Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 11, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
ForeverSupra
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 372958
Default 98 Legacy, questions on a EJ207 swap.

First off, this is my first Subaru. Im familiar with Hondas which as you know, easy as fuh to work on.

The swap I will be buying comes with the transmission, engine and ecu. Nothing else.

1. Which gen do you guys like better of the EJ207? 7 or 8? 7 has forged internals single ACVS, 8 had a better flowing head with dual ACVS... From what I've read.

2. I see a lot of people dont even use the ACVS, why is this? I know I like Vtec in my Honda.

3. I have a 98 Legacy thats auto, the final drive is 4.1 right? So I will be needing a 3.9 differential for the sti trans, r180?

4. Axles... Will the stock 98 axles fit with the new STI trans and differential?

5. Engine/transmission mounts, are there vendors out there that make custom mounts? For Hondas its as easy as looking up your car code and what engine, many mount options.

6. Will I need the wiring harness or can I make everything work with the stock harness? I know I'll need a harness for ACVS.

Please bare with me, I'm learning. If you have nothing nice to say then please dont post. For those of you who do post, thank you so much.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ForeverSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Hondaslayer
Purified Dick

Member#: 4562
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Forester, lifted.

1. Which gen do you guys like better of the EJ207? 7 or 8? 7 has forged internals single ACVS, 8 had a better flowing head with dual ACVS... From what I've read.

-I prefer US spec drivetrains. Getting parts or service manuals is easy.

2. I see a lot of people dont even use the ACVS, why is this? I know I like Vtec in my Honda.

-Laziness? Not sure.

3. I have a 98 Legacy thats auto, the final drive is 4.1 right? So I will be needing a 3.9 differential for the sti trans, r180?

-Correct

4. Axles... Will the stock 98 axles fit with the new STI trans and differential?

Yesish. You will need to convert the transmission to a stub axle setup. Then you will snap the tiny axles and end up swapping back to STI axles anyway, just do it right (which BTW will require STI control arms and lateral links to widen the track width)

5. Engine/transmission mounts, are there vendors out there that make custom mounts? For Hondas its as easy as looking up your car code and what engine, many mount options.

Good news! The engine bolts right in. Transmission will need a manual trans crossmember and mount, but those bolt right in as well.

6. Will I need the wiring harness or can I make everything work with the stock harness? I know I'll need a harness for ACVS.

- Car will have to be re-wired / harness merged etc.... Easily the biggest / hardest part of the swap.

Bonus news! Your 4EAT drive shaft is the right length for your 6m/t, you just have to convert the R180 to a R160 yoke.
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote