Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 5, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #51
AndyRoo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 20952
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore, MD
Vehicle:
MINI & Datsun
BRG & White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2subiesinyard View Post
Looks Great !!! What is the measurement to the underside of the lip to the floor? When can we expect some first drive impressions? And, last question, you measured the spring rates of the factory bits and posted them in the OP, but they are like 5.3k..was this the spring / shock combined? Just wondering the delta is to the yellows measured the same way.
I got your email, my card number is coming.
That 5.3k means 5.3 kg/mm for the spring. Multiply by 56 to convert kg/mm to lbs/in.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AndyRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #52
2subiesinyard
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139562
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Voluntucky y'all !
Vehicle:
2015 Launch Edition
Pollen Green Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceComp Engineering View Post

STI front spring rates 5.8K
STI rear spring rates 5.3k
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRoo View Post
That 5.3k means 5.3 kg/mm for the spring. Multiply by 56 to convert kg/mm to lbs/in.

So....
STI front spring rates 5.8K = 324
STI rear spring rates 5.3k = 296

this would mean that the rates for the yellows are close to OEM, and yet offer the 3/4 in drop, correct?
2subiesinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #53
Josh_357
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339891
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Central PA
Vehicle:
2014 5-Door WRX
SWP

Default

Are the new sway bars backwards compatible to previous gen?
Josh_357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #54
RaceComp Engineering
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 54202
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Elkridge, Maryland
Vehicle:
ASK ABOUT NEW RCE
SWAY BARS FOR STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2subiesinyard View Post
So....
STI front spring rates 5.8K = 324
STI rear spring rates 5.3k = 296

this would mean that the rates for the yellows are close to OEM, and yet offer the 3/4 in drop, correct?
We have not released our rates just yet. They are not close to OEM, but they are not like before when the increase was more than 100lbs. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Subaru did an awesome job of raising the bar. But yes we still increased rates and decreased understeer for a more neutral handling car.

Myles
RaceComp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #55
stevesnow
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 387752
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru WRX Prem
CVT Galaxy Blue Pearl

Default

Just finished auto-crossing the first time Sunday in my 2015 WRX. Car definitely plows when taking speed into turns. A lot of the under-steer is my fault but I cant help to contemplate a larger rear swaybar. I am sure negative camber in the front and rear will help but not eliminate like someone said above. I am wondering what I should do:

Note: This is also my my DD so I'd like to not have to max the negative camber as I will have it from April-ish - Early November :/ Don't know exactly how this will affect my DDing. I think the shocks are a perfect mix for DDing & Autocross at the moment and may move to something adjustable at around 60k miles or so when these wear out a little...

3 options:
1) No Camber & Get a Rear Sway? Which Size and what adjustment? I am thinking a 22 Perrin or 22 Whiteline 3 hole adjustable since the front is 23 and probably the middle or stiffest setting... I want the car to be close to neutral on auto-x without feeling out of control when taking turns at higher speeds (on/off ramps and such or track if I ever do that)
2) Max Negative Camber no Sway - I'd rather do this as I know that a sway isn't hard to put on but this is just a cheaper easier fix. At least to me and I don't have to install anything and mess with settings.
3) Max Negative Camber & Sway - Doing Both and probably a 22 bar on its softest setting?
stevesnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #56
jaboyd
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 247304
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Knoxville, TN
Vehicle:
2011 STI
WR Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnow View Post
Just finished auto-crossing the first time Sunday in my 2015 WRX. Car definitely plows when taking speed into turns. A lot of the under-steer is my fault but I cant help to contemplate a larger rear swaybar. I am sure negative camber in the front and rear will help but not eliminate like someone said above. I am wondering what I should do:

Note: This is also my my DD so I'd like to not have to max the negative camber as I will have it from April-ish - Early November :/ Don't know exactly how this will affect my DDing. I think the shocks are a perfect mix for DDing & Autocross at the moment and may move to something adjustable at around 60k miles or so when these wear out a little...

3 options:
1) No Camber & Get a Rear Sway? Which Size and what adjustment? I am thinking a 22 Perrin or 22 Whiteline 3 hole adjustable since the front is 23 and probably the middle or stiffest setting... I want the car to be close to neutral on auto-x without feeling out of control when taking turns at higher speeds (on/off ramps and such or track if I ever do that)
2) Max Negative Camber no Sway - I'd rather do this as I know that a sway isn't hard to put on but this is just a cheaper easier fix. At least to me and I don't have to install anything and mess with settings.
3) Max Negative Camber & Sway - Doing Both and probably a 22 bar on its softest setting?
The 2015 has a pretty nice suspension setup but it certainly can be improved ....but doesn't need too much for a good DD/occassional autox. While the STI has what appears to be better damping the overall set ups are similar with WRX. If I were going to run the car on stock suspension I'd upgrade the springs (stiffer) with a 1/2" - 3/4" drop, and stiffen the bars as well as upgrade key bushings in the car. later you can change out the struts if you wished.

