Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:46 AM   #1
Siress
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 347295
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza WRX 5DR
dark

Default Various nooblet questions: Amp inputs? OEM crossovers? SRS airbag disable?

Hello guys and gals, thank you for trying to remedy my ignorance.

I'm putting together a tablet install slowly and carefully to make sure I end up with higher quality audio than the factory headunit is putting out. I also want to have a another audio source in case the tablet is removed. Without knowing any better, I am thinking that I can buy a Bluetooth audio receiver to supply the amplifiers inputs directly. However, there's this question of input "levels," and I've yet to find an explanation of these "levels" that isn't hand-wavy. Are we talking voltage? Current?

TL;DR: Since I want to power the amp directly from the tablet/BT receiver/headphone-size DAC, what "level" outputs are these?

I'm assuming they are the lowest level outputs, which I guess makes them "line level." As such, an amp such as the MRV-F300 that only supports "speaker level" inputs would require a line out converter of some sort.

Since I'm keeping the OEM speakers, and rewiring the speakers for the amp install, I'd like to know where the factory crossovers are for the tweeters. Would this happen to be them? I rather doubt it, but I'm not familiar enough to know where else to look.

Also, since installing the amp under the passenger seat requires removing said seat, can I please get some assurances that disconnecting the battery before and during the seats removal is enough to keep the car from disabling any of the SRS airbags once the seat is reinstalled and battery hooked back up? Oh, and is there anything I have to do to prevent the car alarm from going off when disconnecting/reconnecting the battery? That was an issue with my last car.

EDIT:
Alright, so, I verified the RCA inputs on amps are "line inputs" by default, and a "line output" is similar enough to a headphone output that they can be used interchangeably.
Page 1-44 of the manual states "Do not install any accessory (such as an audio amplifier) other than a genuine SUBARU accessory under the front passenger’s seat." Sounds like liability to me. Anyone care to elaborate?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Siress; 02-05-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Siress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
evilspoons
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 321311
Vehicle:
2012 STi 5-door
World Rally Blue

The factory crossover for the tweeters is the capacitor stuck to the back of the tweeter. They send full-range audio to the tweeter and the main speaker (can't really call it a woofer as it plays the high notes too).

As long as you take your battery off and wait a little while before you unplug your seat cable harnesses, and then remember to plug them in again before you attach the battery again, you'll be fine. I installed an amp in my 2012 STi and had both seats out several times without issue.
evilspoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Siress
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 347295
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza WRX 5DR
dark

Thank you for that!

I completed the install over the weekend. I discovered the capacitors, but am still worried about the airbag issue. Luckily, I did as you suggested. Do you know if there is any test or indicator of whether or not I've disrupted any/all of the SRS airbag system? This is my primary concern right now.

I'm going to update this thread with all of the information I gathered during the install. I took a few pictures, as well. Surprisingly, I was able to run the wires through the entire car without having to cut anything but electrical tape. The drivers door rubber conduit took a few tries, but zip ties and foaming glass cleaner, as I learned from a youtube video, worked wonders. Now it's just time to order the one trim piece I damaged.
Siress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
evilspoons
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 321311
Vehicle:
2012 STi 5-door
World Rally Blue

Well, I've been to the dealership once since the install and they didn't say anything about stored codes, so I'm assuming I'm OK.
evilspoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
Rymar
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 310672
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Ltd 5Dr
Dark Gray Metallic

Here's what the factory service manual says:

Quote:
2. Front Seat
A: REMOVAL
CAUTION:
The airbag system is fitted with a backup power supply. After disconnecting the battery ground cable, the airbag may operate if you do not wait for 60 seconds before starting the service of airbag system.
Just make sure that you reconnect all the yellow connectors (these are the airbag ones), before reconnecting the battery, and you won't have any problems with SRS error codes.

BTW, Subarus (unlike Toyotas, for example) don't require any special idle learning procedure after reconnecting the battery. The idle learn process is fully automatic; it will take a few driving cycles before it completes.

However, you will notice that the accelerator pedal feels a bit "looser" after reconnecting the battery, as there is also an automatic re-learn of where the pedal "zero" point is. If you want to speed this up, leave your foot off the pedal, and turn the ignition on and off about 15 times (no need to actually start the car). As a side benefit, this will also get you some weird looks...
Rymar is offline   Reply With Quote