Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #101
Rowrx11
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338312
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyG3nx View Post

No lag on my aem cai. It helped get rid of throttle lag and is way more responsive.
The same with my aem cai...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Rowrx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #102
atlfire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192097
Join Date: Oct 2008
Default

I can't believe I just read most of these threads... Has anything been accomplished here? Here's what you kids need to understand...

Sigh...

... I don't give two mother @&$)'s what any of your opinions are... You've raped the balls out of this thread. I bought a sf spt intake because I like the the way a turbo sounds. I bought a tbe used because stage 2 said I had to. People do things for their own reasons. No one is an "idiot" for doing anything if they use their money. It's their F$c@&ng money!! Short ram vs cold air vs these salty balls! Nobody cares if they want what they want. The arguers of ideologies (those are the big word for opinions, dumby) resemble my morning deuce. Somebody delete this bull ***** of a thread!
atlfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:38 AM   #103
ride5000
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32792
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: lincoln, ri
Vehicle:
2003 GGA MBP
12.9 / 105+

Default


Last edited by ride5000; 09-13-2013 at 05:41 AM. Reason: dupe post
ride5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:39 AM   #104
ride5000
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32792
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: lincoln, ri
Vehicle:
2003 GGA MBP
12.9 / 105+

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlfire View Post
I can't believe I just read most of these threads... Has anything been accomplished here? Here's what you kids need to understand...

Sigh...

... I don't give two mother @&$)'s what any of your opinions are... You've raped the balls out of this thread. I bought a sf spt intake because I like the the way a turbo sounds. I bought a tbe used because stage 2 said I had to. People do things for their own reasons. No one is an "idiot" for doing anything if they use their money. It's their F$c@&ng money!! Short ram vs cold air vs these salty balls! Nobody cares if they want what they want. The arguers of ideologies (those are the big word for opinions, dumby) resemble my morning deuce. Somebody delete this bull ***** of a thread!
Thanks for sharing your "ideology."
ride5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #105
danger1138
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 279525
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: QUEENS NY
Vehicle:
04 rex luger!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlfire View Post
I can't believe I just read most of these threads... Has anything been accomplished here? Here's what you kids need to understand...

Sigh...

... I don't give two mother @&$)'s what any of your opinions are... You've raped the balls out of this thread. I bought a sf spt intake because I like the the way a turbo sounds. I bought a tbe used because stage 2 said I had to. People do things for their own reasons. No one is an "idiot" for doing anything if they use their money. It's their F$c@&ng money!! Short ram vs cold air vs these salty balls! Nobody cares if they want what they want. The arguers of ideologies (those are the big word for opinions, dumby) resemble my morning deuce. Somebody delete this bull ***** of a thread!
^^look who has there panties in a bunch, anyways no lag hear as well with my injen CAI..
danger1138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #106
02rex11
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 282478
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: CO
Vehicle:
02 PSM WRX VF34
MAC Tuned 307hp 301tq

Default

If you are going to buy an intake, buy the cobb sf w/box.. The cobb intake is engineered specifically for our cars. I' am not going to say you will gain power but at least it won't mess with a/f ratio's. It sounds great and runs just like the stock with a little more throttle response. Either leave it stock or cobb imo
02rex11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #107
FCmaniac
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 142029
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Vehicle:
2013 Forester
2004 STi, 1991 Miata BRG

Default

^^ The Cobb intake sucks. It's tied with the SPT for highest intake temps which REDUCES performance.
FCmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #108
02rex11
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 282478
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: CO
Vehicle:
02 PSM WRX VF34
MAC Tuned 307hp 301tq

Default

I didn't notice much of a difference in intake temps with stock vs cobb. I have seen logs that show a small difference in temps when using the cobb box. It did not hurt performance at all with the cold air box and cobb stg 2 flash on my car. My point with the intake is if you want the bpv to be louder, cobb ftw. SPT has been known to cause CEL's for lean conditions as well as most other intakes. My 02
02rex11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #109
the suicidal eggroll
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 51961
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rex11 View Post
If you are going to buy an intake, buy the cobb sf w/box.. The cobb intake is engineered specifically for our cars. I' am not going to say you will gain power but at least it won't mess with a/f ratio's. It sounds great and runs just like the stock with a little more throttle response. Either leave it stock or cobb imo
You should qualify this statement with the MODEL of the car you're referring to. What you've said here is absolutely incorrect for the 08+ WRX and STi, in fact the Cobb SRI has one of the LARGEST AFR effects of all of the aftermarket intakes (upwards of 30% lean at WOT). Driving without a tune on the Cobb SRI on the 08+ models will blow the engine very quickly.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #110
the suicidal eggroll
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 51961
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by northman View Post
So where is this evidence? That is what I asked several posts up.
I already told you in my previous post. You can also just spend some time on the forums and read the posts made by tuners in regards to intakes. Most of them recommend staying with the stock one because it is more consistent, cheaper (free), and gives basically the same power. Or you can listen to the ridiculous number of people who have installed aftermarket intakes with the accompanying tune and felt absolutely nothing. You can count myself in that group.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:57 PM   #111
02rex11
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 282478
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: CO
Vehicle:
02 PSM WRX VF34
MAC Tuned 307hp 301tq

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the suicidal eggroll View Post
You should qualify this statement with the MODEL of the car you're referring to. What you've said here is absolutely incorrect for the 08+ WRX and STi, in fact the Cobb SRI has one of the LARGEST AFR effects of all of the aftermarket intakes (upwards of 30% lean at WOT). Driving without a tune on the Cobb SRI on the 08+ models will blow the engine very quickly.
You are right about that, I was referring to pre 08 models.. Really you should tune regardless of what companies claim even on the older models
02rex11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #112
danger1138
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 279525
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: QUEENS NY
Vehicle:
04 rex luger!

