Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #26
WRXHillClimb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206907
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Abq, NM
Vehicle:
2014 EvoX GSR
2005 S2000 Track Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Chemical View Post
Number of times my SRT has been in the shop with issues in the last 6 years: 0
Number of miles: 140,000 (135,000 miles modded with straight pipes, CAI, and predator tune)
Number of DIY repairs: 1 tail light bulb replacement, 1 lift gate gas strut

F-ing bullet proof.

Compared to my 9 year run with my previous '04 STi (100% stock the entire time):
@1,000 miles - Complete catback exhaust replacement due to rust
@2,000 miles - Heat shield replacement
@2,900 miles - Clutch pedal replacement due to loud squeak
@16,000 miles - ECU replacement due to cylinder #3 misfires
@30,000 miles - A/C compressor replacement
@40,000 miles - Clutch replacement
@40,500 miles - Oh, hey, clutch pedal squeak is back
@50,000 miles - A/C compressor #2
@60,000 miles - Sold (still miss it even with the above issues)

Just sayin'. The Dodge/Chrysler stigma is quite unfounded with the SRT line.
It's unfounded with the NEON srt line for sure, the srt-4 was and still is the only dodge I would not try to give away asap if it was given to me. It is solid, but I wouldn't trust another srt 4 out of the gate just because it carries the same nameplate. It would have to prove itself first before it earned my respect.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
WRXHillClimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #27
a2cpc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10139
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indy/Broad Ripple
Vehicle:
9&11 WRX 5Dr
DGM/Silver

Default

Please be a coupe, please be a coupe, please be a coupe!
a2cpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:36 AM   #28
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Chemical View Post
Number of times my SRT has been in the shop with issues in the last 6 years: 0
Number of miles: 140,000 (135,000 miles modded with straight pipes, CAI, and predator tune)
Number of DIY repairs: 1 tail light bulb replacement, 1 lift gate gas strut

F-ing bullet proof.

Compared to my 9 year run with my previous '04 STi (100% stock the entire time):
@1,000 miles - Complete catback exhaust replacement due to rust
@2,000 miles - Heat shield replacement
@2,900 miles - Clutch pedal replacement due to loud squeak
@16,000 miles - ECU replacement due to cylinder #3 misfires
@30,000 miles - A/C compressor replacement
@40,000 miles - Clutch replacement
@40,500 miles - Oh, hey, clutch pedal squeak is back
@50,000 miles - A/C compressor #2
@60,000 miles - Sold (still miss it even with the above issues)

Just sayin'. The Dodge/Chrysler stigma is quite unfounded with the SRT line.
I was under the impression that Subaru exhausts were stainless steel...at least all 6 of mine were. And you live in florida? Hardly the salted road capital of the world.

How the hell did your heat sheild need replacement? Did you drop a log on it? Was it improperly installed from the factory. I mean heat sheilds are a piece of stamped metal. They do not really fail.

I am sorry for your other issues, but you are trying to build a case that a dodge product is more reliable than a Subaru... You are never going to gain any traction.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #29
Genericuser1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378822
Join Date: Jan 2014
Vehicle:
2011 M3
Alpine White

Default

Every car I've owned domestic, Japanese, German has been more reliable than the Subaru I owed. Heck even another Subaru in the family has been more reliable.
Genericuser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #30
WRXHillClimb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206907
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Abq, NM
Vehicle:
2014 EvoX GSR
2005 S2000 Track Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genericuser1 View Post
Every car I've owned domestic, Japanese, German has been more reliable than the Subaru I owed. Heck even another Subaru in the family has been more reliable.
08/09 wrx by chance?

While we're at it, my gf's sister's rex (the one that got a brand new engine from the bearing failure) just had a turbo failure. $3600. Turbo seal blew and oil killed it. At least it didn't kill the engine with it. This was 100% bone stock, and the car only had 55k on it. I'm not even sure if the new engine they put on was a complete assembly (including a turbo, etc) but if it was, that would mean this turbo only had about 20k on it. Ouch.
WRXHillClimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #31
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

anecdotal evidence guys.... Your data point is drowned out by the VAST majority of other good data points.

Here let me add one.

Our 2007 OUtback XT has been 100% flawless since I bought it new. The only thing I have had to repace was the passenger tail light.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #32
a2cpc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10139
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indy/Broad Ripple
Vehicle:
9&11 WRX 5Dr
DGM/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXHillClimb View Post
08/09 wrx by chance?

