Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 12, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
mr t
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 164226
Default 04 STI Input Shaft Seal Leak

OK so I am hoping someone here might have a idea on this one .

Heres the story .

2004 STI Engine was out for 3 years or so awaiting the new engine .
Tranny was still in the car at this point . was stored outdoors for awhile with no hood so tranny did get wet in the bell housing area from rain .
Once new engine was finally installed and driven for sometime it was found that the tranny input shaft seal was leaking . Tranny was pulled seal was replaced and tranny reinstalled .

Car was driven short period of time and the leak was still there .
Tranny was pulled once again and carefully examined . No cracks were seen in the case and the seal was removed . it was found that the seal twisted when installed and may have caused the leak .
New seal was installed again . Tranny reinstalled . Car was driven easily and no leaks apeared for say 1000 miles or so then once the car was driven hard the leak is back and is bad .

I am at a loss as to what it could be at this point .
Anyone have any insight on this ? This ones got me at this point ?
I thought maybe there was to much pressure in the tranny so we vented the fill port just to try but still leaks .
Another note on this is that one of the ABS sensors was unplugged at first and was causing DCCD errors and I think the Diff was locked most of this time by default .
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
mr t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
AndrewtechAutomotive
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 99694
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2002 dogbox,'11 wrx

We had a guy we built a shipped unit for complain about the same.....we replaced the seal for him and it leaked again. We asked him to drive the car to us so we could look at it(the car) and there was gear oil coming from the bell housing. We pulled the unit only to find the shop that did his clutch left out the pilot bearing. Install a pilot bearing and it stopped leaking. I know it's not an easy job to ck this, but wonder if you've got the same problem.......

Andrew
AndrewtechAutomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
mr t
Scooby Newbie

Its not really a big job its about an Hour and a half at most for me to pull it out which I have to do anyway at this point . Im am not 100% sure the bearing is in there or not seeing that my friend ( his car ) put the clutch on .
So maybe its not there but we did use the alinment tool to install the clutch and im not sure it would work if there was no bearing in there ? I dont know maybe it would center off of the crank ?
Old 11-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
AndrewtechAutomotive
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
2002 dogbox,'11 wrx

Could be??? I guess your right, its gotta come out anyway....worth the look. I could see the seal getting rolled...but twice?

Andrew
Old 11-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
mr t
Scooby Newbie

I would agree I dont think it could have got rolled twice we were real careful the second time around . I think it might be the bearing as well I spoke to the owner and he is not sure he put the bearing in or not ? Im going to order up a new bearing and seal just because and pull it out and see what we find .
Old 11-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
AndrewtechAutomotive
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
2002 dogbox,'11 wrx

Any updates?

Andrew
Old 11-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
mr t
Scooby Newbie

Yes we pulled the trans on friday to find there was no bearing in place . We installed the bearing and then did some hard runs , drifting , donuts , etc snapped one rear axle doing so ...... LOL .... But all is good now NO LEAKS ... Thanks for the tip on that one !
Old 11-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
AndrewtechAutomotive
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
2002 dogbox,'11 wrx

Now that is just the coolest. Glad it helped.

Andrew
Old 04-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
joe r
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53412
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2003 Outback
Black and Gold.

What is the part number for this seal?

joe r
joe r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
Awrs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 365242
Chapter/Region: MWSOC

Bringing back from the dead so this can help people out in the future for the part number

Subaru sti 6speed trans input shaft seal

Subaru part number 806728080

The seal has number "AH1563F" stamped on it, this is not the part number. This is just a number stamped on it for reference to make sure that seal is oem.

Hopes this help someone out in the future cause I had a hell of a time searching for this part number before I just went to Subaru and sat down with the parts department and went over what I needed.
Awrs is offline   Reply With Quote