Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > NASIOC Official News, Articles and Polls

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
ricochet
Driving Sports TV Staff
 
Member#: 15542
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kirkland, WA
Vehicle:
1991 Legacy Sedan

Exclamation Rally 2013 Update: Block out, CRC in!


CRC: New Series to Watch
Originally, I was just going to make a little post about how Driving Sports TV will be partnering with the same team that produces the ground-breaking Launch Control series to bring complete coverage of the 2014 Canadian Rally Campionship to viewers. Imagine: Launch Control, but for a complete series! (Not just one team.) But, as it turns out, today has been a pivotal day both the American as well as Canadian Rally Championships and it was worthy of posting a round-up of sorts.

As mentioned, Driving Sports TV will bring you epic coverage of the 2014 Canadian Rally Championship. If you didn't follow it before, now you have reason to start! Here's the complete announcement.

You'll be able to watch every episode of the Canadian Rally Series on our mobile and TV apps as well as our web-based VOD. See site for details. Exact times and dates will be announced later.

Rally America
Next, there's Ken Block. Today Rally America announced that Ken Blockenheimer will not be racing for the Rally America Championship. Instead, he'll just be doing a few races as his schedule allows. Blame Gymkhana, blame Rallycross. Either way, the season just won't be the same without him.

Lastly, David Sterckx, the reigning SP-Class champion in the Rally America series also announced that he would not be racing the series this year. He posted this on Facebook earlier today:

"We are very disappointed to announce that we won't be participating at the 2014 Rally America championship to defend our title. Rally and Subaru is our first love but we have to take a break and maybe different directions. We still will do one event this year 'The Oregon Trail Rally' to win it for a 3rd year in row in 3 participations."

How do you think these absences will affect the American series? Who's excited to see some Canadian Championship action?

Update: Sterckx says that following his announcement support has come through for him to compete at Sno*Drift.

*This was posted following a couple beers while waiting for a delayed flight. Please excuse any typos or grammatical errors.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by ricochet; 01-11-2014 at 07:16 PM.
ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:06 AM   #2
Lrn2Corner
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 246224
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Chesapeake
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Sedan
12 Rav4 V6

Default

So you are saying the only real competition that Higgins had is now gone. This may very well end up being a somewhat boring season to keep track of.
Lrn2Corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Block was never really competition for Higgens anyway. One is a rally driver, the other is a paid show off.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
Silverbllt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 246137
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Panama City, Fl
Vehicle:
2008 impreza wrx
stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
Block was never really competition for Higgens anyway. One is a rally driver, the other is a paid show off.
Agreed
Silverbllt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
nnr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 229449
Join Date: Nov 2009
Default

No offense scrappy do, but anyone who can come 7th place at a WRC event is an excellent driver. Ken Block is one of the top rally drivers the US has seen ever. I'm not a KB fan, but no matter how much he spends or earns on or from rallying he is still a very talented driver.

P.S. he gave Higgins a good run for his money last year, and made the championship interesting to watch.
nnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
snowmanwithahat
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328283
Join Date: Aug 2012
Vehicle:
2004 STi
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnr View Post
No offense scrappy do, but anyone who can come 7th place at a WRC event is an excellent driver. Ken Block is one of the top rally drivers the US has seen ever. I'm not a KB fan, but no matter how much he spends or earns on or from rallying he is still a very talented driver.

P.S. he gave Higgins a good run for his money last year, and made the championship interesting to watch.
This. He's a marketing guy too... He knows Gymkhana and GRC get attention and build his brand... even if the Monster brand is a bit of a "bro" brand. He is a good driver, but an aggressive driver, and that's why he loses. He really made this last season great for Higgins
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. When Group N was big here back in 2002, there were probably no less than 5 drivers that could have been on the WRC with more rallying talent than Block. His name and his sponsorship got him into WRC, NOT his talent. He is image over substance.

