Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
dakyn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 299512
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Aspen White

Default 2003 wrx accessport problems

Hey guys, Im having some problems with my accessport I just got for my 2003 wrx. Trying to flash the stage 1 91 map. After plugging in test mode and the initialization connector (the white 2003-2005 connector), when I try to flash it tells me to plug in the init connector. It is going in to test mode and it goes all the way through saving my current ecu data, but will not flash. I've made sure everything was connected properly, followed the instructions exactly, and nothing. I've looked on a few forums but can't find many people with this same problem.

I called Cobb and they told me to try to remake their init connector, but I couldn't find the right parts in town. Called them again and they are sending me another init connector. I just checked the voltage of the 4 terminals on the harness you plug the init connector in to and it read 4 volts on one, 5 on the other, and 0 volts for the other 2 terminals. (I'm sorry if i'm not making any sense, i'm not very technical. Just ask if you want clarification.) I think I've read somewhere that that init connector needs 12 volts to properly initialize, but i'm not sure if that's right. After that I checked the init connector that I have now and it seemed fine.

Has anyone had a similar problem? My dad thinks it could be the OBD-II cable. I asked cobb if it could be a problem with the accessport itself and they said it is very unlikely.

Again, I am not very technical, so if you are confused feel free to ask for clarification. I can include pictures too if need be.

Thanks guys!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
dakyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
FireSooby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 181869
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Silver

I'm having a kind of similar problem with my AP as well on a '03 WRX. When I plug it into the OBD2 port it powers up the AP and all is well..when I turn the ignition to the "On" position it's like I loose power to the AP through the OBD2..is that what yours is doing as well or is it completely different? COBB was completely stumped by this.
FireSooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
skizzleWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 349318

My AP is doing the same exact thing! Same year car also! Same voltage on plug too! I read that if you jump a wire from the battery to the init connector itlll work but im NOT trying to put 12v somewhere that it shouldn't be! When I try to flash, it says "initialization error" and shows a voltage of like 4.39 or thereabouts so I was thinking of putting 12v to the wire on the plug where im showing 4.3v. NE help would be AWESOME! Cobb said to put a charger on but ive tried that AND a jumper pack. same problem still.
skizzleWRX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
dakyn
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Aspen White

Sounds like youre having a different problem than me firesooby, but I also stumped cobb!

Skizzle, I heard about that solution as well but didn't find any good writeups on it and I didnt exactly understand it, didn't want to try it and end up ruining my ecu. I ended up just sending it back to them and getting a TBE from them instead. When they got the AP they tested it and said it worked fine, which makes me think its my car.

When I decide to tune it I will probably get it professionally done on a dyno, theres a place here in Colorado that will do dyno tunes and if theres a problem with the car and it cant flash, they'll fix it and then flash it. Its 1/3 of the price of the AP so maybe that would be the better way to go!

Last edited by dakyn; 09-05-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
mmmark111
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 363767
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
SRP

Oh man. I'm going through this exact problem. 02 WRX. I get to the same point where it tries to upload the map and I get initialization error. Cobb says they are 100% sure that there is an existing tune on the car and it is blocking the AP from flashing.
mmmark111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
dakyn
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Aspen White

Thats what they told me too mark, they told me I need to buy a new ecu if I want to use the AP. So instead im going to get it tuned this weekend on a dyno, so hopefully this problem was with the AP and not my car!
Old 10-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
jaypine
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 50398
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Silver

What version AP?
jaypine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #8
mmmark111
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 363767
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
SRP

Mine is a v2.
mmmark111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
Jrchmndscbc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 364916
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2003 Wrx
World Rally Blue

Ive had a buddy of mine that has the same problem with his Bugeye. He had the accessport V2 & surprisingly he sold the AccessPort, not that there was anything wrong with the AP itself, but His car had an Existing tune. I have no knowledge on fixing this problem but thats what's likely happening to you guys. Ive recently installed my V3 and it works just fine.
Jrchmndscbc is offline   Reply With Quote