Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday November 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > Open Source Reflashes

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
Itsawagon37
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303384
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Denver, PA
Vehicle:
04 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default Tactrix openport 2.0

so just got my openport 2.0 and reflash adaptor for my 04 wagon. I am dissapointed that it is without any user interface manual, steps to reflash or just read the ecu map etc. so im now on the hunt for other tactrix usrs. and perhaps a light mod stock reflash. ie catback and snorkus delete.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Itsawagon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
JonnyV2889
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 197384
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MWV NH
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Ltd
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsawagon37 View Post
so just got my openport 2.0 and reflash adaptor for my 04 wagon. I am dissapointed that it is without any user interface manual, steps to reflash or just read the ecu map etc. so im now on the hunt for other tactrix usrs. and perhaps a light mod stock reflash. ie catback and snorkus delete.
Check out romraider.com

You're looking for a stage one map.
JonnyV2889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Itsawagon37
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303384
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Denver, PA
Vehicle:
04 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

Thanks, yeah I have been on there all day, though I cant find a search option. I have found a stock map retune with no mods(as in bone stock) and the closest map is a stage 2 with a turbo-back and stock everything else. I however only have a catback. So I believe I will take the stock map and use to "tweek" until I get a good result for having a catback set up. Im getting ready to go save my OEM map though. lots of reading and research on this.
Itsawagon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Dillinja666
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 332644
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: A whales Vagina
Vehicle:
07 STI
It's white

Default

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewf...1dd9aec20993c1

There are a lot of opensource people on here. I recently switched to opensource and honestly wouldn't go back. It takes some getting used to but if you read and experiment you will know more about your car and why it works then with other tuning systems.
Dillinja666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
the suicidal eggroll
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 51961
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsawagon37 View Post
Thanks, yeah I have been on there all day, though I cant find a search option. I have found a stock map retune with no mods(as in bone stock) and the closest map is a stage 2 with a turbo-back and stock everything else. I however only have a catback. So I believe I will take the stock map and use to "tweek" until I get a good result for having a catback set up. Im getting ready to go save my OEM map though. lots of reading and research on this.
The catback does nothing for power or to the tune, same goes for the snorkus delete. You want a basic stage 1 (no other mods) reflash, since none of your mods require or would even be helped out by any modifications to the tune, stock or otherwise.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
medamullet
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 99442
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Man of Mystery
Vehicle:
2006 SGM STI
I'm on CORN YO!

Default

the company that makes the cable doesn't make all the interface software. It's your job to figure out how you are using the cable. It's used for TONS of other interfaces besides OS tuning....
medamullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Itsawagon37
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303384
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Denver, PA
Vehicle:
04 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the suicidal eggroll View Post
The catback does nothing for power or to the tune, same goes for the snorkus delete. You want a basic stage 1 (no other mods) reflash, since none of your mods require or would even be helped out by any modifications to the tune, stock or otherwise.
So either the Stock reflash tune or the Stage 2 reflash would be ok? the only change I see that is made is some light timing and boost absolute changes. the stage 2 one goes to a 2.1 Bar absolute. Im almost sure the stock turbo cannot even produce boost that high nor would the stock WGA hold it. but I plan to test the "stock" reflash tonight or this weekend. I want to get a real good understanding of it by spring when I upgrade my stock turbo and get a full exhaust.
Itsawagon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
the suicidal eggroll
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 51961
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Default

No, only the stock reflash tune (aka stage 1). As I said, all you have is a catback and a snorkus delete, neither of these affect the tune, so as far as the tune is concerned, you have a stock car. The only part of the turboback that shifts you from stage 1 to stage 2 is the aftermarket downpipe, which you don't have, so you're stage 1/stock.

2.1 bar absolute is only 16 psi relative, the stock turbo can easily hit that at mid-RPM. It just won't be able to carry it to redline. You need an aftermarket downpipe before you try this though, the stock downpipe is too restrictive and will raise the EGT too high if you attempt to run that boost.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
cowboy_Rob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194062
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Camp Hill PA
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsawagon37 View Post

So either the Stock reflash tune or the Stage 2 reflash would be ok? the only change I see that is made is some light timing and boost absolute changes. the stage 2 one goes to a 2.1 Bar absolute. Im almost sure the stock turbo cannot even produce boost that high nor would the stock WGA hold it. but I plan to test the "stock" reflash tonight or this weekend. I want to get a real good understanding of it by spring when I upgrade my stock turbo and get a full exhaust.
You want the stage 1 stock reflash tune like I texted ya. 2.1 bar absolute is only about 16 psi. Absolute is boost and atmospheric pressure so even your tiny td04 can do that
cowboy_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
Itsawagon37
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303384
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Denver, PA
Vehicle:
04 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

yeah i have been looking at the maps and perameters. So when i get a chance im saving my stock map and doing the stock reflash after i see the compairison to the oem map
Itsawagon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
Toadz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 262903
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Western WI
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Silver

Default

I've got an aftermarket TMIC, up-pipe, downpipe, fuel rails, and a manual boost adjuster. Stock manifolds and stock catback. I did have STi injectors but one was clogged so I had to throw the stock ones in. Would this be a Stage 2?
Toadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
JonnyV2889
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 197384
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MWV NH
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Ltd
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadz View Post
I've got an aftermarket TMIC, up-pipe, downpipe, fuel rails, and a manual boost adjuster. Stock manifolds and stock catback. I did have STi injectors but one was clogged so I had to throw the stock ones in. Would this be a Stage 2?
You've got a lot of reading to do if you're doing the tune yourself. You will lose all safety features of the stock ecu using just a MBC. Not to mention part throttle full boost.
JonnyV2889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
Toadz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 262903
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Western WI
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyV2889 View Post
You've got a lot of reading to do if you're doing the tune yourself. You will lose all safety features of the stock ecu using just a MBC. Not to mention part throttle full boost.
Been trying to do as much reading as possible which is hard with my busy schedule. This car is pieced together from two cars that didn't run so it's kind of a Frankenstein as far as mods and ECU's go. Would love to be able to get a safe base map for it so it's safe to drive while I educate myself. It has become my sister's daily driver due to her other car dieing on her so unfortunately I'm on a time crunch.

