Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 10, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Does anyone have a how-to for removing the stock roof rails on a '12 Impreza sport? I personally have no use for the rails and would like to remove and possibly sell them. Also hoping to get slightly better mpgs with them off. Appreciate any info.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by jr0bb5; 04-29-2012 at 04:23 PM.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
SubyDoWhreRU
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 308063
Join Date: Jan 2012
Default

I've been searching for a way to take mine off also. No luck so far.
SubyDoWhreRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubyDoWhreRU
I've been searching for a way to take mine off also. No luck so far.
Hmm... there's gotta be a way. I took a look earlier and noticed two Philips head screws under the rails near the front mounts. Can't really get to them with a normal screw driver. Maybe someone at the steakership might know. Im sure they'd charge an arm and a leg to take them off tho.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Well it appears as thought I was able to answer my own question. According to the 2012 impreza service repair manual that I purchased today, all of the interior roof trim and roof liner must be removed. After removing everything, there are a total of twelve nuts (six on each side) along the lenth of the rails that need removing. Its also worth noting that you'll need to purchase two new replacement outer roof moldings.

I'm going to contact my dealership and see what they quote me for a price for removal and for new outer trim pieces.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

man they are going to charge you an arm and a leg and to counter that cost you either have to sell the racks for an arm and a leg or you have to save massive amounts of gas.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
tomwi53092
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316315
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Mequon, WI
Vehicle:
2012 Imp HB/Prem/CVT
DCP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Noobie View Post
I'm going to contact my dealership and see what they quote me for a price for removal and for new outer trim pieces.
Noobie, unless they're causing a problem, consider spending that money on options instead, something that would give you some real enjoyment, maybe a speaker upgrade or something.
tomwi53092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Xarthan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 312318
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Oregon
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
ISM

Default

Dang that's alot of work and trouble to get off the rails, might have been easier to get the Non-Sport Limited.
Xarthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthan
Dang that's alot of work and trouble to get off the rails, might have been easier to get the Non-Sport Limited.
Tell me about it! As much as id like to remove them, ill probably just end up keeping them on. I honestly figured it would of been a much simpler task.

Last edited by jr0bb5; 04-30-2012 at 08:03 PM.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Just a quick update for anyone interested.

Someone from my dealership got back to me today and confirmed that all the interior roof trim would need to be removed in order to access the 12 rail bolts. He also noted that the 12 bolt holes would have to be welded shut to prevent water intrusion and the area would have to be painted.

Looks like Subaru really wanted to prevent a lawsuit by making sure these babies never accidently fall off.

Last edited by jr0bb5; 05-02-2012 at 11:23 AM.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
PAO56
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 304676
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Ltd 5DR
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default

know its too late now for you..but the Limited HB..non sport does have four latch points in the roof to add a rack......covered now with a black insert that is removable to expose the latch points.......for those that want to be able to complete remove a rack witih ease.....
PAO56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #11
philbobz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 329189
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Default

WTB Roof RAIL, email me
etiennespu@hotmail.com
philbobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
danstheman7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331089
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bellmore NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Base
DGM/Dark Grey Metallic

Smile interested

***edit: not interested in buying anymore. trading my current moldings for a rack. CHYEAH!

Last edited by danstheman7; 09-07-2012 at 01:56 AM. Reason: tradin~
danstheman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
italia490
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 308742
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
Does anyone have a how-to for removing the stock roof rails on a '12 Impreza sport? I personally have no use for the rails and would like to remove and possibly sell them. Also hoping to get slightly better mpgs with them off. Appreciate any info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
Well it appears as thought I was able to answer my own question. According to the 2012 impreza service repair manual that I purchased today, all of the interior roof trim and roof liner must be removed. After removing everything, there are a total of twelve nuts (six on each side) along the lenth of the rails that need removing. Its also worth noting that you'll need to purchase two new replacement outer roof moldings.

I'm going to contact my dealership and see what they quote me for a price for removal and for new outer trim pieces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
Just a quick update for anyone interested.

Someone from my dealership got back to me today and confirmed that all the interior roof trim would need to be removed in order to access the 12 rail bolts. He also noted that the 12 bolt holes would have to be welded shut to prevent water intrusion and the area would have to be painted.

Looks like Subaru really wanted to prevent a lawsuit by making sure these babies never accidently fall off.
Here is a how to on removing the roof rails on the sport models. You will need the following tools: A phillips screw driver, a small flat head screw driver, 14mm socket and a 10mm socket and 10mm open end wrench. I have removed headliners before so the process of removing the rails took me 50 minutes without completely removing the headliner. Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage you cause to your car or headliner if you attempt this process. With that being said, you can always PM if you have questions.

Remove all 4 grab handles by using the small flat head screw driver. Once you release the locking mechanism, they come out really easily. Next remove the sun visors. You'll need the phillips screw driver to remove 2 screws at the pivot point and the flat head screw driver to pry out the snap in portion. Next thing you'll want to do is pull the A pillar away from the frame. There is a latch mechanism that keeps the A pillar from flying around in the event of an accident the side curtain airbag is deployed. The A pillar comes away far enough though that you can get the headliner just past it. Next, move on to the B Pillars. Start by pulling the lower black trim, lower half, away from the top half. There is a 10mm bolt at the bottom of the upper half of the B pillar that will need to be removed. Next, pry away the trim over the top of the seat belt. This will expose the 14mm bolt that will need to be removed in over to take the top of the seat belt off. Start at the bottom of the trim and gently pull out towards the interior of the car releasing the retaining clips. Move on to the back of the car. Remove the C pillars. There is on phillips screw per side that will need to be removed. Once you have done that, then gently pry the panel away. There are 3 push type retainer clips at the back of the headliner that will also need to be removed. Use your flat head screw driver to release these and then pry them free. Please note that since I did not completely remove the headliner, there is no mention of removing the dome light and map light housings. This can be done by removing the clear plastic covers and exposing the phillips screws underneath. Once everything has been removed, it's time to pull the black rubber trim around the perimeter of the headliner allowing it to come down a bit. Another thing to note is that any excessive pressure or force on the headliner will cause it to crease.

