Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2002, 01:47 AM   #1
Jake Steed
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 24756
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: L.A We Burn It All Down!
Vehicle:
2002 WRX sedan with
scratch marks and dirt

Default VF series turbo size compared to Mitsubishi..

I was wondering how big the various VF series turbos are compared to the Mitsubishi turbos.

For example is a VF34 around the same size as a 16G? Also, does anyone know how many CFM's they flow?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Jake Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 02:10 AM   #2
sponaugle
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4498
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, Oregon
Vehicle:
WRX H6-3.0 Turbo
www.surgelinetuning.com

Default

This is from www.wrxworld.com

Stock Turbo 360CFM at 14.7PSI
IHI VF-22 435CFM at 18.0PSI
Small 16G 505CFM at 14.7PSI
Large 16G 550CFM at 14.7PSI
20G 650CFM at 14.7PSI
AVO 450HP 630CFM at 20.0PSI
AVO 500HP 740CFM at 23.0PSI


I'm running the new AVO 500HP turbo. Just intalled, tuning right now, dyno number soon. 24psi at 8k RPM is pretty sweet though.

-Jeff Sponaugle
sponaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 07:23 AM   #3
VetteVert
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5961
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Boone, NC
Vehicle:
2005 STi
CGM

Default

Make sure to post a new thread with the info

VV

Quote:
Originally posted by sponaugle
This is from www.wrxworld.com

Stock Turbo 360CFM at 14.7PSI
IHI VF-22 435CFM at 18.0PSI
Small 16G 505CFM at 14.7PSI
Large 16G 550CFM at 14.7PSI
20G 650CFM at 14.7PSI
AVO 450HP 630CFM at 20.0PSI
AVO 500HP 740CFM at 23.0PSI


I'm running the new AVO 500HP turbo. Just intalled, tuning right now, dyno number soon. 24psi at 8k RPM is pretty sweet though.

-Jeff Sponaugle
VetteVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 08:23 AM   #4
Austin
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7089
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Western Wa
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by sponaugle
I'm running the new AVO 500HP turbo. Just intalled, tuning right now, dyno number soon. 24psi at 8k RPM is pretty sweet though.

-Jeff Sponaugle
So, what you're saying is... I'm *not* going to be passing you this Sunday?

Those AVO's are bolt on, internally gated, right? Any problems so far controlling boost?
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 12:13 PM   #5
sponaugle
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4498
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, Oregon
Vehicle:
WRX H6-3.0 Turbo
www.surgelinetuning.com

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Austin
So, what you're saying is... I'm *not* going to be passing you this Sunday?

Those AVO's are bolt on, internally gated, right? Any problems so far controlling boost?
Well..... Yea. Thats the plan at least. I just put in the 3 bar map sensor so I can run 24-25psi with the link correctly. booohhahahaahah.

It's no autocross turbo, but at the track it should be pretty rocking.

Yes, the AVO is a direct bolt on (actually it did require a bit a work, just a few minor tweaks). Internally wastegated, and no problems with boost yet.. but then again I'm running 22+ psi, so I might not notice it is creeped at lower psi. This is not a turbo to run at 16psi... it is less efficient there than at 20..


Jeff
sponaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 12:35 AM   #6
annointed
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 5960
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Atlantic City, NJ
Vehicle:
FXT 11.6@118 93 oct
NSX 450 whp SC'd (93 oct)

Default

Also, FWIW, the 18G compressor wheel flows 600 cfm @ 1 bar (which is 14.5 or 14.7 psi, depending on the source)
annointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 01:05 PM   #7
sponaugle
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4498
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, Oregon
Vehicle:
WRX H6-3.0 Turbo
www.surgelinetuning.com

Default

Updated

Stock Turbo 360CFM at 14.7PSI
AVO 320HP 429CFM at 17.5PSI
IHI VF-22 435CFM at 18.0PSI
Small 16G 505CFM at 14.7PSI
Large 16G 550CFM at 14.7PSI
AVO 400HP 572CFM at 17.5PSI
18G 600CFM at 14.7PSI
20G 650CFM at 14.7PSI
AVO 450HP 630CFM at 20.0PSI
AVO 500HP 740CFM at 23.0PSI

Anyone with the SR30/40/50 numbers?
sponaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 03:51 PM   #8
scottm1978
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13284
Join Date: Dec 2001
Default

so what is the spec for a VF30?