I've downloaded my current map off the ECU so how can I post it to the forum so someone can take a look at it?
Toadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
the suicidal eggroll
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 51961
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadz View Post
I've got an aftermarket TMIC, up-pipe, downpipe, fuel rails, and a manual boost adjuster. Stock manifolds and stock catback. I did have STi injectors but one was clogged so I had to throw the stock ones in. Would this be a Stage 2?
TMIC - Might require some slight adjustments to the tune, nothing severe. Tune modifications are mostly for performance and optimization rather than reliability and drivability

up-pipe - Boost parameters (namely initial WGDC) may need to be modified due to the drop in restriction, similar to installing a catless downpipe on a stock tune. With an MBC though, probably nothing is required.

downpipe - Puts you in stage 2 category, not much else to say

fuel rails - Nothing required

MBC - You should probably zero out your boost error tables, since the ECU is no longer controlling boost. You should probably consider selling the MBC and switching back to an ECU-controlled EBC though, since it will retain the low IAM boost limp mode, and it will be able to taper boost at high RPM to optimize power, something the MBC cannot do, and is actually pretty significant on a small turbo like the TD04.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #15
Toadz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 262903
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Western WI
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the suicidal eggroll View Post
TMIC - Might require some slight adjustments to the tune, nothing severe. Tune modifications are mostly for performance and optimization rather than reliability and drivability

up-pipe - Boost parameters (namely initial WGDC) may need to be modified due to the drop in restriction, similar to installing a catless downpipe on a stock tune. With an MBC though, probably nothing is required.

downpipe - Puts you in stage 2 category, not much else to say

fuel rails - Nothing required

MBC - You should probably zero out your boost error tables, since the ECU is no longer controlling boost. You should probably consider selling the MBC and switching back to an ECU-controlled EBC though, since it will retain the low IAM boost limp mode, and it will be able to taper boost at high RPM to optimize power, something the MBC cannot do, and is actually pretty significant on a small turbo like the TD04.
Thanks for the info. Would I be able to just remove the MBC to revert it back to stock? The MBC was on the engine that I swapped in so I haven't touched it.

So I could download a conservative stage 2 map and probably be okay to run it for awhile then right?

Also, will an '02 WRX map work for an '03?

Last edited by Toadz; 10-18-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Toadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #16
JonnyV2889
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 197384
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MWV NH
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Ltd
OBP

Default

Yes you can swap all the plumbing and ebcs from your other motor over. Don't forget the restrictor pil.

I wouldn't guess on any tune being safe. You've got the tactrix, do the logging. Pretty much as long as you're not getting knock or minimal amounts ~1 of correction you should be safe.
JonnyV2889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #17
Toadz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 262903
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Western WI
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyV2889 View Post
I wouldn't guess on any tune being safe. You've got the tactrix, do the logging. Pretty much as long as you're not getting knock or minimal amounts ~1 of correction you should be safe.
I've done some logging but I haven't been able to get a wideband yet so I've been hesitant about making any changes.
Toadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #18
Itsawagon37
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303384
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Denver, PA
Vehicle:
04 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

the stock flash i got is great for my stock set up. Got a boost in psi and corrected timing but also a more stable low end and idle
Itsawagon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #19
Itsawagon37
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303384
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Denver, PA
Vehicle:
04 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

so after about a week with this tune im loving the way the car drives. My oem tune logs got erased by mistake. (hate the number system it uses to name files) but im fairly certain there is a slight relearn time on a flash. Going back to stock to get new logs and compair on my new tune. Anyone know or have idea how long it takes to relearn?
Itsawagon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #20
Itsawagon37
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303384
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Denver, PA
Vehicle:
04 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

mainly wondering because im going to a test and tune track sat and wondering about how many runs between reflashes it might take to be *dialed in*
Itsawagon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #21
Itsawagon37
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303384
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Denver, PA
Vehicle:
04 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the suicidal eggroll View Post
You need an aftermarket downpipe before you try this though, the stock downpipe is too restrictive and will raise the EGT too high if you attempt to run that boost.
so ive been logging my new tune. How high of egt is too high? Just so i know what to lookout for.
Itsawagon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #22
the suicidal eggroll
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 51961
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Default

Using the stock EGT sensor? I have no idea, since it's located all the way in the uppipe and has questionable accuracy to begin with. With a real EGT sensor located in a runner close to the heads, around 1600 F is generally considered the upper limit for a safe tune.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #23
Itsawagon37
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303384
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Denver, PA
Vehicle:
04 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

ok cause right now i avg 1200 to 1350 when i make a pull. Cruise its between 1150 and 1250 the first day on the reflash i had a log run in the 1900 range...seems questionable since max ive seen since was 14xx
Itsawagon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #24
Itsawagon37
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303384
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Denver, PA
Vehicle:
04 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

i would also think that at the turbo egt wouldnt be off by more then say 200 degree. If the dp is what is causing the restriction heat build up would be there the most.
Itsawagon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #25
the suicidal eggroll
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 51961
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Default

The biggest heat drop is across the turbine. As long as the EGT sensor is located before the turbo it won't do TOO bad, but yeah it could be up to a couple hundred degrees lower than at the head just due to convective/radiative heat loss in the header/uppipe. Wrapping the header and uppipe will help.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.