Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
shoesandsocks
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383434
Join Date: Mar 2014
Default ground control install help

hi all i am a bit new here and i am sorry if i missing something but i have run into a lil snag im trying to install a set of GC coilovers that i got but i cant seem to get them on. My main problem at the moment seems to be the gold dust cap on the strut i can seem to get it off, from what little i could find i know it needs to be hammered off but I am at a loss on how to do it. I was just wondering if there is a real write up anywhere on the subject of the actual install i have searched for hours and all i can seem to find is pictures after they have been installed. So if anyone has any helpful tips or what tools you exactly used when you did the install it would be a great help.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
shoesandsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
Aaron'z 2.5RS
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 1026
Join Date: Mar 2000
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Hickigan
Vehicle:
'00 RS/WRX Stg5
'98 RS Stock

Default

Gold dust cap on strut.. ??

You might want to post pics.. if you are talking about what I think you are talking about it most likely turns off rather than being knocked off..
Aaron'z 2.5RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
mhoerath
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 131379
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: richmond, va
Vehicle:
2003 354 ftlb@3k rpm
justablue hatch

Default

call ground control?
mhoerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
shoesandsocks
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383434
Join Date: Mar 2014
Default



It is the gold/chrome top that goes at the up most top of the strut body on kyb struts and unfortunately my work schedule and time zones limit me from calling ground control directly because i cant have my phone on me at work,until Friday i wont be able to reach them. I have shot them an email though hopefully they'll respond soon.
shoesandsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
Scoobiesdoobies
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 321546
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx Limited
OBP

Default

Gc sucks at replying to emails.

On top of that....it looks like u got everything off ok.........whats the problem? And the picture still doesnt reflect a gold dust cap.....
Scoobiesdoobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
shoesandsocks
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383434
Join Date: Mar 2014
Default

Thants a generic picture not my setup per say but on the black strut its the gold top part you see in the picture the instructions say to remove this to slide the sleeves and o rings onto the strut body but doesn't say how
shoesandsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #7
Scoobiesdoobies
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 321546
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx Limited
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoesandsocks View Post
Thants a generic picture not my setup per say but on the black strut its the gold top part you see in the picture the instructions say to remove this to slide the sleeves and o rings onto the strut body but doesn't say how
Ohh the seal collar on the strut body. Thought you were talking about at the top of the piston....

Thats just a seal collar. Theres crimps underneath thats the actual seal. Just take it off with a screw driver and hammer then pound it back on when you slide the sleeves over it.

Gonna need to cut that spring pearch off too.
Scoobiesdoobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
shoesandsocks
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383434
Join Date: Mar 2014
Default

Thanks for the info now when you say hammer the crimps does that mean the holes in the collar i just don't want to damage the strut gonna be a baby in it soon and this is way different than the mustangs I came from
shoesandsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
A-man07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271525
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BagEnd
Vehicle:
07 STi
424whp/382wtq GT3076

Default

You can leave the spring perch on.
A-man07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
Scoobiesdoobies
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 321546
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx Limited
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-man07 View Post
You can leave the spring perch on.
Only if you want to limit the amount of drop you want......the pearch limits how low you can drop it......whats the point of ground controls if you dont plan on lowering it to what looks visually appealing. Which could be lower than the pearch allows you to drop it.....to his visual appeal.......
Scoobiesdoobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #11
Scoobiesdoobies
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 321546
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx Limited
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoesandsocks View Post
Thanks for the info now when you say hammer the crimps does that mean the holes in the collar i just don't want to damage the strut gonna be a baby in it soon and this is way different than the mustangs I came from
however the collar is attached you need to pop it off. Dont pop off the crimped seal on the strut body.....just the seal collar to seat the gc sleeve on.
Scoobiesdoobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #12
shoesandsocks
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383434
Join Date: Mar 2014
Default

you guys are awesome i think i got it figured out when i get home im going to get this taken care of i will say this is easily most helpful auto forum i have ever joined i really appreciate all the help guys
shoesandsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #13
A-man07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271525
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BagEnd
Vehicle:
07 STi
424whp/382wtq GT3076

