Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 10, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
OBS_Greg
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 372879
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Washington
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza OBS
White

Default Im looking for performance related upragres to make my car faster, and suggestions?

So I've been fixing up my 02 Impreza Outback Sport, from its previous, beat up state. I've been doing lots of work on it, here's what I'm doing/did: I'm working on pulling out all the minor dents, got a new Extreme Dimension body kit, magnaflow cat back sport exhaust, aem cold air intake, new 18" enkei wheels! new halo led headlights, and about to strip it down to paint it solid white. This is all what I have right now, I'm trying to focus my attention on the speed of it, any suggestions to really get it going fast? I'm also looking for a turbo of some sort, and with all the turbos out there it's hard finding a good reasonably priced one. Suggestions for that?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
OBS_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

put it this way.

teams have spent $10k+ on NA motor builds, and they barely touch stock wrx power levels.

focus on handling. there is nothing you really can do.
sc00by4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
OBS_Greg
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 372879
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Washington
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza OBS
White

Default

I'm not trying to make it crazy fast, but would a turbo help?
OBS_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
2007 Lotus Elise
(From General)

Default

Before you throw more money at a car that won't be faster, start looking into a WRX engine swap or simply selling your car and buying a WRX. There's a ton of stuff you can do. Cost effective stuff? No.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default

Of course a turbo would help. But your motor cannot handle it for more then a few psi. Its a lot more complicated then bolting on power.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
Unabomber
Big Ron
Moderator
 
Member#: 18062
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I can save you a ton of cash
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Default

Subarus are NOT Hondas...you cannot bolt on a turbo and go as even if you do, you will net like 5 PSI and explode the motor within 6 weeks. Look at WRX/STI motor swaps if you want any power and longevity.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
Loyale93
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 91347
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Moscow, Russia
Vehicle:
'13 XV Crosstrek,
1050 Triumph Speed Triple

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS_Greg View Post
I'm not trying to make it crazy fast, but would a turbo help?
You know the phrase, "couldn't hurt" ? That doesn't apply to cars. Unlike your Grand Forzaismo Theft Auto. You can't just add crap to your car and make it better.

If you just go to the gym all day long, but still eat crappy foods, smoke a pack an hour, and are drunk all day long, you're not going to get in better shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS_Greg View Post
So I've been fixing up my 02 Impreza Outback Sport, from its previous, beat up state. I've been doing lots of work on it, here's what I'm doing/did: I'm working on pulling out all the minor dents, got a new Extreme Dimension body kit, magnaflow cat back sport exhaust, aem cold air intake, new 18" enkei wheels! new halo led headlights, and about to strip it down to paint it solid white. This is all what I have right now, I'm trying to focus my attention on the speed of it, any suggestions to really get it going fast? I'm also looking for a turbo of some sort, and with all the turbos out there it's hard finding a good reasonably priced one. Suggestions for that?
Wants car to be faster. Spends money on hideous body kit and bigger wheels.

If you want the exact car you have to be faster, look into engine swaps. Not Bolt ons.
Look into weight savings. Not weight addition.
Look into reading more. Not doing more.
Loyale93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
art@grimmspeed
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 301037
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Aspen White

