Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday October 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Dealership Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-09-2002, 02:59 PM   #1
Fat Ugly Soccer Mom
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 14703
Vehicle:
1987 Minivan
Doo-doo Brown

Thumbs down Thomas Dodge Subaru - NY

Steer clear of Thomas Dodge Subaru in Port Jefferson NY. These guys will lie and scam you without hesitating.

My car ('02 WRX that I bought new) recently died on me while out one evening. Stepping on the gas caused the car to sputter out and stop running. Obviously this poses a problem. After repeated stalls and just trying to get the car moving, I finally get the car rollin' and I bring it right to the dealership where I bought it (Thomas) and leave it there to be looked at.

The service rep from Thomas Dodge calls me the following day. She says my car will need a new egt sensor and an entire new exhaust because the last two catalytic converters in my exhaust are destroyed and the car "isn't drivable with that exhaust on it". She blames the problem on my manual boost controller, which gives me 1 extra lb of boost. I baby my car, and do not do high speed runs in it. The likelyhood of the heat melting my exhaust is 1 in a million. She says the exhaust will cost $1100 before labor, plus the sensor will cost money to buy and install. Additionally, none of this will be covered under my warranty due to the modification on the car (no surprise there though), and that a Subaru of America rep happened to be there that day as well, and he blamed it on the same thing.

After hearing this, I began looking around doing some research for people with similar problems here on the club and on clubwrx.net to find that my set of circumstances match exactly those of many others whose egt sensor's have died on them, causing their car to go into "limp mode" like mine was. The solution involves purchasing a resistor (you get 5 for $1 from Radio Shack) and inserting it where the sensor connects.

So I stop by the dealership and talk to the sales person who sold me my car and ask him to look into whether or not I really need a whole new exhaust. He calls me back to inform me that "yeah, the mechanic showed me your exhaust, the cat's are all melted. You're gonna need a new one". I get the mechanics name and call him then. He tells me a similar story as the service rep and the salesman. I asked him why do I need a new egt sensor, because that sensor just monitors the cat in the uppipe, and my aftermarket uppipe doesn't have a cat at all. I explain that one can simply put a resistor in place of it. I also ask him some questions on how the heat was so high that it mangled 2 cats but didn't hurt my turbo. He just tells me that I need to speak with my service rep if I want to cancel the order on the parts that I bought.

I call the service rep again, and tell her to leave my car how it is, leave my exhaust on and in the car (because they had it taken apart), I'm coming to get it. After getting my car back, I examined the so-called destroyed cats. They still look brand new. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with them.

Summary: Unless you like being lied to and want to spend lots of money on things that you don't even need, DON'T GO NEAR THEM. Thomas Dodge Subaru gets the :monkey: for lying and charging me to take my exhaust apart. I hope a metoer lands on their crappy dealership.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Fat Ugly Soccer Mom is offline   Reply With Quote