Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
chriss_07
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 373386
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: fontana
Vehicle:
2007 wrx sti
UGM

Default Anyone running a 280 cam?

Hey guys is there anyone out there running a 280 kelford cam on there ej25 heads? If so, what kind of head work did you get?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
chriss_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
fastblueufo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 212154
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ed@fastperformancetuning.com
Vehicle:
02 billet crank
pauter rods, pt5857, E85

Default

Im running bc 280 with stock valves and stage 1 springs on 205 heads. Only port work is intake gasket match.
fastblueufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
chriss_07
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 373386
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: fontana
Vehicle:
2007 wrx sti
UGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_07 View Post
Hey guys is there anyone out there running a 280 kelford cam on there ej25 heads? If so, what kind of head work did you get?
Have you had any problems? Im planning on running a 280 kelford. But not sure what kind of head work i need.
chriss_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
chriss_07
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 373386
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: fontana
Vehicle:
2007 wrx sti
UGM

Default

Have you had any problems? Im planning on running a 280 kelford. But not sure what kind of head work i need.
chriss_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
Crystal_Imprezav
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84105
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: I'm a Newbie
Vehicle:
2005 Super Slow STi
CGM

Default

Head clearancing and some good springs along with all the other typical stuff.
Crystal_Imprezav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
rexworx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 103232
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: EWG3071KelfordCams276/272
Vehicle:
MY05 GDA,MY04FXT6spd
2.5ltr,PPG,Front LSD,4.44

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastblueufo View Post
Im running bc 280 with stock valves and stage 1 springs on 205 heads. Only port work is intake gasket match.
LOL though they have been proven to make power those are not really 280s...
rexworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:28 PM   #7
rexworx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 103232
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: EWG3071KelfordCams276/272
Vehicle:
MY05 GDA,MY04FXT6spd
2.5ltr,PPG,Front LSD,4.44

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_07 View Post
Have you had any problems? Im planning on running a 280 kelford. But not sure what kind of head work i need.
If you running real cams most likely clearance do to lift of cams, and a valve spring kit minimum depending on lift. Which 280 kelfords are you talking about? how much lift do they have?
rexworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #8
fastblueufo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 212154
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ed@fastperformancetuning.com
Vehicle:
02 billet crank
pauter rods, pt5857, E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexworx View Post
LOL though they have been proven to make power those are not really 280s...
They spec out to 280 on the cam spec although the grind is smaller than some other 280's. I went with bc because they have less overlap than the others. The grind is just better suited to a forced induction cam for street use.

the cosworth 280 is actually 282 and 240* @.50. The bc is spec'd at 280 and 236* @.50. So I dont see how you say a 280 grind cam isnt really a 280 cam. There are alot of different grinds at a certain *. Its still a 280 * cam grind.

Last edited by fastblueufo; 01-14-2014 at 10:05 PM.
fastblueufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #9
chriss_07
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 373386
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: fontana
Vehicle:
2007 wrx sti
UGM

Default

I was recommended a 272 instead of a 280. Any advice?
chriss_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #10
Flat 4 Motorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 295846
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Crook County, Illinois
Vehicle:
WRX FP HTA GT3076R
Sexual Chocolate

Default

What turbo? And you'll have to clearance around the bucket area for the lobe to clear.

Most machine shops can do that. 280 @ what lift? you're going to need to be pushing some air for those to be efficient. I have S3's from GSC and that's for a FP3794R (94lb per min) those are 282 @ 11.3

-Phil
Flat 4 Motorsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #11
chriss_07
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 373386
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: fontana
Vehicle:
2007 wrx sti
UGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat 4 Motorsport View Post
What turbo? And you'll have to clearance around the bucket area for the lobe to clear.

Most machine shops can do that. 280 @ what lift? you're going to need to be pushing some air for those to be efficient. I have S3's from GSC and that's for a FP3794R (94lb per min) those are 282 @ 11.3

-Phil
fp3794r or a BW s300. How do you like your 282? Would you recommend a 280 with an fp37?
chriss_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:38 PM   #12
Flat 4 Motorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 295846
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Crook County, Illinois
Vehicle:
WRX FP HTA GT3076R
Sexual Chocolate

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_07 View Post
fp3794r or a BW s300. How do you like your 282? Would you recommend a 280 with an fp37?

