Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club Forum sponsored by Annapolis Subaru
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #26
lilblue619
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 288292
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: arbutus md
Vehicle:
2004 sti
wrb. the blue one.

Default

You are wrong Sir ^ its been in the high 30's the past few nights and its not even winter. I bet we get snow this year too.. and I hope its a lot.

I would definitely suggest you buy winter tires/wheels and mud flaps for the salt.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
lilblue619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #27
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 WRB BRZ
:banana:

Default

It hit teens last winter dude...what are you talking about.


Winter tires/wheels or All-Seasons, preferably the first. It doesn't snow much here, but when it does snow (like it will this year considering last years pittance) it's bad.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #28
lilblue619
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 288292
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: arbutus md
Vehicle:
2004 sti
wrb. the blue one.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
It hit teens last winter dude...what are you talking about.

Winter tires/wheels or All-Seasons, preferably the first. It doesn't snow much here, but when it does snow (like it will this year considering last years pittance) it's bad.
I think he's trollin
lilblue619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #29
jeremy_m01
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331608
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Annapolis
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
WRB

Default

So just moved from San Antonio up here last month. We're in Annapolis and really like it so far. Spent 9 years at Fort Meade before heading to San Antonio the past 2 so the driving and weather wasn't/isn't a shock but the taxes I am now paying after getting out of the military, the registration fees, and the crazy safety inspection were definitely a shocker.
jeremy_m01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #30
JaTe
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48815
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STi Sedan
SWP

Default

You can also check out Harford county. Bel Air is about 45mins north from Baltimore and the town is very family oriented here. There is also a big Subaru community around here. Agile Auto is in the next town over in Fallston.
JaTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #31
jm020
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353194
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Broomfield, CO
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Limited
ISM

Default

move to VA! I grew up in MD and made the transplant a few years ago....and I bet your ccw permit is good here, too! That said, it is next to impossible to get a concealed permit in MD.

If you're working in Baltimore, you definitely don't want to commute from here every day though. They recently finished the ICC, which makes a commute from the rockville or gaithersburg area a breeze. You also have Frederick/mt airy as an option if you don't mind a 45ish min commute.
jm020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #32
stimania
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 233957
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Cumberland,MD
Vehicle:
2012 STI Hatch
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm020 View Post
move to VA! I grew up in MD and made the transplant a few years ago....and I bet your ccw permit is good here, too! That said, it is next to impossible to get a concealed permit in MD.

If you're working in Baltimore, you definitely don't want to commute from here every day though. They recently finished the ICC, which makes a commute from the rockville or gaithersburg area a breeze. You also have Frederick/mt airy as an option if you don't mind a 45ish min commute.
Concealed carry in md, forget it!
stimania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #33
White64Goat
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 291238
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Thurmont, Md.
Vehicle:
02 WRX
World Rally Blue

Default

Buy a snow shovel, boots, ice scraper................

I would not want to commute from Rockville, Gaithersburg to Baltimore every day....stock up on audio books of you do. ICC is about $9.00 a day round trip I believe.

Contact a local Realtor, they can help you search.

Or call House Hunters and maybe you can get on TV........
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #34
DavC825
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 201736
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Prince George's County
Vehicle:
07 Squeakmobile
Black in Color

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilblue619 View Post
I think he's trollin
No no I'm being serious. I do not recall 20-30 degree weather. Seriously. Plus, I generally wear shorts even in the winter so I would know if it was in the 20s or not...

Snow tires are over kill for the Dustings we get.
DavC825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #35
AllAWD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17079
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Alexandria, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodian View Post
Hey guys,

We will be relocating to the Baltimore area for a new job and we dont know the area at all. Any help/suggestions would be awesome. Heres a list of stuff so far:

1. Area/Suburb to look at for leasing a house? - We were thinking south Baltimore between BWI Airport and DC (Columbia, Ellicott City?)
---Family friendly area - parks/walking trails/etc..
---Dog friendly - Dobe

2. Hospital - Wife is a pediatric nurse so she will be looking for a new job.

3. Montessori school for the kido.

I know the company might have some answers to these but wanted to see what you folks thought.

Thanks for all the help.
1. As a fellow Texan (from Arlington, TX), I'm sorry. Best place to live in MD is Northern VA. I live in VA and commute to MD for work. Lived in MD for 6 years, never again.

2. According to my nurse friends this area is actually not great for nursing employment. But there are a lot of hospitals everywhere.

3. I've never really looked. I think there is one in Arlington, VA near the Ballston neighborhood.
AllAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #36
Prodian
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 146387
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Allen, TX
Vehicle:
2014 Legacy
awdtuning.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White64Goat View Post
Buy a snow shovel, boots, ice scraper................

