Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club Forum sponsored by Annapolis Subaru
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #51
thatsilver2.5rs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 142268
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2004 WRX - Aspen
not really white.

Default

If you feel like you'll be in the "shoulda-coulda-woulda boat" when it comes to owning an AR (like I was) I'd say go for it. Worst that'll happen if you decide not to build it is you'll sit on it and be out a bit of money.

The super blackhawk is a badass gun, the father of a friend of mine growing up had a super redhawk and it was gnarly.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
thatsilver2.5rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #52
Louie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2014 Audi a6
Daytona Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsilver2.5rs View Post
If you feel like you'll be in the "shoulda-coulda-woulda boat" when it comes to owning an AR (like I was) I'd say go for it. Worst that'll happen if you decide not to build it is you'll sit on it and be out a bit of money. The super blackhawk is a badass gun, the father of a friend of mine growing up had a super redhawk and it was gnarly.
Yeah, the local store has some stripped lowers... Worse case scenario is ill but an hbar and replace the upper. I want a colt SAA but...this is the next best think for undr 1k
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #53
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 Why don't you
just GFY?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie View Post
Yeah, the local store has some stripped lowers... Worse case scenario is ill but an hbar and replace the upper. I want a colt SAA but...this is the next best think for undr 1k
There's some questions about the legality of that even now before SB281 goes into effect. A true HBAR like the Colt Sporter is allegedly an unregulated rifle; assembling it with a non-HBAR upper makes it a regulated firearm so there's grey areas on how legal that is and whether or not it needs to be registered in that case.

In the end I bought the stripped lower to assemble into a post 10/1 illegal configuration, as it SHOULD be grandfathered in. The only question is whether or not I should go through setting up a trust to try and SBR the AR when I assemble it. Technically, it should be allowed since I owned it prior to 10/1, but who knows. This law is impossible to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsilver2.5rs View Post
Same here - filled out the paperwork for a stripped lower yesterday at a local shop. Pretty much going to sit on it and slowly build it when deals come about and I feel like it

Oh, also did the same for a S&W M&P9, going to hopefully be receiving my first handgun at the end of next week without the neutered magazine capacities! Should keep me satisfied while I build the lower I reckon.
Midway had M&P9 17rd magazines in stock for quite some time at normal ($33) prices. I grabbed four even though I don't have an M&P9.




I bought a StormLake conversion barrel for my M&P40, so now I has two guns in one!
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #54
csullivan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 111653
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STi
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Picking mine up on Saturday, along with a new M&P22. Did you get the matching upper with the engraved ejection port cover?
I know what some of those words meant.
csullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #55
marcmtb35
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 171151
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Gold's Gym Glen Burnie
Vehicle:
2013 C'dale Scalpel
White + dirt

Default

I just bought a Ruger LC9 today from Clyde's Sport Shop in Halethorpe. I get to pick it up next Saturday.
marcmtb35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #56
lilblue619
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 288292
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: arbutus md
Vehicle:
2004 sti
wrb. the blue one.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmtb35 View Post
I just bought a Ruger LC9 today from Clyde's Sport Shop in Halethorpe. I get to pick it up next Saturday.
I like going to Clyde's. He always has something good.
lilblue619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #57
marcmtb35
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 171151
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Gold's Gym Glen Burnie
Vehicle:
2013 C'dale Scalpel
White + dirt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilblue619 View Post
I like going to Clyde's. He always has something good.
They have lots of everything BUT handguns. They had about 6. I wanted that Ruger though, so it's all good.
marcmtb35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #58
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 Why don't you
just GFY?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csullivan View Post
I know what some of those words meant.
Engage has their own billet upper receiver (goes on-top of the lower receiver you purchased, houses the bolt control group, and is also what the barrel is affixed to). They also have an engraved ejection port door (little cover that flips down where the spent shell cases get ejected from) with their logo and name that's nifty. Mainly being a because I have the matching upper w/ cover for my lower receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmtb35 View Post
I just bought a Ruger LC9 today from Clyde's Sport Shop in Halethorpe. I get to pick it up next Saturday.
Guy I was talking to at a party last night said he just gone as well. Hadn't shot it yet, but said it sure was purdy to look at.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #59
Louie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2014 Audi a6
Daytona Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
There's some questions about the legality of that even now before SB281 goes into effect. A true HBAR like the Colt Sporter is allegedly an unregulated rifle; assembling it with a non-HBAR upper makes it a regulated firearm so there's grey areas on how legal that is and whether or not it needs to be registered in that case. In the end I bought the stripped lower to assemble into a post 10/1 illegal configuration, as it SHOULD be grandfathered in. The only question is whether or not I should go through setting up a trust to try and SBR the AR when I assemble it. Technically, it should be allowed since I owned it prior to 10/1, but who knows. This law is impossible to understand. Midway had M&P9 17rd magazines in stock for quite some time at normal ($33) prices. I grabbed four even though I don't have an M&P9. I bought a StormLake conversion barrel for my M&P40, so now I has two guns in one!
I agree...we won't know until 10/1.

