Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
nevin95 LSi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 219571
Vehicle:
'02 wrx wagon 274k+
'95 SVX ebony mica

Default lightweight clutch ?? '02 wrx wagon

My '02 wagon has got just shy of 270k miles. I've had it since 227k and was told the clutch was replaced around 200k. This seems reasonable to me. The car was completely stock when I purchased it.

Since I've had it, I've gone vf24, ewg, el headers, e-tune, pinks, etc... pretty much every bolt on there is. The clutch has recently been slipping in 2nd and 3rd when it gets onto boost which hasn't surprised me, given the added torque and nearly 70k miles.

Now, from what I've read for years on here, stock clutch is the way to go unless you want problems with the 5-sp. I completely agree and always tell people that myself.

In the search of every last bit though, I'm wondering if anyone makes a lightweight or low intertia clutch with a near stock torque rating. I know this seems odd, but I've done a 14lb fw, lightweight crank pulley, and am just wondering if anyone makes a lighter version of the stock clutch. I love how the car revs now, and rev-matching is much easier, plus with the pulley and the fw, I certainly noticed more willingness to rev.

I've checked on spec, act, cm, exedy, and a few others' sites and it seems that I may be able to get an aluminum pressure plate as an option from spec, but that's about it. I'm assuming it would save maybe 2-3 lb. which in my book wouldn't be worth it.

Is exedy the manufacturer of the stock clutch?

Am I just wasting my time searching for something like this?

Thoughts, opinions welcome. Thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
nevin95 LSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
Aaron'z 2.5RS
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1026
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
'00 RS/WRX Stg5
'98 RS Stock

I've just put an Ededy stg1 (15802 or 3 i think) in my RS (much the same/more mods) and it's light as a feather and takes the power

I've got a LNIB SPEC stg2 I'd sell you cheap... it would need a fresh pilot bearing (which would be covered with "cheap"...haha) It was light as a feather as well..
Aaron'z 2.5RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Unabomber
Big Ron

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

There's no such thing as a lightweight clutch per se as you'd have to weigh them all and list them by weight then put them into a pivot table into excel based on torque holding capability to determine weight vs. torque holding to purchase. AINT gonna happen.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
nevin95 LSi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 219571
Vehicle:
'02 wrx wagon 274k+
'95 SVX ebony mica

Well, I will most likely go down to napa and just get a stock replacement. I believe what they sell for the wrx is an exedy anyways.

And like I said, it isn't a huge deal, but I thought if I could find a light-ish factory replacement I'd go for that. No biggie.

And thanks for the offer Aaron, but like I said, stage 2 is not my flavor.

All this said, the stock clutch took my down the 1320 this weekend to the tune of 13.38 and 13.40 @ 103 each time. The clutch had already been slipping, and I didn't expect it to last me the night, but it got me home!
nevin95 LSi is offline   Reply With Quote