Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 7, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 03:26 AM   #26
MaddMax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9264
Join Date: Aug 2001
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5dr
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
The trip computer MPG is going to be generous. To get an accurate idea, you have to calculate it yourself. Typically the computer readout is 2-3mpg off.
My 2012 WRX's trip computer is consistently off by 0.4mpg.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
MaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:31 AM   #27
rainking
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 380934
Join Date: Feb 2014
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Binghamton, NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Default

I average 32.6 MPG on my 60 mile home from the dealer in my 2015 WRX.
rainking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #28
darksc00by
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 102140
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Marston Science Library
Vehicle:
2015 yoga pants
creepin' is life

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
The trip computer MPG is going to be generous. To get an accurate idea, you have to calculate it yourself. Typically the computer readout is 2-3mpg off.
They must have gotten better. My BRZ and Forester both read within 0.5-1mpg at most of the actual mpg
darksc00by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:42 PM   #29
YukonCornelius
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 112839
Join Date: Apr 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksc00by View Post
You have to remember they went to the FA series motor with Direct Injection.

My mom averages 31mpg mixed in her 2014 FXT with the FA20
Sorry - no.

I have 70% highway driving and I average 23-24mpg. If you look on fuelly, others are similar. 31mpg is a complete lie.
YukonCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:57 PM   #30
Brent22
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 350169
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
Sorry - no.

I have 70% highway driving and I average 23-24mpg. If you look on fuelly, others are similar. 31mpg is a complete lie.
Bold words. Lets not jump to conclusions.

There is usually a large fluctuation on fuel economy. Personally, I get 20mpg with <20% pedal pressure on my highway commute. Others get 23mpg with <50% pedal pressure in their half highway commute. Some report they get close to 28mpg with my car and I'd love to call BS but I have a little more sense than that.

If most people get 24mpg there are probably a few that get 30mpg and others who get 18mpg.
Brent22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:04 PM   #31
YukonCornelius
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 112839
Join Date: Apr 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent22 View Post
Bold words. Lets not jump to conclusions.

There is usually a large fluctuation on fuel economy. Personally, I get 20mpg with <20% pedal pressure on my highway commute. Others get 23mpg with <50% pedal pressure in their half highway commute. Some report they get close to 28mpg with my car and I'd love to call BS but I have a little more sense than that.

If most people get 24mpg there are probably a few that get 30mpg and others who get 18mpg.
lol - really? NO

I'm talking about the forester XT. I don't care who you are and how you drive, 31mpg mixed driving is impossible, yeah I said it. And here is why - think through it logically. You believe a turbo awd vehicle weighing 3500+lbs is getting 31mpg mixed driving? Dude the 2.0 FA is an efficient motor but thats ridiculous. WRX will get better mpg than forester XT though (less weight). Again its a case of someone completely inflating facts (I'd like to see a photo of 1000+ miles from the trip computer on his mom's XT). Fuelly and logic don't lie.
YukonCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:15 PM   #32
fiatlux
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340639
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: CA
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STi Sedan
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikecats View Post
Dunno, the one in my Mazda 3 is dead accurate, tested against my manually-recorded data over a period of 5 years. I'm pretty sure it varies from one manufacturer/model to another.
Mine is consistently high by 1 MPG.
fiatlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:18 PM   #33
Anida
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378282
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Utah
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
lol - really? NO

I'm talking about the forester XT. I don't care who you are and how you drive, 31mpg mixed driving is impossible, yeah I said it. And here is why - think through it logically. You believe a turbo awd vehicle weighing 3500+lbs is getting 31mpg mixed driving? Dude the 2.0 FA is an efficient motor but thats ridiculous. WRX will get better mpg than forester XT though (less weight). Again its a case of someone completely inflating facts (I'd like to see a photo of 1000+ miles from the trip computer on his mom's XT). Fuelly and logic don't lie.
I usually get around 23-25 with my FXT and I do drive it pretty spiritedly The only time I've gotten close to 30mpg was on a 600+ mile road trip doing ~80mph.

I won't go as far to say it's not possible, just that isn't how I WANT to drive
Anida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:02 PM   #34
darksc00by
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 102140
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Marston Science Library
Vehicle:
2015 yoga pants
creepin' is life

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anida View Post

I usually get around 23-25 with my FXT and I do drive it pretty spiritedly The only time I've gotten close to 30mpg was on a 600+ mile road trip doing ~80mph.

