Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
09wrbrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350382
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
WRB

Default Hill assist, traction control, abs lights, no codes?

So twice in the last week my 09 wrx stage 2 has thrown on my abs, hill assist, and traction control lights. They go off once I restart the car but then come back and when I plug In my accessport no codes show up. So I've done some research and many threads say it could be the brake light sensor, but they also had three codes pop up and I have no codes. So could just adjusting my brake light sensor fix it or could it be something else? Thanks in advance!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
09wrbrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default

Utilize your warranty?
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
09wrbrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350382
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
WRB

Default

I'm well past the bumper to bumper warranty and i like to avoid the hassle if the dealership as much as possible. Especially if it's just a cheap sensor
09wrbrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
sk8eroyaker
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328067
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX
SWP

Default

2008 wrx here. I've had the same thing happen to me two or three times. All the lights come on but no codes stored in the ECU. I've also read that it could be a faulty brake light sensor. Has anyone sucessfully fixed this problem?
sk8eroyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
09wrbrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350382
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8eroyaker View Post
2008 wrx here. I've had the same thing happen to me two or three times. All the lights come on but no codes stored in the ECU. I've also read that it could be a faulty brake light sensor. Has anyone sucessfully fixed this problem?
Yea all the threads I've read where people replaced the brake light sensor, said they had codes in the ECU which we don't so I'm hoping someone can help us out lol
09wrbrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
art@grimmspeed
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 301037
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09wrbrex View Post
I'm well past the bumper to bumper warranty and i like to avoid the hassle if the dealership as much as possible. Especially if it's just a cheap sensor
Chances are the darn dealership would say "I bet it is something wrong in the ecu adjustments that tuner you put on it did"
art@grimmspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
09wrbrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350382
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
WRB

Default

^^^ Yea after they charge me $100 to maybe find the problem lol I guess I'll just try adjusting the brake light sensor and see if that helps
09wrbrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
Gallo2011
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 268310
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Kali
Vehicle:
2011 SSM STI saloon
Church!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris@grimmspeed View Post
Chances are the darn dealership would say "I bet it is something wrong in the ecu adjustments that tuner you put on it did"
" That tune you put on retarded the brake bias too much and wore your rear brakes out. You're gonna need new pads and rotors."

Did I get that right?
Gallo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
wadowrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 343621
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: NW Indiana
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX
Dark Metallic Gray

Default

I had this happent he other day after I installed my Cobb DP, I think I bumped the main connector attaching clip on the passenger side above and right of the turbo. I could be wrong but it was fine up until then, shut the car off, moved the connector down about 1/8" and then it was fine. I have under 18k onmy car fyi.
wadowrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #10
ryansx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324527
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Memphis TN
Vehicle:
2013 wrx
white

Default

Your AP can't pull the codes. Abs codes are stored in ebcm not PCM. You have to find a scanner that will pull them(couple hundred $$ or more) or got to a shop/dealer to pull($100ish). Throwing parts at it will end up wasting money. If you really suspect it's your brake switch, when it acts up find a reflective surface you can back up to and see if brake lights work or if they come on by themselves without touching pedal. Note:that may or may not give you answer.
ryansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
09wrbrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 350382
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansx View Post
Your AP can't pull the codes. Abs codes are stored in ebcm not PCM. You have to find a scanner that will pull them(couple hundred $$ or more) or got to a shop/dealer to pull($100ish). Throwing parts at it will end up wasting money. If you really suspect it's your brake switch, when it acts up find a reflective surface you can back up to and see if brake lights work or if they come on by themselves without touching pedal. Note:that may or may not give you answer.
Oh I didn't know that, that sucks lol but yea my brake lights come on after pressing down the pedal pretty far so ill adjust the sensor anyways. I would really hate to spend the money at a dealer if it is just this $15 sensor so ill find out soon enough
09wrbrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
mistreater
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 332710
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: terra firma
Vehicle:
09 wrx
dgm

Default

Had this on mine 2 months after buying it. No codes etc. Replaced BLS, fixed it.
Also set it so the brakes actually come on when I pressured the pedal.
mistreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
mosnowbro
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 362312
Join Date: Jul 2013
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Sacromento, Ca
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza WRX
WR Blue Pearl

Default

I had the same thing a month ago on my 2013 wrx stock tune. Restart and haven't seen it since
mosnowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
mikereiser
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 291941
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lake hopatcong, nj
Vehicle:
2010 Wrx sedan
Silver

Default

Hope this helps, originally posted by eric at torqued performance. Worked great in my 2010 wrx (i believe this is good for 08+)


Reading DTC's with the Combination Meter. It can also display ABS/VDC codes.

I got this from a customer and figured I'd share. No scan tool required and you can even read codes having to do with the VDC system(steering angle sensor,yaw sensor, wheel speed sensor, etc)

DTC DISPLAY MODE It is possible to display the DTC of the combination meter through the following procedures.
1) Within 3 seconds after turning the ignition switch to ON. set the lighting switch to tail light or headlight pos ition.
2) Press the odo/trip meter knob four times
. 3) Turn the lighting switch to OFF, and press the odo/trip meter knob four times.
4) Set the lighting switch to tail light or headlight position again, and press the odo/trip meter knob four times.
NOTE: Perform the steps described in 2) and 4) within 10 seconds.

When the engine starts during diagnosis, the self-diagnosis function is not cancelled, however, once turning the ignition switch to OFF or the vehicle starts driving, DTC display mode is cancelled automatically for safety.
When the DTC display mode operates, {ECM}, (TCM}, {ABS/VDC} is displayed cyclically in this order for every three seconds or every press of the trip knob. DTC is displayed in the following table according to type of control module, receiving DTC, DTC detected, No DTC. When the DTCs of individual control modules change from current malfunctions to past malfunctions, and the trouble is cleared, when the engine is started three or more times, the DTC will no longer be displayed in the combination meter.

Trip A displays codes for the ECM with PXXXX and the ABS/VDC system with CXXXX Trip B displays codes for the TCM with PXXXX. This only applies to automatic cars.
mikereiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:12 AM   #15
dannyngnX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303207
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, Tx
Vehicle:
2012 Wrx
Pearl freakin white

Default

In for this thread.

happened to me twice since i owned my wrx, scared the $hit out of me every time it happens.

i thought it was something to due to my axcessport tune.

but just turn the car off and everything is back to normal. or is it? any ideas whats going on?
dannyngnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #16
ryansx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324527
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Memphis TN
Vehicle:
2013 wrx
white

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereiser View Post
Hope this helps, originally posted by eric at torqued performance. Worked great in my 2010 wrx (i believe this is good for 08+)

Reading DTC's with the Combination Meter. It can also display ABS/VDC codes.

I got this from a customer and figured I'd share. No scan tool required and you can even read codes having to do with the VDC system(steering angle sensor,yaw sensor, wheel speed sensor, etc)

DTC DISPLAY MODE It is possible to display the DTC of the combination meter through the following procedures.
1) Within 3 seconds after turning the ignition switch to ON. set the lighting switch to tail light or headlight pos ition.
2) Press the odo/trip meter knob four times
. 3) Turn the lighting switch to OFF, and press the odo/trip meter knob four times.
4) Set the lighting switch to tail light or headlight position again, and press the odo/trip meter knob four times.
NOTE: Perform the steps described in 2) and 4) within 10 seconds.
If this works that would be awesome
ryansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #17
masterforce
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 221580
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STI
Satin White Pearl

Default

Maybe your wheel sensors need to be cleaned or they are broken?
masterforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.