I would not want to commute from Rockville, Gaithersburg to Baltimore every day....stock up on audio books of you do. ICC is about $9.00 a day round trip I believe.

Contact a local Realtor, they can help you search.

Or call House Hunters and maybe you can get on TV........
Ha we will be reaching out to a realtor shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAWD View Post

1. As a fellow Texan (from Arlington, TX), I'm sorry. Best place to live in MD is Northern VA. I live in VA and commute to MD for work. Lived in MD for 6 years, never again.

2. According to my nurse friends this area is actually not great for nursing employment. But there are a lot of hospitals everywhere.

3. I've never really looked. I think there is one in Arlington, VA near the Ballston neighborhood.
That commute would be killer for us esp if she has to go dowtown Baltimore. We are trying to keep the commutes to 20-30mins.

Thanks for the info guys.
Prodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #37
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 WRB BRZ
:banana:

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavC825 View Post
No no I'm being serious. I do not recall 20-30 degree weather. Seriously. Plus, I generally wear shorts even in the winter so I would know if it was in the 20s or not...

Snow tires are over kill for the Dustings we get.
I agree...but I have performance summer tires for most the year, why would I run them in the winter if my only car is this one? Given that point, why would I run All-Seasons? The best All-Season won't out handle a decent snow tire in the snow/cold/wet/mush we get.

shrug.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #38
karmaSRT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 231457
Join Date: Nov 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Smithsburg MD
Vehicle:
2010 Wrx
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimania View Post
Concealed carry in md, forget it!
I can carry my gun everywhere mike suck on that .

Move to Frederick may be a longer commute but a nice area for sure
karmaSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #39
stimania
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 233957
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Cumberland,MD
Vehicle:
2012 STI Hatch
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmaSRT View Post
I can carry my gun everywhere mike suck on that . Move to Frederick may be a longer commute but a nice area for sure
I wonder why Garrett? And you too good to talk to me anymore except for nasioc?
stimania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #40
karmaSRT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 231457
Join Date: Nov 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Smithsburg MD
Vehicle:
2010 Wrx
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimania View Post
I wonder why Garrett? And you too good to talk to me anymore except for nasioc?
No just so busy man Thursday is my first day off in 2 months lol
karmaSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:25 AM   #41
end_of_silence
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 85565
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Finksburg, MD
Vehicle:
2002 Goon Project
95 Neon Sport RX beater

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodian View Post
Hey guys,

We will be relocating to the Baltimore area for a new job and we dont know the area at all. Any help/suggestions would be awesome. Heres a list of stuff so far:

1. Area/Suburb to look at for leasing a house? - We were thinking south Baltimore between BWI Airport and DC (Columbia, Ellicott City?)
---Family friendly area - parks/walking trails/etc..
---Dog friendly - Dobe

2. Hospital - Wife is a pediatric nurse so she will be looking for a new job.

3. Montessori school for the kido.

I know the company might have some answers to these but wanted to see what you folks thought.

Thanks for all the help.
If you are seriously looking in Howard County, PM me with neighborhoods and street names (preferable). I can provide you with some insight that most here cannot.
end_of_silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #42
DavC825
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 201736
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Prince George's County
Vehicle:
07 Squeakmobile
Black in Color

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmaSRT View Post
I can carry my gun everywhere mike suck on that . Move to Frederick may be a longer commute but a nice area for sure
Frederick to Baltimore is like 2hours one way. It's like 90minutes from moco to Baltimore already lol
DavC825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #43
Artful
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 370233
Join Date: Oct 2013
Default

I have lived just about everywhere around the Beltway. Here's the short run down.

Columbia - Every chain restaurant you can imagine all conspire to prevent anything resembling character or charm. Soccer moms as far as the eye can see, and in your business. Thanks to Section 8 housing legislation it is no safer than anywhere else in terms of theft. I've lived in BAD neighborhoods and the only place I've ever had a car broken into was Columbia.

Glen Burnie/Pasadena - A charming blue collar area with good housing prices but a lot of whiskey tango hanging around. Everything was built in the 80s or 90s but it's convenient to most anywhere.

Catonsville - Choose the specific neighborhood carefully (there are soem bad spots) but for the most part I loved living there. Lots of small local restaurants and bars, plenty to do. If you're the outdoors type Patapsco State Park is probably one of the best in the central part of the state.

Hamilton/Parkville/Towson - This is where I live currently and I LOVE it. I'm technically within city limits in the Hamilton neighborhood, but it's basically the 'burbs. LOTS of local flavor, great music, and housing prices are rock bottom for how safe the neighborhood is. All the homes are older, but if they were well-maintained they are EXTREMELY well built. When I was hanging drywall in my daughter's nursery I kept cracking drywall screws because the old growth pine true dimension 2x4s are hard a steel.

