Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #51
redrobinwagon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 360509
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Red

Default

I'm 18 and was pretty much thinking just like you, I really wanted a WRX wagon.
Unfortunately cars, gas, repairs, maintenance and especially insurance is expensive.
I ended up buying a Impreza 2.5RS Wagon, and I gotta say it's a great car.
Its cheaper on insurance than a WRX.
It uses less gas.
It doesn't need premium fuel.
It's still really fun to drive (5MT)
It still hauls all my **** and my friends.
It's very reliable.
It is still a boss in the snow.
Sure, I would love a WRX and would love to have that sensation of the turbo kicking in...
But for now, I'm happy with my 2.5RS.

Plus, if I had a WRX now... what would be my motivation when I graduate University?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
redrobinwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #52
Beau M
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 345079
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Burien WA
Vehicle:
13 Wrx sedan
SWP

Default

My first car in 1995 was an 81 Mustang. It was a giant piece of crap that I bought for $700. I still miss it all these years later, that car made me a better person. I couldn't afford a mechanic, so I had to learn how to do everything on that car, from changing the oil to adjusting the carb.


Get a ****box.
Beau M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #53
bugeyesubie117
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 293656
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2003 03 WRX Wagon
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrobinwagon View Post
I'm 18 and was pretty much thinking just like you, I really wanted a WRX wagon.
Unfortunately cars, gas, repairs, maintenance and especially insurance is expensive.
I ended up buying a Impreza 2.5RS Wagon, and I gotta say it's a great car.
Its cheaper on insurance than a WRX.
It uses less gas.
It doesn't need premium fuel.
It's still really fun to drive (5MT)
It still hauls all my **** and my friends.
It's very reliable.
It is still a boss in the snow.
Sure, I would love a WRX and would love to have that sensation of the turbo kicking in...
But for now, I'm happy with my 2.5RS.

Plus, if I had a WRX now... what would be my motivation when I graduate University?
When I went from my RS to a WRX my insurance was actually cheaper.
bugeyesubie117 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #54
DansSpace
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 157029
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Las Vegas
Vehicle:
'13 Mazdaspeed3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilyPablo View Post
Save your money, pay with your own money. Learn to do life without credit.
Perfect! Life without credit is awesome!

Then you try to buy a house.
DansSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #55
whitegalant
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 287106
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Linthicum, MD
Vehicle:
2007 WRX STi
UGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpik View Post
I'm 16, I'm looking to buy a wrx when I get my license. I get my license in 3 months, and I'll be buying it myself since my bank does loans and credit-building opportunities for minors. How much would a 16 year old pay for insurance if he takes driving school to get his license? My mom's making me take driving school to get my license because she says it will lower insurance costs, even though I have much driving experience for a minor. I make about $700 a month and dont have any other bills to pay. I have had a credit card, not under my parent's name, for about 2 months so that I could build credit. Would I even be approved for a loan for the amount of a 04-07 wrx? Or do I have to build up my credit longer? The lady at the bank didn't give me any straight forward answers at all on how much I would be approved for.
I'll give you credit kid, your punctuation and grammar is better than half of the members of this community. Lol.
whitegalant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #56
Jrmills
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 367182
Join Date: Sep 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hagerstown, Md
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
OBP

Default

I am 22 and on my third car.

My first car was a 99 Pontiac Grand Am, my second was a 00' VW Jetta, and now my 09 wrx.

The Pontiac I got when I was 18 it lasted 1 year and went through 2 motors. I financed $13k for a new Suzuki GSX-R 600 with the help of my grandmother co-signing when I enlisted in the Air Force. Then I got discharged for a bummed knee and got lucky to get a decent after being home for a year and having a job that I was barely able to have spending money after paying my bills. A year later I got my Jetta. Decided after a year of trying to build a turbo vr6 motor that I really wanted an Sti. Looked over them and changed my mind and then became set on a wrx.

In august if this year a totaled my motorcycle and got lucky that I didn't kill myself. I knew how much I could afford and started car shopping. I found my car. Put $2100 down, got a 4yr/40k mile warranty and financed $20k. My payments are $375, and my insurance is $120. So $495 a month. I've also built my credit over 3 years.

As much as a loved my bike. I wish I never had those payments for those 3 years. That's $11k (with insurance) I could have saved and put down on my wrx. However I wouldn't have the credit I have now. Can't build credit with out credit.
Jrmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #57
nationjones
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 363524
Join Date: Jul 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Delawhere
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza wrx

Default

Yea listen to these guys and get a beater. My first car was a 89 honda prelude that I paid 800 bucks for, I worked all summer for it. After getting a good job I finally got my dream car a hawkeye that I paid 13k for with a 12% loan thru a military bank I had a credit card since I was 18 and paid all my bills on time and still had a high %. I pay about 280 a month for the car payment 160 a month for insurance. I don't skip out on any maintenance and go with all top of the line stuff. Oil 25$ for rotella I think I paid 28$ for tranny fluid from the dealer, tires cost me about 600. Just for the tires I got a good deal thru tire rack cost like 120 for mount and balance. Cost's add up and 700 a month won't cut it.
nationjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #58
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nationjones View Post
Yea listen to these guys and get a beater. My first car was a 89 honda prelude that I paid 800 bucks for, I worked all summer for it. After getting a good job I finally got my dream car a hawkeye that I paid 13k for with a 12% loan thru a military bank I had a credit card since I was 18 and paid all my bills on time and still had a high %. I pay about 280 a month for the car payment 160 a month for insurance. I don't skip out on any maintenance and go with all top of the line stuff. Oil 25$ for rotella I think I paid 28$ for tranny fluid from the dealer, tires cost me about 600. Just for the tires I got a good deal thru tire rack cost like 120 for mount and balance. Cost's add up and 700 a month won't cut it.
wow.

you got bent over on that.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #59
slayer44wagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 300834
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
03 wrx wagon
silver

Default

Dude you are in Alaska get a sled!!!
slayer44wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #60
Turd Nugget
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 346017
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Southeast WI
Vehicle:
2013 STi Wagon
Satin White Pearl

Default

I don't understand how insurance can be costing you guys so much... When I was 16 I paid like $40/mo for a 90' Integra, now I pay about $60/mo for a brand new STi and my Supermoto put together, I even think that is a little pricey. I have a terrible driving record, tons of tickets, even had one for 53 OVER the posted limit. Now it's been a few years and I don't speed like I used to (unless I'm on a road trip) but some of you saying you pay $100 or more for insurance sounds crazy to me, get a mini-van.
Turd Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #61
Brent22
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 350169
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lititz, Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Nugget View Post
I don't understand how insurance can be costing you guys so much... When I was 16 I paid like $40/mo for a 90' Integra, now I pay about $60/mo for a brand new STi and my Supermoto put together, I even think that is a little pricey. I have a terrible driving record, tons of tickets, even had one for 53 OVER the posted limit. Now it's been a few years and I don't speed like I used to (unless I'm on a road trip) but some of you saying you pay $100 or more for insurance sounds crazy to me, get a mini-van.
I could pay $20/month for insurance but I prefer to have more than the bare minimum. Point is, you can't compare insurance rates unless you start comparing a ton of variables such as what you're actually covered for, area, income, annual mileage, etc.

I have an excellent driving record (no accidents, 1 ticket in the past 5 years), excellent credit (nearly 800), ~10k miles a year, and I make excellent money. My insurance is about $100 a month. A big negative against me is I'm 23. I've shopped around and that's the best rate I can get. I moved to a higher class neighborhood (not that my other was lower class) and my insurance went up ~8% -_-
Brent22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #62
Dpik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 376618
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Nugget View Post
I don't understand how insurance can be costing you guys so much... When I was 16 I paid like $40/mo for a 90' Integra, now I pay about $60/mo for a brand new STi and my Supermoto put together, I even think that is a little pricey. I have a terrible driving record, tons of tickets, even had one for 53 OVER the posted limit. Now it's been a few years and I don't speed like I used to (unless I'm on a road trip) but some of you saying you pay $100 or more for insurance sounds crazy to me, get a mini-van.
How'd you get to pay $40 for insurance? Some people are telling me id be paying $4-500 even if I take driving school. Is that accurate?
Dpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #63
Dpik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 376618
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer44wagon View Post
Dude you are in Alaska get a sled!!!
Yeah I'm trying to buy a wrx to pull me in one
Dpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #64
Dpik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 376618
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegalant View Post
I'll give you credit kid, your punctuation and grammar is better than half of the members of this community. Lol.
Hahahaha thanks
Dpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:47 AM   #65
Dpik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 376618
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default

My parents are considering paying for all of my insurance. Would it still be a bad idea to try to buy a wrx? How much do you pay, on average, for maintenance/repairs?
Dpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:05 AM   #66
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpik View Post
My parents are considering paying for all of my insurance. Would it still be a bad idea to try to buy a wrx? How much do you pay, on average, for maintenance/repairs?
Yes, it is still a bad idea.

