Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
Mishimoto
NASIOC Manufacturer
 
Member#: 207954
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default Mishimoto 2015 Subaru WRX Video Review Thread!

Hey guys,

If you have been following our other thread, you will find that we recently picked up a 2015 WRX as our next R&D project! Our team is creating a video review series to bring you information about the vehicle as well as answer any questions about the new model.

Mishimoto 2015 Subaru WRX Video Review

Video 1

Our first video provides some general information and explains a few features that stood out as reasonably important. Check it out below!


Video 2

Our second video of the series is now live! This one highlights the turbocharger assembly, intercooler pipe setup and down-pipe. Check it out below!


Video 3

This video provides some general information about the lug pattern and brakes. Check it out!


Video 4

This video provides information regarding the wheels and tires for the 2015 model!


Video 5

This video provides information about the new intake design and it's components!


Video 6

This video provides information about the new intercooler and piping for the 2015 model!


Video 7

This video provides a walk through of the exhaust system from the down-pipe to the mufflers.


Video 8

This video provides information regarding the braking system, wheel bearings, and light discussion about suspension components.


Video 9

This video provides information regarding our new prototype oil cooler!


Video 10

This video provides information regarding our new prototype downpipe, sound clip included!


Video 11

A sneak peek at our intake!


Video 12

Another cool video featuring our intake during the testing process!


Video 13

A quick review of the components included in our intake kit and a few sound clips!



This is also available on our Engineering Blog!


Now, it is up to you to decide what we cover in our next video!
  • What information/images do you want?
  • What components or vehicle systems would you like to know more about?
  • Would you like to know more about the interior?
  • Would you like an in-car video?
Additionally, these videos and information regarding product development can be found on our Engineering Blog!

Thanks in advance for any input, questions or comments!

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Mishimoto; 07-21-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Brandon2k13
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 376571
Join Date: Dec 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Rhode Island
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Launch Edition - WRB

Default

Nice review guys!
Brandon2k13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
sc00ter
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 117767
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2011 STI Sedan
DGM

Default

Yes, thanks! I definitely enjoyed that and looking forward to more.

Judging from what you are seeing, does it appear that a turbo swap with the low mounted turbo will be more or less difficult than with the EJ motors?
sc00ter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
Brandon2k13
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 376571
Join Date: Dec 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Rhode Island
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Launch Edition - WRB

Default

Did a employee purchase it? Or is it owned by the company?
Brandon2k13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
VEGAS WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 362867
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
WRB

Default

Is the intake plastic? Looks like one bad rock and it is done!! I know I hit a huge rock a fe weeks ago and almost destroyed my mid pipe. Plastic would be destroyed.
VEGAS WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
Type2
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 200436
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Lawrence, KS
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Black

Default

Fantastic review! More more more!
Type2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #7
Joshfl420
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353788
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: S Florida
Vehicle:
10 WRX
BMP

Default

x2 on low mounted turbo question by sc00ter
Joshfl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #8
i_c_the_light
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88618
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: New Zealand
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy
"The Silver Slug"

Default

Do a comparison of electrical components from the FA vs EJ. Sensors and the like. See how many are shared (therefore compatible) between the two.
i_c_the_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:42 PM   #9
dead_eye
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 308265
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PHL
Vehicle:
2008 WRX

Default

How does the CVT perform?
dead_eye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
Mishimoto
NASIOC Manufacturer
 
Member#: 207954
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon2k13 View Post
Nice review guys!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
Yes, thanks! I definitely enjoyed that and looking forward to more.

Judging from what you are seeing, does it appear that a turbo swap with the low mounted turbo will be more or less difficult than with the EJ motors?
Access to the turbo is extremely simple now. A few under-trays and a skid plate cover the bottom of the vehicle. Once removed, the turbo and its components are easily accessed. Check it out below!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon2k13 View Post
Did a employee purchase it? Or is it owned by the company?
This is a company owned vehicle! We also have a 2003 WRX wagon and a 2010 STI. You could say we like our Subaru's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGAS WRX View Post
Is the intake plastic? Looks like one bad rock and it is done!! I know I hit a huge rock a fe weeks ago and almost destroyed my mid pipe. Plastic would be destroyed.
The unit is rather well protected with a very solid skid plate, but yes it is plastic. We will discuss the intake a bit further in our next video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type2 View Post
Fantastic review! More more more!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshfl420 View Post
x2 on low mounted turbo question by sc00ter
See basic answer above! We will provide some additional insight in our next video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_c_the_light View Post
Do a comparison of electrical components from the FA vs EJ. Sensors and the like. See how many are shared (therefore compatible) between the two.
Thanks! Adding this to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_eye View Post
How does the CVT perform?
Great question! Also added to our running list!