Haven't run it yet, Im still gathering parts to swap my GC.

Have to build the motor yet, UPS fubar'd my pistons when they came back from coating. So its on hold right now till I get some replacements.

have to do some special machining on the heads.

Spec out a trans, axles, drive shaft.

I have a lot of work a head of me. It's definitely a project that's going to be a while.

I have a 400WHP GD too that I drive everyday, so this one I'm taking my time with.

The car has to be stripped caged and re painted. harness swap ect. to get it prepped for the big boy setup.

As for cam recommendation, on the FP3794R the 280 or 282 would be my choice, I have GSC beehives and their one piece valves, but I may switch out the exhaust valves for the new Supertech sodium filled inconel valves, haven't decided yet but I'm steering in that direction. I'm going to see high EGTs so I need an exhaust valve that will take the abuse. I'm going to either anti lag the turbo to spool it or spray it. You're going to need some cams with some lift and duration to keep you in your powerband on that turbo.

If I can get the car ready for Autumn drags I'll be happy but I'm busy with customer stuff and I have another business I'm consulting on so my time is limited.
Flat 4 Motorsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
chriss_07
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 373386
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: fontana
Vehicle:
2007 wrx sti
UGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat 4 Motorsport View Post
Haven't run it yet, Im still gathering parts to swap my GC.

Have to build the motor yet, UPS fubar'd my pistons when they came back from coating. So its on hold right now till I get some replacements.

have to do some special machining on the heads.

Spec out a trans, axles, drive shaft.

I have a lot of work a head of me. It's definitely a project that's going to be a while.

I have a 400WHP GD too that I drive everyday, so this one I'm taking my time with.

The car has to be stripped caged and re painted. harness swap ect. to get it prepped for the big boy setup.

As for cam recommendation, on the FP3794R the 280 or 282 would be my choice, I have GSC beehives and their one piece valves, but I may switch out the exhaust valves for the new Supertech sodium filled inconel valves, haven't decided yet but I'm steering in that direction. I'm going to see high EGTs so I need an exhaust valve that will take the abuse. I'm going to either anti lag the turbo to spool it or spray it. You're going to need some cams with some lift and duration to keep you in your powerband on that turbo.

If I can get the car ready for Autumn drags I'll be happy but I'm busy with customer stuff and I have another business I'm consulting on so my time is limited.

Let me know how you like the GSC beehive. I was planning on running some supertech or ferrea valves- 5-angle job. Dont know how agressive i should do the porting,etc.
chriss_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:49 PM   #14
lee586
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 212926
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sydney, Austrailia
Vehicle:
97 Wrx
Black

Default

man there are so much wrong here, first of all to the morons saying that the bc 280cams are not a true 280 are just talking crap and obviously have no idea on cam specs and how to read them.

BC measure there advised duration @.010
Kelford measure theres @ 0.250mm (.010)

the BC duration measured is @0.50 - 1.28mm
and the kelford duration is measured at @.039 - 1.00mm lift

so basicly you cant even measure these duration the same the less lift you measure from the higher or bigger the duration number will be

if kelford measured there duration from .050 lift the number on there cam card would be even smaller then the bc duration on some spec

so 234@.50thou
then go measure kelford 240@.39 then measure this cam from .50thou and this nuber of 240deg would be decresed higher in the ramp

advised duration will affect where the power in the band will be shifting the power higher for a bigger advised
duration@.50 lift is more of a indication on the hp potential the cam will make and lift well never sacrifice lift for duration imho lift is over rated and so are kelford cams

so for the guys saying that bcs are not a true 280 or 272 to what they spec there cams at you guys need to go learn some more

Last edited by lee586; 01-21-2014 at 12:51 AM.
lee586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:50 AM   #15
kellygnsd
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32669
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Rancho C
Vehicle:
2007 2.34LR, EFR7670
LINK G4 hybrid STi

Default

Advertised duration means nothing. It is just that, advertising. If you really want cam spec info Australian Lee is spot on. You need to know what the manufacturers checking height is and base your decision on that. Cam profile makes a difference too.

Cosworth first advertised my cams as 275s because their advertised duration was from initial opening to fully closed. Its a 272 cam @ .01" with 232 duration @ 1mm.
kellygnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.