Block was getting beat by lower class cars. He went the majority of the season with Zero points. I watched him suck. I saw the huge string of DNF's. Scoring A point here and there was probably more to attrition of other drivers at times.

He is not and never has been a credible WRC driver. He never had a prayer at beating Higgens, who is the type of driver Subaru should be sponsoring.

Block should stick to making youtube videos.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
blubug_768
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324962
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Morgan Hill CA.
Vehicle:
02 WRX

Default

I believe that Kenny from the blocks 7th at wrc mexico is the highest any US driver has ever finished in a wrc event, so while he might suck and only be famous for doing doughnuts around a gorilla or whatever he is the best driver the US has ever had. He was the only one to beat Higgins straight up and without him Higgins can probably have a perfect season if his car stays together. It sucks that rally doesn't have a bigger audience, and it doesn't make it better if drivers like pastrana and block leave.
blubug_768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
nnr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 229449
Join Date: Nov 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Well no need to go and get personal. Lol

Actually, I kinda do know what I'm talking about.

Yes sure, when KB was starting out maybe he was getting beat by slower cars etc... But now after having experience he can compete with some of the best drivers in the world. He beat Higgins on numerous occasions. Now by no means am I saying he's the best driver ever, I'm merely stating he's a very good driver, and needs to be given some credit.

I just feel sometimes people give him a hard time because he bought his way into the sport. I think the sport need's guys like him, he makes it interesting, brings publicity to Rallying and just overall is a great thing for Rally. Would I like to have a budget like KB's, for sure! But the fact that I don't won't mean I hold it against the guy.

As for DNF's, well you might have heard of this rally driver called Colin McRae, why don't you check his rally history in detail. You'll loose count of the number of DNF's he had. When you're pushing flat out you're bound to make mistakes and go off. Even the best have those moments.
nnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
nnr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 229449
Join Date: Nov 2009
Default

Back to the subject of the thread!

This is awesome news for Canadian Rally! Launch Control was sweet, if Formula Photographic can pull something even close to that show for the CRC I'll be pumped!
nnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:41 AM   #11
thewhiteknyt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 336644
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Arlington, WA
Vehicle:
GRB WRX
WR Blue

Default

Lookin forward to seeing the full coverage of a series!
thewhiteknyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #12
Lam3
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322979
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Mass
Vehicle:
2012 WRX hatch
Red

Default

Launch control was incredible and got me HOOKED on rally... I'm so pumped for this

Also, while i certainly am new to everything rally, I don't know how you can say Block is a terrible driver. You may not like his style, but he had many high place finishes from last season. In fact he was most of the real competition for Higgins last year, so even if he's not as good he is still adding to the suspense. He may not be consistent, and you may say that means he can't compete for a SEASON of driving, but he can be some scary opposition within any one event. Also not a KB fan, but give the dude some credit lol.
Lam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
Scrappy_do
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 376064
Join Date: Dec 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Nashville, TN
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default

Ken Block is a show-boatin SOB. He is a terrible sport and sucks at winning and even worse at losing. Fame has seriously gone to his head.

But, he is one hell of a driver. I know I couldn't do half the **** he does personally.

It is a bummer to hear he won't be competing in the Rally America series, as many others have said, he was the only real competition the Higgins and the rest of SRT had to compete with. I also agree that its going to be a very boring season to follow. Unless Something happens with Higgins, I foresee him just waxing the field.

I do look forward to watching the CRC though! It will be excited to see some lesser known drivers in the sport.
Scrappy_do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #14
JoshP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 94350
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: S. Maine
Default

Apparently everyone forgot about L'estage. He can compete with Higgins just as well as Block. I'm really disappointed in Block to hear this news, I can't imagine what should be more important to him than trying to win an RA championship. Pathetic really.
JoshP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #15
Scrappy_do
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 376064
Join Date: Dec 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Nashville, TN
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshP View Post
Apparently everyone forgot about L'estage. He can compete with Higgins just as well as Block. I'm really disappointed in Block to hear this news, I can't imagine what should be more important to him than trying to win an RA championship. Pathetic really.
"sponsor obligations"
AKA YouTube videos LOL
Scrappy_do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #16
manys
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265277
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Vehicle:
2005 White
and pretty

Default

Oh no, SCRAPPYDO bred. The end is near

Last edited by manys; 01-17-2014 at 02:20 PM.
manys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #17
czwalga
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 349787
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshP View Post
Apparently everyone forgot about L'estage. He can compete with Higgins just as well as Block. I'm really disappointed in Block to hear this news, I can't imagine what should be more important to him than trying to win an RA championship. Pathetic really.
Yeah, i'd like to see L'estage with higgins budget/car. I think the drivers are about equal.
czwalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #18
bmxhotsauce
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 127099
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
02 IMPERZA WRX
BLACK

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
Block was never really competition for Higgens anyway. One is a rally driver, the other is a paid show off.
thats odd you say that since block won more races last year then higgens on the NARC. get your facts right. only reason higgens won is because he was more consistent then block and was on the BOX more then block but block for more events then higgens.
bmxhotsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #19
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lam3 View Post
Launch control was incredible and got me HOOKED on rally... I'm so pumped for this
Same here
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #20
DMRWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 255298
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Graphite Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lam3 View Post
Launch control was incredible and got me HOOKED on rally...
Any additional coverage is great news....
DMRWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #21
kleinkid
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 27091
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Oak Harbor, Wa.
Vehicle:
2010 STi SE
DGM

Default

Travis Pastrana will certainly challenge Higgins for series title. Also, Block will race in a few RA events.
kleinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #22
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxhotsauce View Post
thats odd you say that since block won more races last year then higgens on the NARC. get your facts right. only reason higgens won is because he was more consistent then block and was on the BOX more then block but block for more events then higgens.
A blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while


Consistency, and skill go hand in hand. Being fast for a brief stint is no sign of talent, more of luck.

Block will never leave a mark in motorsports. ON youtube most definitely. But motorsports, he will never rise to the top of anybodies list of greats.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #23
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinkid View Post
Travis Pastrana will certainly challenge Higgins for series title. Also, Block will race in a few RA events.
I would bet on Pastrana more than block, but even he is not up to the same skill level as higgens.

Maybe if higgen made a video and jumped some stuff and starting wearing his hats too big and flat he would have more 'younger' fans.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #24
Monkey_Boy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 268682
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
0614 06 Baja/14 BRZ
ABP/WRB

Default Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxhotsauce View Post
thats odd you say that since block won more races last year then higgens on the NARC. get your facts right. only reason higgens won is because he was more consistent then block and was on the BOX more then block but block for more events then higgens.
There are strengths and weaknesses on both sides, and your "facts" are not all of the "facts" that have an effect on who wins the championship.

Facts:
+ Higgins was more consistent, and was on the podium more often. This is a significant factor in winning Rally championships around the world.
+ "Consistency" is about having a consistently functional car and staying on the road as much as the mental toughness to stick it out for an entire season.
+ Both have professional teams, but I suspect that Ford put more $$$ into the Block car than Subaru put into the Higgins car.
+ Ford is significantly larger than Subaru in every measurable way--and this is a factor in how much they can put behind a team driving a Fiesta or Focus.
+ Vermont MotorSports is probably the dominant shop in Rally America right now, and this is an advantage for Higgins.
+ Block pours part of his personal fortune into his racing endeavors, something Higgins does not do

What does all of that mean? I think the purest expression of "who is the best driver/car combo" was probably the last race of the season, a winner-take-all scenario where both teams and drivers were at their peak for performance and for pressure to win. In that race, both laid down blistering stage times, and both teams performed incredible service feats, but Higgins came out on top.

And that is, perhaps, the most important fact.
Monkey_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #25
SunDevilSubi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 379329
Join Date: Jan 2014
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default

What is everyone's thoughts on Pastrana returning?
SunDevilSubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.