Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday September 29, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #51
Redeemed77
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 378138
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
CWP

Default

Man...loving these video's! Great job, keep up the great work!

24 pounds huh, THANK YOU....while I am aware that cutting weight does not always translate to better ride, handling, acceleration, and fuel economy gains (it depends on where the weight on the rim is at as it was explained to me) I found several 18's that are both affordable, good looking, and significantly lighter than the stock 17's.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Redeemed77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #52
Traumlik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 248805
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Paradise, BC
Default

I am seriously hoping this 18x9.5 TRM MT1 wheel will fit the new WRX. 18x9.5 and still only 19 lbs!

I'm not gonna diss Subaru here, because like I said, at least it is an easy problem to fix, and they've got so many things right on this car.
Traumlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #53
BURUTOO
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 349400
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Sure thing! Check it out in the image below. A few things to note, the plug head is 14mm and is accessible without removing the under-tray. Check it out below.
Is this the drain bolt identified here:
http://i.imgur.com/39rtMbM.png

Great videos guys keep em coming!
BURUTOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #54
mrz415
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334988
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru WRX(CVT)
Ice Silver Metallic (ISM)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post

Yes, the LED lights function as daytime running lights.




Can you folks take a picture of the LED headlights at night..
I have the premium w/base halogens only but is considering buying
the oem LED headlights.

A picture of the lights basting out at night ?
( think 3rd person view kinda like GTA5 so
I have an idea how far/wide the beam will spread)
mrz415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #55
ilikecats
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 386096
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Vehicle:
2007 Mazda3

Default

Bottom line: can I fit 16" steelies for winter tires? From the video it doesn't sound like I can.
ilikecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #56
Mishimoto
NASIOC Manufacturer
 
Member#: 207954
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumlik View Post
Thanks for the scoop on the wheel+tire combo. 24 lbs for the stock wheel (17x8 55ET) seems rather heavy! But at least that is an easy problem to remedy.
Not a problem, thanks for watching! A touch on the heavy side, but like you said this is easily solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed77 View Post
Man...loving these video's! Great job, keep up the great work!

24 pounds huh, THANK YOU....while I am aware that cutting weight does not always translate to better ride, handling, acceleration, and fuel economy gains (it depends on where the weight on the rim is at as it was explained to me) I found several 18's that are both affordable, good looking, and significantly lighter than the stock 17's.
Awesome, thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumlik View Post
I am seriously hoping this 18x9.5 TRM MT1 wheel will fit the new WRX. 18x9.5 and still only 19 lbs!

I'm not gonna diss Subaru here, because like I said, at least it is an easy problem to fix, and they've got so many things right on this car.
They sure did! We are finding more and more interesting things on this car each day our team pulls more parts off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURUTOO View Post
Is this the drain bolt identified here:
http://i.imgur.com/39rtMbM.png

Great videos guys keep em coming!
Thanks for doing this! We have many more videos on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrz415 View Post
Can you folks take a picture of the LED headlights at night..
I have the premium w/base halogens only but is considering buying
the oem LED headlights.

A picture of the lights basting out at night ?
( think 3rd person view kinda like GTA5 so
I have an idea how far/wide the beam will spread)
Absolutely! The car is currently a bit dismantled. As soon as we have things back together we are planning to perform some in-car driving reviews and I can certainly get this picture for you!

Thanks for following the thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikecats View Post
Bottom line: can I fit 16" steelies for winter tires? From the video it doesn't sound like I can.
No, Unfortunately 16" steelies are not going to fit due to brake clearance.

We will be posting our next video tomorrow! This one will highlight in detail the components of the intake system for the 2015! Stay tuned.
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #57
Traumlik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 248805
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Paradise, BC
Thumbs up

^^ Can't wait! Thank you again for the awesome and informative videos!
Traumlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #58
Mishimoto
NASIOC Manufacturer
 
Member#: 207954
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumlik View Post
^^ Can't wait! Thank you again for the awesome and informative videos!
No problem! We have a blast putting these videos together. One more for this week which will be posted up shortly.
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #59
Mishimoto
NASIOC Manufacturer
 
Member#: 207954
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default

Hey guys,

Check out part 5 of our video series which features the new intake design, routing, and basic components.

We also have a small gallery of images on our Engineering Blog!


Feel free to request any images or information, our team is still hard at work removing components for R&D!

Thanks
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #60
Traumlik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 248805
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Paradise, BC
Default

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the "milk jug" for? And what advantages / disadvantages might there be in removing it?
Traumlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #61
Gallo2011
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 268310
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Kali
Vehicle:
2011 SSM STI saloon
Church!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumlik View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the "milk jug" for? And what advantages / disadvantages might there be in removing it?
The "milk jug" acts as a silencer. Take it off and you'll hear the turbo spooling more easily. Aftermarket intakes do not have the milk jug and are louder for that reason.
Gallo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #62
snow blower
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 101961
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Yucaipa, California
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Default

Any harm in doing that? Like to hear the turbo, don't like messing things up (especially on a new car)
snow blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #63
Redeemed77
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 378138
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
CWP

Default

Holy restriction! There has to be a better solution than that in the aftermarket.
Redeemed77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #64
foof247
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 290623
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Detroit Metro, Michigan
Vehicle:
2015 Wrx
Dark grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed77 View Post
Holy restriction! There has to be a better solution than that in the aftermarket.
I wish I'm worried about voiding warranty though
foof247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #65
Redeemed77
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 378138
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foof247 View Post
I wish I'm worried about voiding warranty though
I'm new to modding so I can't say for sure, but on my G8 forum they referenced some lawsuit or court judgment that really gives protections against stuff like a intake causing the tranny to fail for example.