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobiesdoobies View Post
Only if you want to limit the amount of drop you want......the pearch limits how low you can drop it......whats the point of ground controls if you dont plan on lowering it to what looks visually appealing. Which could be lower than the pearch allows you to drop it.....to his visual appeal.......
Would not lowering past the perch make it lower than the strut is designed for and compromise travel?
A-man07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #14
Scoobiesdoobies
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 321546
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx Limited
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-man07 View Post

Would not lowering past the perch make it lower than the strut is designed for and compromise travel?
You are already compromising travel with any lowering spring you use.
And these are a coilover kit. Designed to make the car lower than designed for....theres a lot of other things you can do to compensate for the lower ride. But travel is not one of them thats why the lower your car is the heavier the springs you need to use to retard the amount of downward travel you have to prevent from bottoming out and riding on the stops.
Scoobiesdoobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #15
A-man07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271525
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BagEnd
Vehicle:
07 STi
424whp/382wtq GT3076

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobiesdoobies View Post
You are already compromising travel with any lowering spring you use.
And these are a coilover kit. Designed to make the car lower than designed for....theres a lot of other things you can do to compensate for the lower ride. But travel is not one of them thats why the lower your car is the heavier the springs you need to use to retard the amount of downward travel you have to prevent from bottoming out and riding on the stops.
Obviously, but cutting off the perch to get the car real low on stock struts isn't the best way to get low home slice. Even if low is all you're after.
A-man07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:07 PM   #16
Millhouse_5
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 269208
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Nova Scotia
Vehicle:
95 JDM STI RA
08 2.5i Sedan

Default

What do you mean lowering the car lots by cutting off the spring perch. There will still have to be something for the ground control collar to sit on. Which unless you grind them smooth will be the base of the spring perch, regardless of whether or not the rest of it is there.

and I don't know about you, but when I compress my suspension my spring perches stay where they are.

However, that being said. Cutting the perches down so that there is only a small bump left will make for a very clean install and allow you to run very wide wheels without hitting the perch. Ride height has nothing to do with that.
Millhouse_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:36 PM   #17
Scoobiesdoobies
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 321546
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx Limited
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-man07 View Post

Obviously, but cutting off the perch to get the car real low on stock struts isn't the best way to get low home slice. Even if low is all you're after.
Dude im not after anything....im posting on the ops thread.....the pearch will contact the tire if the collars are dropped too much......

Whats the point of coilover sleeves then?
If he wants stock ride height.....replace with stock units.

Also who said he was on stock dampers.....he could be stock...or decide to put koni or feal inserts in. Which is a great way to lower your car....

Op didnt say what kind of insert hes putting in.....if its just gc sleeves on stock struts..the dampers wont last very long.

But then u should be questioning him now shouldnt you....

Last edited by Scoobiesdoobies; 03-04-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Scoobiesdoobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:41 PM   #18
Scoobiesdoobies
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 321546
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx Limited
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhouse_5 View Post
What do you mean lowering the car lots by cutting off the spring perch. There will still have to be something for the ground control collar to sit on. Which unless you grind them smooth will be the base of the spring perch, regardless of whether or not the rest of it is there.

and I don't know about you, but when I compress my suspension my spring perches stay where they are.

However, that being said. Cutting the perches down so that there is only a small bump left will make for a very clean install and allow you to run very wide wheels without hitting the perch. Ride height has nothing to do with that.
Ans do you know anything about ground controls? Or how to read? Cutting is in the directions.
The collar sits on the nub to the pearch. You need to cut off the pearch around where the collar sits.

There is a reason coilovers do not have large spring pearches. They limit you on the amount you can drop your car....