While we're at it, my gf's sister's rex (the one that got a brand new engine from the bearing failure) just had a turbo failure. $3600. Turbo seal blew and oil killed it. At least it didn't kill the engine with it. This was 100% bone stock, and the car only had 55k on it. I'm not even sure if the new engine they put on was a complete assembly (including a turbo, etc) but if it was, that would mean this turbo only had about 20k on it. Ouch.
Had an '08, have an '09 and a '11. Not a single problem with any of them.
a2cpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #33
WRXHillClimb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206907
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Abq, NM
Vehicle:
2014 EvoX GSR
2005 S2000 Track Car

Default

I know, but I'm just interested in specifically what subaru he has since he didn't say and his profile is blank
WRXHillClimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #34
Chin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 632
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Savage, MN
Vehicle:
'14 Audi RS5
'00 RS Track Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Chemical View Post
Number of times my SRT has been in the shop with issues in the last 6 years: 0
Number of miles: 140,000 (135,000 miles modded with straight pipes, CAI, and predator tune)
Number of DIY repairs: 1 tail light bulb replacement, 1 lift gate gas strut

F-ing bullet proof.

Compared to my 9 year run with my previous '04 STi (100% stock the entire time):
@1,000 miles - Complete catback exhaust replacement due to rust
@2,000 miles - Heat shield replacement
@2,900 miles - Clutch pedal replacement due to loud squeak
@16,000 miles - ECU replacement due to cylinder #3 misfires
@30,000 miles - A/C compressor replacement
@40,000 miles - Clutch replacement
@40,500 miles - Oh, hey, clutch pedal squeak is back
@50,000 miles - A/C compressor #2
@60,000 miles - Sold (still miss it even with the above issues)

Just sayin'. The Dodge/Chrysler stigma is quite unfounded with the SRT line.
....and I sold my '04 with 105xxx miles (and not stock). The only issue I had was the turbo blew when the oil feed clogged. The point? One persons experience does not make a car unreliable. Just sayin'.
Chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #35
Sun Chemical
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 46273
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Riverview, Florida
Vehicle:
2009 BMW 335i
2007 Magnum SRT8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
I was under the impression that Subaru exhausts were stainless steel...at least all 6 of mine were. And you live in florida? Hardly the salted road capital of the world.

How the hell did your heat sheild need replacement? Did you drop a log on it? Was it improperly installed from the factory. I mean heat sheilds are a piece of stamped metal. They do not really fail.

I am sorry for your other issues, but you are trying to build a case that a dodge product is more reliable than a Subaru... You are never going to gain any traction.
I am not. I thought it was clear in my post that I was countering Hill's inexperience with the brand (SRT, not plain-jane Dodge); I never said Dodge > Subaru. Just sharing my personal experience of my SRT8 and how trouble free it has been compared to my experience with the STi (had both at the same time for just over 4 years).
I also had an '01 Outback (problematic), '02 WRX (no issues other than RE-92s), and '07 Legacy GT (zero issues), so I have plenty of Subie experience, but they weren't germane to my point as I had the STi the longest and it was my daily. It was also the most trouble but still my favorite for all of the other things it got right. I still miss it every time I see one on the road.

To answer your questions:
The exhaust was corroded and replaced under warranty for rust. I was happy to get it back and didn't question it.
The heat shield was a defect from factory. It was vibrating horribly at low RPMs. Start slowing down for a light or traffic and BRRRRRRPPPPPPPP.

I should have pointed out everything except the second compressor and the clutch were warranty repairs. I was treated well by Subaru and the dealer was always courteous and up front with me, which is why I bought 4 vehicles from them in the space of 6 years.

I guess I shouldn't post when I am exhausted and not able to get my point across. There is a lot of hate on these boards for anything with the ram logo and most of it is deserved (the interiors, my god, the interiors), but SRT is just such a different beast from a regular, old Dodge sitting on blocks out in the yard that I felt compelled to share my experience.

So...long story short:
SRT = good. Subaru = good. Lack of sleep = bad. Re-92s = WTF.
Sun Chemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:40 PM   #36
4wdwrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 72042
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Sunshine
Vehicle:
2002 WRX impreza
WRB "Blue Mammoth"

Default

Yea, the people who have issues probably don't know how to drive or take care of the car.

It's like the saying, just because someone has kids doesn't mean they should have them, which is sad. One man suffocated his baby because the baby was distracting him playing xbox.

Anyways, regarding cars, I've seen interiors of people's newer subies, where the fake leather on the steering wheel and shift knob is all frayed and peeling off. How does that happen? Hands are sand paper?

