Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday September 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 249130
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
0095 Ver5 STi Type R
Black

Default Camshaft Profiles and the correct supporting Mods

Hey guys, I'm building a Ver5 STi RA, and I will be building the entire block n heads before it gets swapped. I have a few questions concerning which Cams fit my build the best. Engine will consists of built bottom end, rotated gtx3071r .82a/r, 38mm TiAl EWG, walbro 255lph, ID 850-1000cc, Cooling Mist Water/Methanol inj, FMIC....
I was looking at the:
Kelford 199-J advert.@ .25mm 264/260 10.90/10.50 LSA110/113 8500rpms Complete Kelford Valvetrain w/ BC Adjustable Cam Gears.

My thoughts were that these Low duration high lift cams will compliment the gtx3071r very well in the mid range and hold on all the way to 8000rpms. But since I am just beginning to understand what Camshaft profile works best with what supporting mods, I would appreciate any help, and entertain all opinions.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
WelDun1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
mod maniac
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 300551
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2&4 fxt & fxt sti
Fullers Garage

Drag racing? road racing? streat use?
mod maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
0095 Ver5 STi Type R
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod maniac View Post
Drag racing? road racing? streat use?
3 times a week driven, Time Attack & Tarmac Raced on weekends. I'm looking for people that have experience with Kelford Cams, or just Low duration/High Lift Camshafts in general. The Kelford 199-J's are supposedly for rally and time attack. Im wondering how well they'll hold up into high RPM's. It says they're good through 8500 so idk... I don't have much experience in the Camshaft field yet. I'm hoping to gain some valuable knowledge outta running them

Last edited by WelDun1; 07-28-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
mod maniac
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2&4 fxt & fxt sti
Fullers Garage

I ran the kelford 199-e road racing cams on my last stroker and loved them. What can I help you with?
Old 07-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
0095 Ver5 STi Type R
Black

Quote:
I ran the kelford 199-e road racing cams on my last stroker and loved them. What can I help you with?
Well basically, I'm just curious how the 199-J's will run with my setup. Will they allow my gtx3071r to pull all the way to redline, or will it fall off early? After doing tons of research, i came to the conclusion that they were the best match for what I'm trying to do. I'm not looking for huge #'s. Although it would be nice to hit that 400 mark, but as long as I stay responsive as hell into the high 300's,
Old 08-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
mod maniac
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2&4 fxt & fxt sti
Fullers Garage

With the e's redline was no problem I even bumped it up to 8k because it kept hitting the limiter so easy.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
0095 Ver5 STi Type R
Black

Quote:
With the e's redline was no problem I even bumped it up to 8k because it kept hitting the limiter so easy.
What setup are u running with what model year?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
mod maniac
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2&4 fxt & fxt sti
Fullers Garage

That one was a 2002 2.1 stroker. It had a elh, head porting, kelford 199-e,blouch 2.5 xtr, on meth and all the other supporting mods.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:28 AM   #9
WelDun1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
0095 Ver5 STi Type R
Black

Quote:
That one was a 2002 2.1 stroker. It had a elh, head porting, kelford 199-e,blouch 2.5 xtr, on meth and all the other supporting mods.
Sounds like a Nice setup. What was it putting down? I almost went with the Blouch 1.5xt-r or the polka pickle over the gtx, but the gtx is just far superior. I can't wait to see what kind of #'s I get out of this build. This is the first time I've done everything right the first time. Atleast tried. Instead of just mix match any part that I find cheap. I'm not pinching pennies on this one. I plan on keeping this RA
Old 08-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
mod maniac
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2&4 fxt & fxt sti
Fullers Garage

Im not sure what it put down, never hit a dyno!