Default

put you money toward appearance and suspension modifications. Your ROI will be much higher
art@grimmspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
OBS_Greg
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 372879
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Washington
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza OBS
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyale93 View Post
You know the phrase, "couldn't hurt" ? That doesn't apply to cars. Unlike your Grand Forzaismo Theft Auto. You can't just add crap to your car and make it better. If you just go to the gym all day long, but still eat crappy foods, smoke a pack an hour, and are drunk all day long, you're not going to get in better shape. Wants car to be faster. Spends money on hideous body kit and bigger wheels. If you want the exact car you have to be faster, look into engine swaps. Not Bolt ons. Look into weight savings. Not weight addition. Look into reading more. Not doing more.
I'm not a complete idiot, I had reasons for replacing the body kit. The front bumper was broken, and rear bumper a large crack through it. Wheels were cracked as well as both the head lights. It was my brothers car and he didn't treat it well to say the least. Its my first car and I've tried to get a wrx, but simply don't have the funds to do so. I was looking for a some what cheap way to increase performance.
OBS_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
OBS_Greg
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 372879
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Washington
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza OBS
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
Subarus are NOT Hondas...you cannot bolt on a turbo and go as even if you do, you will net like 5 PSI and explode the motor within 6 weeks. Look at WRX/STI motor swaps if you want any power and longevity.
I did go to the dealership in town and they told me the same thing more or less, basically my car wasn't meant for a turbo that the WRX's have on them. I see that but I'm not a huge turbo expert so I thought I might get some input
OBS_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
OBS_Greg
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 372879
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Washington
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza OBS
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Before you throw more money at a car that won't be faster, start looking into a WRX engine swap or simply selling your car and buying a WRX. There's a ton of stuff you can do. Cost effective stuff? No.
I'd honestly just much rather doing that, except 02 WRX's with a decent amount of miles on them are like 18k, way out of my price range at the moment.
OBS_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
OBS_Greg
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 372879
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Washington
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza OBS
White

Default

I'm not exactly looking to make it a race car or anything, I just wanted to be able to do a few things for it that won't burn a hole in my wallet.

It's not that fast as it is, I'm just looking to make it a little more enjoyable to drive.
OBS_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #13
OBS_Greg
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 372879
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Washington
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza OBS
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris@grimmspeed View Post
put you money toward appearance and suspension modifications. Your ROI will be much higher
currently trying to make it look pretty, and drop it down a little bit. Needed a makeover quite intensely, so I'm going through the process of stripping this week. In my personal opinion, OBS' are pretty ugly with the whole two-tone. When all said and done it will be similar to a WRX appearance wise, all I'm trying to do next is get it quicker.
OBS_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #14
manualmotive
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339206
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Lost
Vehicle:
RIP Totalled 13 WRX
White 14 BRZ

Default

Why didn't you just buy a WRX then?! With the money you spent on wheels and a 2fst2furi0s body kit + what you expect to spend on performance, you probably could have had one in your driveway right now.

EDIT: And for the love of god, stop quintuple posting. Use the edit button please.

EDIT2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS_Greg View Post
I'd honestly just much rather doing that, except 02 WRX's with a decent amount of miles on them are like 18k, way out of my price range at the moment.
The ****?? Where do you live? They're 7-9k here.
manualmotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #15
OBS_Greg
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 372879
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Washington
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza OBS
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualmotive View Post
Why didn't you just buy a WRX then?! With the money you spent on wheels and a 2fst2furi0s body kit + what you expect to spend on performance, you probably could have had one in your driveway right now. EDIT: And for the love of god, stop quintuple posting. Use the edit button please. EDIT2: The ****?? Where do you live? They're 7-9k here.
I didn't buy one because I don't have enough money for a WRX. Nor did my parents want me to have a WRX when I first started driving. It's my brothers old car and all I'm doing is simply fixing it up. I made sure not to buy a rice burner looking body kit as well, I tried to stick as original looking as possible. Honestly, I have only spent about 2,500 on the cosmetic/appearance/add ons stuff. That's about as much as I'm going to as well. Plus some paint in about a week. So, no, I wouldn't have enough to have one in my drive way. I was looking today and saw a 02 WRX wagon for 13k and 120k miles on it, which is ridiculous amount of money for something that much mileage. Saw an 03 with 25k miles for $18k. I live in Washington, and apparently, WRX's are worth more than they should be.

Also sorry for the multiple posts, I'm new to the forum thing
OBS_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #16
guroove
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 129833
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2005 Forester XT
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

The only cheap things you can do to make that car any quicker are adjusting the tire pressure, and removing things from it. Building power is expensive. The inexpensive mod you are looking for does not exist.
guroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #17
OBS_Greg
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 372879
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Washington
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza OBS
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guroove View Post
The only cheap things you can do to make that car any quicker are adjusting the tire pressure, and removing things from it. Building power is expensive. The inexpensive mod you are looking for does not exist.
I'm not necessarily looking for an inexpensive mod just, just something cheaper than buy a whole new engine
OBS_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #18
Torontolegacy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 327872
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario , Canada
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT wagon
Black

Default

A whole new engine is the cheapest power mod you can purchase. Adding anything to the car in N/A terms is essentially going to add expensive paper weights. Just make her look nice and learn to drive.