Dude. Recognize that you are NOT ready for a car like this. If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

And you can't base anything off what others spend on repairs. Every single car is 100% different.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #67
CleanImpreza
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 360374
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Vehicle:
2004 Subaru WRX
WRB

Default

if your making $700 a month then you will have enough money in no time to pay with cash, i got a 04 wrx recently with 90k miles, in very good condition for 10k. just save, and always be on the lookout for cars/deals. its your life do what ever you want.
CleanImpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:16 AM   #68
Brent22
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 350169
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lititz, Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpik View Post
How'd you get to pay $40 for insurance? Some people are telling me id be paying $4-500 even if I take driving school. Is that accurate?
I'm not sure how he does it but don't expect to pay anywhere close to that. You can go bare minimum on insurance and save some money but you're really taking a risk.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpik View Post
My parents are considering paying for all of my insurance. Would it still be a bad idea to try to buy a wrx? How much do you pay, on average, for maintenance/repairs?

That's a really hard question to answer in most cases.

Oil - What oil would you run (different costs)? Would you do the work or take it to a garage?

Tires - Would you use the cheapest tires you can find at the risk that they will be total **** (handling, quality, life, etc)?

How far are you traveling? I drive about 80 miles per work day. I end up hitting the pump every 2-3 days (tank isn't completely empty but of course it never should be).

Your biggest cost will probably be the repairs.

A 2 year old (in 2010) Nissan Sentra Spec V (same class as WRX) with 13k miles goes for about $15k. A 6 year old WRX with about 90k miles goes for $18k. That $18k WRX will still probably be a headache. As pointed about before, it will probably be beat on. They are designed to be able to withstand a certain amount of it but everything has its limit. My point being is that if you're looking in the $12k (I don't recall your actual budget) it's going to be ****ed. They hold their resale value which is great if you own one but not if you want to buy one.

Another problem is there are a ton of ways to really mess these cars up. Not changing the oil soon enough can cause Turbo problems (they start in the hundreds to fix), running tires with uneven tread wear or different tires will fry your differential which I think can be in the thousands, launching it hard (just assume they did) will put a hurting on your entire driveline (Thousands of dollars). You get the point.

The only way I would touch an old (~6+ years) and/or high mileage WRX is if I was prepared to spend thousands of dollars to rebuild it if it came to it. Just assume every WRX or similar car in your price range was beat on so you need to be able to drop big money to fix the previous owners mistakes.
Brent22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:21 AM   #69
i_c_the_light
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88618
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: New Zealand
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy
"The Silver Slug"

Default

I make 5x what you make and I couldn't do it off right now.
i_c_the_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:29 AM   #70
Obsidian2007sube
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 363190
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: IL
Vehicle:
2013 Wrx Hatch
Ice Silver

Default

plain and simple , a sports car at 16 and barely with driving experience in any weather... I would have to say no as well. Shoot at 16, I wasn't even able to think about a car. I got my license at 18 with a 1999 ford escort as a primary driver of the car. I wrecked it too on a icy road going home from school. Insurance fixed it and it fixed my insurance rates because of it- (it went up), lol.

my monthly expenses for my car - 2013 wrx hatch
gas (I drive roughly 50 0miles a wk) @3.50gal (500/3.5 = 142.85)
insurance (brought down cause of age and other policies - over 25yrs old) @ $75
72 months @ 3.4% with trade-in and down payment got me down to $400
that's only $75 more per month over my old '07 2.5i impreza
Obsidian2007sube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:31 AM   #71
Dpik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 376618
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanImpreza View Post
if your making $700 a month then you will have enough money in no time to pay with cash, i got a 04 wrx recently with 90k miles, in very good condition for 10k. just save, and always be on the lookout for cars/deals. its your life do what ever you want.
Yeah I rreally dont mind having to save up. I just know it'll be faster for me to get my wrx with a loan.
Dpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:32 AM   #72
Brent22
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 350169
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lititz, Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_c_the_light View Post
I make 5x what you make and I couldn't do it off right now.
You're from New Zealand though. Aren't things a little different there compared to North America? I thought WRX's and such were hella expensive? I know when I went to Italy people crapped their pants when I said I had one because they're like $60k over there.