Quote:
Originally posted by sponaugle
Updated

Stock Turbo 360CFM at 14.7PSI
AVO 320HP 429CFM at 17.5PSI
IHI VF-22 435CFM at 18.0PSI
Small 16G 505CFM at 14.7PSI
Large 16G 550CFM at 14.7PSI
AVO 400HP 572CFM at 17.5PSI
18G 600CFM at 14.7PSI
20G 650CFM at 14.7PSI
AVO 450HP 630CFM at 20.0PSI
AVO 500HP 740CFM at 23.0PSI

Anyone with the SR30/40/50 numbers?
scottm1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 05:42 PM   #9
BamBooI
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10945
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: SC
Vehicle:
2006 Evolution IX

Default

Someone make some dsm turbo ready uppipe and downpipe please!!!!! Big 16g!
BamBooI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:08 PM   #10
DanMan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5009
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Default

24 psi! What is the compression on your motor jeff? 8:1 or 9:1? Also, do you know if the pistons/rods are forged? I mean... man, that's a lot of air you're pushing.

Also, what are your thoughts on running such a large turbo off of a rather restrictive inlet hose? How large is the inlet on that turbo compaired to your VF22 (outside diameter, i'm sure its tapered to the edge on the inside).

And finally, where are you seeing the onset of boost and when do you see full boost? Once again, seems like a lot of turbo for a stock style uppipe and downpipe.

Thanks Jeff!

Dan

Quote:
Originally posted by sponaugle


Well..... Yea. Thats the plan at least. I just put in the 3 bar map sensor so I can run 24-25psi with the link correctly. booohhahahaahah.

It's no autocross turbo, but at the track it should be pretty rocking.

Yes, the AVO is a direct bolt on (actually it did require a bit a work, just a few minor tweaks). Internally wastegated, and no problems with boost yet.. but then again I'm running 22+ psi, so I might not notice it is creeped at lower psi. This is not a turbo to run at 16psi... it is less efficient there than at 20..


Jeff
DanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:29 PM   #11
BamBooI
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10945
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: SC
Vehicle:
2006 Evolution IX

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by DanMan
24 psi! What is the compression on your motor jeff? 8:1 or 9:1? Also, do you know if the pistons/rods are forged? I mean... man, that's a lot of air you're pushing.

Also, what are your thoughts on running such a large turbo off of a rather restrictive inlet hose? How large is the inlet on that turbo compaired to your VF22 (outside diameter, i'm sure its tapered to the edge on the inside).

And finally, where are you seeing the onset of boost and when do you see full boost? Once again, seems like a lot of turbo for a stock style uppipe and downpipe.

Thanks Jeff!

Dan


He has a Sti swap I believe and he is not running stock up and downpipes...
BamBooI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:32 PM   #12
tuca33
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 24303
Join Date: Sep 2002
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Black

Default

What are the numbers for the VF34??
PE1818 and PE1820?
Thanks
Tuca
tuca33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:50 PM   #13
DanMan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5009
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by BamBooI


He has a Sti swap I believe and he is not running stock up and downpipes...
Yes, I know. And he's still running a perrin uppipe and a BPM downpipe which still follow the stock design.

Dan
DanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Place to buy a vf series turbo??? disque71 Newbies & FAQs 8 09-24-2004 09:37 PM
Best Place to buy a vf series turbo??? disque71 Normally Aspirated with bolt-on Forced Induction Powertrain 2 09-24-2004 06:40 PM
Anybody in MI looking to sell a VF series turbo? Hondaslayer Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 11 10-31-2003 09:12 AM
Whats needed to run a VF series turbo? Impreza25RS Normally Aspirated with bolt-on Forced Induction Powertrain 13 01-12-2003 01:17 PM
which of the aps sr series turbo can compare to a garrett t3/t4 STEALTH-WRX Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 3 06-25-2002 07:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.