I've spoke to an atty that has been working with MSI. He says as long as msp doesn't find a mismatched upper and lower in my possession then I'm good. So just make sure you store the extra parts separate from the hbar.

The sbr idea was a good one.. I decided to stay low on the radar and buy a c&c iwi tavor and called it a day.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:23 AM   #60
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 Why don't you
just GFY?

Default

80% lowers are better for staying off the radar. ;-)
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #61
Louie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2014 Audi a6
Daytona Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
80% lowers are better for staying off the radar. ;-)
Until you get caught with a rifle that isn't an hbar and isn't registered. A misdemeanor traffic stop or a fender bender turned into a firearms violation. I know they are both relatively unlikely....but but being a small blip ain't bad and gustapo approved
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #62
AllAWD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17079
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Alexandria, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie View Post
Until you get caught with a rifle that isn't an hbar and isn't registered. A misdemeanor traffic stop or a fender bender turned into a firearms violation. I know they are both relatively unlikely....but but being a small blip ain't bad and gustapo approved
Huh? Is that another MD law?

HBAR as in heavy barrel?

Totally confused by this. I don't do states with gun registration.
AllAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #63
Louie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2014 Audi a6
Daytona Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAWD View Post
Huh? Is that another MD law? HBAR as in heavy barrel? Totally confused by this. I don't do states with gun registration.
Yes hbar=heavy barrel.

So say the ar-15 has both the standard and hbar. The standard is a regulated weapon and is the owned as a registered weapon to the owner... That person cannot sell it without it being registered to another person vs a cash and carry weapon that I could sell to you without an ffl.

I don't know what other states do for handguns and regulated type weapons (or if they do this)

Maryland sucks
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #64
AllAWD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17079
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Alexandria, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie View Post
Yes hbar=heavy barrel.

So say the ar-15 has both the standard and hbar. The standard is a regulated weapon and is the owned as a registered weapon to the owner... That person cannot sell it without it being registered to another person vs a cash and carry weapon that I could sell to you without an ffl.

I don't know what other states do for handguns and regulated type weapons (or if they do this)

Maryland sucks
Wow, I just won't try to understand that.

VA doesn't have regulated weapons other than those regulated by NFA(SBR, SBS, AOW, full auto, supressed). Private sales are still private here.
AllAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #65
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 Why don't you
just GFY?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie View Post
Until you get caught with a rifle that isn't an hbar and isn't registered. A misdemeanor traffic stop or a fender bender turned into a firearms violation. I know they are both relatively unlikely....but but being a small blip ain't bad and gustapo approved
A self-manufactured firearm does not need to be registered or even serialized (unless you want to sell/transfer it a later date). A self-manufactured firearm manufactured before 10/1 is grandfathered in. That is my understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAWD View Post
Huh? Is that another MD law?

HBAR as in heavy barrel?