In America, $42k a year (after taxes) is more than enough to own a new WRX even if you have house payments. Of course I'm assuming you put some money down on the WRX's and get your payments close to $300 a month and your house payments are $1000.
Brent22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:36 AM   #73
Dpik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 376618
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent22 View Post
I'm not sure how he does it but don't expect to pay anywhere close to that. You can go bare minimum on insurance and save some money but you're really taking a risk.





That's a really hard question to answer in most cases.

Oil - What oil would you run (different costs)? Would you do the work or take it to a garage?

Tires - Would you use the cheapest tires you can find at the risk that they will be total **** (handling, quality, life, etc)?

How far are you traveling? I drive about 80 miles per work day. I end up hitting the pump every 2-3 days (tank isn't completely empty but of course it never should be).

Your biggest cost will probably be the repairs.

A 2 year old (in 2010) Nissan Sentra Spec V (same class as WRX) with 13k miles goes for about $15k. A 6 year old WRX with about 90k miles goes for $18k. That $18k WRX will still probably be a headache. As pointed about before, it will probably be beat on. They are designed to be able to withstand a certain amount of it but everything has its limit. My point being is that if you're looking in the $12k (I don't recall your actual budget) it's going to be ****ed. They hold their resale value which is great if you own one but not if you want to buy one.

Another problem is there are a ton of ways to really mess these cars up. Not changing the oil soon enough can cause Turbo problems (they start in the hundreds to fix), running tires with uneven tread wear or different tires will fry your differential which I think can be in the thousands, launching it hard (just assume they did) will put a hurting on your entire driveline (Thousands of dollars). You get the point.

The only way I would touch an old (~6+ years) and/or high mileage WRX is if I was prepared to spend thousands of dollars to rebuild it if it came to it. Just assume every WRX or similar car in your price range was beat on so you need to be able to drop big money to fix the previous owners mistakes.
If I got a wrx I like to think that I would never beat on it. I would be driving to school, work, home, some other short trips. Not too many miles a week id guess. Thanks for the advice
Dpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:52 AM   #74
07STiSpoolin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 375579
Join Date: Dec 2013
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2007 WRX STi
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpik View Post
If I got a wrx I like to think that I would never beat on it. I would be driving to school, work, home, some other short trips. Not too many miles a week id guess. Thanks for the advice
Trust me, you'd beat on it. No one in the world has that much self control to not drive a turbo car the way it's meant to... At least once or twice everytime you get in it.. haha My opinion is that you on your own would have problems financially. Have you ever thought about having your parents get a loan and buying it under their name? And also insuring under their name? Because technically as long as you're on their policy, you can drive ANY car on the policy. If your folks got a loan and all that under their name, and you just pay them monthly it'd be ALOT less than if you did everything under your name. Besides, you're only 16 and this could effect your credit negatively if you went at it alone. My $0.02 is to have your parents finance and insurance it under their name and you just pay them monthly for all the fees. It's gonna be a lot less than $600 for them. And a lot more comfortable for you. Granted your parents will be fond of the idea, of course. I understand your wants, I was there. Good luck.
07STiSpoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:03 AM   #75
Dpik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 376618
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07STiSpoolin View Post
Trust me, you'd beat on it. No one in the world has that much self control to not drive a turbo car the way it's meant to... At least once or twice everytime you get in it.. haha My opinion is that you on your own would have problems financially. Have you ever thought about having your parents get a loan and buying it under their name? And also insuring under their name? Because technically as long as you're on their policy, you can drive ANY car on the policy. If your folks got a loan and all that under their name, and you just pay them monthly it'd be ALOT less than if you did everything under your name. Besides, you're only 16 and this could effect your credit negatively if you went at it alone. My $0.02 is to have your parents finance and insurance it under their name and you just pay them monthly for all the fees. It's gonna be a lot less than $600 for them. And a lot more comfortable for you. Granted your parents will be fond of the idea, of course. I understand your wants, I was there. Good luck.
Thanks a lot man. We've already tried that, my dad got decline for the loan because he's already cosigning 2 new cars, plus his new car. And my mom doesn't trust me lol. I'm really confident that I won't ruin my credit if I do apply for a loan. I wont be moving out for a long time and there's nothing I want to spend my money on more than a car.
Dpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.