Default

I would still sway more towards the SPT intake side over the cobb side any day of the week. After all spt is made by subaru. Nothing against cobb.
danger1138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #113
the suicidal eggroll
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 51961
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger1138 View Post
I would still sway more towards the SPT intake side over the cobb side any day of the week. After all spt is made by subaru. Nothing against cobb.
There is no SPT intake for the 08+ models.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #114
Razgeiz
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 358782
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Vehicle:
2013 STi
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the suicidal eggroll View Post

There is no SPT intake for the 08+ models.
Besides they produce no gains
Razgeiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #115
02rex11
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 282478
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: CO
Vehicle:
02 PSM WRX VF34
MAC Tuned 307hp 301tq

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger1138 View Post
I would still sway more towards the SPT intake side over the cobb side any day of the week. After all spt is made by subaru. Nothing against cobb.
If we are talking older models 02-07, I would recommend no spt regardless of subaru making it. I have seen two people run these and get CEL's for lean conditions. I have been running the cobb for a year and a half now with no issues and same with the two people i was referring to. According to my AP the cobb if anything runs safely rich at WOT, but i think that is more the tune than the intake..
02rex11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #116
atomicfire
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 136296
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Midtown, Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2005 STi
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger1138 View Post
I would still sway more towards the SPT intake side over the cobb side any day of the week. After all spt is made by subaru. Nothing against cobb.
SPT intake is not made by Subaru. It's made by an aftermarket company sold wholesale to Subaru and relabeled. Probably the only benefit that you get with using it is the ability to retain your factory warranty. Other than that, I really wouldn't call it a high-quality piece by any means.

The early Cobb ones were no better. They used a glued-in airflow straightener that used to come loose. Cobb has worked with customers to get it replaced if it happens, but irregardless it really isn't that much better.
atomicfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #117
northman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 163631
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
07 Forester XT
Dom 1.5XT-R

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the suicidal eggroll View Post
I already told you in my previous post. You can also just spend some time on the forums and read the posts made by tuners in regards to intakes. Most of them recommend staying with the stock one because it is more consistent, cheaper (free), and gives basically the same power. Or you can listen to the ridiculous number of people who have installed aftermarket intakes with the accompanying tune and felt absolutely nothing. You can count myself in that group.
Your argument is still to listen to internet hearsay. You claim to have installed an intake and seen no gains, do you have before and after tunes that show this? Going by butt-dyno results to say the gains are minimal is no more valid than the guy that goes by butt-dyno and claims 20 whp.
northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #118
Ray-Ray03
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 365695
Join Date: Aug 2013
Default

Okay, I'm the one who started this post. After reading all of your opinions and experiences I decided to go with an AEM cold air intake. I was able to get it at a great price, used. The entire intake is in great condition. I decided to see for myself. There is too much opinions on the matter to find what advice is more helpful. I'm going to dyno before the install then run a dunk with the intake and tune. That's the best way for me to find out what works best for my car. I appreciate all the advice.
Ray-Ray03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #119
Andrewxxcarlson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316415
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-Ray03 View Post
Okay, I'm the one who started this post. After reading all of your opinions and experiences I decided to go with an AEM cold air intake. I was able to get it at a great price, used. The entire intake is in great condition. I decided to see for myself. There is too much opinions on the matter to find what advice is more helpful. I'm going to dyno before the install then run a dunk with the intake and tune. That's the best way for me to find out what works best for my car. I appreciate all the advice.
A lot of money for an intake comparison. Shoot some my way, PM for Paypal info. Thanks.
Andrewxxcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #120
Ray-Ray03
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 365695
Join Date: Aug 2013
Default

I don't see it as spending money for a comparison. I'm sticking with it. There is a reason AEM has the reputation it does.
Ray-Ray03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #121
Rowrx11
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338312
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-Ray03 View Post
Okay, I'm the one who started this post. After reading all of your opinions and experiences I decided to go with an AEM cold air intake. I was able to get it at a great price, used. The entire intake is in great condition. I decided to see for myself. There is too much opinions on the matter to find what advice is more helpful. I'm going to dyno before the install then run a dunk with the intake and tune. That's the best way for me to find out what works best for my car. I appreciate all the advice.
Good bro ! Aem is the way to go.
Rowrx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #122
Razgeiz
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 358782
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Vehicle:
2013 STi
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-Ray03 View Post
I don't see it as spending money for a comparison. I'm sticking with it. There is a reason AEM has the reputation it does.
Like I said earlier AEM is what I run and like you have seen quality is top notch and there are gains to be had once properly tuned. Getting it used would if been smarter for me tho
Razgeiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #123
the suicidal eggroll
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 51961
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by northman View Post
Your argument is still to listen to internet hearsay. You claim to have installed an intake and seen no gains, do you have before and after tunes that show this? Going by butt-dyno results to say the gains are minimal is no more valid than the guy that goes by butt-dyno and claims 20 whp.
Lol, if looking at before/after dyno plots on Cobb's own site of their own intake that show little to no to negative gains, talking to tuners who recommend staying with the stock intake because they don't see gains with aftermarket units, listening to countless people who have installed an intake, tuned for it, and felt nothing, and buying an intake myself and feeling nothing is "listening to internet hearsay", then yes.

You, sir, are in denial.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #124
Eyedeas
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 359202
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Vehicle:
2013 E85 WRX
Tangerine Orange Pearl

Default

You're going to see gains if you put an intake on and tune it. Because it's getting a tune...
Eyedeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #125
SlimJim8804
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 241943
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NNJ
Vehicle:
2065 Magic Carpet
Swirl Rally Bleu

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedeas View Post
You're going to see gains if you put an intake on and tune it. Because it's getting a tune...
this^
SlimJim8804 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.