Back to topic, Dodge Dart SRT sounds like it will be a good performance bargin
4wdwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #37
Gixhost
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 180111
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Land of Ham, MD
Vehicle:
* 2004.114.3 STi
Aspen White

Default

This is awesome and took far too long...but hopefully that's because Dodge wants to do things right this time...the previous SRT4 models all came on some sort of budget and not on the best platforms, the Dart is on a great platform. I can't wait! GM should have been all over something like this with the Cruze...it already had great looks better than the Dart IMO...but the next Cruze looks like crap.
Gixhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #38
neg_matnik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132389
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon SGM
2003 SV1000S, 2014 DL650

Default

Another manufacturer jumping onto the AWD bandwagon... What I see here is manufacturers jumping to a so-so AWD implementation instead of focusing on a great FWD implementation: added cost, added weight and extra pressure on the engine to compensate for AWD drivetrain losses.
Are we ready to buy a Dodge Dart at $32K~$35K? We know that's what it takes for a proper AWD system (STI, Evo and Golf R).
Because we're certainly not going to get a decently behaving performance AWD system in the Dodge Dart for the cost of a (new back then) Neon SRT-4.
neg_matnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #39
WRXHillClimb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206907
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Abq, NM
Vehicle:
2014 EvoX GSR
2005 S2000 Track Car

Default

I wonder how much of final MSRP is actually based on known consumer perception as well. We all know premium brands have way higher profit margins than most cars and offer relatively little improvements comfort wise (and have flat out worse maintenance req's), yet people flock to those anyways.

The dodge dart has the perception (at least to me) of being a lower quality vehicle compared to it's competitors from mazda, toyota, and even the pathetic honda. Considering it's priced similar to those, that only means two things to me: I'd never buy it and people who do are dumb and don't know cars as well as I do, or they wouldn't buy it either (I am very condescending).

Conversely, the evo and sti have always been closely matched at least to each other, and their prices are similar. I obviously prefer one (though maybe not for the reasons you think), however I consider both inferior value to the mustang GT.

That said, the stigma dodge legitimately has means that if this comes out, I'd expect it to be cheaper than the STI/EVO and when it turns out to be the same price, I'd write anyone up who bought it as either a fanboy or a retard the same as I do with the base dart.
WRXHillClimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #40
WRXHillClimb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206907
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Abq, NM
Vehicle:
2014 EvoX GSR
2005 S2000 Track Car

Default

I'm generally a really picky buyer, though, and once you get on my bad side I expect you to take a loss if you want to get me back to your products and think about what my long run relationship is worth.

Example: Microsoft had their bull**** about DRM with the xbox 1. They would have to offer a vastly superior product from the competition (to the point that there is no arguing it) for the same price or offer the same quality product at a MUCH lower price in order for me to buy from them, because they scalded me. I'm a very retributive person...
WRXHillClimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #41
neg_matnik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132389
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon SGM
2003 SV1000S, 2014 DL650

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXHillClimb View Post
I wonder how much of final MSRP is actually based on known consumer perception as well. We all know premium brands have way higher profit margins than most cars and offer relatively little improvements comfort wise (and have flat out worse maintenance req's), yet people flock to those anyways.

The dodge dart has the perception (at least to me) of being a lower quality vehicle compared to it's competitors from mazda, toyota, and even the pathetic honda. Considering it's priced similar to those, that only means two things to me: I'd never buy it and people who do are dumb and don't know cars as well as I do, or they wouldn't buy it either (I am very condescending).

Conversely, the evo and sti have always been closely matched at least to each other, and their prices are similar. I obviously prefer one (though maybe not for the reasons you think), however I consider both inferior value to the mustang GT.

That said, the stigma dodge legitimately has means that if this comes out, I'd expect it to be cheaper than the STI/EVO and when it turns out to be the same price, I'd write anyone up who bought it as either a fanboy or a retard the same as I do with the base dart.
You have a fair point about brand perception.
But, IMO, regardless of brand perception and even regardless of the manufacturer, offering a decent performance AWD system for less than $32k~$35k is a tall order.
So, in order to achieve a certain price point, manufacturers have to come up with an half-assed AWD system. Going all out with 3 mechanical locking/slip limiting/torque sensing has costly implications on the rest of the driveline (it demands a stronger clutch, a stronger tranny, stronger axles, stronger driveshaft, more power out of the engine to compensate for losses and added weight... so forth and so on).
That's why I'm saying that it might be better to concentrate on improving driving dynamics on existing FWD platforms instead of jumping to an AWD system.
One example that comes to mind is the latest VW Golf R (AWD) and the Seat Leon Cupra (FWD) using the same underpinnings.
Guess which one has better driving dynamics?
That's also why I'd prefer a FWD Focus RS over an AWD Focus RS.
neg_matnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #42
Cheddar7171
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 370298
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Vehicle:
2013 Scion FRS
White

Default

Im interested in transmission options........


