Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
smallfrye
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 223745
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Black

Default 2009 WRX Premium- Aftermarket Nav

Vehicle- 2009 WRX
Want- I want to replace the stock head/ nav unit with an aftermarket one. I want the iphone jack/bluetooth capability to play MP3s. A good navigation system is a must, preferably with Garmin nav.
Budget- I am just in the research phase now and do not have a budget, but preferably less than $1000, maybe around $700?
Experience- none. I have no wiring/electronic experience and would have someone else install it.
Current/ Future mods- as far as audio goes, none. I do not plan on doing more mods in the future, but a unit that allows for upgrades wouldn't be a bad idea.

In general, I am looking for an aftermarket nav/head unit that is reliable, has bluetooth and/or an audio jack for MP3. I want one that fits where the stock one is now without having to mod the dash at all (not sure of the measurements). Since the CD/DVD slot on the 09 is behind the head unit (accessible through the tilt down feature), I need one that can tilt down as well. I have searched the forums for a similar thread but the ones that I have found were at least 3 years old, so I'm hoping there is new info/products out there. Cost is not an issue at this point. A reliable GPS is a must, preferably with a free update feature. So far I have glanced at a few Kenwood models, but being inexperienced, I'm not sure what to go for. Any info and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
smallfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
millertime359
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 393302
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Sport

Your going to have a shop install it I see.

1. Do you have a shop in mind? If not, start doing research on local shops. You want a to find a quality shop that knows what they are doing and won't cause more issues by hacking up your harness.

2. Most shops will have a sound board with the radios hooked up and working. Start by going there and playing with the different units. Decide which ones you like the best. Everyone has their favorites.

3. Steering wheel controls? There is an add-on module that runs for about $50 to keep those. ASWC-1

4. Dash, there isn't any mods that need to be done, just replace the bezel with this one:
Amazon.com: SUBARU 66065SC130 GENUINE OEM FACTORY ORIGINAL CENTER PANEL: AutomotiveAmazon.com: SUBARU 66065SC130 GENUINE OEM FACTORY ORIGINAL CENTER PANEL: Automotive

Option 2 is to use a dash kit that just fills the holes in which is cheaper. Personally, that bezel will look nicer so I would go for that. The install shop will have the dash kit if you decide to go that route.

Personally, I have not had good experience with Kenwood, but I have had with Pioneer, so I tend to stick with Pioneer units. I have a 5000NEX in my car and I really like it. I've had higher end Kenwood Excelon units that both died after about 2 years. They were in separate vehicles. This was a few years ago as well.

As you want a Garmin based GPS, you are pretty much stuck with Kenwood.

As far as your budget, depending on what you find, less than $1000 should be right on target. I would plan for where you are planning $700-$1000.
millertime359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
smallfrye
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 223745
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Black

Great! Thanks for the info. Yes I will want to retain my steering wheel controls, so that is good to know. As for the GPS, I say I prefer Garmin only because I have used them in the past and they have been reliable for me, HOWEVER, if there is a better one out there, I am all ears. I will definitely have to look at units in person. As for shops, I do not have one in mind. Are there any big name stores that are reliable such as Best Buy??(although I think I already know the answer to that) The only reason I ask is because all of the specialty shops in my area, at least the ones that I have seen, look pretty sketch.
smallfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
millertime359
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 393302
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallfrye View Post
Great! Thanks for the info. Yes I will want to retain my steering wheel controls, so that is good to know. As for the GPS, I say I prefer Garmin only because I have used them in the past and they have been reliable for me, HOWEVER, if there is a better one out there, I am all ears. I will definitely have to look at units in person. As for shops, I do not have one in mind. Are there any big name stores that are reliable such as Best Buy??(although I think I already know the answer to that) The only reason I ask is because all of the specialty shops in my area, at least the ones that I have seen, look pretty sketch.
Honestly, most car stereo shops do seem to look that way. Best thing to do is just go into them and talk with them, see if they have a portfolio of custom jobs they have done. See how busy they are, chat up some customers in there and see who is repeat. Sometimes if I guy just got done getting an install, he might even be willing to show it off to you.

As far as big box stores, the can be a little sketchy as well. It all depends on the installer. You may find your local Bestbuy actually has a couple of good installers.

Bestbuy does normally stock Kenwood, Pioneer, and Alpine head units. I actually went in there to check out the 5000NEX before I bought it from crutchfield as they had it on display and they are less than a mile from my house. So you can check them out as well and see what they have to sample.
millertime359 is offline   Reply With Quote