There are a total of 6 10mm bolts on either side that will need to be removed. The threaded portion does have a bit of Loctite on them to keep them from coming loose. Once the bolts have been removed lift the rails straight up and off the car. At this point there are two more pieces of trim that will need to be removed. A piece of roof molding that sits around the middle of the roof and another piece that is at the front just behind the windshield. The middle piece slides off and there are 3 plastic clip retainers that will slide off as well. There are 3 little anchor points that the clip retainers mount to. For the front trim, the same type of mounting system is used but there is no way to slide the trim off the clips. Gently prying them up will release the trim.

The next thing you'll want to do is clean out all the debris that has accumulated underneath the rails...dirt, leaves, etc. I called my dealer aout the replacement roof trim and they want about $89 per side. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me. I am actually trading my roof rails for standard roof trim with another member. I have no need for the rails and quite frankly, IMO, I think the car looks better without them.

As far as all 12 holes needing to be welded shut, I do not think that is accurate. I don't have the replacement trim yet, but from pictures that I have seen there are at least 2 bolt holes that are re-used. My guess is that Subaru didn't take into consideration that some owners might want to remove the rails and replace them with regular trim so there is no quick and easy way of doing the swap.

I'll hopefully have the replacement trim this week so I'll have a better idea on installing the standard trim and sealing up the unused holes.
italia490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Thanks for the detailed how-to. Still trying to decide if its worth the effort and money to take mine off. I suppose I could recoupe most of the money spent on the new roof trim by selling the rails to someone here. Personally I would still like to see them gone seeing as I know I'll never use them, but I'm starting to get used to them being there.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
italia490
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 308742
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5
Thanks for the detailed how-to. Still trying to decide if its worth the effort and money to take mine off. I suppose I could recoupe most of the money spent on the new roof trim by selling the rails to someone here. Personally I would still like to see them gone seeing as I know I'll never use them, but I'm starting to get used to them being there.
Anytime I started getting used to seeing mine there too but now that there off, i think it looks so much better.
italia490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #16
endleesss
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 367572
Join Date: Sep 2013
Default

did your mpg improve after remove the rails?
endleesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #17
soobie doo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324017
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philly Burbs
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

An alternative method that may well be less expensive than having the dealership do it:

Sell your car, get a new one without the rails.

Seriously, though, I'd just leave them. Getting them removed would be a major hassle expense. If you don't get the holes welded up, you're left with a bunch of holes in your roof that may or may not leak. Is that a risk you're willing to take? If you do weld up the holes, then there's no way those rails are ever going back on your car if you ever want them again.

The rails won't measurably impact your fuel economy. I have a base model, with just the cross bars for the roof rack. They have a much bigger cross sectional area than your rails do, and I haven't noticed any change in economy. By the way, the crossbars can be fully installed and taken back off in under 10 minutes.
soobie doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobie doo View Post
An alternative method that may well be less expensive than having the dealership do it:

Sell your car, get a new one without the rails.

Seriously, though, I'd just leave them. Getting them removed would be a major hassle expense. If you don't get the holes welded up, you're left with a bunch of holes in your roof that may or may not leak. Is that a risk you're willing to take? If you do weld up the holes, then there's no way those rails are ever going back on your car if you ever want them again.

The rails won't measurably impact your fuel economy. I have a base model, with just the cross bars for the roof rack. They have a much bigger cross sectional area than your rails do, and I haven't noticed any change in economy. By the way, the crossbars can be fully installed and taken back off in under 10 minutes.
I'm not sure who would ponder on whether or not to remove the rails for over a year. I'm pretty sure he may have already decided. And your alternative method wouldn't be that financially smart as to trade in a year old car for a new model just for the rails. Well I suppose it's a 2 year old model now, since the '14 are soon arriving. Even though your response is more hypothetical and sarcastic, so is mine.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #19
soobie doo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324017
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philly Burbs
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans2k View Post
I'm not sure who would ponder on whether or not to remove the rails for over a year.
lol, just noticed that this thread is a year and a half old.
soobie doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #20
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobie doo View Post
lol, just noticed that this thread is a year and a half old.
Yea, it caught me off guard too. I saw the date and failed to read the year. I was like "oh september something, still relevant. I must have missed this", nope. to be fair though. I'm glad to see a noobie searching and bumping an old thread instead of starting a new one.

In response to "endlesss", the amount gain is pretty negligible. If you are looking to improve MPG, driving habits are the first thing to modify. Removing the rails should only be done if you absolutely hate them. But, why get the sport in the first place unless you bought a XV.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #21
Eminaga
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 370430
Join Date: Oct 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Waterloo, IA
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Marine Blue Perl

Default

it wont save u much at all in MPG maybe .5% if that. also the car looks better with it on. Some people... I just dont get.
Eminaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
('11+) '12 Impreza Sport Limited Bluetooth audio woes seaflipper Impreza Forum 33 09-21-2012 04:37 AM
I ordered a '12 impreza sport limited, how do i get best price? bradze General Community 4 04-26-2012 12:24 PM
'12 Impreza Sport Premium: Manual or CVT Dill-Ag13 Newbies & FAQs 3 04-11-2012 09:58 PM
FS: OEM 93-01 Impreza wagon/Outback Sport roof rack fellfrosch7 Private 'For Sale' Classifieds 2 10-16-2003 05:29 AM
roof rack removal stgardner Legacy Forum 0 04-18-2001 06:40 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.