Dont mind all the not so friendly replies, but you kind of asked for them with your mention of a brotastic body kit and what ever wheels you said they were

Stop repeating yourself by asking for cheap "power mods" as they dont exist. You wont notice any gains even with the aem intake you mentioned. Just save up for a swap.
Torontolegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #19
guroove
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 129833
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2005 Forester XT
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS_Greg View Post
I'm not necessarily looking for an inexpensive mod just, just something cheaper than buy a whole new engine
Nitrous kit.
guroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #20
C4RBON_F1BER
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 208507
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cedar Falls, IA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5-door
PBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guroove View Post
Nitrous kit.
But he said he didn't want to buy a new engine!
C4RBON_F1BER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #21
Lumberjacked
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 366296
Join Date: Aug 2013
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Canada eh
Vehicle:
0407 Impreza&Legacy
Black/Grey

Default

If you are dead set on keeping your N/A car and not swapping in for a WRX/STI powertrain - then a lightweight flywheel, intake manifold spacer, lightweight crank pulley, intake, and exhaust are a good start. Not massive HP gains, but noticeable. Also suspension mods in these cars make for an awesome ride - you won't win in a straight line - but you'll be able to hold it together in the curves at least.

Just my two cents...
Lumberjacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #22
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 60082
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

Default

Frankly, sell the car and buy an old WRX...or a WRX/STI swapped RS.

If power gains is your focus, you really do need to go one of two routes for what I would call "sufficient" power. You either do forced induction or go with higher displacement. A 2.0L WRX is capable of around 400whp if you don't mind revving out the engine (including supporting mods for valvetrain and flow) You can also go with a H6 motor. The old EG33 engines are dirt cheap and offer 3.3L of displacement stock and can be bored to 3.5L. EFI has gotten one to north of 300whp with just cams and headwork, so there's a lot of potential in a pretty budget minded package. Plus it's still the old cable throttle meaning no throttle lag. The downside is weight as the EG33 isn't nearly as light.

Now if you're going forced induction, the cheapest route would be to buy someone's used swap, preferably one with a built motor, namely forged pistons. If you're going the high displacement NA route, then any car will do, but there will be down time.