Now, if your aftermarket part can be shown to directly cause the issue then you would be screwed at that point. For example, an aftermarket radiator cracking and causing the engine to overheat.

Intake and exhaust I wouldn't worry about, but opening up the engine or flashing the ECU would be a risk.
Redeemed77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #66
foof247
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 290623
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Detroit Metro, Michigan
Vehicle:
2015 Wrx
Dark grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed77 View Post
I'm new to modding so I can't say for sure, but on my G8 forum they referenced some lawsuit or court judgment that really gives protections against stuff like a intake causing the tranny to fail for example. Now, if your aftermarket part can be shown to directly cause the issue then you would be screwed at that point. For example, an aftermarket radiator cracking and causing the engine to overheat. Intake and exhaust I wouldn't worry about, but opening up the engine or flashing the ECU would be a risk.
Yea the ecu flash or tune is the part that keeps me away because subaru needs a tune for every little touch up. That's why I'm getting an spt exhaust and sticking with it for at least 2 years.
I'm sure they will have an spt intake too to reduce restriction as well.

Although the exhaust doesn't really do too much except noise level, I'm running catless right now so it'll be different lol
foof247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #67
Redeemed77
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 378138
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foof247 View Post
Yea the ecu flash or tune is the part that keeps me away because subaru needs a tune for every little touch up. That's why I'm getting an spt exhaust and sticking with it for at least 2 years. I'm sure they will have an spt intake too to reduce restriction as well. Although the exhaust doesn't really do too much except noise level, I'm running catless right now so it'll be different lol
Someone with more knowledge can chime in, but Im confused with what an intake can or can not do honestly. On the G8 board it was shown by dyno's that certain intakes with a tune were making great gains 20HP+ yet Ive seen those youtube guys on a dyno with an old Skyline make ZERO HP on a dyno.

The jury is out on this...
Redeemed77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #68
foof247
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 290623
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Detroit Metro, Michigan
Vehicle:
2015 Wrx
Dark grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed77 View Post
Someone with more knowledge can chime in, but Im confused with what an intake can or can not do honestly. On the G8 board it was shown by dyno's that certain intakes with a tune were making great gains 20HP+ yet Ive seen those youtube guys on a dyno with an old Skyline make ZERO HP on a dyno. The jury is out on this...
Hmm that is interesting. I honest wouldn't know but if I were to guess maybe the engine size comes into play or the amount of cylinders
foof247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #69
epv
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 381966
Join Date: Feb 2014
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foof247 View Post
Hmm that is interesting. I honest wouldn't know but if I were to guess maybe the engine size comes into play or the amount of cylinders
An aftermarket intake can only, in terms of performance, change the amount of air that an engine gets. If the engine is already at max fuel flow and has the correct amount air, an intake will do nothing. If you just slam an intake on a car without a retune for the extra air, you will do nothing or hurt the car.

Replacing the intake could be worth while as an aftermarket part if there is enough headroom in the engine to take advantage of the extra air. Or it could take half a dozen other parts being changed out before it starts producing gains. We don't know yet.
epv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #70
RallyDrivR13
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 356785
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Moon
Default

Mishimoto KICKS AZZ, I will be using all the products they have available for my 2015 STI
RallyDrivR13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #71
Redeemed77
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 378138
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
CWP

Default

With what these guys are doing here for the board I agree, I like to reward them with a purchase if they come up with something that gives good gains at reasonable cost.
Redeemed77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #72
mikereiser
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 291941
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lake hopatcong, nj
Vehicle:
2010 Wrx sedan
Silver

Default

I don't know how deep/where you guys are digging into this car, but Im curious about the design/quality of the oil pickup.

My intentions with my 2015 is to keep it pretty stock, just an accesport and probably a downpipe, but I also want to fix any reliability issues with it. I'm curious if 1) it's the same part that we see on the ej255/ej257 and can use aftermarket ones already available and 2) if different, are they still using the flux/braze design that is known to fail

I appreciate the videos, some very good information.
mikereiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #73
Redeemed77
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 378138
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
CWP

Default

^excellent question
Redeemed77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #74
MaddMax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9264
Join Date: Aug 2001
Vehicle:
2016 BMW M235i 6MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo2011 View Post
The "milk jug" acts as a silencer. Take it off and you'll hear the turbo spooling more easily. Aftermarket intakes do not have the milk jug and are louder for that reason.
The previous gen WRX doesn't have a resonator/silencer. It's pretty clear that Subaru wanted to up the refinement of the WRX and make the STI far more raw (ie super stiff suspension, lightning quick streering, intake sound tube routed to cabin, etc.).
MaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #75
forester06x
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 327942
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta/Georgia Tech
Vehicle:
'77 Super Beetle
'06 supercharged Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMax View Post
intake sound tube routed to cabin, etc.).
This is not "raw". Raw is no sound deadening, then you really hear the intake!
forester06x is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2016 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2016, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.