I won't go as far to say it's not possible, just that isn't how I WANT to drive
Recall how I stated it was my mom and mixed driving. She doesn't go 80 on the highway. They aren't my words. I can see how it's going, but I say mixed driving and mean 90% highway
darksc00by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:15 PM   #35
Jsamarin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 360456
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
WRB

Default

My 04 wrx gets 29mpg on the highway. I would hope that the new 2.0l is better on gas than the old 2.0l
Jsamarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #36
Brent22
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 350169
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
lol - really? NO

I'm talking about the forester XT. I don't care who you are and how you drive, 31mpg mixed driving is impossible, yeah I said it. And here is why - think through it logically. You believe a turbo awd vehicle weighing 3500+lbs is getting 31mpg mixed driving? Dude the 2.0 FA is an efficient motor but thats ridiculous. WRX will get better mpg than forester XT though (less weight). Again its a case of someone completely inflating facts (I'd like to see a photo of 1000+ miles from the trip computer on his mom's XT). Fuelly and logic don't lie.
Trust me kid, people do it.

I'm not saying you can buy her car and get the same MPG. There are a lot of factors that go in to fuel economy. A lot more than just the type of engine and drive train. Tires, location (temperature, elevation), right foot, etc. They can all be the difference between 20mpg and 30mpg.

I'm sure if she drove your exact route she would get close to 25mpg just as I'm sure if you drove her route you would get close to 30mpg.
Brent22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:59 PM   #37
colin1234567
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 212639
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
WRX= 13/SWP/SOLD
'10 NC2 Miata

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMax View Post
My 2012 WRX's trip computer is consistently off by 0.4mpg.
0.4?!?!? Mine isn't even close! Is that stock or modified?
colin1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:39 PM   #38
YukonCornelius
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 112839
Join Date: Apr 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent22 View Post
Trust me kid, people do it.

I'm not saying you can buy her car and get the same MPG. There are a lot of factors that go in to fuel economy. A lot more than just the type of engine and drive train. Tires, location (temperature, elevation), right foot, etc. They can all be the difference between 20mpg and 30mpg.

I'm sure if she drove your exact route she would get close to 25mpg just as I'm sure if you drove her route you would get close to 30mpg.
No, trust me dad, people don't do it. No I wouldn't get that, and no one else would... I want to see a trip computer with at least 1000 miles, or it didn't happen (actually I know it didn't happen). I've gotten 29mpg doing 65-70mph in flat ohio/Indiana which is honestly ideal conditions to get high mpg. To get 31 MIXED driving I just don't know how that's even possible. And if she drives that crazy slow everywhere, why in the world did she even get an XT.

But here's my point, don't quote 31 mixed driving like its normal, that spreads misleading information. The real world average is 23-25 and I"m sure the wrx average will be 24-26 which is a NICE improvement over the 11-14.
YukonCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:55 PM   #39
Brent22
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 350169
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
No, trust me dad, people don't do it. No I wouldn't get that, and no one else would... I want to see a trip computer with at least 1000 miles, or it didn't happen (actually I know it didn't happen). I've gotten 29mpg doing 65-70mph in flat ohio/Indiana which is honestly ideal conditions to get high mpg. To get 31 MIXED driving I just don't know how that's even possible. And if she drives that crazy slow everywhere, why in the world did she even get an XT.

But here's my point, don't quote 31 mixed driving like its normal, that spreads misleading information. The real world average is 23-25 and I"m sure the wrx average will be 24-26 which is a NICE improvement over the 11-14.
Well boy, go call his Mom and ask for pics (of anything you want). All I know is that I haven't seen Japan but when people tell me it exists I believe them because it's logical enough. There are a ton of variables that go in to fuel economy. You personally got only 5% less but still you say it's flat out impossible to believe that someone got better.

You say not to say "mixed" because it's misleading but when you hear fuel economy "quotes" you need to take them with a grain of salt because there's a massive degree of error. For example, I drive about 85% highway. The other 15% is back roads. Back roads as in miles of straight, slightly curvey roads (5th gear most of the time). Not as good as highway but also not as bad as red lights every 1/8 mile. So me saying "85% highway" can be wayyyy different than someone else saying it. That's why "mixed" is perfectly acceptable.
Brent22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:56 PM   #40
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

31 mpg average in mixed driving with an XT?