The comment wasnt about spring compression. Obviously the pearch stays where its at when the spring is compressed....but if you lower it, the pearch will be sitting below the top of the tire.... not ideal when you have a giant spring pearch.

Edit....thinking about coilovers that adjust differently lol.

Last edited by Scoobiesdoobies; 03-04-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Scoobiesdoobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:28 AM   #19
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 60082
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

Default

It's a press fit cap. Just pop it off. Screwdriver + hammer. Just knock it off.

As for the spring perch of the strut, you don't have to do anything to it. You can just leave it there. Cutting it off only allows you to run a taller tire...if you wanted anything over 26" (or over 27" with a Forester strut).

The lower perch does NOT get in the way of the coilover kit adjuster for any spring 10" or under. The perch on the rear strut will get in the way for 1/2" of the adjustment for a 10" spring forcing 1/2" of preload on a 10" spring. At worst, it fixes the rear cosmetic sag. However realistically you won't be running a stiff enough spring to care. With most springs you will use with any strut option for these cars, you can't run a stiff enough spring. Most springs will run a reasonable level of preload anyways. The only time you should care about cutting the perch is if you're running a spring longer than 10".

The short of it all is leave the perch unless you like making extra work for yourself. You likely aren't running a spring or spring + helper setup that has any necessity for doing so. If you do end up so slammed that there is somehow a problem, you are likely too low anyways and are pretty much just sitting on the bump stops. In this case, there was no real point for buying GC's kit in the first place. There are already a bunch of lowering springs that are cheaper and that will lower the car. GC's coilover kit is mostly useful for people who want stiff setups without lowering the car to which there are virtually no full size spring options. The GC kit is the only way to achieve this.
Back Road Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:46 AM   #20
Scoobiesdoobies
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 321546
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx Limited
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Road Runner View Post
It's a press fit cap. Just pop it off. Screwdriver + hammer. Just knock it off.

As for the spring perch of the strut, you don't have to do anything to it. You can just leave it there. Cutting it off only allows you to run a taller tire...if you wanted anything over 26" (or over 27" with a Forester strut).

The lower perch does NOT get in the way of the coilover kit adjuster for any spring 10" or under. The perch on the rear strut will get in the way for 1/2" of the adjustment for a 10" spring forcing 1/2" of preload on a 10" spring. At worst, it fixes the rear cosmetic sag. However realistically you won't be running a stiff enough spring to care. With most springs you will use with any strut option for these cars, you can't run a stiff enough spring. Most springs will run a reasonable level of preload anyways. The only time you should care about cutting the perch is if you're running a spring longer than 10".

The short of it all is leave the perch unless you like making extra work for yourself. You likely aren't running a spring or spring + helper setup that has any necessity for doing so. If you do end up so slammed that there is somehow a problem, you are likely too low anyways and are pretty much just sitting on the bump stops. In this case, there was no real point for buying GC's kit in the first place. There are already a bunch of lowering springs that are cheaper and that will lower the car. GC's coilover kit is mostly useful for people who want stiff setups without lowering the car to which there are virtually no full size spring options. The GC kit is the only way to achieve this.
Sorry its late for me and im at work. You are 100% correct. Thanks for the correction and op I hope your question is answered.

I just drew a quick diagram at my desk and was like **** I AM wrong lol.

Ill admit it too. Lack of brainstorming and needing a pen and paper to do one of those OH YEA's....lol
Scoobiesdoobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #21
A-man07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271525
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BagEnd
Vehicle:
07 STi
424whp/382wtq GT3076

Default

^^^LOL

I'm sure the OP is long gone after some of these responses.
A-man07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #22
Scoobiesdoobies
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 321546
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx Limited
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-man07 View Post
^^^LOL

I'm sure the OP is long gone after some of these responses.
Ikr....I was totally thinking coilovers even tho ive built a set of koni ground controls.

Like I said. My bad dude haha.

I work swings and it was late lol.
Scoobiesdoobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.