Questions/Discussions For Next Video

  1. General CVT review
  2. Electrical component comparison (FA vs. EJ)
  3. Front-mounted turbo discussion
  4. Wheels and tires
  5. Intake routing and construction
Keep them coming guys!
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #11
Sinsear
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 373908
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Pearl White

Default

How easy would it be to convert to a (much larger) front-mount intercooler?
Sinsear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #12
awd1927
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 118667
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Valley Stream, NY
Vehicle:
2002 WRX (4EAT)
ASPEN WHITE

Default

Subscribed
awd1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
jlangholzj
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 377640
Join Date: Jan 2014
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Lincoln, NE
Vehicle:
2014 WRX hatch
DGM

Default

I waded through the debacle of the other thread just to see it moved...

couple questions:

My experience with CVT's in the auto world is fairly limited, this can be mainly attributed to the fact that they're a relatively new thing. However I have worked on sleds for a majority of my life and had lengthy discussions with other FSAE alumni about the turbo-single e85 charge cooled CVT monster that would be AMAZING So question:
  • have you guys dug into the actual CVT much? In a traditional sense they can be light weighted and tuned (note to others, the CVT itself can be tuned) to match performance goals on the vehicle. Faster engagement, rpm hold, primary and secondary points, etc....I'm interested to hear how the subaru CVT actually works and what you guys can do with it.
  • I'm assuming that the CVT is part traditional mechanical control with electronic aid? I'd be interested to see if there is electronic control what can be done in the way of tuning launches and other things. Note: think of a hydrostat on a tractor (yeah I'm a farm kid, deal with it ). You can hold the RPM and engine load at a specified target to maintain output torque and then change your engagement for optimal power delivery.
  • My generation of the WRX uses the AVCS as the "Differential", supplying brakes to the slipping corner to transfer power to the other side. Pseudo-diff kinda thing. I'm assuming subaru took this approach as well? I'd be interested to see if they included a rear differential or not.
Also statement:

Good grab on the CVT. I'm hoping with some transmission tuning that this has the capability to be an AutoX MACHINE. Testing the limits early and learning what will break is a phenomenal idea. Auto transmission have the reputation to be "weaker" in their stock form but once you change some of the internals they can hold insane amounts of power (90's FORD auto's can be built to hold 1000 wHp pretty easily).

Excited to see what you guys can do with this

Last edited by jlangholzj; 04-02-2014 at 12:12 PM.
jlangholzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #14
wumbo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 352995
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: reston va
Vehicle:
2002 wrx wagon
psm

Default

subbed!
wumbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #15
DeadGeneration
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313753
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

in for the win
DeadGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:09 PM   #16
mrz415
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334988
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru WRX(CVT)
Ice Silver Metallic (ISM)

Default

I am not sure how far the underpan goes...
but should I opt for a Fumoto quick drain valve for an EZ oil change ?
or should I OPT for a magnetic one ?

and ohh ya ... now much Torque do I use on the drain plug ?
mrz415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #17
Gro Harlem
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 165782
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Gambrills, MD
Vehicle:
2012 JSW TDI Stage 2
02 stg4 & 15' WRX Limited

Default

Awesome video, haven't seen anything like this yet, thank you for this!

The factory endlinks look MUCH more beefier than before. I have a few questions/requests for you guys:

1: You mention the rear swaybar is the same as the previous gen cars, have you taken it off to confirm this? Are the bushing bracket locations the same?

2: Can you take the engine cover off and get some close-ups on the motor & how the intercooler plumbing is routed? Is a FMIC going to be simpler or more difficult than the EJ motors?

3: What products are you planning on developing for this new generation WRX/STI?