IF you're stuck with your current car, you don't have many options. You can't really get sizable gains without massively modifying the engine, every single aspect. This is an engine designed from the ground up to peak at 3000-4000 rpm and does so well. However, high hp will require much higher peak operation, more towards 6000-8000 rpm. The rotating assembly is capable of high rpm use without generating extremely high piston speeds. It's actually better than a lot of the high revving Honda engines in this regard. The downside is everything is geared for much lower rpm use. You have to make the thing flow, so you're doing head work, cams, high compression pistons, custom intake manifold, larger throttle body, custom exhaust headers, larger exhaust, basically everything. You're pretty much modifying every part of the engine to have peak efficiency up towards 7k plus rather than 3 to 4k. You won't make more torque, but your torque will be very high in the power band which in turn can make high peak hp. With something like E85, it is theoretically possible to generate around 300whp from this sized engine, but this is peak output and it's way up top at 8k or so. The engine would feel and operate more like a Honda S2000 or Mazda RX7 where you really have to wind out the engine to get it to go. Any light driving will feel very wimpy and underwhelming. You just can't get torque without forced induction or displacement. Small engines require high rpm to generate hp. There's no other way around it, and you will spend GOBS of money reconfiguring the entire engine, $10k, $15k on a full rebuild and a lot of custom parts.
Back Road Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #23
OBS_Greg
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 372879
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Washington
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza OBS
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontolegacy View Post
A whole new engine is the cheapest power mod you can purchase. Adding anything to the car in N/A terms is essentially going to add expensive paper weights. Just make her look nice and learn to drive. Dont mind all the not so friendly replies, but you kind of asked for them with your mention of a brotastic body kit and what ever wheels you said they were Stop repeating yourself by asking for cheap "power mods" as they dont exist. You wont notice any gains even with the aem intake you mentioned. Just save up for a swap.
Thanks for the positive feed back, and not so rude comments.
Ya I'm working on making it look nice, and maybe make the handling better. I'll probably just save up to buy an actual WRX, or a and STI.
Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Road Runner View Post
Frankly, sell the car and buy an old WRX...or a WRX/STI swapped RS. If power gains is your focus, you really do need to go one of two routes for what I would call "sufficient" power. You either do forced induction or go with higher displacement. A 2.0L WRX is capable of around 400whp if you don't mind revving out the engine (including supporting mods for valvetrain and flow) You can also go with a H6 motor. The old EG33 engines are dirt cheap and offer 3.3L of displacement stock and can be bored to 3.5L. EFI has gotten one to north of 300whp with just cams and headwork, so there's a lot of potential in a pretty budget minded package. Plus it's still the old cable throttle meaning no throttle lag. The downside is weight as the EG33 isn't nearly as light. Now if you're going forced induction, the cheapest route would be to buy someone's used swap, preferably one with a built motor, namely forged pistons. If you're going the high displacement NA route, then any car will do, but there will be down time. IF you're stuck with your current car, you don't have many options. You can't really get sizable gains without massively modifying the engine, every single aspect. This is an engine designed from the ground up to peak at 3000-4000 rpm and does so well. However, high hp will require much higher peak operation, more towards 6000-8000 rpm. The rotating assembly is capable of high rpm use without generating extremely high piston speeds. It's actually better than a lot of the high revving Honda engines in this regard. The downside is everything is geared for much lower rpm use. You have to make the thing flow, so you're doing head work, cams, high compression pistons, custom intake manifold, larger throttle body, custom exhaust headers, larger exhaust, basically everything. You're pretty much modifying every part of the engine to have peak efficiency up towards 7k plus rather than 3 to 4k. You won't make more torque, but your torque will be very high in the power band which in turn can make high peak hp. With something like E85, it is theoretically possible to generate around 300whp from this sized engine, but this is peak output and it's way up top at 8k or so. The engine would feel and operate more like a Honda S2000 or Mazda RX7 where you really have to wind out the engine to get it to go. Any light driving will feel very wimpy and underwhelming. You just can't get torque without forced induction or displacement. Small engines require high rpm to generate hp. There's no other way around it, and you will spend GOBS of money reconfiguring the entire engine, $10k, $15k on a full rebuild and a lot of custom parts.
Probably one of the most helpful out of all these comments.

You probably saved me tons of money when it comes to putting pointless things putting on my car, when it actually would do worse.

Like I said in the post above, I'll just put some work into the handling so it's a fun car to drive around. May not be the fastest thing, but it'll be sure be fun to drive.
Thanks for the insight

Last edited by OBS_Greg; 11-07-2013 at 12:46 AM.
OBS_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #24
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 60082
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

Default

I don't want to deter you from playing around. Just understand that such a route is done more out of scientific interest by someone who has a pile of cash they don't know what to do with. That suits certain people. Frankly, I would LOVE to build a 2.5L race engine just for fun. I just have never been at a point in my life where I have $15k I just want to toss at some random play thing.
Back Road Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #25
nasiocanuck
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 288559
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

Default

OP, I was in the same boat as you a couple years ago. My first subaru was a 98 2.2L impreza, slow as ****. I looked into what it takes to turbocharge the N/A motor reliably and it just doesn't make sense. At the end of the day it'll be about the same price for a EJ205 (02-05 wrx motor) as it would be to mess around with turbo-ing stock motor. You can pick up a used 205 for like $1500 but then you have to merge wiring harnesses and worry about blowing up your tranny. A decent wrx bugeye can be had for under $8000 (for 18K you can get a good 06/07 wrx), and you get so much more for your money then you would get modding your car.

I assume you're young, so why don't you take a couple years, learn how to really drive, save some money and buy a wrx when the time is right. my $0.02
nasiocanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.