It might be physically possible, but the EPA rates the XT at 24 or 25 mpg mixed. Iím skeptical your mom is beating that by over 6 mpg. Maybe at 60 mph on the highway, downhill, with a tailwind, itís possible. But Iím skeptical sheís averaging that in *mixed* driving.

Iím not going to speak in absolutes and say it canít happen, but I would be surprised if that actually turned out to be true.
FaastLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:32 PM   #41
zeitgeist
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378358
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Columbus, OH
Vehicle:
2014 WRX hatch
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
But here's my point, don't quote 31 mixed driving like its normal, that spreads misleading information. The real world average is 23-25 and I"m sure the wrx average will be 24-26 which is a NICE improvement over the 11-14.
I tend to agree. Plus, mixed torpedoes an average MPG pretty daggone quick. And by that I mean * any * mixed.

My drive to work is 25 miles of flat highway and 5 miles stop/go. I swear any average I gained on the outerbelt is negated by the short drives on either side of it.
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:15 AM   #42
darksc00by
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 102140
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Marston Science Library
Vehicle:
2015 yoga pants
creepin' is life

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
But here's my point, don't quote 31 mixed driving like its normal, that spreads misleading information. The real world average is 23-25 and I"m sure the wrx average will be 24-26 which is a NICE improvement over the 11-14.
11-14?

In my cam'd 2.5/2.0 hybrid I got 19mpg city with 850cc injectors. I don't know what you consider normal driving, but I have a feeling you have a lead foot. I have numerous friends that do strictly city driving and get ~23-24mpg.

I guess first time turbo Subaru owners like to remind themselves of the extra power every morning? I am 26.. maybe I drive like a granny.. or a responsible adult?
darksc00by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #43
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX CVT
White

Default

^^^ I think he is implying 2011-2014 models, not that he gets 11-14mpg's...

But that is how I read it...
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #44
thill
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 377200
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: North Pole
Vehicle:
15 WRX
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
^^^ I think he is implying 2011-2014 models, not that he gets 11-14mpg's...

But that is how I read it...
I am driving a 2014 WRX and do mostly city (80/20) driving with a lot of that being stop and go rush hour and am averaging 21.5 MPG on the last two tanks and that has been running the heater and on winter fuel mix with a car that is not fully broken in. I don't drive slow, but I expect to get 23-24 mpg combined this summer no problem. For an AWD car I am happy with that as my BRZ was averaging 26.5 combined with the same commute in the summer. The difference being that engine has to be kept in the 5-7K rpm band consistently to have adequate power whereas the WRX for me is happier 3-5K and I am sure the 2015 is even better lower. I bet I could equal the BRZ combined MPG with the 2015 WRX which is saying something.
thill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #45
geoff5093
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383136
Join Date: Feb 2014
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Goffstown, NH
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
WRB

Default

My average over 30k miles in my BRZ is 32.9, so I HIGHLY doubt you are getting 31 in an XT.
geoff5093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:17 PM   #46
turtleb00st
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 156049
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Orlando FL
Vehicle:
2011 Sti sedan
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrz415 View Post
- For the next week it'll be easy commute in " I " mode ...
but next sunday it'll be in " Sport # " when I follow some
STI / S2K / Z4 n etc around the twisty bay area back roads.

- In " I " mode the boost won't come on till pass 2,000 in revs,
but rather than being kicked in the back its more like a steady surge
of power (very linear ).

-I have yet to use Sport or Sport # , but from what I've read/heard..
In Sport the car will boost you up to 60mph if you use more than 30%
acceleration on the gas pedal ( there is a screen showing how much Acceleration your currently using).

-Sport # ... should be reserved for backroads only IMO since you'll hit
triple digits before you know it.
Lmfao. Dude you know your driving a slow econobox right? S# is slow just like all the other settings

You should have been wot gradually in sport sharp before the first 75 miles with the motor seeing boost.
turtleb00st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:11 AM   #47
Gro Harlem
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 165782
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Gambrills, MD
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limitd Stg2
'02 Stg4 & JSW TDI Stg2

Default

my stage 4 bugeye has got 32mpg on the highway before but i average 22 pure city driving and get in the high-teens if I drive like an ass.