:ib4autoonly:
Cheddar7171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:50 AM   #43
rob1n1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276425
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddar7171 View Post
Im interested in transmission options........


:ib4autoonly:
They wouldn't do that. Like the Focus ST, it's low market enough that the people who want it will want a 6-speed.
rob1n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:00 AM   #44
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewrx628 View Post
Im hoping this pushes ford to bring the AWD RS focus or Fiesta here
now HERE is the G0000000d news about this srt crap

the srt will be a huge steaming pile

the fraud(s)???

nah....
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #45
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1n1 View Post
They wouldn't do that. Like the Focus ST, it's low market enough that the people who want it will want a 6-speed.
Kinda like the new WRX, right?
FaastLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #46
Scooby921
Merci Buckets
Moderator
 
Member#: 88606
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Clarkston
Vehicle:
2011 GMC Sierra
'13 JCW

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiatlux View Post
This is fantastic news. With Mitsubishi pulling out Subaru would have a monopoly on the sub-30K AWD turbo market, and you know what that would have meant; stale products with no incentive to innovate.
A certain blue oval product in this market segment which is currently only available in Europe is planned to receive a "torque vectoring" AWD system and should also be making an appearance in the US market. Subaru will have to step up their game. Using the brakes to "vector" torque is not as cool as using gearing offsets to drive extra torque to the wheels. I fully expect the Dart AWD to be an open center and open rear diff as SRT would have eaten up enough budget just to fit an AWD system in there. I don't think FCA would let them spend another several hundred dollars per car to put a viscous or limited slip coupling in there.
Scooby921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:43 AM   #47
Gixhost
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 180111
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Land of Ham, MD
Vehicle:
* 2004.114.3 STi
Aspen White

Default

I am still interested in seeing what Chrysler can wring out of the Dart...the platform is already capable of supporting AWD. The Chrysler 200 offers it as an option with the Pentastar V6 making some decent power. It may not be the exact kind of advanced AWD system purists want to see, but it can send 60% of the power to the rear wheels and even if they threw it under the Dart mechanically unchanged with a more aggressive tune for the slushbox and a manual offering, you'd see a heck of a difference in performance vs a FWD model. I am sure they could squeeze improvements in the budget and still come out on top. If Chrysler can get the OK to rummage through the Fiat parts bin they could build something that rivals the WRX for a similar price.

I know it may sound a little far fetched...but an AWD Dart with the 4C motor bumped to 280-300hp would be a sweet, sweet thing...Now that Chrysler is pretty much in Fiats back pocket, wait I mean they are equals in this partnership thing *cough..owned* because its FCA now...they have access to the parts to build something equivalent to an Evolution or STi...but lets just start with the WRX for now.
Gixhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #48
Skunkers
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 115480
Join Date: May 2006
Location: St. Pete, FL
Vehicle:
2002 RSX-S
Desert Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixhost View Post
I know it may sound a little far fetched...but an AWD Dart with the 4C motor bumped to 280-300hp would be a sweet, sweet thing...Now that Chrysler is pretty much in Fiats back pocket, wait I mean they are equals in this partnership thing *cough..owned* because its FCA now...they have access to the parts to build something equivalent to an Evolution or STi...but lets just start with the WRX for now.
I feel like they should go to 300hp, since this car will be successor to the Caliber SRT4. On the other hand, all of about 4 people actually bought a Caliber SRT4 so i don't know if it even counts.
Skunkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #49
blubaru703
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 71380
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: International
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkers View Post
I feel like they should go to 300hp, since this car will be successor to the Caliber SRT4. On the other hand, all of about 4 people actually bought a Caliber SRT4 so i don't know if it even counts.
wasn't the caliber slower than the neon, even though it had more power?
blubaru703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #50
UKscooby
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33287
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: 2013 Focus ST, Yella
Vehicle:
RIP Nik
I will always miss you

Default

One point I didnt see mentioned was overall vehicle engineering. It isnt just about speed and handling. People were walking away from accidents in Subarus with mere bruises where similar accidents in the SRT4's had occupants smeared across the highway. To have that much power in such an unsafe vehicle at that time, was borderline criminal.
UKscooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.