Totally confused by this. I don't do states with gun registration.
Colt AR Sporter (true HBAR) is cash and carry, as are most other HBAR rifles. Post 10/1, it is not legal to purchase a new AR UNLESS it is HBAR.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #66
VXSS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 115345
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo/FredCo
Vehicle:
'15 STi LTD
ISM

Default

I managed my Bushmaster AR as a cash and carry because of the HBAR. In Md at that. Talk about pleasantly surprised. Of course, this was maybe 4 years ago.

The clock is ticking on MD though. I was SOOO tempted to jump on the Engage receiver but I just couldn't bring myself to committing to another firearm purchase. Their sales have been amazing these past couple of weeks. *sigh*
VXSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #67
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 Why don't you
just GFY?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VXSS View Post
Their sales have been amazing these past couple of weeks. *sigh*
A month ago their pistol display was full and their wasn't a spot on the wall without a rifle. As of Saturday they had 2-3 Remington R1 1911 pistols and a couple carry-style revolvers in the display cases. The walls are looking pretty bare with only a handful of rifles on the wall. They've been completely cleaned out!
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #68
SneakySh0rty
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 280516
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lake Shore, MD
Vehicle:
03 WRX v9 trans
WRB

Default

I see a lot of confusion about what is going to happen on/after Oct 1st. 2 things are happening. the HQL for HANDGUNS and the updated list of banned guns. Really do read through the MD shooters forum on these topics to get a better handle on things.

*removed info*

Last edited by SneakySh0rty; 03-01-2014 at 10:05 AM. Reason: "boating accident"
SneakySh0rty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #69
AllAWD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17079
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Alexandria, VA
Default

You MD guys are depressing. Come to VA, get residency and vote in the Gov race before McAuliffe turns us into MD

Last edited by AllAWD; 09-24-2013 at 04:02 PM.
AllAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #70
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 Why don't you
just GFY?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAWD View Post
You MD guys are depressing. Come to VA, get residency and vote in the Gov race before McAuliffe turns us into MD
Find me a job and I will!
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #71
AllAWD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17079
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Alexandria, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Find me a job and I will!
Sure, I'll get on that.

Sent from office deep in MD
AllAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #72
Louie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2014 Audi a6
Daytona Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySh0rty View Post
I see a lot of confusion about what is going to happen on/after Oct 1st. 2 things are happening. the HQL for HANDGUNS and the updated list of banned guns. Really do read through the MD shooters forum on these topics to get a better handle on things. I also picked up a S&W M&P40 and 2 ar15 lowers. Id like to SBR both lowers, but just dont have the money. unless you guys buy my car parts! My dad decided to out do me, and get 3 ar15 lowers and a mossberg 500 12ga.
I spent some time looking at the articles and I was wrong. Thanks for the info

Last edited by Louie; 09-25-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #73
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 Why don't you
just GFY?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAWD View Post
Sure, I'll get on that.

Sent from office deep in MD
And you can find me a nice place near Arlington yeah? I'm tryna go all up and down Clarendon, yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie View Post
I spent some time looking at the articles and I was wrong. Thanks for the info
MDSP issued a press release last night that they will not enforce the HQL requirement for applications pending on Oct 1, which makes a TON of sense (since that becomes an ex post facto law for applications made under the old law), BUT goes directly against the AAG opinion from earlier in the summer.

https://www.mdsp.org/News/PressRelea...4/Default.aspx
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #74
AllAWD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17079
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Alexandria, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
And you can find me a nice place near Arlington yeah? I'm tryna go all up and down Clarendon, yo!



MDSP issued a press release last night that they will not enforce the HQL requirement for applications pending on Oct 1, which makes a TON of sense (since that becomes an ex post facto law for applications made under the old law), BUT goes directly against the AAG opinion from earlier in the summer.

https://www.mdsp.org/News/PressRelea...4/Default.aspx
I bet FightingFalcon would let you move in with him in Crystal City.
AllAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #75
ErasureWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 106408
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Tysons
Vehicle:
'14 Mystery Machine
01 Kat600

Default

ErasureWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.