If the car is DD with occasional autox and you want to stay on stock suspension/springs then you are right your choices are a combination of camber and bars. Most people that autox want more oversteer so they run a stiffer rear bar, more front camber and less rear camber but this needs to be compromised for street use and your driving style/preference.

General suggestions-

Front camber: max out but match side to side front camber (probably around -1.5 deg) or add camber bolts and get as close to -2 deg as you can.

Rear camber: -1.0 to -1.2 deg is a good street/autox compromise

Swaybars: The front bar is probably fine but the ability to stiffen the rear bar will give the ability to change from DD to autox very easily. With stock suspension I'd be looking at a 22mm solid rear bar (21, 22, 23mm settings) with 22 or 23mm for autox and 21mm for DD.

Suggestion: better tires DII or RE11A.
jaboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #57
katsimbris
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132952
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Delaware
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX STi
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnow View Post
Just finished auto-crossing the first time Sunday...
Keep in mind that different modifications will put you in a different class. This may not matter to you, but if it does, try to read up on the rulebook (http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44517), or look at this thread. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970625

Like I said, might not matter for you, and you could just be racing on raw times to see where stack up to others. And that's totally cool.

Mike K
katsimbris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #58
RaceComp Engineering
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 54202
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Elkridge, Maryland
Vehicle:
ASK ABOUT NEW RCE
SWAY BARS FOR STI

Default

Definitely need some front camber no matter what option. Start there...it's cheap and easy and a "must do."

- Andy
RaceComp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #59
Nmullin11
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 353683
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Northern va
Vehicle:
2015 Wrx limited
Wrb

Default 2015 WRX and STI suspension TECH thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiz View Post
will the drop be the same even if its in a wrx?

This. Well kind of, I'd assume the Wrx will get its own version but I want that same stance. Looks perfect.


Take my money!!!


Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
Nmullin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #60
stevesnow
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 387752
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru WRX Prem
CVT Galaxy Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd View Post
The 2015 has a pretty nice suspension setup but it certainly can be improved ....but doesn't need too much for a good DD/occassional autox. While the STI has what appears to be better damping the overall set ups are similar with WRX. If I were going to run the car on stock suspension I'd upgrade the springs (stiffer) with a 1/2" - 3/4" drop, and stiffen the bars as well as upgrade key bushings in the car. later you can change out the struts if you wished.

If the car is DD with occasional autox and you want to stay on stock suspension/springs then you are right your choices are a combination of camber and bars. Most people that autox want more oversteer so they run a stiffer rear bar, more front camber and less rear camber but this needs to be compromised for street use and your driving style/preference.

General suggestions-

Front camber: max out but match side to side front camber (probably around -1.5 deg) or add camber bolts and get as close to -2 deg as you can.

Rear camber: -1.0 to -1.2 deg is a good street/autox compromise

Swaybars: The front bar is probably fine but the ability to stiffen the rear bar will give the ability to change from DD to autox very easily. With stock suspension I'd be looking at a 22mm solid rear bar (21, 22, 23mm settings) with 22 or 23mm for autox and 21mm for DD.

Suggestion: better tires DII or RE11A.
Yeah I am leaning towards the RE-11A due to it being a DD and those tires have great reviews about being fairly quiet on the road and providing excellent wet grip over other auto-x tires while only shedding a little dry traction compared to ZII and RS3's...

I think I will start with -1.5 camber in the front and -1.0 in the rear in the spring with new tires, along with tire pressures about 4 psi higher in the front and see how that goes, I may get the 22mm bar if it's still too much understeer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsimbris View Post
Keep in mind that different modifications will put you in a different class. This may not matter to you, but if it does, try to read up on the rulebook (http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44517), or look at this thread. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970625

Like I said, might not matter for you, and you could just be racing on raw times to see where stack up to others. And that's totally cool.

Mike K
I was thinking it didn't matter but the more I think about it I would like to be a little competitive. I ran in STX but was told I needed to be in DS or STU I did STX so I could race in the morning session with a friend. Looking at STU I don't think I would stand a chance hah so I'd like to stay in DS I guess so plans are: RE-11A's, camber that was mentioned above and I am allowed 1 sway bar so maybe rear if it's needed... Am I allowed a pitch-stop mount? lol and/or a strut tower brace? in DS? I know this is a suspension thread so I we don't need to discuss at length...
stevesnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #61
RaceComp Engineering
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 54202
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Elkridge, Maryland
Vehicle:
ASK ABOUT NEW RCE
SWAY BARS FOR STI

Default

Rear camber is not adjustable stock FYI...

