyraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #46
blckdoutwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 361779
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: chicagos northwest burbs
Vehicle:
2011 subaru wrx
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyraccoon View Post
If I had extra cash I'd rather do suspension work. To pay $200+ dollars for noise you will get tired of is a waste. IN MY OPINION, of course. In the end it's your money. But since 90% of the forum has the same mentality regarding intakes, it's definitely something to consider that we might have some validity to our train of thought.

The best mod you can do as far as best bang for your buck is the driver mod. I don't know about any local tracks around you, but I'm pretty sure within a few hours from your location you can find a local track that might have a driving school.

There is one a few hours from me that for $250, you get 4 lessons. The first is a 4 hour class. Second is a ride along with instructor. Third is hot laps with you driving and the instructor in your passenger seat. Fourth is you alone for a few hot laps.

fair enough, appreciate your thought. if i didnt spend this money on intake id probably go fuel pump and injectors anyways.

as far as tracks "road america" is pretty close to me and my car will be there sooner than later.. my bike has already been there a few times, theres nothing like it.
blckdoutwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #47
blckdoutwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 361779
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: chicagos northwest burbs
Vehicle:
2011 subaru wrx
black

Default

Just installed my Cobb sf flashed to sf stage 1 took a test drive and got an abs light just a coincidence? Sensor maybe? Idk..
blckdoutwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #48
Wireeater
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 76503
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Louisa, VA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Turn the car off then back on, usually clears those.

Depending on how long you plan on going stage 1, I will recommend going with a torqued performance e-tune. It's only 85$ or you can buy the stage 1 & 2 package for 145$!

I got mine the other day. I thought I was happy with the Cobb AP OTS Stage 1 tune until I loaded Eric's tune! It's so much stronger and brutal than the AP tune. It only took 2 revisions for Eric to get it perfect. When you purchase you will be given a link to download the zip. It will contain a tune for your model WRX. He will have a different AP tune for every type of intake which is extremely nice if you decide to switch up later. Once you load your tune you run a log on your AP (3rd gear pull from 2500 RPM to 6500 RPM, WOT. Send the log to Eric and he will overlook it and make any adjustments needed for fineknock sensor, boost, etc. He will keep working with it until he feels it is a nice, safe tune.

He would have a new revision for me about an hour or two in the evening after sending him the log file.
Wireeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #49
mbhammerbro
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 344521
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 STi
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireeater View Post
Turn the car off then back on, usually clears those.

Depending on how long you plan on going stage 1, I will recommend going with a torqued performance e-tune. It's only 85$ or you can buy the stage 1 & 2 package for 145$!

I got mine the other day. I thought I was happy with the Cobb AP OTS Stage 1 tune until I loaded Eric's tune! It's so much stronger and brutal than the AP tune. It only took 2 revisions for Eric to get it perfect. When you purchase you will be given a link to download the zip. It will contain a tune for your model WRX. He will have a different AP tune for every type of intake which is extremely nice if you decide to switch up later. Once you load your tune you run a log on your AP (3rd gear pull from 2500 RPM to 6500 RPM, WOT. Send the log to Eric and he will overlook it and make any adjustments needed for fineknock sensor, boost, etc. He will keep working with it until he feels it is a nice, safe tune.

He would have a new revision for me about an hour or two in the evening after sending him the log file.
I've been looking into this lately, but I've heard he mainly only tunes WRX's. Does he tune STi's too?
mbhammerbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #50
BeefCurtains64
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 251257
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Location: DFW
Vehicle:
12 WRX

Default

If going w/ tp, I would recommend checking your parameters every once in a while.

But why TP? Why cai? Stock everything but bigger IC, fuel pump and fuel injectors pro tune and you net 300+whp 350+wtq.
BeefCurtains64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.