Request: Video review of your overall impressions of the car would be cool with some comments regarding the driving dynamics, interior quality, interior noise, stereo sound, handling, power, CVT performance, etc. IMO having that sort of review coming from shops who've tuned these cars for years is more valuable than hearing it from some journalist who has no clue what changes have been made to the model. It is quite apparent you guys know a great deal about the previous models so I'd personally love to hear what your overall impressions of the car are.
Gro Harlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:53 AM   #18
i_c_the_light
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88618
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: New Zealand
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy
"The Silver Slug"

Default

Are you guys going to do a full strip and rebuild on the engine?
i_c_the_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #19
WestLoopWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 386574
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago, IL
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited CVT
Red

Default

First post here while I await my WRX (June...). Two questions:

1. Interior: Past years had a foldable center armrest in the back, and the Aussie spec 2015 WRXs I've seen do have a foldable armrest. But, US pics (mostly pre-production) don't show an armrest. So did USDM lose the rear armrest in 2015?
2. Drivetrain: Supposedly the CVT has the VTD version of AWD. I've seen differing info on whether that means a rear LSD. Is the rear diff open?

So glad someone is going to be seeing what can be done with the CVT. Thanks guys!
WestLoopWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #20
Mishimoto
NASIOC Manufacturer
 
Member#: 207954
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinsear View Post
How easy would it be to convert to a (much larger) front-mount intercooler?
The task of converting to a front-mount intercooler appears to be around the same difficulty as previous models. The hot-side charge pipe will be much shorter while the cold-side pipe will be relatively similar to the previous generation.

Check out the images below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd1927 View Post
Subscribed
Thanks! We should have our second video up either late today or early tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlangholzj View Post
I waded through the debacle of the other thread just to see it moved...

couple questions:

My experience with CVT's in the auto world is fairly limited, this can be mainly attributed to the fact that they're a relatively new thing. However I have worked on sleds for a majority of my life and had lengthy discussions with other FSAE alumni about the turbo-single e85 charge cooled CVT monster that would be AMAZING So question:
  • have you guys dug into the actual CVT much? In a traditional sense they can be light weighted and tuned (note to others, the CVT itself can be tuned) to match performance goals on the vehicle. Faster engagement, rpm hold, primary and secondary points, etc....I'm interested to hear how the subaru CVT actually works and what you guys can do with it.
  • I'm assuming that the CVT is part traditional mechanical control with electronic aid? I'd be interested to see if there is electronic control what can be done in the way of tuning launches and other things. Note: think of a hydrostat on a tractor (yeah I'm a farm kid, deal with it ). You can hold the RPM and engine load at a specified target to maintain output torque and then change your engagement for optimal power delivery.
  • My generation of the WRX uses the AVCS as the "Differential", supplying brakes to the slipping corner to transfer power to the other side. Pseudo-diff kinda thing. I'm assuming subaru took this approach as well? I'd be interested to see if they included a rear differential or not.
Also statement:

Good grab on the CVT. I'm hoping with some transmission tuning that this has the capability to be an AutoX MACHINE. Testing the limits early and learning what will break is a phenomenal idea. Auto transmission have the reputation to be "weaker" in their stock form but once you change some of the internals they can hold insane amounts of power (90's FORD auto's can be built to hold 1000 wHp pretty easily).

Excited to see what you guys can do with this
Sorry for the redirection! We wanted a new thread to house all of these videos we intend to create. Thank you for the comments. We are starting with a focus on proper cooling for the CVT transmission. We have had the WRX in the shop for nearly a week and parts are beginning to come off for development (You may notice this in our video today). It is unlikely that we will develop internal CVT components or software upgrades. I certainly see the benefits of properly tuning the transmission. As it sits in stock form, shifts are reasonably precise but there is definitely some room for improvement. Your AX monster sounds like quite an idea! Thanks for the suggestions, we will be touching on the CVT in a future video and I will be sure to include differential information as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumbo View Post
subbed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGeneration View Post
in for the win
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrz415 View Post
I am not sure how far the underpan goes...
but should I opt for a Fumoto quick drain valve for an EZ oil change ?
or should I OPT for a magnetic one ?

and ohh ya ... now much Torque do I use on the drain plug ?
The choice is entirely up to you! It appears as though there is room for the Fumoto, and you can retain the factory engine undertray/skid plate. Torque spec should mirror previous generations which is 32.5 lb/ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gro Harlem View Post
Awesome video, haven't seen anything like this yet, thank you for this!

The factory endlinks look MUCH more beefier than before. I have a few questions/requests for you guys:

1: You mention the rear swaybar is the same as the previous gen cars, have you taken it off to confirm this? Are the bushing bracket locations the same?

2: Can you take the engine cover off and get some close-ups on the motor & how the intercooler plumbing is routed? Is a FMIC going to be simpler or more difficult than the EJ motors?