- Andy
RaceComp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:31 AM   #62
bunz559
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 388585
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: clovis, ca
Vehicle:
2015 wrx base
ISM

Default

Great information here guys! Keep up the great work. Learning so much.
bunz559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #63
stevesnow
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 387752
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru WRX Prem
CVT Galaxy Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceComp Engineering View Post
lowered half and inch on T2's rear camber is -2.0 and -1.9 front. Stock mounts.

Caster is +6.9ish.

Stock suspension -1.5 is doable. rear -1.7

Mw
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceComp Engineering View Post
Rear camber is not adjustable stock FYI...

- Andy
Oh, what did the above rear negative camber mean?
stevesnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #64
RaceComp Engineering
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 54202
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Elkridge, Maryland
Vehicle:
ASK ABOUT NEW RCE
SWAY BARS FOR STI

Default

RACECOMP ENGINEERING 2015 WRX PROTOTYPE LOWERING SPRINGS .

* .9 inch drop
* increase spring rates
* more info soon.

(car shown has 18inch STI wheels installed)

TAKING PREORDERS NOW!!!!






Last edited by RaceComp Engineering; 08-13-2014 at 04:52 PM.
RaceComp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:31 AM   #65
Rhiz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 395552
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Manila
Vehicle:
2007 WRX STI
Silver

Default

will this be the only lowering spring? i was hoping for a little more drop
Rhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #66
RaceComp Engineering
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 54202
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Elkridge, Maryland
Vehicle:
ASK ABOUT NEW RCE
SWAY BARS FOR STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiz View Post
will this be the only lowering spring? i was hoping for a little more drop
We have never made a super low or even "low" drop springs. We make springs to actually improve handling not improve looks only.

Myles
RaceComp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #67
Jonnyfive
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 395731
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceComp Engineering View Post
We have never made a super low or even "low" drop springs. We make springs to actually improve handling not improve looks only.

Myles
You just got another fan.
Jonnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #68
Ultimateone
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 48025
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: By the Ocean, MA
Vehicle:
15 Mustang EB
Black

Default

What is the price?
Ultimateone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #69
ontariotibv6
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306336
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Vehicle:
16 WRX
ISM

Default

So will these springs for the WRX lower the car a bit more than the STI springs or is it just because the STI is a little lower to start? Will the ground clearance effectively be the same? Also are these springs the same rate for the WRX and STI?
ontariotibv6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #70
RaceComp Engineering
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 54202
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Elkridge, Maryland
Vehicle:
ASK ABOUT NEW RCE
SWAY BARS FOR STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontariotibv6 View Post
So will these springs for the WRX lower the car a bit more than the STI springs or is it just because the STI is a little lower to start? Will the ground clearance effectively be the same? Also are these springs the same rate for the WRX and STI?
Both cars side by side with our springs will sit the same height. Yes because the STI sits lower than the WRX.

Myles
RaceComp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #71
RaceComp Engineering
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 54202
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Elkridge, Maryland
Vehicle:
ASK ABOUT NEW RCE
SWAY BARS FOR STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimateone View Post
What is the price?
same price as our GR springs are now.

Mw
RaceComp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #72
jonoc4
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 387455
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Ottawa
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
Crystal White Pearl

Default

good work guys. So nice. can't wait to get a set.
jonoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #73
Scino
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 381623
Join Date: Feb 2014
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Shoreline, WA
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru WRX
WRB

Default

Will the differences between yellow and black for 15 WRX be significant like last gen?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using NASIOC mobile app
Scino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #74
RaceComp Engineering
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 54202
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Elkridge, Maryland
Vehicle:
ASK ABOUT NEW RCE
SWAY BARS FOR STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scino View Post
Will the differences between yellow and black for 15 WRX be significant like last gen?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using NASIOC mobile app
Dont know yet. Still feeling the market. We will only do Blacks( Regular Guy Springs) if the demand is there.

Myles
RaceComp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #75
IVORYREX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 391966
Join Date: May 2014
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: CROFTON, MD
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
CWP

Default

This is my car in the pictures. They've only been on two days. No, the drop isn't crazy low, the ride is not harsh, and it doesn't make for a bumpy/bouncy ride. What is does do is ride much more smoothly, corning as been nicely flattened out, and Im quite happy with the drop.

I highly recommend these springs!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceComp Engineering View Post
RACECOMP ENGINEERING 2015 WRX PROTOTYPE LOWERING SPRINGS .

* .9 inch drop
* increase spring rates
* more info soon.

(car shown has 18inch STI wheels installed)

TAKING PREORDERS NOW!!!!





IVORYREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2015, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.