When i take delivery of my 2015 Limited from Clint in a couple of weeks & drive it 1700 miles back home I fully expect to see high 20's low 30's out of the FA20DIT. Someone mentioned 32.6mpg and I believe it with the more efficient direct injection & lower turbo position + twin scroll. Hopefully the gearing allows for decent mpg when cruising.
Gro Harlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #48
-vanguard-
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 379708
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited Nav
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleb00st View Post
Lmfao. Dude you know your driving a slow econobox right? S# is slow just like all the other settings

You should have been wot gradually in sport sharp before the first 75 miles with the motor seeing boost.
How salty are you? How is this a "slow" econombox.

Its a 30,000 dollar car, that is no where near econobox pricing.

An econobox is something under 20K and slow as **** meant for fuel economy with an abysmal interior.

This is a 26K starting vehile that can pretty much **** on more expensive 4 cyls on the market save a few like the S3, CLA AMG and Golf R.

As for the interior, its a night and day difference from the old WRX and new impreza.


Just because the platform is based on the impreza does not make in an "econobox" The extra 10k in performance parts is what distinguishes it.


Go be mad you don't have this car somewhere else. He calls a WRX slow...lol.
-vanguard- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #49
ToneWrx02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239095
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Goteborg, Sweden
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -vanguard- View Post

How salty are you? How is this a "slow" econombox.

Its a 30,000 dollar car, that is no where near econobox pricing.

An econobox is something under 20K and slow as **** meant for fuel economy with an abysmal interior.

This is a 26K starting vehile that can pretty much **** on more expensive 4 cyls on the market save a few like the S3, CLA AMG and Golf R.

As for the interior, its a night and day difference from the old WRX and new impreza.

Just because the platform is based on the impreza does not make in an "econobox" The extra 10k in performance parts is what distinguishes it.

Go be mad you don't have this car somewhere else. He calls a WRX slow...lol.
Truth is its a bad eco car. Its **** for gas.
Hell corvettes get just as good mileage on highway.

All it is, is a beefed up economy car.
Sad but true. For a 2.0l turbo it makes solid power reliably.

300whp reliably is amazing out of a 2.0L with almost no lag. Double the pistons and size you would get a 4.0L v8 with 600whp*cough cough* Jag 4.0 v8 supercharged.
ToneWrx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #50
-vanguard-
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 379708
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited Nav
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneWrx02 View Post
Truth is its a bad eco car. Its **** for gas.
Hell corvettes get just as good mileage on highway.

All it is, is a beefed up economy car.
Sad but true. For a 2.0l turbo it makes solid power reliably.

300whp reliably is amazing out of a 2.0L with almost no lag. Double the pistons and size you would get a 4.0L v8 with 600whp*cough cough* Jag 4.0 v8 supercharged.

economy car
An economy car is an automobile that is designed for low cost purchase and operation. Typical economy cars are small, light weight, and inexpensive to buy. Economy car designers are forced by stringent design constraints to be inventive.

Its is def. not designed for low cost purchase or operation, especially in regards to fuel economy AND the need for premium fuel.

Once the car gets a brand new DIT engine that requires premium gas, its no longer an economy car.

Like I said, being based on the same platform as an economy car does NOT make it an economy car by definition.


What you can say is "hey, this is is based on a economy car." It certainly is not an economy car. $30,000 is not cheap by anyone's standards.


Cheap to me is sub 20,000 like a base civic, focus, fiesta, impreza, corolla, elantra...etc.


Just like the civic Si is not an economy car as much as the acura RSX was.

Its not a premium car ala BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti nor is it an economy car.

It falls in the category of sport compact while the others fall in premium compact.

Theres economy compact, sport compact and premium compact. They are all compacts, but its the former part of the name that designates its price range.

Usually economy will be sub 20K
Sport would be 20-35
and premium start at 35-50.

They are all compacts based on EPA interior volume between 100 and 109 ft^3

Its all in the price bracket.

And finally:

Last edited by -vanguard-; 04-03-2014 at 10:13 AM.
-vanguard- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2015, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.