3: What products are you planning on developing for this new generation WRX/STI?

Request: Video review of your overall impressions of the car would be cool with some comments regarding the driving dynamics, interior quality, interior noise, stereo sound, handling, power, CVT performance, etc. IMO having that sort of review coming from shops who've tuned these cars for years is more valuable than hearing it from some journalist who has no clue what changes have been made to the model. It is quite apparent you guys know a great deal about the previous models so I'd personally love to hear what your overall impressions of the car are.
Thanks for the comments, questions and requests.

1. We have yet to remove the sway bar, however we can confirm that the bushing bracket locations are the same. This sway bar should fit previous models without issue.

2. Absolutely! Check out the images below! Piping will be slightly easier thanks to the turbo location. The hot-side pipe will be relatively short while the cold-side will be very similar to the previous generation.












3. We have a huge list of products our team is working on. We will begin a build thread of some sort for each of them. More information on this soon!

This is actually already on our list of items to cover. We are hoping to put together as many of these videos as possible. Jason (In the first video) is a very knowledgeable Subaru enthusiast and has a ton of experience with the previous generation. He will be able to provide a great comparison on these points. Thank you very much for the recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_c_the_light View Post
Are you guys going to do a full strip and rebuild on the engine?
At this time we do not have plans to dive into any internal engine components. Our focus is currently on external parts.

Thanks again everyone! Stay tuned for our second video!
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #21
Mishimoto
NASIOC Manufacturer
 
Member#: 207954
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLoopWRX View Post
First post here while I await my WRX (June...). Two questions:

1. Interior: Past years had a foldable center armrest in the back, and the Aussie spec 2015 WRXs I've seen do have a foldable armrest. But, US pics (mostly pre-production) don't show an armrest. So did USDM lose the rear armrest in 2015?
2. Drivetrain: Supposedly the CVT has the VTD version of AWD. I've seen differing info on whether that means a rear LSD. Is the rear diff open?

So glad someone is going to be seeing what can be done with the CVT. Thanks guys!
Welcome! Thanks for posting in our thread. Our limited does not feature a rear fold-able arm rest.



Interesting question regarding the LSD rear, we will check into and answer this in our video series!

Thanks
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #22
Mishimoto
NASIOC Manufacturer
 
Member#: 207954
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLoopWRX View Post
First post here while I await my WRX (June...). Two questions:

1. Interior: Past years had a foldable center armrest in the back, and the Aussie spec 2015 WRXs I've seen do have a foldable armrest. But, US pics (mostly pre-production) don't show an armrest. So did USDM lose the rear armrest in 2015?
2. Drivetrain: Supposedly the CVT has the VTD version of AWD. I've seen differing info on whether that means a rear LSD. Is the rear diff open?

So glad someone is going to be seeing what can be done with the CVT. Thanks guys!
We just confirmed your second question as well. The WRX has an open rear differential.
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #23
-vanguard-
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 379708
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited Nav
DGM

Default

Zero ****s are given about back seat passengers in the WRX.

No arm rest, no vents. Seat belts and cup holders lol.
-vanguard- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #24
Pre
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle:
CEO- Wagon Mafia

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -vanguard- View Post
Zero ****s are given about back seat passengers in the WRX.

No arm rest, no vents. Seat belts and cup holders lol.
But hey man, there is more foot room now!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will hold your tires and jack!
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #25
KFREX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330609
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Vehicle:
2004 Subaru WRX
Java Pearl Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gro Harlem View Post
Request: Video review of your overall impressions of the car would be cool with some comments regarding the driving dynamics, interior quality, interior noise, stereo sound, handling, power, CVT performance, etc. IMO having that sort of review coming from shops who've tuned these cars for years is more valuable than hearing it from some journalist who has no clue what changes have been made to the model. It is quite apparent you guys know a great deal about the previous models so I'd personally love to hear what your overall impressions of the car are.
Agreed!!

I am going to be in the market for a WRX or STI when the 2016's start rolling out next year. I drive in LA traffic every morning so right now I am waiting on some more thorough testing of the CVT to see if it would be a worthwhile choice.

But then again, the CVT Limited Rex with all my options sits around the same price as the Base STI... So there's that... Lol

Either way I am stoked to see Mishimoto starting develop products for the new cars, I would be super interested in some silicone hose kits & some catch can setups to say the least
KFREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.