There are a lot of hospitals in the area of course, my wife works at Good Samaritan. There are jobs to be had but they're also competitive because of the area's excellent medical reputation.

I've seen most of the country, and there are only one or two places I'd rather live than MD. If you're the type that isn't intimidated by a city's reputation and avoid a few very specific areas, Baltimore is one of the best cities out there for nightlife and culture. I'm a little older so the bar scene has lost a little bit of its shine, but if you take the time to get to know Baltimore, there is a LOT to love.

EDIT: If you want to talk about anywhere specifically, I've lived here for 32 years, drop me a PM.

Last edited by Artful; 11-06-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Artful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #44
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2013 WRB BRZ
:banana:

Default

Obligatory watch The Wire post.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #45
slayer44wagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 300834
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
03 wrx wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavC825 View Post

Frederick to Baltimore is like 2hours one way. It's like 90minutes from moco to Baltimore already lol
You are wrong sir it does not take 2 hours max 90 min and that's pretty much any wear in the city
slayer44wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #46
Artful
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 370233
Join Date: Oct 2013
Default

It's like anywhere else around the beltway. 35 minutes with no traffic, and hour and a half in rush hour.
Artful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #47
EVL RS-T
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30071
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Northern Virginia
Vehicle:
2001 RS-T
2015 XT

Default

The only thing I know about MD is that I pitty the suckers that are commuting north from Tyson's toward the 270 spur at 4PM... i'll never understand why anyone lives in Gaithersburg/Rockville if they commute down to VA...
EVL RS-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #48
Skytigress
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 198496
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: McKinney,Tejas
Vehicle:
2003 350z

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distant.Calling View Post
Do you HAVE to move to MD? It kind of sucks here.


Nearly spit out my coffee.

I moved to MD from DE to live with my boyfriend (Bmore native). It does suck, for a lot of reasons (cost of living is the biggest issue for me). Luckily we live far out from the city and the hell that is 695.


Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
I agree...but I have performance summer tires for most the year, why would I run them in the winter if my only car is this one? Given that point, why would I run All-Seasons? The best All-Season won't out handle a decent snow tire in the snow/cold/wet/mush we get.

shrug.
Totally my line of thought. I've ALWAYS had a set of summers and a set of snows (my previous cars were RWD); all seasons are really a compromise. Wintersport M3's are a great 'performance' winter tire, I really liked them on my old 240sx.
Skytigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #49
AllAWD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17079
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Alexandria, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytigress View Post


Nearly spit out my coffee.

I moved to MD from DE to live with my boyfriend (Bmore native). It does suck, for a lot of reasons (cost of living is the biggest issue for me). Luckily we live far out from the city and the hell that is 695.




Totally my line of thought. I've ALWAYS had a set of summers and a set of snows (my previous cars were RWD); all seasons are really a compromise. Wintersport M3's are a great 'performance' winter tire, I really liked them on my old 240sx.
I think of summer and all-season tires in terms of temp more than precipitation types. Summers are not going to work well in near-freezing temps. All-seasons will be better in cold/wet, but don't expect any substantial grip in snow.

If I have to drive in snow, I would want a snow tire. But rarely do I ever drive when roads are not plowed so I stick with all-seasons because they are cheaper and last longer. In a pinch, I will still get home thanks to AWD.
AllAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #50
Annapolis Subaru
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 107051
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Annapolis, MD
Default

I think that Columbia is pretty nice, convenient to everything as far as needs and commuting. It's a lot of planned communities though so if you are looking for old home charm you would want to try Ellicott City instead. My grandfather lives right on Lake Elkhorn in Columbia, the area is beautiful and clean. He's lived there for about 20 years and has never had any problems.

I live in Glen Burnie on the outskirts near Severn, it's convenient and I like our neighborhood but I'm not sure that I would recommend it. If I could afford to live elsewhere I would probably choose a few neighborhoods in Annapolis, Arnold (Montessori is here but there are many locations around Maryland including Columbia), Severna Park, Davidsonville, Crofton or even parts of Pasadena if I didn't have to commute. I do not recommend the eastern shore, your commute would be horrific during the summer.

I've lived in Baltimore City, NW Bolton Hill about .5 blocks from "The Wire". The house was amazing but unless you enjoy helicopters flying over your head every night I wouldn't suggest it. If ever moved back I would choose the southern end of Bolton Hill, Mount Vernon or somewhere closer to downtown. I would choose Federal Hill (away from the bars) over Canton / Highlandtown but parking is horrible no matter what.

As far as getting robbed, it's only happened to me once and it was in the nicest apartment complex in GB/Pasadena. They busted down the door while I was in Vegas and took a bunch of stuff. I figure it was probably the maintenance man who noticed our vacation on the calendar as they are generally some seriously shady people. I've had small issues at other rental complex's but nothing worth mentioning.
Annapolis Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.